Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

No surprises at all, and then Anderson weighs in at 182!!!???

I mean it's bad enough you have to drop 35 pounds to make weight, why drop even farther? He prolly fell asleep in the sauna.

182 kinda surprised me a little, he's been coughing some in promo interviews.....maybe he has a cold

in which case Thales Leites chances for winning increases from 2% to a grand total of 2.8%

UFC 97: Thales Laters

Steve Cantwell vs. Luis Cane: Cane looks like a very good prospect at LHW. He's destroyed everybody he's beaten and would possibly be undefeated if he didn't get the DQ against Irvin. Cantwell is very young and scrappy, he won't be easy to beat. They are very similar fighters, I just think Cane's knack for staying calm will get him the W. Cane, TKO, round 2.

Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk: It's hard to tell what kind of fighter Cheick Kongo is. Here's this 6'4" ripped-out kickboxer that has a collection of TKO's on his resume. But when you watch him fight he is more finesse than a causer of destruction. Hardonk has some serious kicks and is probably the harder overall striker. Both guys lack ground skills, but Kongo seems to get better down there with every outing. I think he either pulls out a decision or Hardonk lands a stinging shot that cripples Kongo. Hardonk, TKO, round 3.

Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann: Krzysztof has not fought anybody close to this caliber since he was in the IFL. Stann is not the ground fighter Soszynski is, and he is making his UFC debut after receiving his first L in August. But dude is a Marine, the UFC is like playing tag compared to the **** he's probably been in. His aggressive standup and heavy hands should make this a quick fight if he doesn't get taken down and subbed. KO, round 1.

Chuck Liddell vs. Shogun Rua: The recent banter leading up to this fight about Chuck retiring is depressing. Whether or not he wins, it's sad to see mainstream America's first real ambassador to the sport being involved in serious retirement talk. That alone has made me liable to buy a bottle of Yukon Jack and take a few shots before the fight starts. My favorite fighters have always been those that make the sport grow. Sakuraba, Wanderlei, Fedor. I found myself becoming a bandwagoner, but justifiably. I love MMA and want it to grow in to one of the most popular sports in the world. I can't root against Chuck, he is the face of American MMA and my favorite fighter. I rooted for him against Wandy, I'm certainly rooting for him against Shogun. Chuck is gonna do what he's wanted to do for a while now. Knock him out in the first round. Chuck, KO, round 1.

Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites: Leites poses THE threat that could take Anderson out. Silva's jiu jitsu is high caliber, but freak submissions were his downfall before this great streak he's put together. Do not be surprised if Leites is flying around trying to pull off very unique takedowns and transitions. Standing up, Leites has sneaky power, but Anderson's reach should quell that. Leites will probably be doing anything he can to trip Anderson, if he fails, he'll bail to the ground and lay there until getting stood up. Thales will get frustrated and walk in to a shot in the second round. 2nd round, TKO, Silva.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

UFC 97 picks

Brian Stann vs. Krystoff Sozynski: Stann been's training with Jackson's group i think, so his technique should be a bit more refined. the problem is he had next to 0 technique before hand. if he connects its probably lights out, but i think Krystoff will be able to use some striking technique to outclass him over 3 rounds

Sozysnski by Unanimous Decision

Luis Cane vs. Steve Cantwell: kinda surprised they're throwing the 22yr old Cantwell in so heavy. Cane has looked like a monster in his fights, Cantwell has shown a great skill-set for his age. maybe cantwell can surprise, but i don't see it.

Cane by TKO, 2nd Round

Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk: hardonk has the hard leg kicks, kongo has the hard groin shots. kongo wins that battle. somethings telling me Kongo is going to take him down repeatedly to secure rounds. these are two great strikers, so its inevitable they will spend the majority of the fight on the ground.

Kongo by Unanimous Decision

Shogun vs. Chuck Liddell: Shogun has all of 3:30 to end this fight, after that he'll turn into a pumpkin and chuck will knock him out. Chuck has to get rid of the nightmares of his last fight, i think he does. i hope Shogun wins, just don't see it.

Chuck Liddell by TKO, 2nd Round

Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites: Leites has to get this to the ground. outside of the Lutter fight, Anderson has shown pretty good footwork that keeps him out of takedowns. Leites doesn't have the greatest of takedowns to begin with. even if it gets to the ground, theres no guarantee he gets the sub. people tend to underrate anderson's ground game because it doesn't compare to his stand up. all that said, i think Thales eats a knee while shooting in for a takedown, Anderson finishes him with ground n pound shortly thereafter.

Anderson Silva by TKO, 2nd Round

99....i think i might want shogun

Let me know man, I've still got Chuck.

Also, anyone see this? Wandy talking smack about Anderson over some comment Anderson made:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/wanderlei-on-anderson-war-is-declared-17073

Wanderlei on Anderson: ‘War is declared’

By Marcelo Alonso (malonso@sherdog.com)

Saturday, 5:00 a.m. ET: Anderson Silva discussed former teammate Wanderlei Silva’s move to 185 pounds last week, calling it “pretentious.” Wanderlei hasn’t taken too kindly to Anderson's remarks.

“I thought it was excellent being quoted by the champion without having had a fight in (Anderson’s) division,” Wanderlei told Sherdog.com. “It’s a sign that I’m already bothering him. Nobody kicks a tree that is not able to give fruits.”

Wanderlei also criticized Anderson for discussing Chute Boxe training sessions.

“Anyone who is a man knows that training shouldn’t be talked about. That’s a basic rule for any fighter: training is training. I’ll not say that I already knocked him out in training. … What happens in training has to stay inside the gym. Training is training and a real fight is a real fight.

“He is too ****y. I hope he can read this. … I never talked anything bad about him; I always respected him. He has always been my friend, always respected me, but now he came with that statement. I can’t understand that. I didn’t come down to 185 to face him. Actually I didn’t have that intention. … Changing divisions and fighting the champion would be too pretentious. I should have to have many fights before facing him, but concerning his last statements, I think the way is open and the war is declared.

“If he beats Thales, we will meet and we will see if he will be able to do everything he says. … He knows me; I know him. We trained a lot together. He knows my failures, but I also know his failures, and I know nobody has given him a hard time. Nobody has beaten his face badly. I believe the future is pretty promising. Let’s wait and see.”

While Wanderlei declared war on one former teammate, he opened the doors of his gym to another in Rafael Cordeiro, who recently left Chute Boxe.

“Besides being a great friend, Rafael is one of the best MMA trainers in the world,” Wanderlei said. “I can say that because I was trained by him for more than 10 years. The doors of my academy are open to him. It would be a pleasure to be trained by him again.”

Guilherme Cruz contributed to this report.

I think Wandy can get him. he could overpower him and catch him easily.

the thing about Anderson that i think is he likes to counter. he does everything off of your offense. wandy could get to him. he got to rampage but left his hands low unfortunately..he got to chuck too but got caught.

anderson is like roy jones with the speed though...it will be hard but i honestly think wandy has a shot at beating him. and going up and down in weight will eventually catch up to him too i think.

I think Wandy can get him. he could overpower him and catch him easily.

the thing about Anderson that i think is he likes to counter. he does everything off of your offense. wandy could get to him. he got to rampage but left his hands low unfortunately..he got to chuck too but got caught.

anderson is like roy jones with the speed though...it will be hard but i honestly think wandy has a shot at beating him. and going up and down in weight will eventually catch up to him too i think.

Wandy would get Leben'd if he tried to "overpower" Anderson. a dude who comes forward with wild strikes like Wandy is tailor made for Anderson

i have all of Anderson fights, he's never been close to being KO'd before, i don't see this version of wand being the man to do it.

I"ll take:

Silva

Chuck

Cantwell

Kongo

Stann

Some good undercard fights I hope to see:

Nathan Quarry (10-3) vs. Jason MacDonald (21-11) - I'll take Jason "TUF killer" McDonald

-Denis Kang (31-11-1) vs. Xavier Fouka-Pokum (20-9) - Kang should bounce back

-David Loiseau (18-8) vs. Ed Herman (16-7) - Really want to see this one. Loiseau was a top fighter before Franklin embarrassed him. I think he starts his comeback, and Herman gets cut from the big show.

-Matt Wiman (11-5) vs. Sam Stout (13-5-1) - Could be fight of the night right here. I'll take Wiman by split decision.

-Eliot Marshall (7-3) vs. Vinny Magalhaes (6-4)I don't like either one of these guys. I'm an optimist, so I want to see this fight to watch someone I don't like get beat up. I'll take Vinny by sub.

Edited by Sebowski

The fights that I am most interested in:

Cane by TKO Rd. 1 (**** it)

Kongo by Murder in Rd. 1 although I do want to say round 2 because he seems to take a few minutes to get going.

Liddell by TKO Rd. 2

Silva by TKO Rd. 1

EDIT: Is this a card that you just have to get or are some of you watching online?

Edited by cjcdaman

The fights that I am most interested in:

Cane by TKO Rd. 1 (**** it)

Kongo by Murder in Rd. 1 although I do want to say round 2 because he seems to take a few minutes to get going.

Liddell by TKO Rd. 2

Silva by TKO Rd. 1

EDIT: Is this a card that you just have to get or are some of you watching online?

its on ppv, although i'm sure there will be various streams on the internets

its on ppv, although i'm sure there will be various streams on the internets

No, I definitely knew that. My question was, in a nutshell, who is paying for the event and who thinks it's not a good enough fight card to purchase? I would LOVE to watch it in HD on a 56" TV, but my finances tell me otherwise.

No, I definitely knew that. My question was, in a nutshell, who is paying for the event and who thinks it's not a good enough fight card to purchase? I would LOVE to watch it in HD on a 56" TV, but my finances tell me otherwise.

I feel you there. Gotta suck it up this time and watch on the computer.