Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

this better not end up like Silva/Leites

Anderson trains with people as good as Maia on the ground (like Jacare & Andre Galvao), but its going to be close to impossible for Maia to get someone imitate Anderson's standup

I don't know how to feel about this. I guess it is the best possible outcome that involved the belt being contested. That is, other than Hendo breaking his contract and showing up in Abu Dhabi. But somehow I do not see that happening.

I am pretty sure that this will not be like the Leites fight. At least I sure hope it is not. That was a mess and I am sure Dana had a chat with Maia before the deal was signed essentially saying that if he got the title shot, it better be a fight, not rolling around on the mat by yourself.

It is obvious that Maia's best, and probably only chance is on the ground, but I don't think there will be a repeat of a Leites-esque performance in a main event anytime soon.

What a joke, Maia is going to get slaughtered. Calling the ghosts of Ryo Chonnen.

Entirely possible that Maia gets defeated soundly. But I don't know if there was a better option that included Anderson putting the belt on the line.

Sonnen is out for a while following injuries in his fight. Belfort is out for six months. You really can't give it to Marquardt after he just got beaten by Sonnen. I know Maia lost to Marquardt, but he also beat Sonnen and is 12-1. After Okami lost to Sonnen, he is not going to get a chance any time soon. Nobody knows where Akiyama is.

I guess they could ave waited until the result of the Wandy-Bisping fight, but there is no guarantee either of those guys comes out healthy.

Wow could they have picked a fighter with less standup than Maia? Not to mention, Anderson probably won't even try that hard against him because he's not Japanese or American. This definitely sounds like another Silva/Leites fight IMO.

I think I would've rather had Anderson wait a few more months on a better opponent.

OTOH, the only two rounds that I can think of that Anderson has lost in the UFC were both on the ground. But I just don't see anything to be excited about in this fight.

Entirely possible that Maia gets defeated soundly. But I don't know if there was a better option that included Anderson putting the belt on the line.

Sonnen is out for a while following injuries in his fight. Belfort is out for six months. You really can't give it to Marquardt after he just got beaten by Sonnen. I know Maia lost to Marquardt, but he also beat Sonnen and is 12-1. After Okami lost to Sonnen, he is not going to get a chance any time soon. Nobody knows where Akiyama is.

I guess they could ave waited until the result of the Wandy-Bisping fight, but there is no guarantee either of those guys comes out healthy.

I agree 100%

Maia is 10 seconds from being undefeated and the clear cut #1 contender. He let his guard down for a split second and Marquartd put him to sleep. He tapped out Sonnen. He deserves this as much as anyone. I bet he was one more win away from a title shot anyway.

The winner of Bisping-Wandy as not close to a title shot. Wandy has too many losses recently, and Bisping is too fresh off getting his clock cleaned by Hendo.

The winner of Bisping-Wandy as not close to a title shot. Wandy has too many losses recently, and Bisping is too fresh off getting his clock cleaned by Hendo.

I agree, and I brought Akiyama up a few times in the last few days...apparently he is next for the winner of Wandy-Bisping.

A win over Michael Bisping might get Wanderlei Silva a showdown with Yoshihiro Akiyama after all.

Akiyama waits in the wings for the winner of the Feb. 20 bout in Australia between Silva and Bisping at UFC 110, Fighters Only magazine reports. Silva-Akiyama initially was considered for UFC's Austrialian debut before Akiyama was displaced in favor of Bisping.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/mma/post/2010/02/akiyama-on-tap-for-bisping-wanderlei-winner-/1

Edited by lovetoaster

Yeah you can dissect middleweight like we've done for years and come up with a, "well it filters down to this fighter" type of thing all you want. The matchup is a joke. Anderson is going to cave that dude's face in or there will be some sort of freak submission. Don't be surprised if Anderson treats this fight like a session of jumping jacks. Boring.

Put the belt on hold, hold a middleweight tourney during the spring/summer/fall. Winner fights Anderson. That would be much more entertaining. Make it well-known, too. "WINNER OF THIS TOURNEY FIGHTS ANDERSON". That would be awesome! In the mean time, put him against a LHW, even a HW. If he wins another fight in LHW, he'll be ready to fight Shogun (assuming he beats Machida) late in the year.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Put the belt on hold, hold a middleweight tourney during the spring/summer/fall. Winner fights Anderson. That would be much more entertaining. Make it well-known, too. "WINNER OF THIS TOURNEY FIGHTS ANDERSON". That would be awesome! In the mean time, put him against a LHW, even a HW. If he wins another fight in LHW, he'll be ready to fight Shogun (assuming he beats Machida) late in the year.

I agree, that is a good idea, but it will be almost exactly a year since he has defended the belt when he fights Maia in April (assuming no injuries beforehand). Maybe they can set something like that up after this fight, but I just think that the champ has to put the belt on the line periodically. And it has been too long.

And Shogun (assuming he beats Machida)? I think that might be a pretty big assumption right now. I am curious to see what Machida's game plan is in that fight, since Shogun seemed to have solved him better than anybody else has so far. I am sure he will shake things up a bit. I will be rooting for Shogun, but I am not sure who I would actually favor right now. The odds shoud be pretty close.

The time is now for Anderson Silva to just vacate the middle-weight belt and move to Light Heavyweight. He has already proven he can hang at LHW, and right now the Middleweight division is suffering from the same problem as Welterweight and Lightweight, which is that the champion of said divisions are basically in a league of their own, and anytime someone is named #1 contender, it is simply because a "#1 contender" is needed in order to hype the next title fight in said divisions.

This way Anderson Silva actually gets some competative competition, and it allows for his shadow to vanish from a division that desperately needs other fighters to grow and mature and for some other fighters to come out on top.

The time is now for Anderson Silva to just vacate the middle-weight belt and move to Light Heavyweight. He has already proven he can hang at LHW, and right now the Middleweight division is suffering from the same problem as Welterweight and Lightweight, which is that the champion of said divisions are basically in a league of their own, and anytime someone is named #1 contender, it is simply because a "#1 contender" is needed in order to hype the next title fight in said divisions.

This way Anderson Silva actually gets some competative competition, and it allows for his shadow to vanish from a division that desperately needs other fighters to grow and mature and for some other fighters to come out on top.

anderson wont vacate the MW title as long as Machida has the LHW title.

Doubt that is going to happen any time soon.

Yeah you can dissect middleweight like we've done for years and come up with a, "well it filters down to this fighter" type of thing all you want. The matchup is a joke. Anderson is going to cave that dude's face in or there will be some sort of freak submission. Don't be surprised if Anderson treats this fight like a session of jumping jacks. Boring.

The matchup is far from a joke. Maia is a top contender in the world. It isn;t his fault that the champ is so dominating. I'd say GSP-Hardy and Penn-Edgar are more of a joke than this. We all thought Serra-GSP was a joke. Most thought Sonnen-Marquartd was a joke. Now all of the sudden Sonnen is #1.

I'd put my money on Maia against Sonnen or Vitor (who does not deserve a title shot yet, imo).

I'd say GSP-Hardy and Penn-Edgar are more of a joke than this.

This is very true. I think that the style matchup is what makes it not-so-interesting. I mean, it's very possible that Maia could get this fight to the ground and choke Anderson out one way or another, but I think it's much more likely that Anderson wins by KTFO.

The matchup is far from a joke. Maia is a top contender in the world. It isn;t his fault that the champ is so dominating. I'd say GSP-Hardy and Penn-Edgar are more of a joke than this. We all thought Serra-GSP was a joke. Most thought Sonnen-Marquartd was a joke. Now all of the sudden Sonnen is #1.

I'd put my money on Maia against Sonnen or Vitor (who does not deserve a title shot yet, imo).

Everybody you mentioned has some sort of threatening standup game. Maia has the weakest standup Anderson will probably have ever faced. It's a match up nightmare; at least Serra had a bombastic right hand and a ground game for backup. Maia's gameplan will stick out like the Sun on a clear day. He's not well-rounded. Everything he does will be to setup a takedown. The stars have aligned for Maia to get this title shot, to me he is not ready to take on Anderson, nor is it very justifiable. Sure, he's a top contender in the world, you can say that about most people in the UFC, but he's getting this title shot with a much more recent setback than Hendo or Marquardt did before they left/lost. I'd much rather see a tourney than a desperation substitute. Have Anderson fight a LHW or HW while the belt is on hold. I might be crazy, but that sounds way more entertaining.

Right and Anderson Silva's ground game is also very underrated due to the fact that his opponents are basically WHOOPED before there is ever time for the match to go to the ground.

The reason I sugged Silva move up immediately is because he has made it clear he is not going to be a fighter that fights late into his twilight years. If he is serious about wanting to take on the best in the LHW division, then I think he should attempt to do it while he is still in his prime.

Also, people need to realize, the greatest athletes YEARN to challenge themselves. That is why BJ Penn is not satissfied at being above and beyond the rest of the pack at 155. He may not ever be considered the best at 170, but as long as he can tool everyone at 155 he knows that better challenges await him somewhere else. Same with GSP, which is why he could be a fight or two away from moving up. Same with Anderson Silva.

LHW division is still the one division where it is way to early to put one fighter above the rest of the pack. People jumped the gun with Machida, and we saw that he barely edged out Shogun in his 1st title defense, and arguably some would say Shogun won the fight.

:ols::ols::ols:

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/2/15/1311561/dana-white-herschel-walker-in-the

Dana White: Herschel Walker in the UFC would be the first death in MMA

"The whole Herschel Walker thing, listen I give the guy the props, he is almost 50 years old. He is still in great shape and he went out trained in mixed martial arts and he beat a guy who had no athletic ability, no stand up and no ground. You know what makes me crazy is the media attention it got. ESPN will cover Herschel Walker fighting when you got guys like George St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, Brock Lesnar and BJ Penn. All these great athletes that have been training for years and are the best in the sport and you are talking about Herschel Walker? You know what would happen to Herschel Walker over here? It would be the first death in MMA."

its not like he could much worse than Mark Coleman, dude was as close as you can be to zombie against Couture

Coleman sucked but he was fighting a legitimate fighter. Herschel Walker fought some couch potato that no one's ever heard of, and the uneducated-on-MMA media was all over his nuts for the win (I even thought Mauro was going to cream his pants during the telecast).