Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

GSP vs. Alves is going to be GSP's toughest to date IMO. BJ Penn couldn't match his size or strength so that wasn't as tough of a fight as some were thinking it would be.

I disagree. I think GSP will shoot right away, lean on the fence as much as possible, and keep shooting and leaning for 5 rounds.

If GSP wins I think they set up Silva-GSP right away. They alluded to it in the post fight presser. Someone said something about GSP needing to take care of business. GSP has nobody at 170 to fight him after Alves.

I agree for the most part. There are no obvious contenders. Maybe Martin Kampmann but nothing exciting. Not until the UFC signs Jake Shields.

shields is overrated IMO

his best attribute would be negated by GSP's. if Shields can't get the fight to the ground, he can't beat top flight comp

I went to Gamestop and picked up the demo for UFC Undisputed yesterday, much to talk about.

Most notable thing, right off the bat, the fight clock is around 2x faster than normal. Rounds are roughly 2 1/2 minutes long. This is probably due to the fact that there seems to be a high probability of flash KOs. Out of 30 fights, I've only gone the distance twice. Both times I've had to stall on the ground and backpedal on the feet.

Whether or not the pressed action is to your liking, it's certainly fast paced.

Second thing to talk about is the complexity. I can already see gamers rushing to deem this game "bad" if they go in to it without knowing what to do. The tutorial is a must, an absolute must. Did I mention it's a must? It's a MUST. You'll probably have to go through it a few times, as well. The first thing I did when I downloaded the demo was have a fight. I almost concluded right there that this would end up being a little disappointing. After going through every part of the tutorial a couple times, I have a newly found anxiety for this game to come out.

You can only play as Chuck or Shogun. It's a big tease but their styles clash enough to get a taste of just about every style but Judo.

Submissions are mostly won and lost by pressing any button rapidly, coinciding with your fighter's skills on the ground. I assume some people won't like that.

Bottom line, you quite literally have to do the tutorial. It's probably the only game I've ever come across that it's pretty much required.

The graphics are very good, Shogun and Chuck's faces look frighteningly accurate. The ring girls' boobies bounce when walking around, and Buffer/Yamasaki are on target.

As far as the commentating by Rogan and Goldie, it's great. Not a lot of repetitive calls, and fast reactions as what is happening in the fight. You can tell they put a lot in to that aspect of the game.

I don't think I've ever been impressed with the way the crowd looks in a fighting game. Same goes with UFC Undisputed's crowd. Just a generic looking crowd, and it looks like everyone is a bit spread apart. Maybe they're trying to mimic an undercard bout. Not impressed with this part of the performance. The crowd sounds nice, at least.

I know it's almost meaningless to grade a demo, but I've downloaded my share of them and this one stands out as the best so far. It gets an A. This will be a hard game to learn, so get the demo now and be prepared when it comes out.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Any chance they'll make it for wii?

Don't think so.

Can't wait to play this demo when it hits XBL. I've been reading these reviews and all of them are like "this game rocks once you learn it, especially the ground game". I can't wait to try out different fighters.

Did they get their styles right? Like, does Chuck stand with that very open wide stance, or do they look similar when standing?

Don't think so.

Can't wait to play this demo when it hits XBL. I've been reading these reviews and all of them are like "this game rocks once you learn it, especially the ground game". I can't wait to try out different fighters.

Did they get their styles right? Like, does Chuck stand with that very open wide stance, or do they look similar when standing?

Um, I tried noticing that a few times and it didn't look overly accurate. Shogun's kicks look pretty accurate, and Chuck always throws his looping overhand right. But you'll notice he throws it way too often.

I went to Gamestop and picked up the demo for UFC Undisputed yesterday, much to talk about.

Most notable thing, right off the bat, the fight clock is around 2x faster than normal. Rounds are roughly 2 1/2 minutes long. This is probably due to the fact that there seems to be a high probability of flash KOs. Out of 30 fights, I've only gone the distance twice. Both times I've had to stall on the ground and backpedal on the feet.

Whether or not the pressed action is to your liking, it's certainly fast paced.

Second thing to talk about is the complexity. I can already see gamers rushing to deem this game "bad" if they go in to it without knowing what to do. The tutorial is a must, an absolute must. Did I mention it's a must? It's a MUST. You'll probably have to go through it a few times, as well. The first thing I did when I downloaded the demo was have a fight. I almost concluded right there that this would end up being a little disappointing. After going through every part of the tutorial a couple times, I have a newly found anxiety for this game to come out.

You can only play as Chuck or Shogun. It's a big tease but their styles clash enough to get a taste of just about every style but Judo.

Submissions are mostly won and lost by pressing any button rapidly, coinciding with your fighter's skills on the ground. I assume some people won't like that.

Bottom line, you quite literally have to do the tutorial. It's probably the only game I've ever come across that it's pretty much required.

The graphics are very good, Shogun and Chuck's faces look frighteningly accurate. The ring girls' boobies bounce when walking around, and Buffer/Yamasaki are on target.

As far as the commentating by Rogan and Goldie, it's great. Not a lot of repetitive calls, and fast reactions as what is happening in the fight. You can tell they put a lot in to that aspect of the game.

I don't think I've ever been impressed with the way the crowd looks in a fighting game. Same goes with UFC Undisputed's crowd. Just a generic looking crowd, and it looks like everyone is a bit spread apart. Maybe they're trying to mimic an undercard bout. Not impressed with this part of the performance. The crowd sounds nice, at least.

I know it's almost meaningless to grade a demo, but I've downloaded my share of them and this one stands out as the best so far. It gets an A. This will be a hard game to learn, so get the demo now and be prepared when it comes out.

Thanks for the review.

Do you have to preorder from Gamestop to get the demo?

i'm not expecting a perfect game since its the first MMA in a very long time, i'll definitely pick this game up though

although i think i'm a bit more hyped for Fight Night Round 4

Another thing that just came to mind was there's no head movement or bobbing in UFC Undisputed. Even when you have guard you can't dodge your opponent's strikes. All you can really hope to do is block your opponent's punches, quite literally. Otherwise, you have to try to sweep or attempt a submission. It looks like it's going to be a stiff game due to the array of techniques involved.

Basically, be prepared for a ton of landed strikes and not a lot of defense at all.

Did I miss something? I don't get it. :)

http://tatame.com/2009/03/22/Lyoto-Machidas-secret-revealed-at-TATAME

“My training is with my family, out Karate, and it makes it more easy. If I go out there, maybe I won’t find what I have in Belém any place in the world. I train with guys who live there”, tells Lyoto. Besides telling all his preparation routine, the undefeated fighter revealed a curious tradition in his family, a secret until then: urine therapy. Once in the day, he and his family drinks their own urine. “My father does that for a long time and bring it to us. People think it’s a joke (laughs). I never said it in the United States because I don’t know how the fans will react (laughs). I drink my urine every morning like a natural medicine”, revealed the fighter.

5.gif

Edited by StillUnknown

I think this is pretty cool:

mmamania.com

Two champions from the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts (WAMMA) will collide at M-1 Challenge on April 29 in Tokyo, Japan — despite being separated by four weight classes.

WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko will square off against WAMMA lightweight champion Shinya Aoki in a special-rules exhibition grappling match with a proposed time limit of five minutes — designed as more of a crowd pleaser than actual competition.

First reported by MMAFighting.com, Aoki confirmed the bout during a press conference earlier this morning.

Emelianenko and Aoki are both considered to be two of mixed martial arts finest grapplers, irrespective of weight class.

“The Last Emperor” earned a bronze medal in the Russian Judo Championship and has won gold in the Russian Combat Sambo Championship and placed first in the World Combat Sambo Championship in the heavyweight division and open-weight division.

“The Tobikan Judan” (master of flying submissions) is a black belt in both Brazilian jiu-jitsu and judo and owns two All Japan Jiu-Jitsu championships, a Japan Open Jiu-Jitsu championship, a Budo Open championship, and an ADCC Japan championship.

While the idea of them actually fighting is silly, the exhibition grappling match should be seen for what it is: A chance to have two of Japan’s more popular stars roll around on the mat exchanging sub attempts.

Subtitled “Third Edition,” the April 29 M-1 Challenge event will feature a total of 30 fighters representing six countries in three head-to-head matchups resulting in a total of 15 fights. In addition to host country Japan facing the debuting Team England, the event will also feature Team USA West battling Team South Korea for supremacy in Group B along with a Group A matchup featuring Team France and Team Spain.

The third edition will also include a bonus superfight featuring French phenom Karl Amoussou, who will be taking on an unnamed opponent.

Full standings and results from the current season also available at www.M-1Global.com as well with the complete head-to-head fight card lineup consisting of the following:

I got a chance to play UFC Undisputed yesterday. I can say that I'm not a fighting game fan at all. I like fantasy RPG/Action type stuff...kinda like Fable.

I was totally into this game. Of course, loving UFC might help a bit. But, the game is pretty fun. Graphics are amazing. I played it with my girl, and she basically goes crazy with the standup. I learned the ground game pretty well because she kept TKO'ing me if I tried to stand. She called her style bat**** crazy, lol.

Once I started learning the sub game, I really started having fun. Although, you can counter stuff too. I've only been able to pull off an armbar and Kimora. My girl got me in a triangle on accident that I got out of, and a spinning from the ground into a kneebar, which looked sick, but she didn't understand the mechanics yet, so I can get out of her stuff pretty easily. I'm going to start really learning the Tai Clinch game next...I wanna big knockout with a knee.

Anyways, any fan of UFC should own this. This game is much better than previous UFC incarnations.

I hope they have a cage game, I haven't been able to get anyone against it yet.