Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

http://sherdog.com/news/articles/huerta-passes-on-ufc-contract-15722

Roger Huerta wants to flex a new muscle.

The popular lightweight has turned down a new five-fight contract with the UFC to pursue a career in acting in 2009. Huerta has one more fight on his current contract with the UFC that will see him back in the Octagon some time before December. After that, Huerta said he’d re-evaluate his options.

“I’m not burned out [with fighting],” said Huerta. “I have one fight left with the UFC and I want to honor that. As soon as they tell me to fight, I’ll fight my last fight on the contract.”

After getting bit by the bug last summer shooting a role in the film “Tekken,” Huerta said the timing felt right to tackle a wholly different challenge.

“I saw that you have to dedicate as much as you do to training for a fight as you do for an acting role and I’m intrigued by that,” said Huerta. “I’m 25 years old. I see Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture and they didn’t really hit their primes till their thirties. I’m only going to be young so long and I know that movies and agencies and what not want the young look.”

The handsome bi-lingual fighter was pushed heavily on the press following his rousing victory over Leonard Garcia at UFC 69 in April 2007. The performance landed the Minneapolis resident the cover of Sports Illustrated that May – a first in the sport’s 15-year history. However, Huerta believes it was his gut-wrenching performance against Clay Guida at “The Ultimate Fighter 6” finale in December 2007 that brought on his popularity with fans.

“I felt naked after that fight because I gave everything I had in there, from physical abilities to my emotions,” said Huerta. “I was a little messed up in the head for the next two months. That last round took a lot out of me. I went to another level mentally.”

Though Huerta (20-2-1, 1 NC) fought and won five times in 2007 -- culminating with the Guida bout -- his schedule became muddled the next year. In 2008, he entered the cage only once and lost to Kenny Florian via unanimous decision at UFC 87 last August.

Huerta’s contract was extended for two six-month periods during that time due to his inability to commit to fights that were offered to him. Over the summer, Huerta made plans to return to Augsburg College, but the opportunity to play Miguel “The Matador” Rojo in the feature film adaptation of the popular video game “Tekken,” proved too good an opportunity to pass up. Huerta remains one class shy of his Bachelor’s Degree, while the film, in which Huerta has a small speaking role, is due out in fall 2009.

Huerta also turned down a fight with Joe Stevenson at UFC 95 on Feb. 21 in London, due to “personal family issues.” Stevenson will now face Diego Sanchez instead.

Huerta’s reps believe the fighter’s future in film looks promising. Huerta recently signed a three-movie development deal with Lion’s Gate films, whose recent projects include “The Transporter 3” and “The Spirit.”

http://www.fightline.com/news/2009/0108/379643/quinton_rampage_jackson.shtml

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson has had a pretty good past couple of weeks. He exercised some demons from the past at UFC 92 after soundly beating Wanderlei Silva, a man that had defeated him twice before.

Then today, Jackson entered a plea agreement in which he will not be required to serve any jail time for a peculiar incident that occurred back in July when Jackson was arrested after crashing into two cars and then fleeing the scene and leading police on a five-minute car chase. He was subsequently taken to the hospital after police on the scene determined that he was "mentally unfit" to be booked and was later charged with felony hit and run and felony evading arrest.

UFC President Dana White provided the icing on the cake later this afternoon when he stated that Jackson would likely face Rashad Evans for the UFC light heavyweight title.

Fittingly, Evans won the title at UFC 92 after knocking out Forrest Griffin; the man who upset Jackson last summer for the belt. At the UFC 92 post-fight press conference Jackson was asked if he'd like to fight for the title or to avenge his close decision loss to Forrest Griffin; a defeat that clearly continues to haunt him. An emotional Jackson stated his desire to face Griffin and get "revenge".

But now according to White, Jackson has had a change of heart. When asked if the winner of another high profile UFC light heavyweight matchup, Thiago Silva vs. Lyoto Machida, would be first in line to face newly minted champ Rashad Evans, White was blunt.

"No, I think it's going to be against Rampage," said White. "Rampage changed his tune a few days after he said that [he wanted to fight Griffin]. He said, 'Screw that, I want to fight for the title.'"

should be a great fight

I think Rampage still needs to get help. I dont think he is a bad guy but you dont just do what he did 2 seperate times and snap back to normal. I think something is wrong inside of him mentally whether it is depression or chemical.

The truck thing was bad but I thought maybe he was just pissed or drunk. But then sitting in the backyard and his own friends having to get him put in a hospital is really bad.

I think Rampage still needs to get help. I dont think he is a bad guy but you dont just do what he did 2 seperate times and snap back to normal. I think something is wrong inside of him mentally whether it is depression or chemical.

The truck thing was bad but I thought maybe he was just pissed or drunk. But then sitting in the backyard and his own friends having to get him put in a hospital is really bad.

I agree. I like Rampage, but I think it was way too early for him to get back in the ring. His drug tests came back clean, so there was obviously something wrong with him on those two occasions and that does not go away without help. And I seriously doubt it had anything to do with energy drinks Dana.

But what do I know, I thought it was too early to come back and I thought his performance might suffer...but I was wrong as my boy Wandy got KTFO.

I think it might be a quick KO for Rampage actually. Rahsad hasn't fought anyone with the kind of defense on the feet that Rampage has and he hasn't fought an inside boxer like Rampage either.

Not to mention Rampage is a great wrestler and is going to be a lot more powerful than Rashad.

But as we've seen Rashad has the KO power to catch Rampage. I just don't see him getting through Rampage defense.

I agree. I like Rampage, but I think it was way too early for him to get back in the ring. His drug tests came back clean, so there was obviously something wrong with him on those two occasions and that does not go away without help. And I seriously doubt it had anything to do with energy drinks Dana.

But what do I know, I thought it was too early to come back and I thought his performance might suffer...but I was wrong as my boy Wandy got KTFO.

I listened to an interview with him a few days after the Wandy KTFO and he sounds a lot healthier mentally. He sounds like the old Rampage again laughing and joking and just being crazy (in a good way lol).

Let's just hope he doesn't lose another fight ols.

I think it might be a quick KO for Rampage actually. Rahsad hasn't fought anyone with the kind of defense on the feet that Rampage has and he hasn't fought an inside boxer like Rampage either.

Not to mention Rampage is a great wrestler and is going to be a lot more powerful than Rashad.

But as we've seen Rashad has the KO power to catch Rampage. I just don't see him getting through Rampage defense.

I listened to an interview with him a few days after the Wandy KTFO and he sounds a lot healthier mentally. He sounds like the old Rampage again laughing and joking and just being crazy (in a good way lol).

Let's just hope he doesn't lose another fight ols.

I picked Rashad to lose almost every big fight he's been in and finally learned my lesson when I took him over my fave, Forrest Griffin. Now I just figure he can beat anyone. He made a fool of me too many times so until he loses, I can't predict a loss for him. Dude just keeps shocking the world and smiling while he does it.

:whoknows:

i don't see a quick KO. think about it, have you ever seen Rashad hurt in a fight? the only time i can remember him being stunned is after a shot from 260lb Brad Imes in the TUF Finale, but he recovered quickly. Rashad took a flush shot from Chuck in the 1st round and shook it off. Rashad's chin is underrated, he can take a shot

Rampage's defense is relegated to punches. he has great defense for punches, horrible defense for kicks/knees. i can see alot of leg kicks from rashad with him moving out of Rampage's range before Page can do damage. Rampage is counterstriker by nature, Rashad won't chase him.

i think this fight is a toss-up, i'm not sure who i'm picking yet

Edited by StillUnknown

I disagree...he was hurt by Forrest and Chuck. maybe not knocked down or completely lost his senses but he was stunned by both men.

i consider a fighter "stunned" when the body has a movement they can't control. sort of like when Randy did the harlem shake after Brock hit'em with that elbow. or when Fedor's legs turned to jello after the shot by Fujita.

when was he hurt by forrest or chuck?

i consider a fighter "stunned" when the body has a movement they can't control. sort of like when Randy did the harlem shake after Brock hit'em with that elbow. or when Fedor's legs turned to jello after the shot by Fujita.

when was he hurt by forrest or chuck?

right around this time...

evans-griffin-425.jpg

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2008/12/27/ufc-92-live-blog-forrest-griffin-rashad-evans/

great photo gallery..im gonna say #21 is probably a good indication as well of when he may have been hurt.

Edited by BigMike619

I picked Rashad to lose almost every big fight he's been in and finally learned my lesson when I took him over my fave, Forrest Griffin. Now I just figure he can beat anyone. He made a fool of me too many times so until he loses, I can't predict a loss for him. Dude just keeps shocking the world and smiling while he does it.

:whoknows:

True. Could be dangerous to pick against him. I have picked against him twice now and lost...for some reason I just see Rampage as a better matchup for him.

Although I thought Griffin stung him once or twice while winning the first 2 rounds, I never saw Evans in danger of being beaten in that fight. Then he caught Forrest and boom. Over.

BTW- If anyone (StillUnknown) has video of Fedor being rocked, please post it!

Edited by Chachie

Although I thought Griffin stung him once or twice while winning the first 2 rounds, I never saw Evans in danger of being beaten in that fight. Then he caught Forrest and boom. Over.

he didnt catch Forrest with a BOOm until he was already on the ground. if you remember correctly he caught his leg kick and then took him down with it.

(clip of the wobble)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YGoKqz_wC0&NR=1 (entire fight)

that is the closest i've seen Fedor come to losing a fight. even when Randleman slammed him on his head, he was still in control of his faculties. Fedor's legs were still wobbly after he came back to choke out Fujita

Edited by StillUnknown

(clip of the wobble)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YGoKqz_wC0&NR=1 (entire fight)

that is the closest i've seen Fedor come to losing a fight. even when Randleman slammed him on his head, he was still in control of his faculties. Fedor's legs were still wobbly after he came back to choke out Fujita

The closest I've ever seen Fedor to losing a fight was when he actually lost one. :cool: Although, he came back and wiped the pee stains on the bathroom tiles with that somn****. Pretty stupid call, IMO, the cut he had against Lindland was much worse.

The closest I've ever seen Fedor to losing a fight was when he actually lost one. :cool: Although, he came back and wiped the pee stains on the bathroom tiles with that somn****. Pretty stupid call, IMO, the cut he had against Lindland was much worse.

should've been a NC, elbows weren't allowed in the organization. ref screwed up

I think the turning point in the Forrest/Rashad fight is when Rashad answered one of Forrests' outside leg kicks with one of his own. You could kinda see Forrest say, "oh, ****" and Rashad started winning the exchanges after that.

As far as Rampage vs. Rashad, my first instinct is to pick Rashad. He's faster than 'Page, and doesn't sit around in the pocket like Rampage does. He sets up his bombs from way outside, while Rampage likes to exchange a few punches in the pocket because he has great defense with his arms. Rashad will go in there with a great gameplan and frustrate Jackson with his elusiveness. Then, bam.

But here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll