Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I think the only question for anyone fighting Kimbo Slice is, "Can I take him down before he knocks me out?" It's certainly apparent that Slice's hands are made of granite. If he connects, the fight automatically takes a turn in his favor. Fast. Rogers must think he can either take Kimbo's shot (wrong) or avoid getting hit before he makes his move.

Kimbo's got a decent sprawl for a big guy, Rogers may be able to take him down but I don't if Shamrock can at his age. He was a good wrestler back in the day but I just don't see him having it anymore.

I think the only question for anyone fighting Kimbo Slice is, "Can I take him down before he knocks me out?" It's certainly apparent that Slice's hands are made of granite. If he connects, the fight automatically takes a turn in his favor. Fast. Rogers must think he can either take Kimbo's shot (wrong) or avoid getting hit before he makes his move.

I understand that you mean "anyone" as in anyone around Kimbo's skill level. There are plenty of guys out there that can beat Kimbo at his own game, and I think Rogers is one of them. Rogers does look like a guy you'd see in one of Kimbo's Youtube fights, but looks are deceiving in MMA (Fedor and BJ Penn, for example). No, I'm not comparing Rogers to those two; rather to justify my point. It took 3 rounds for Kimbo's granite hands to score a standing TKO against James Thompson, who Rogers flatlined in 2 minutes. Yes, MMA math, but it does make it apparent that Rogers has an overwhelming comparison to Kimbo's bread and butter.

Kimbo also lacks speed. His punches are short, but don't have much snap at all. Fighters get drawn in to exchanges because they can see where his punches are coming from, but he can punch through arms really well. Once you're flat footed in the pocket, you're in his game. Rogers does have some snap, and will probably get in and out of the pocket until he sees Kimbo taking a deep breath, when he will take a shot. Even if he doesn't shoot, I think he will chop down Kimbo with a more tactical and patient plan. Kimbo's cardio is ****, even if it gets a lot better, I think his only chance of beating Rogers is a big shot early on.

The rumors are HUMMIN about Couture's comeback, this is the most significant by far.

Randy Couture Looking At Three Year UFC Contract Extension

http://www.fightline.com/news/2008/91/randy_couture_342004.shtml

As we previously reported. Randy Couture had been offered and was considering a three-fight contract with the UFC. MMARated.com then reported over the weekend that a three fight extension was on the verge of being agreed to which would see the popular UFC champion return in a fight against Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 on Nov. 15.

Fightline.com was able to confirm the information with multiple sources today and we're being told that Couture was adamant that the UFC make a fight with world consensus number one heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko. The UFC has apparently agreed to seriously consider a co-promotion with M-1 Global/Affliction, but wants Couture to face Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 first.

Specific proposed contract details are unavailable at this time, but we're being told that the deal on offer is extremely generous.

We'll have more on this breaking story as details emerge.

The rumors are HUMMIN about Couture's comeback, this is the most significant by far.

Randy Couture Looking At Three Year UFC Contract Extension

http://www.fightline.com/news/2008/91/randy_couture_342004.shtml

As we previously reported. Randy Couture had been offered and was considering a three-fight contract with the UFC. MMARated.com then reported over the weekend that a three fight extension was on the verge of being agreed to which would see the popular UFC champion return in a fight against Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 on Nov. 15.

Fightline.com was able to confirm the information with multiple sources today and we're being told that Couture was adamant that the UFC make a fight with world consensus number one heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko. The UFC has apparently agreed to seriously consider a co-promotion with M-1 Global/Affliction, but wants Couture to face Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 first.

Specific proposed contract details are unavailable at this time, but we're being told that the deal on offer is extremely generous.

We'll have more on this breaking story as details emerge.

I'll believe it when the ink dries.

I understand that you mean "anyone" as in anyone around Kimbo's skill level. There are plenty of guys out there that can beat Kimbo at his own game, and I think Rogers is one of them. Rogers does look like a guy you'd see in one of Kimbo's Youtube fights, but looks are deceiving in MMA (Fedor and BJ Penn, for example). No, I'm not comparing Rogers to those two; rather to justify my point. It took 3 rounds for Kimbo's granite hands to score a standing TKO against James Thompson, who Rogers flatlined in 2 minutes. Yes, MMA math, but it does make it apparent that Rogers has an overwhelming comparison to Kimbo's bread and butter.

Kimbo also lacks speed. His punches are short, but don't have much snap at all. Fighters get drawn in to exchanges because they can see where his punches are coming from, but he can punch through arms really well. Once you're flat footed in the pocket, you're in his game. Rogers does have some snap, and will probably get in and out of the pocket until he sees Kimbo taking a deep breath, when he will take a shot. Even if he doesn't shoot, I think he will chop down Kimbo with a more tactical and patient plan. Kimbo's cardio is ****, even if it gets a lot better, I think his only chance of beating Rogers is a big shot early on.

The way I see that Kimbo CAN win this fight is because of his chin. Rogers is going to go in and brawl with him. Despite it taking Kimbo 3 rounds to beat Thompson, Thompson didn't JUST stand there and go toe-to-toe. Had he, I think the fight would have been much shorter.

I do agree with you on all of Kimbo's deficiencies. However, Rogers is not used to fighting someone with Kimbo's chin or his punching power. If they start going blow for blow, it's anyone's fight. If Rogers relies on his MMA skills, then it's his fight to lose.

Quick question and just curious what others have to say. Hendo and Soku; Legitimate threats still or have they been exposed? Don't get me wrong, Hendo has proven that in the PAST he is a legit fighter. But is his age now a factor? He says he probably overtrained for his last two fights, and he didn't properly cut weight for his Silva fight.

Soku? Is he a strong striker lacking the necessary skills to win against elite competition now that there is some real tape on him? We saw him destroy two of the best LHW's in Pride, but now that people are studying him, can he really be a threat for the title?

I'm on the fence with both of them. I expect Hendo to win his next fight, and in dominant fashion, but that won't answer the question for me. Soku is still a big time ? for me. He's obviously an Olympic athlete, which means he has the raw talent, and his most recent loss was against Mach before anyone was sure Mach was the real deal.

Quick question and just curious what others have to say. Hendo and Soku; Legitimate threats still or have they been exposed? Don't get me wrong, Hendo has proven that in the PAST he is a legit fighter. But is his age now a factor? He says he probably overtrained for his last two fights, and he didn't properly cut weight for his Silva fight.

Soku? Is he a strong striker lacking the necessary skills to win against elite competition now that there is some real tape on him? We saw him destroy two of the best LHW's in Pride, but now that people are studying him, can he really be a threat for the title?

I'm on the fence with both of them. I expect Hendo to win his next fight, and in dominant fashion, but that won't answer the question for me. Soku is still a big time ? for me. He's obviously an Olympic athlete, which means he has the raw talent, and his most recent loss was against Mach before anyone was sure Mach was the real deal.

i think Soku is real deal, you gotta remember he's only 23 or 24, so his best days are still ahead of him.

Henderson on the other hand is obviously on the back end of his career, but i don't think age is so much the problem as him just being matched up with great fighters in back to back fights

Major UFC Announcement Today at 3PM ET

www.ufc.com

Dana White will hold a media conference call later today to make a major UFC announcement. The call will take place at 3pm ET/12Noon PT. Check back with UFC.com for the full report.

I smell Rannday baby, yeah!

Or maybe they will make an announcement about a new line of fighter action figures lol....no I think this is going to be about Randy.

Or maybe they will make an announcement about a new line of fighter action figures lol....no I think this is going to be about Randy.

Dude, Sherdoggers are so convinced it's about Randy that if Dana comes out and says "Surprise! GSP vs BJ Penn at UFC 91!", UFC.com will be hacked for good.

It should be about Randy, I mean the guy got so self-rightious and thought his movie was going to become the next Terminator 2. I don't recall T2 going straight to DVD, Mr. Randal Couture Sr. The X factor in this is Fedor. Will they cross-promote with Affliction, will they have to make a octa-ring-tagon to satisfy both of them? I think it would be a great move for the UFC, whether Randy loses in 1 minute or 2 minutes.

The Y factor is Brock Lesnar, who seems to bring a force of nature with him to the octagon, but has he earned a shot at Randy? 2-1, really? Great matchup, IMO, and most fight fans will forget about how this newbie is fighting Mr. Veteren-Champion once they're starring at each other in the face.

I think Werdum has to be a little pissed at how he's getting slighted. Mir comes back, kneebars a rookie, and gets a shot at the belt. If I were Werdum, I'd be dumbfounded as to how he's considered, at best, #5 in the division.

Dude, Sherdoggers are so convinced it's about Randy that if Dana comes out and says "Surprise! GSP vs BJ Penn at UFC 91!", UFC.com will be hacked for good.

It should be about Randy, I mean the guy got so self-rightious and thought his movie was going to become the next Terminator 2. I don't recall T2 going straight to DVD, Mr. Randal Couture Sr. The X factor in this is Fedor. Will they cross-promote with Affliction, will they have to make a octa-ring-tagon to satisfy both of them? I think it would be a great move for the UFC, whether Randy loses in 1 minute or 2 minutes.

The Y factor is Brock Lesnar, who seems to bring a force of nature with him to the octagon, but has he earned a shot at Randy? 2-1, really? Great matchup, IMO, and most fight fans will forget about how this newbie is fighting Mr. Veteren-Champion once they're starring at each other in the face.

I think Werdum has to be a little pissed at how he's getting slighted. Mir comes back, kneebars a rookie, and gets a shot at the belt. If I were Werdum, I'd be dumbfounded as to how he's considered, at best, #5 in the division.

Dana said multiple time that Werdum was going to get the next shot, then Mir beat Lesnar and is more practical for TUF coach since Werdum can't speak english

Dana said multiple time that Werdum was going to get the next shot, then Mir beat Lesnar and is more practical for TUF coach since Werdum can't speak english

True about the TUF coaches, but damn, a reality show messing with the integrity of the sport. Should have waited it out and made BJ/GSP coaches for the next season.

Anyway, about 7 minutes from now is the big news, standby.

Looks like Brock is getting a shot already, the UFC heavyweight division is way too thin.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7012&zoneid=2

He beat Heath Herring for christ sakes. It is one hell of a head scratcher. Heath Herring and Min Soo Kim gets you in to a fight with Randy Couture.

Werdum, for years has been perfecting his trade and working hard to get to where he's at. Nogueria beats Herring, beats Tim, has to beat Mir, THEN he gets his shot at the undisputed title.

When they get in to the octagon, I will forget about all that and really enjoy watching Randy and Lesnar throw down. And revenue wise, this is a good move for the UFC. But fighters are getting screwed here.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

He beat Heath Herring for christ sakes. It is one hell of a head scratcher. Heath Herring gets you in to a fight with Randy Couture.

Werdum, for years has been perfecting his trade and working hard to get to where he's at. Nogueria beats Herring, beats Tim, has to beat Mir, THEN he gets his shot at the undisputed title.

When they get in to the octagon, I will forget about all that and really enjoy watching Randy and Lesnar throw down. But fighters are getting screwed here.

Dana White has toppped himself at giving title shots to ridiculous contenders.

That being said, I want to see Randy vs. Brock, but honestly Randy should be fighting Nogueria and there's a good chance he will as long as he beats Lesnar.

That being said, I want to see Randy vs. Brock, but honestly Randy should be fighting Nogueria and there's a good chance he will as long as he beats Lesnar.

Here is a rundown of the conference call as it's happening, keep refreshing the page. http://blog.mmaaddictforums.com/2008/09/live-chat-log-from-ufc-confernece-call.html

Sounds like Randy wants to get the Lesnar fight over with and get Fedor in the UFC. Dana says he thinks Affliction will be gone by January.

there is no justification of Brock getting a title shot before Werdum, complete bull**** on Dana's part

i don't mind seeing Randy vs. Brock, but in no way should it be for a title.

i got Brock winning this fight though.:2cents:

Wait, so is Big Nog being stripped of the belt, or is the winner of the Couture/Lesnar fight going to be considered the #1 contender? If they're going to strip Nog of the belt, that's absolute bull****.

EDIT: Nevermind, even stupider than I could have imagined. Brock and Couture fighting for the HW belt, and Mir/Nog fighting for the interim belt. Somehow, this single belt has split into two! ****. Boxing, here comes MMA. :doh:

Edited by herrmag

Wait, so is Big Nog being stripped of the belt, or is the winner of the Couture/Lesnar fight going to be considered the #1 contender? If they're going to strip Nog of the belt, that's absolute bull****.

EDIT: Nevermind, even stupider than I could have imagined. Brock and Couture fighting for the HW belt, and Mir/Nog fighting for the interim belt. Somehow, this single belt has split into two! ****. Boxing, here comes MMA. :doh:

No way that would happen. How would they promote the new season of TUF?

edit: I need to step up my reading game. This is utter BS. Lesnar is getting a shot at the belt? He's 1-1 in the UFC.

Edited by Cooked Crack

No way that would happen. How would they promote the new season of TUF?

edit: I need to step up my reading game. This is utter BS. Lesnar is getting a shot at the belt? He's 1-1 in the UFC.

there's a good chance Chuck is getting a shot if he beats Rashad, which would make him 2-2 in his last 4 fights.

have a .500 record in your recent fights and you are now qualified for a title shot

this is so much like boxing it scares me