Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'm right there with you Chachie. I want to like BJ, but it's so damn hard. I can't stand the arrogance, and I can't stand the people around him. I have such a high respect for his fighting ability and attitude towards the sport. He could sit on his haunches in the LW division and just accept notoriety for being the #1 LW in the world (though, IMO, still debatable). But maybe that arrogance makes for a good champion. Maybe it's that arrogance that makes them strive to be the best at as many things as possible.

Long story short, despite my dislike for BJ's attitude, I respect the hell out of him, and hope he brings some competition to the MW division.

Never been a fan of blood-licking either. Anyhoo. Go Beej!! :D

Never been a fan of blood-licking either. Anyhoo. Go Beej!! :D

While I find it bizarre and homo-erotic on BJ's part, I don't mind that. He's trying to be ol' islander warrior when he does that.

That being said, I'm sick of hearing a French-Canadian talking about puh-for-mance. ;)

welcome back, Bro!

Who you backing on saturday night?

What I like about MMA is that there aren't 9 million weight classes like in boxing. I have a fav fighter at each weight class, BJ is my fav LW and GSP is my fav WW. But if I have to pick one, it's BJ. I lived in Hawaii when I was little and have lots of family there. He's the hometown hero. I also have a TON of respect for his BJJ abilities, earning his Black Belt in 3 years AND being the first non-Brazilian to win 1st place in the Black Belt Division at the Mundials? Ridiculous. He truly is a prodigy.

FYI it takes the average person 8-10 years to earn a BJJ Black Belt. You can do it in 5-7 if you're young, athletic, and a fast learner.

latest odds for this weekends event (not the final odds):

UFC Lightweights - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.Thiago Tavares-130 Manny GamburyanEVEN UFC Light Heavyweights - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.Jake O'Brien-250 Christian Wellisch+195 UFC Welterweights - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.Chris Wilson-295 John Howard+235 UFC Welterweights - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.Matt Arroyo-200 Dan Cramer+160 UFC Lightweights - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.Nate Diaz-130 Clay GuidaEVEN UFC Welterweights - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.Jon Fitch-800 Akihiro Gono+500 UFC Light Heavyweight - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.Stephan Bonnar-185 Jon Jones+145 UFC Light Heavyweight - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.Lyoto Machida-290 Thiago Silva+230 UFC Welterweights - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.Karo Parisyan-260 Dong Hyun Kim+200 UFC Welterweight - Ultimate Fighting Championships 94 - MGM Grand Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada - January 31st OddsBoth must fight for action.George St. Pierre-170 BJ Penn+140

if i were betting $$$, i'd lay some cash on Jon Jones, Dong Hyun Kim, & BJ

Nothing to add, just thought it was shameful that this thread made it almost to the 3rd page the day before one of the best cards we've seen in a long time.

Yeah. I was surprised not to see it on page one like normal this morning. I can't wait for this fight. I am way more pumped for it than the Super Bowl. Who's with me on that?

By: MMAmania

“This weekend is the GSP/BJ rematch, I’ve been doing a lot of interviews on this topic, since I’ve fought both of them (lost to both and beat them both). I think this fight comes down to a lot of things, I think GSP will have a slight wrestling advantage and I think BJ will have a submission advantage. GSP might be a little quicker with his punches; but I believe BJ has more power and has a stronger chin. If BJ shows up in good shape, I think he can get his hand raised at the end. If BJ doesn’t show up in good shape, then he might have some problems.”

From Hughes' site

Yeah. I was surprised not to see it on page one like normal this morning. I can't wait for this fight. I am way more pumped for it than the Super Bowl. Who's with me on that?

Definitely agree with you on that...But, I'll have money riding on the Super Bowl, whereas I never bet on MMA. Too unpredictable for my liking.

I already stated my qualm with it. We will be lucky to see each belt defended twice in one year. Snore. If people need fighters to have two belts to become a fan, then obviously they are just casual fans that won't really have an effect on the sport's longtime success. I only content with Anderson leaving MW because the division has been stifled by him. BJ has yet to defend his belt.

Dana White does not agree with you.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13861/dana-white-no-apologies-for-st-pierre-vs-penn-super-fight.mma

...But White scoffs at any criticism over UFC 94's headline fight.

"Who gives a [expletive]?" White said. "Super fights are awesome. Who wouldn't like a super fight to see two of the best in the world? ... It's ridiculous. People are always going to ***** about something.

"If Thiago or Kenny were both in the same position, they'd want the same opportunities these two are going to get. It's like B.J. Penn said. He said it's not about winning the welterweight title; it's about who you win it from. Beating Georges St. Pierre is big. And for Georges St. Pierre, beating B.J. Penn is a big deal. It's a big deal for these. It's a big fight and a big motivator for these guys."

It's also a big fight for the fans, he said.

"If you look at ticket sales and how fired up people are for this fight, super fights are a good thing," White said.

Dana White does not agree with you.

Of course he doesn't. He's a business man, I'm a fight fan.

He's looking to bring in viewers, I'm looking as many title fights as I can see. This fight will bring in viewers, he's doing his job.

The new fans won't care about specific situations a BJ Penn win causes. They'll be busy learning about Don Frye vs. Takayama while the LW Belt gathers dust in BJ's garage. When it comes down to it, gathering belts in boxing didn't really effect the consistency of championship bouts because there were so many weight classes. With only 5 weight classes in the UFC, it would require a fighter to maintain perfect health and an epic case of endurance to defend each belt a couple times a year.

However, this fight is going to be awesome, and I'm already feeling nervous. I don't have the answer to fix a champ vs. champ format, so here's to hoping GSP wins.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

my picks:

Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones: Jones is supposed to be a pretty good prospect at only 21 years old (only started fighting last April). i saw few interviews with him, very humble and respectful dude. he has some flashy strikes but still not that technical, he is a JUCO wrestling champ though. Bonnar is coming off a long layoff, his experience should carry him, but i'll say he's going to be rusty and the young gun will pull the upset.

Jon Jones by Unanimous Decision

Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim: if Karo makes it to the cage, its obvious something is not right with him mentally. he needs to take some time and get those panic attacks under control. Kim looked bad his last fight, but does anyone remember the last time Karo looked good?

Dong Hyun Kim by TKO, 2nd Round

Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida: Guida will try to push the pace. neither fighter is a great striker by any means, but Clay would be best served to keep this on the feet. Guida has been subbed by guys of a lesser caliber than Diaz before. i'm betting it hits the ground and Diaz's slick bjj will catch Guida when he makes a mistake

Nate Diaz by Submission, 2nd Round

Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva: Thiago's aggressive style plays right into the hands of Machida's counterstrike strategy. i'm more interested to see what happens if this fight hits the ground as neither is really used to being on their back. both have black belts, although Thiago prefers to use his to gain position and ground n pound people. Machida basically just has to survive Thiago's initial burst and he will probably gas as he had in a couple of his fights in the past. Machida actually finishes an opponent this time.

Lyoto Machida by TKO, 2nd Round

Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn: i've analyzed this fight too much already. BJ's conditions will be the ultimate factor in this fight, if he's not prepared to go a full 25min, he will be stopped around round 4. i think BJ's tank will last though. the next major factor is if GSP can put BJ on his back again. these two probably have the best takedown defense in all of MMA. i want to see what happens if GSP is put on his back for some reason, we haven't seen GSP's guard much in his career. bottom line, i think this fight goes the distance, with BJ earning the split decision, based on overall damage, and stuffing GSP's takedowns this time around.

B.J. Penn by Split Decision

Chachie's Picks that none of you should make if you value your reputation:

Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim: Panic schmanic. The only thing Karo's freaking out about is losing again and not being able to walk around like he's top dog. I like his throws and he's a great grounder who can win this fight. I don't like his ego but he's fun to watch when he's on. I hope he's on so we all see a good fight.

Come on, Karo. Walk the Walk in 2 and a half rounds.

Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida: Clay = Fast starter, Nate = sloooow starter. The 1st round will be very interesting. I'm a Diaz Bros fan but I swear Nate can't keep winning with casual first rounds as he climbs the talent ladder. Go Nate but you better find some early fire to stay in it.

Clay Guida by GnP round one.

Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva: "Thiago's aggressive style plays right into the hands of Machida's counterstrike strategy. i'm more interested to see what happens if this fight hits the ground as neither is really used to being on their back. both have black belts, although Thiago prefers to use his to gain position and ground n pound people. Machida basically just has to survive Thiago's initial burst and he will probably gas as he had in a couple of his fights in the past. Machida actually finishes an opponent this time."

Yep- Not only did I use your template, SU- I used one or your fight calls. I think will be a different finish though.

Machida by RNC, 3rd Round

Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn: I already gave away my thoughts on this fight. Betting on Beej, "seeing" GSP winning it. I'm sticking with my sig bet, although I should get a forfeit due to Orlando getting his dumb butt banned.

B.J. Penn will lick the blood from his gloves in 4 rounds. KTFO

This is a very interesting card altogether. Some really neat matchups that make a fan think. Me likey. I hope it lives up.