Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

He destroyed Capt. America (aka Randolph Couture) who some seemed to think would beat Fedor. Oh yeah, didn't just beat him, but beat the **** out of him.

You make this fight sound like a lopsided affair. It wasn't nearly that dominating. The first round was close, I gave it to Lesnar 10-9 but he definitely didn't dominate it. Round 2 was more dominate for Brock and ultimately the round that he finished Couture in but to say that he "didn't just beat him but beat the **** out of him" isn't really accurate.

One of which got beat by Couture, whom I've previously stated got the **** beat out of him by the current champ. I believe his name is Brock.

Just because Randy beat someone that Fedor beat, then Brock beat Randy doesn't mean that Brock will beat Fedor. You've never been able to predict MMA fights like that and you know better than that.

Last time I checked, just about every stud from PRIDE has gotten worked in the UFC. I mean hell, Shogun was pretty much guaranteed the belt to be waiting for him in the lockerroom. Whoops! Didn't work out that way.

Didn't happen like that for Nogueira or Dan Henderson.

Also, what are you going to say if Shogun beats the piss out of Machida (no pun intended) and takes the belt? Because as popular as Machida is, that's entirely possible, especially now that Shogun's healthy again.

Name the last STUD he's fought? Arlovski? Really? Barnett was supposed to be the fight.

Both Sylvia and Arlovski were top 5 fighters before Fedor destroyed them. Who's the last STUD that Brock's fought? Randy's the only thing close to a stud that I can think of. Brock's 1-1 against an overrated Frank Mir, and he beat Heath Herring who's never sniffed the top ten in his life. And keep in mind that I actually like Brock.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15713/breaking-news-strikeforce-signs-fedor-emelianenko-to-multi-fight-deal-m-1-to-co-promote.mma

After last week's negotiations with the UFC failed due to co-promoting demands, Fedor Emelianenko has instead signed a multi-fight deal with the UFC's biggest competitor, Strikeforce.

The organization today announced it has signed Emelianenko (30-1) to a multi-fight deal that will have him fight under the Strikeforce banner in events co-headlined M-1 Global. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

No specific date has been determined for his first Strikeforce fight, but Emelianenko will make his promotional debut this fall on Showtime, according to today's announcement.

"I am looking forward to going back to work and fighting at the highest level," Emelianenko stated. "Strikeforce is a top fight promotion that houses some of the greatest fighters in the world. I am prepared to fight any of them."

Emelianeko hit the open market last month when Affliction Entertainment canceled its Aug. 1 "Trilogy" event after Emelianenko's main-event opponent, Josh Barnett, was denied a license because of a failed drug test due to an anabolic steroid. Affliction then announced it had ceased all promotional operations and would return to the UFC as an official sponsor.

UFC president Dana White last week suggested he gave his best effort to signing the Russian fighter, who had negotiated with the organization multiple times in the past, but that ultimately even offering Emelianenko "the most amazing deal" wasn't enough.

As Emelianenko's manager, M-1 Global co-owner and president Vadim Finkelchtein, suggested during a July 29 press conference, the UFC's refusal to co-promote shows with M-1 was likely the negotiations' biggest hurdle.

"How are they going to help us co-promote?" White said. "They're going to help us? That [expletive] might work in Russia (but) not here."

Strikeforce, though, which has previously co-promoted with organizations such as EliteXC and BodogFIGHT, is willing to work with M-1.

"We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to work with M-1 Global and Fedor," Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker stated. "Fedor has been the reigning king of MMA's heavyweight division for quite some time now so being able to work with M-1 and Fedor will substantially increase the level of competition amongst the athletes in this weight class."

Strikeforce, one of the few financially successful promotions outside of the UFC, launched its MMA division in 2006 and has grown the company substantially with a highlights show on NBC and live events on Showtime and HDNet. The San Jose, Calif.-based organization is also believed to be close to signing a deal with CBS, the former home of the now-defunct EliteXC promotion, that would put its live shows on major U.S. network television for the first time.

Emelianenko, a longtime PRIDE champion who's widely regarded as the sport's No. 1 ranked heavyweight, currently owns a 24-fight win streak. He becomes an immediate challenger in Strikeforce's heavyweight division, which currently boasts Alistair Overeem as its champion. However, Overeem hasn't fought since winning the title in November 2007 and was recently scratched from an Aug. 15 title with Fabricio Werdum because of a hand injury.

Edited by StillUnknown

Well, good on stikeforce. It is pretty much guaranteed they didn't offer as much $$$ as UFC did, but then again regarding money/contracts/negotiations you can never be quite sure what is coming out of Dana's mouth is the truth.

fedor said he had 3 fights left on his m-1 contract

maybe let him fight Werdum, Brett Rogers, & Overeem. then revisit the UFC's offer

werdum, rogers, & overeem are all credible HW's. alot better than going to japan and fighting cans

While I am happy he is not going to be fighting cans in Japan, this still sucks. Only to a smaller degree.

I have always been a fan of Strikeforce, but they have two guys I would be remotely interested in seeing Fedor fight. Other than that....who else is he going to fight?

Screw M-1.

I'll start by saying WOW. I was a real dick with my post to NoCal. Sorry, didn't mean for that tone. Hadn't slept in almost 48 hours due to an infrastructure migration at work.

Secondly, not sure why anyone thinks that I believe Brock can beat Fedor. I've never said that. I'm arguing for Fedor to come to the UFC to eliminate all doubt as to who is the greatest MMA champ of all time. It has more to do with than just Brock. He just happens to be the champ atm.

You make this fight sound like a lopsided affair. It wasn't nearly that dominating. The first round was close, I gave it to Lesnar 10-9 but he definitely didn't dominate it. Round 2 was more dominate for Brock and ultimately the round that he finished Couture in but to say that he "didn't just beat him but beat the **** out of him" isn't really accurate.

Just because the first round was close, doesn't mean that Brock didn't beat Randy in impressive fashion. He dropped him and tko'd him, right? The fight lasted less than 2 full rounds. That's an ass kicking in my book.

Just because Randy beat someone that Fedor beat, then Brock beat Randy doesn't mean that Brock will beat Fedor. You've never been able to predict MMA fights like that and you know better than that.

Not sure where you're going with this. I wasn't using MMAth. I'm just saying that they were UFC rejects because they no longer were a legit threat to the belt at the time. Brock has beaten someone that Timmeh couldn't. Does it guarantee that Brock could be Sylvia? No, but who would you put your money on?

Didn't happen like that for Nogueira or Dan Henderson.

Also, what are you going to say if Shogun beats the piss out of Machida (no pun intended) and takes the belt? Because as popular as Machida is, that's entirely possible, especially now that Shogun's healthy again.

I didn't say all PRIDE fighters have gone down the tubes, but I don't see how you can argue that the stars of PRIDE (most of them) drop off when they come to the UFC. I said the cage is a factor, and I still believe it to be true. As they adjust, they seem to fair better, though I wouldn't include big Nog as one that has succeeded. He was almost beat by 2 guys that, IMO, are far inferior to him, and ended up losing (though I've heard he was very ill) against a guy that he shouldn't have.

What am I going to say if Shogun beats Machida? I'll be happy. Finally some parity in the ranks. I'm sick of seeing the same champs over and over. Though, I'm not ready to jump on the Shogun bandwagon just yet. He barely beat a geriatric Coleman, and KO'd Chuck "His lights are out" Liddell.

Both Sylvia and Arlovski were top 5 fighters before Fedor destroyed them. Who's the last STUD that Brock's fought? Randy's the only thing close to a stud that I can think of. Brock's 1-1 against an overrated Frank Mir, and he beat Heath Herring who's never sniffed the top ten in his life. And keep in mind that I actually like Brock.

Yes, they WERE top 5 (though, in all honesty, were they really top 5 outside of the UFC?. I think that's highly debatable.)

I abhor Brock. I want to see nothing but bad things happen to the dude. Why is this a Brock only thing when talking about the UFC? There are some newcomers that are going to press Brock for the belt.

What I do want to see is Fedor fighting in a real promotion. That's all. I don't want to see dream fights ruined like his fight with Barnett. Also, if Fedor comes to the UFC, so will every other quality HW.

Shogun stuggled early in the UFC, but if I remember correctly, he did blow out his knee against Forrest, and was coming off a nearly 2 year layoff from that injury when he fought Coleman. His "struggles" against Coleman really looked more like conditioning then skill.

My point of short-sighted thinking in MMA, was said because I feel with all the new fans of the sport and all the casual fans who think all of MMA is UFC, tend to look at a 2 or 3 fight win streak as the gold standard. Now, possibly in the LHW division, yes where there are so many elite fighters, but in the HW division? I was asking to put things in perspective, Fedor has a 24 fight win streak. Are there a couple of bums in there from time to time? Sure, but there are also a list of guys who were top fighters when they fought Fedor.

Another reason I think some Pride guys might have struggled in the cage is because to be perfectly blunt, they were past their prime by the time they got to the UFC. Wandy/Nog definately.

I still would have preferred Fedor to sign with the UFC, however business is business and I don't think him not signing had anything to do with fear, or legacy, or stuff like that.

I also, would say that Strikeforce IS a real promotion. It isn't Elite XC v.2 which was ran by that idiot Gary Shaw. Strikeforce is legit, but like any company going up against the #1 company in town, it will take some time to compete on the same level.

Edited by NoCalMike

this is good for MMA overall. Coker is smart and would not get raked over the coals. He's a good businessman and I hav the utmost faith in him that he will succeed. M-1 have have a large stable of up and coming fighters from around the world that Strikeforce can use in their ShoMMA series on showtime. This is great news for MMA fans. The only downside is Dana White is gonna counter program the **** out of them!

maybe let him fight Werdum, Brett Rogers, & Overeem. then revisit the UFC's offer

werdum, rogers, & overeem are all credible HW's. alot better than going to japan and fighting cans

You named the three fights that he should have. In fact, these may be better than anything he will face in the UFC. I was hoping by signing Fedor, it would inevitably bring them all to the UFC. The HW division is just so thin, it needs the juice.

You named the three fights that he should have. In fact, these may be better than anything he will face in the UFC. I was hoping by signing Fedor, it would inevitably bring them all to the UFC. The HW division is just so thin, it needs the juice.

Well...I would like to see Fedor fight Rogers and Overeem, but I am not very excited about Werdum. I think he wins all three relatively easily.

Whereas in the UFC, I would like to see him fight obviously Brock, but then guys like Randy, Nog, Carwin, Cro Cop, Velasquez.

I don't think Strikeforce is better than anything he would face in the UFC at all. Fedor would probably beat anyone in either organization, but I think that there are more fighters with a chance to beat him in the UFC than in SF.

I really do not think anyone in SF has much of a chance to beat him. Don't get me wrong, they are very good fighters and I am a fan of Coker and Strikeforce, but I think he rolls through Overeem, Werdum and Rogers. I think Rogers could eventually have a chance, but not right now. I would like to see Rogers be Fedor's third fight, as Rogers has really improved from fight to fight.

Honesty, guys. There's only 2 fights out there for Fedor Emilianenko.

1. Randy Couture

2. Brock Lesnar

None of the other guys mentioned in this discussion get me excited to see in the cage vs. The Last Emperor. He's already fought 3 or 4 of them and the others are part of a whole new school that isn't ready for him. Werdum, Cain, Carwin, Overeem, Rogers? Children whom Fedor would school and spank.

If he's not going to fight either of the two, he should retire because any other fight will do zero for his legacy. IMHO, it was UFC or I'm not interested. The only thing Affliction had that caught my attention was Arlovsky and Barnett having a remote chance against Fedor and they pooped out.

Edited by Chachie

Whereas in the UFC, I would like to see him fight obviously Brock, but then guys like Randy, Nog, Carwin, Cro Cop, Velasquez.

everybody wants to see him fight Brock. i honestly dont see the fascination in a Fedor/Randy fight, i think Fedor would blow him out of the water. of the fighters listed, i would give Randy the least chance of beating Fedor

he's already fought CroCop & Nog (twice) while they were in their primes

there isn't much difference between Cain, Carwin, & Rogers. all 3 are undefeated prospects with one big victory on their records (Kongo, Gonzaga, & Arlovski respectively)

Overeem @ HW is as credible as any of the UFC's HW division contenders. he's basically Kongo with a ground game

Edited by StillUnknown

This is the best possible scenario IMO. Him being a HW, I think that this is the second-best place he could land behind the UFC....although there's a huge gap between 1st and 2nd organizations that he could've landed.

Just because the first round was close, doesn't mean that Brock didn't beat Randy in impressive fashion. He dropped him and tko'd him, right? The fight lasted less than 2 full rounds. That's an ass kicking in my book.

He did drop and TKO him in round 2 but it seemed from your other post that you thought the fight was a one-sided affair. It's not like Randy got Zulu'd or anything...maybe I just read into your post wrong? :whoknows:

Not sure where you're going with this. I wasn't using MMAth. I'm just saying that they were UFC rejects because they no longer were a legit threat to the belt at the time.

I don't think they were necessarily "UFC rejects." If I remember correctly, Sylvia left the UFC because Affliction let him fight in other organizations while he was under contract and he was interested in pursuing boxing matches (Ray Mercer convinced him otherwise).

Same for Arlovski, he was interested in boxing and the UFC wouldn't have any of it. He actually won his last three fights in the UFC, all in convincing fashion.

Brock has beaten someone that Timmeh couldn't. Does it guarantee that Brock could be Sylvia? No, but who would you put your money on?

Obviously I'd take Brock over Sylvia at this point, but I was getting the impression that you were trying to say that Brock beat Randy/Randy beat Timmy/Brock beats Fedor...or something like that.

I didn't say all PRIDE fighters have gone down the tubes, but I don't see how you can argue that the stars of PRIDE (most of them) drop off when they come to the UFC. I said the cage is a factor, and I still believe it to be true. As they adjust, they seem to fair better, though I wouldn't include big Nog as one that has succeeded. He was almost beat by 2 guys that, IMO, are far inferior to him, and ended up losing (though I've heard he was very ill) against a guy that he shouldn't have.

You said "just about every stud from PRIDE has gotten worked in the UFC." And that's not even close to true. Cro-Cop and Shogun are really the only ones that fall in that category.

And like SU mentioned, Anderson Silva and Rampage are both big time examples proving that notion false. Not sure how I forgot to mention them. As far as Nogueira is concerned, he was battling staph infection, that much is true. And if you look at his Pride days, he's always been known to take a beating, it's part of his game. His ability to take a pounding and then submit his opponent when they're tired is just his style.

What am I going to say if Shogun beats Machida? I'll be happy. Finally some parity in the ranks. I'm sick of seeing the same champs over and over. Though, I'm not ready to jump on the Shogun bandwagon just yet. He barely beat a geriatric Coleman, and KO'd Chuck "His lights are out" Liddell.

Shogun's bandwagon days were a few years ago, but he's young and has already had an incredible career. If he really is healthy now and returns to the Shogun of old, there aren't many guys in the UFC's 205 division that can hang with him. One thing that's going to hurt him is the UFC not allowing stomps to a downed opponent, he finished a lot of guys like that in Pride. Either way I expect him to adjust to the rules and be a great fighter.

Yes, they WERE top 5 (though, in all honesty, were they really top 5 outside of the UFC?. I think that's highly debatable.)

I agree but Fedor did what a great fighter is supposed to do, he finished both of them in a convincing manner.

I abhor Brock. I want to see nothing but bad things happen to the dude. Why is this a Brock only thing when talking about the UFC? There are some newcomers that are going to press Brock for the belt.

I can't hate on Brock. He's doing great for a guy with such little training and he's drawing lots of fans in....plus he makes the sport more interesting. What I do hate are the bandwagon fans that think MMA is called "Ultimate Fighting" and that jump in here saying that no one will ever beat Brock and that he's the best ever and blah blah blah. It's not Brock's fault that uninformed casual fans are on his jock so much.

What I do want to see is Fedor fighting in a real promotion. That's all. I don't want to see dream fights ruined like his fight with Barnett. Also, if Fedor comes to the UFC, so will every other quality HW.

Like someone said earlier, he's in Strikeforce now and has 3 fights left on his contract with M1...Werdum/Overeem/Rogers and bam! Get back to real negotiations with the UFC.

everybody wants to see him fight Brock. i honestly dont see the fascination in a Fedor/Randy fight, i think Fedor would blow him out of the water. of the fighters listed, i would give Randy the least chance of beating Fedor

he's already fought CroCop & Nog (twice)

there isn't much difference between Cain, Carwin, & Rogers. all 3 are undefeated prospects with one big victory on their records (Kongo, Gonzaga, & Arlovski respectively)

I don't disagree with anything here (except I might give Randy a slightly larger chance), I just think there is more legitimate competition within the UFC than in Strikeforce. I think he goes 3-0 with relative ease in Strikeforce, then we are back at square one this time next year. The only difference is that Fedor will be a little older.

I don't disagree with anything here (except I might give Randy a slightly larger chance), I just think there is more legitimate competition within the UFC than in Strikeforce. I think he goes 3-0 with relative ease in Strikeforce, then we are back at square one this time next year. The only difference is that Fedor will be a little older.

see i'm of the opinion he would beat every HW in the UFC with relative ease with Lesnar being the sole exception.

i'm still not sure on who i would pick to win that fight. lol

I think that the only intriguing fights in the UFC are with Randy and Brock. I agree that Randy has the least chance of beating him but it's a big money draw that has been hyped for years now and Randy is great at game planning.

The Brock thing is interesting to me, because I think that he could beat Fedor if Fedor made certain mistakes, but Fedor is one of the smartest fighters out there and has a knack for recovering from mistakes.

I don't have a lot of interest in Fedor/Nog again or Fedor/Cro-Cop II.

I like the Strikeforce thing because I think that Fedor/Werdum and Fedor/Overeem are good fights. Fedor/Rogers is okay, but I agree with SU that it's similar to Fedor/Velasquez or Fedor/Carwin...although I think Carwin is the best out of those three up & comers. :)

Edited by #98QBKiller

I think that the only intriguing fights in the UFC are with Randy and Brock. I agree that Randy has the least chance of beating him but it's a big money draw that has been hyped for years now and Randy is great at game planning.

The Brock thing is interesting to me, because I think that he could beat Fedor if Fedor made certain mistakes, but Fedor is one of the smartest fighters out there and has a knack for recovering from mistakes.

I don't have a lot of interest in Fedor/Nog again or Fedor/Cro-Cop II.

I like the Strikeforce thing because I think that Fedor/Werdum and Fedor/Overeem are good fights. Fedor/Rogers is okay, but I agree with SU that it's similar to Fedor/Velasquez or Fedor/Carwin...although I think Carwin is the best out of those three up & comers. :)

i agree with Carwin being the best out of that group of 3. he's big, good wrestling background (div.2 i believe), and he has that one shot kill power

anybody who wishes to see Fedor fight Nog again is a sick individual in my book :( lol

Werdum was a breath away from a title fight before Brock came in. then he let himself get depressed and fat and paid for it against Dos Santos. if he gets his mind & body right, he's still a quality opponent

Take any of the mentioned young fighters and put them up against Randy or Brock: Werdum wouldn't beat either, Rogers wouldn't beat either, Cain wouldn't beat either, Overeem wouldn't beat either, Carwin's size makes him interesting but I personally don't see him beating either.

So what would they do differently against Fedor except act as a tune-up so he could fight Lesnar or Couture?

No UFC makes me yawn at Emilianenko. :yawnee:

Edited by Chachie

Take any of the mentioned young fighters and put them up against Randy or Brock: Werdum wouldn't beat either, Rogers wouldn't beat either, Cain wouldn't beat either, Overeem wouldn't beat either, Carwin's size makes him interesting but I personally don't see him beating either.

So what would they do differently against Fedor except act as a tune-up so he could fight Lesnar or Couture?

No UFC makes me yawn at Emilianenko. :yawnee:

i think you're giving Randy too much credit. i think Werdum, Cain, Carwin, or Overeem would have a good chance at beating Randy.

Cain & Carwin could match his wrestling, Overeem would definitely outstrike him and has a ground game. Werdum (when in shape) was more aggressive since training with Chute Boxe and he could definitely sub Randy

not to say that all those would happen, but i definitely dont think you can assume Randy would beat them

i think you're giving Randy too much credit. i think Werdum, Cain, Carwin, or Overeem would have a good chance at beating Randy.

Then have Randy fight those guys. Fedor will stomp them all. :)

And for the record, I have never been impressed with Fabricio Werdum. At all.

Edited by Chachie

Ok, what exactly is Brock doing right now? He is 3-1, wining two fights in a row. How is that spectacular in any way? I am not trying to bash Brock here, but I am trying to put things in perspective relative to short-term thinking compared to a career that is legendary.

Tim Sylvia & Andre Arlovsky, some are calling "UFC rejects" I mean come on, they are treating this entire situation like it is prowrestling and someone just went from WWE to WCW. Sylvia and Arlovsky were UFC heavyweight Champions, they traded the belt between each other. They were the cream of the crop for a little bit. Fedor destroyed both of them.

As far as the "Fedor needs to prove himself in the cage" argument. Come on man, that is just like saying any UFC champ is not legit until they get into the ring to defend their belt.

The UFC right now definately is the NFL of MMA. I am not disputing that, and the casual fans will always see it like that. However I feel it is the sports media's job to let the fans know that just because the UFC has the best production value, doesn't mean they always necessairly have the best fights and/or fighters in every single weight division at any given time.

As far as UFC's heavyweight division, take away Brock and I see a division with a few good up and coming prospects, mixed with a couple of guys past their primes. Certainly a mixed bag, no better or worse then the competition waiting for Fedor elsewhere.

Would I prefer Fedor be in the UFC right now? Yes, but do I feel it effects his legacy if he doesn't go? No.

I am willing to be right now that if Brock Lesnar loses his next fight, a lot of people will careless whether Fedor joins UFC or not. UFC is on a public campaign to promote Brock Lesnar as the #1 heavyweight in the world, and Fedor as a b!tch for not signing with the UFC. It is hard to believe anything coming from Dana White's mouth is the truth or at least completely true.

This is a business and just because the fans are dissapointed that Fedor did not sign with UFC, doesn't mean it was the wrong decision for Fedor not to sign at this time.

Personally, I'd be more interested to see what happens when his M-1 contract runs out....

I feel like I am just repeating myself so I'll keep it short.

It isn't how many wins Brock had, it is how he has been fighting that is important. And it won't matter if Brock loses if he looks good bbefore he loses. He lost to Mir and was still the favorite in the rematch because he was so dominate before getting caught. This is a new sport. Get used to these phenoms coming in and having success quickly. In a few years fighters will have been training specicically for MMA(and the UFC at that) their whole lives.

Arlovski and Sylvia ARE UFC rejects.

As far as the "Fedor needs to prove himself in the cage" argument. Come on man, that is just like saying any UFC champ is not legit until they get into the ring to defend their belt.

UFC=NFL

The rest=CFL

Warren Moon didn't make the hall of fame based on his CFL numkbers, he did it in the NFL, and that made people respect his CFL numbers.

Fedor going to Strikeforce is good for him. He can ease his way in to the cage and American rules. He should have no problem with any if their fighters as they are not the type who use the cage to their advantage like so many UFC guys. Fedor's flaw though is that he fights like BJ and Diaz. Where ever the fight is is where he'll fight. He won't look to exploit a weakness (See: him not taking Arlovski down early). This could hurt him against Overeem and Rogers.

His Strikeforce deal is probably non-exclusive, so I bet he fights in Japa as well. A New Year's Eve fight with Barnett would be awesome. That would be HUGE in Japan. I'd even stay up till 4 to watch it.

I challenge you to a match tonight. Send dcthug78 a friend request.
LOL!! I want results posted here! No excuses. Just the final. :)
agreed!

Finally hooked up last night. I think I won 6 out of 9. Can't remember exactly. Some subs, some KOs.

The champ still reigns. Who's next?

Finally hooked up last night. I think I won 6 out of 9. Can't remember exactly. Some subs, some KOs.

The champ still reigns. Who's next?

:hysterical:

Forgot all about that. I don't even have an XBOX or I'd let you beat me up for a few rounds.