Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Speaking of Greg Jackson, a certain caveman has just joined the dark side.

Clay Guida makes jump to Greg Jackson's camp:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Clay-Guida-makes-jump-to-Greg-Jackson-s-camp?urn=mma,188595

Perhaps he can teach Jardine some jaw-clinching techniques, as well as teaching them how to grow some friggen hair.

I wonder if he'll start being more cautious now or just go balls-to-the-wall like he usually does? Should improve his game one way or another.

dana is clearly skimming money off the top of his construction budget

C'mon. Those doors obviously were NEVER real doors. You've never noticed that? You are one of, if not the most, intelligent and influential MMA posters here. You should not be surprised by that.

I wonder if he'll start being more cautious now or just go balls-to-the-wall like he usually does? Should improve his game one way or another.

Are you trying to tell me that when Brock slapped the door and it went flying off the hinges, that it wasn't a solid, 60lb solid wood door? I just won't believe it......

Are you trying to tell me that when Brock slapped the door and it went flying off the hinges, that it wasn't a solid, 60lb solid wood door? I just won't believe it......

Well, you are right to make the joke but you have the wrong argument. Was that door even attached/hinged? Nope. :silly:

As far as Jackson goes, good for him. Until MMA fighters are paid better, they will and should continue to look at other ways of making revenue.

Look at this from the fighter's perspective instead of the promoter's perspective.

:bsflag:

lovetoaster nailed it. I'll just add this:

How about thinking about it from Rashad's perspective? Or his trainers, family, the fans of Memphis....

Rashad is missing a big pay here that he will never get back. Sure, the fight may happen a few months later, but he could have been booked for a title shot by then. This pay check is gone. Rampage agreed to fight. He deserves no sympathy. I won't even be very surprised if he takes another movie after this one and the Rashad fight never happens. I also doubt that he is being paid that much for the movie. If he was a top priority for the movie they would have worked around his current obligations.

I didn't catch the guys name, to be honest. I walked in and he was there. He was an older man, shaved head.

I don't think it's his current trainer... I think it was his trainer coming up... And I think the guy still works with him on a time to time basis. Jon Jones is from Rochester, sot hat was probably the case.

Was it this guy?

gregjackson.jpg

Randy vs. Brandon Vera at 105.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/garethadavies/100001704/confirmed-ufc-105-headliner-is-randy-couture-versus-brandon-vera/

-----

Let's play a little Randy impersonation: "I think it's an interesting matchup, Brandon presents a ton of problems on the feet and he's certainly no slouch on the ground. I'll try to close the distance and look to bully him against the cage using my Greco-Roman background. Brandon's a great guy, he's come by the Xtreme gym before, but you know it's a business and our business is a fighting business. So I'm gonna go in there and give it all I've got and perhaps I'll come out the victor and we'll see where I go from there. But right now Brandon is in front of me and I need to focus on him. People bring up my age but that's been the story since the first year I was in this sport so it doesn't bother me - I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life right now at 97. Kim slappin' me around toughened my chin up for the Nog fight and hopefully I can piss another girl off to prepare for Brandon."

Dana White posted his phone # accidentally on twitter but hes rolling with it and answering calls and texts from people

edit: haha he just texted me back, I thanked him for saving MMA and asked him what his favorite fight of all time is...

his answer "Thank you!!!! Hughes v Trigg 2"

Really cool guy

Edited by WALEOVECHKIN

Dana White posted his phone # accidentally on twitter but hes rolling with it and answering calls and texts from people

edit: haha he just texted me back, I thanked him for saving MMA and asked him what his favorite fight of all time is...

his answer "Thank you!!!! Hughes v Trigg 2"

Really cool guy

Well...what's the number?

:D

You can PM it to me if you want. :D

That's awesome, I want to text him but can't think of anything to say.

I just texted him (feel like such weirdo lol). I told him he was doing a great job getting mma more into the mainstream, and asked if he thought at some point that they would be able to make more money with fights on networks than on ppv.

Waiting for a response, but at this point he might have already switched phone #s lol.

I definitely will. The reason I asked that is I hope that is his goal for UFC. Eventually get enough fighters involved where you can have an event every other week. Put them on a major network on Saturday nights. I'd be willing to bet the network contract they get would be huge, eventually equaling or exceeding the $ they get from PPV. Hell it would be like major sport playoff level audiences, but all year round. I think if networks are smart they would jump on it.

You know if they are getting 2 mil+ buys on PPV, the number of people watching is at least 10 million, probably significantly more. And those numbers would just increase with the fights being free to watch on a network. That is my dream, and hopefully Dana's goal.

Edited by skinsfan_1215

i have no interest in seeing that fight

all the names at 205, and Vera is the best the could do for Randy?

I agree but I also think Couture deserves a match-up that gives him a bit of a breath. He takes on the best of the best every time out and I have no problems with Dana giving Randy a "soft" opponent. Heck, Vera might even catch Randy with a sweet high kick to end it dramatically.

I definitely will. The reason I asked that is I hope that is his goal for UFC. Eventually get enough fighters involved where you can have an event every other week. Put them on a major network on Saturday nights. I'd be willing to bet the network contract they get would be huge, eventually equaling or exceeding the $ they get from PPV. Hell it would be like major sport playoff level audiences, but all year round. I think if networks are smart they would jump on it.

You know if they are getting 2 mil+ buys on PPV, the number of people watching is at least 10 million, probably significantly more. And those numbers would just increase with the fights being free to watch on a network. That is my dream, and hopefully Dana's goal.

And that would be nothing but win for us the fans. I buy a lot of PPVs every year, usually I have friends chip in on it, but still it adds up. Plus like you mentioned it would most likely exceed the profit of PPVs eventually.

interesting take from one of the fighters on TUF:

Was there anyone you looked at on the first day and wished you were on the same team as?

No, I knew it would be a tough cast and I really never cared who I fight. If I do what I do and am healthy I win. So, I was not worried about teams. I was worried about which coach I had though.

Interesting you say that – Rashad Evans and Quinton Jackson were the coaches on the show. How were both guys to work with?

Rampage is really cool off camera, but when the camera is going I don’t like him too much because it’s a loud mouth act and I don’t like acts. If you’re a loud mouth then be one but don’t act like something you’re not.

Rashad was just chill. He seemed to care about his team more and wanted to teach rather than to boost his own career from the show. Rashad wanted everyone on his team to have the opportunity that he had and to learn from his coaches and what to do after the show.

Rampage was more concerned about his acting career and what was happening after his practice than what was happening during it. But, I like Rampage – when the cameras are off.