Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Right when BJ challenged GSP after the Fitch fight, I said, "BJ is goin' down." Haven't changed my sentiment on that. I think GSP will beat him around the cage.

Ill tell you what, that UFC show didnt help BJ endear himself to anyone. Talking about how he is a rich kid and he knows it, how he was taking a mini vaca during training and basically dogging out GSP for being in the cold.

He called GSP a quitter!! does he not remember beating GSP's face and then still losing because GSP was a warrior?

But I still think that Penn will beat him...

Ill tell you what, that UFC show didnt help BJ endear himself to anyone. Talking about how he is a rich kid and he knows it, how he was taking a mini vaca during training and basically dogging out GSP for being in the cold.

He called GSP a quitter!! does he not remember beating GSP's face and then still losing because GSP was a warrior?

The rich kid thing is a criticism for Penn. As good as he is now a lot of people think he could be even better because he doesn't do this for a living and can take longer breaks from training at his pleasure, but if he were in there working for longer throughout the year there's no telling how great he could be.

GSP is the furthest thing from a quitter in MMA. The man is pure heart and soul.

Yeah I'm not digging the fact that my man Penn seems to be reverting back to who he was when he would get to the top and then come up short because he didn't want to pay the full price in training or staying humble in the face of the sport. I'm committed to my sig bet (I've got BJ) but I question whether or not he'll deserve a victory if it's close.

just a reminder for those watching the ppv via an internet stream, it starts at 3pm(est). they will replay it again at 10pm(est) but it will be live beforehand.

my picks:

Denis Kang vs. Alan Belcher: I'm rooting for Kang simply because when he's at his best, he's one of the best at 185. hopefully his time with the UFC will be consistent. Belcher is a decent striker, but Kang should not have any problems. I can't see Kang losing this one.

Denis Kang by TKO, 2nd Round

Chris Lytle vs. Marcus Davis: these two will stand and bang, Lytle has never been stopped (outside of cuts) and Davis' chin appears to be solid. toss up fight that won't really change eithers future within the division. they will trade shots for 3 rounds, with Davis getting a few more cleaner strikes in with leg shots.

Marcus Davis by Split Decision

Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares: Horn has seen better days, and is obviously past his prime. Toquinho took Dan's best shots and was not finished by them, his chin is solid. i can't see Horn KO'ng him. Toquinho will clinch and get the fight to the ground where he will end it quickly with a sub.

Toquinho by Submission, 1st Round

Shogun vs. Mark Coleman: Coleman will want to use his wrestling to get this to the ground for some ground n pound. even if he does, Shogun's BJJ should be good enough to get a sub. on the feet, its no contest. Shogun just needs to survive the initial burst from Coleman and he should have this fight sewn up. i'm rooting for Shogun, him at his best is a great thing for the LHW division.

Shogun by TKO, 2nd Round

Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin: Hendo has the concrete chin, and dynamite in his right hand. Franklin has the technical skills when it comes to striking. Henderson has the edge on takedowns, Rich has a decent BJJ game. Hendo's striking is still sloppy at times, which Rich should be able to take advantage of. if it goes to the ground, i don't see Rich subbing Hendo, but i think he'll be able to avoid damage and get the fight back to the feet. i expect rich to be cautious and technical and take advantage of the opportunities opened by Hendo's suspect technique.

Rich Franklin by Unanimous Decision

Chris Lytle vs. Marcus Davis: I love Marcus. He's a balls-out scrapper but I just think Lytle's conditioning and experience will give him the edge. This fight will be VERY close and could be a fight-of-night candidate.

Chris Lytle by Unanimous Decision

Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares: Jeremy wont get punked or subbed but he's too old to win this one.

Palhares by decision

Shogun vs. Mark Coleman: I think Coleman's washed up and even if he's not, he's rusty. If Rua doesn't get hurt, he'll destroy Mark. The only thing going for the Hammer IMHO is that he's proven he can fight in the cage. Shogun has not. (Yet.)

Shogun by TKO

Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin: Dan is undoubtedly looking to impress this time around due to 2 losses and a decision in the UFC so far. He'll come out strong. If Rich survives the early barrage, he'll take advantage of Hendo late. I like both fighters but I just want Rich Franklin to win because I want him to continue proving he's one of the best despite Silva's pwn3ge of him.

Rich Franklin by Split Decision

Yeah I'm not digging the fact that my man Penn seems to be reverting back to who he was when he would get to the top and then come up short because he didn't want to pay the full price in training or staying humble in the face of the sport. I'm committed to my sig bet (I've got BJ) but I question whether or not he'll deserve a victory if it's close.

Don't read too much into that vacation thing. Trying to time your "peak" is common practice for fighters. Here is BJ before the show even aired

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13716/b-j-penn-im-going-to-try-and-kill-you-but-its-nothing-personal.mma

Penn said he doesn't know exactly what to expect from "UFC Primetime" but that you can immediately rule out one possible scenario.

"I know if you see something like me slacking, that ain't true," Penn said. "I'm training so hard for this fight. I'm going to be the champion. If you see some [expletive] like me slacking on the show, don't believe the hype."

"UFC Primetime" airs Wednesdays, starting tonight and ending Jan. 28, at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV.

-------

And his trainer after (from mmamania)

“Dana White was making a big deal out of nothing. He makes it out to be that [bJ] is on vacation, not training and not taking [the fight] seriously. This fight is the most serious fight of all time. We’re not playing around…We’ve got a good training camp here…Dana doesn’t understand because he’s not a fighter. We don’t want [bJ] burning out or peaking at the wrong time…I saw [uFC Primetime] and I laughed because we know what we are doing. [Dana] will pull out drama in anything he does. He’s not a drama queen, he’s a drama king.”

-BJ Penn head trainer Rudy Valentino responds to InsideFighting about the infamous phone call Dana White made to “The Prodigy’s” brother JD Penn on Wednesday night’s SpikeTV premiere of UFC Primetime.

---------

In that junkie article he also expains the "I'm going to try to kill you" quote

Edited by Sebowski

Chris Lytle vs. Marcus Davis: The Irish Hand Grenade by UD

Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares: Palhares by sub, 2nd round

Denis Kang vs. Alan Belcher: Kang by TKO, 2nd round

Shogun vs. Mark Coleman: Shogun by TKO, 1st round

Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin: Hendo by UD

Edited by lovetoaster

UFC 93: Go Out there and Break an Arm, predictions

Chris Lytle vs. Marcus Davis: Lytle, as I've said before, is the quintessential gatekeeper. You beat him, you get a nice boost in the rankings, you lose, you fall pretty far. There is a stark contrast between the fighters he's beat and those he's lost to. The losses are mostly from big-name fighters, the wins, not so much. I think Marcus, as much as he got handled by Swick (who I think has a shot at the belt), is better than Lytle. He'll have to have a real off-night, in front of the Irish crowd no less, to lose this one. Coming off of a loss is mentally challenging, but he looks too excited to give this one up. Davis, RNC, round 3.

Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares: I think Horn is almost done. He's looked slow and disinterested his last few bouts. Who can blame him when he's closing in on 54 million fights? Palhares survived a mostly stand up war with Dan "Hollywood Haymakers" Henderson, which leads me to believe Jeremy won't pose any threats with the stand up game. Horn used to have good striking, but unfortunately, I think he's washing up on shore all together. However, this is a great opportunity, beating Palhares would be a huge boost, but I don't think it will happen. Palhares negates Horn's strength by a mile with his lights-out jiu jitsu. Palhares, gogoplata, round 1.

Alan Belcher vs. Dennis Kang: I'll take the upset in this one. Kang is a talented fighter, no doubt, but we've seen most debut performances become lackluster lately. The overwhelming UFC crowd, the bigger octagon, Belcher's experience in it. He's a pretty good fighter, also. He probably HAS to take Kang down and overwhelm him quickly. A quick counter attack that catches the jittery Kang off guard. Belcher, TKO G&P, round 2.

Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio Rua: Coleman's first fight in two years, Shogun's first in almost a year and a half. This could be sloppy. Therefore, I think the advantage goes to the wrestler. Coleman is 44 with experience against the best heavyweights in the world in their primes. Shogun is a PRIDE GP winner, and a previously ranked p4p fighter, who is 27. But the injuries, the headgames, the octagon, no footstomps. A lot is working against Shogun right now. This is the perfect matchup. An old warrior squeezing out the last bit of talent he has left to get through this, against a bruised and battered master at his craft. I'd love to see Coleman end up in a great position on top. Can Shogun sweep or pull a sub? Or will the original ground and pounder show us how it's done? I think this fight, on paper, is closer than many people think it is. Therefore, I'll have some fun and go with the upset. Coleman, G&P TKO, Round 3.

Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson: Rich Franklin is a very technically sound fighter. He's great at sweeps and sub defense. His standup isn't incredibly dynamic, but he uses it to great effect when he has the advantage there. I think he can chop down Henderson with well-timed strikes when Hendo attacking, but he better hope that's the case. If Hendo cracks Franklin with a hook, from either hand (I'm tired of only hearing about his right hand, his left has a ball peen hammer in it, as well), Franklin is going to wish he was fighting The Spider. I think getting in Franklin's guard is dangerous for Hendo, Franklin is nasty when he sweeps and gets his balance over top of you. Hendo should stick to the kind of bombs he threw against Palhares. Fall in to him with a huge bomb and GTFO. In the end, I think Henderson does more damage, and this wins fight of the night. Henderson, UD,

Gameplay from UFC Undisputed 2009. Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson. The striking looks like something out of a Rocky movie, and the transitions look like they're done on a grappling dummy. Kind of disappointing looking, right now.

http://thegarv.com/2009/01/17/rich-franklin-vs-dan-henderson-the-video-game/

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Gameplay from UFC Undisputed 2009. Rich Franklin vs. Dan Henderson. The striking looks like something out of a Rocky movie, and the transitions look like they're done on a grappling dummy. Kind of disappointing looking, right now.

http://thegarv.com/2009/01/17/rich-franklin-vs-dan-henderson-the-video-game/

yeah, hopefully they clean up some of that before its released. i don't expect them to get everything right with this game. its the first MMA game in a long time, the next editions will definitely be much better than this one.

Chris Lytle vs. Marcus Davis: Lytle in split decision in the Fight of the Night

Can't wait for this one. Hope its the first fight and sets the bar high for the next sleeper.

Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares: Palhares by sub

Speaking of sleepers... Hopefully these guys don't' nullify eachother and play D the whole time. This could be a very exciting BJJ match, or most boring fight of the night.

Denis Kang vs. Alan Belcher: Kang by sub

I'm real excited for this one too. Belcher has great standup. Kang can make some noise at 185 if he gets back to top form, and think he will have an impressive debut.

Shogun vs. Mark Coleman:

Shogun by sub

Surest fight right here. Shogun will walk right through Coleman. Armbar finish.

Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin: Franklin by split

Back and forth fight here. See this going the distance. Wish this had Pride rules or at least 5 rounds. I see Franklin doing a little more and winning the judges favor.

SPOILERS

---------

I went 4 for 5 on my picks, if Coleman would have lasted 24 more seconds I think I was on my way to 5 for 5. I scored the Franklin/Hendo match 29-28 for Franklin. Thought Rich won his rounds relatively convincingly, as well. Nonetheless, Hendo and Bisping will be a good fight. Hendo will have an easier time ground and pounding Bisping than he had against Rich, my early thought is that Hendo wins that one.

Shogun/Coleman was possibly the worst fight i have ever had the displeasure of watching

i fully expect Dana to put Shogun against Chuck next so Chuck can add Shogun's name to his resume

HA, oddly enough I thought watching Coleman survive gassing halfway through round 1 through the rest of the fight was awesome. I haven't routed for a guy so openly for a while. Of course, if it were anybody but Shogun he would have been finished (isn't that a sad thing to say). For a second there I thought Shogun was toying with him, setting up a Double Dragon cyclone kick or Haduken fireball. But then I quickly realized he was gassing, as well. It looked like two 60 year olds trying to put their friends' urns on a mantle. I had Coleman winning 29-27, and the 1 point was only deducted from Coleman because of the knockdown at the end of round 3.

In my opinion, it was a bad stoppage. Coleman got caught but he was on his hands and knees. I think he would have grabbed a single and held on 'til the end of the fight. The refs are getting really bad these days.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Shogun/Coleman was possibly the worst fight i have ever had the displeasure of watching

i fully expect Dana to put Shogun against Chuck next so Chuck can add Shogun's name to his resume

x2 i guess your not the same without the juice. That was a terrible fight i don't care if he has'nt fought in 16 months that is a terrible display of cardio conditioning did he even train. Shogun had the shoulder lock in rd 2 but was to tired to finish it. I thought it was a way premature stop Coleman was gonna grab the leg and probably was gonna win the fight. Has bad has Chuck has looked lately he would destroy Shogun.

Dan won with takedowns and not much else i had him winning rd1+2 and Rich rd3. In a 5 round fight i think Rich woulda wore him down.

Kang fight pissed me off he was dominating the whole fight and gets caught shooting for the takedown.

Edited by Samuels