Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Serra deserves more credit than that. I don't think he got "lucky" in the first fight. He just had the perfect gameplan against GSP's poor gameplan. He straight boxed him and GSP let him. You have to give him credit for knocking out one of the best PFP fighters out there.

These last fights were his only fights at 170. He is a 155'er. I am excited to see him fight some people in that division.

BTW, how cool would it have been if Serra's entrance music was "Team America's" theme?

AMERICA! F___K YEAH!

The crowd would have went nuts.

You can't argue the fact that the GSP that got knocked out by Serra isn't the same GSP that handed Koshchek and Hughes their asses. He's not the same GSP who completely mauled Serra last night. After getting KTFO he got his head straight, trained harder and came back a totally different fighter. Serra and his camp should have never questioned GSP's mental aspect of the game. Who's laughing now?

You can say the same things about GSP that you did about Silva. GSP dictates his fights too. Wouldn't you say that Lutter tried to bring the fight to Silva but got beat by his own game? GSP got subbed by the submission machine Matt Hughes so don't say he can't be subbed.

No one in the world at 185 his a shot against Silva. GSP would be his toughest fight and I think Silva would win 8 out of 10 of those.

Machida would be an interesting fight. but I don;t think he wants to drop to 185.

I dunno, Silva's weakness is definitely his ground game, if you want to call it a weakness. He's a good submission guy but Henderson won the first round of their fight on the ground. Lutter was beating him on the ground. It's going to take someone strong and athletic to take him to the ground and beat him up; who's that sound like?

GSP got out wrestled by Hughes who then sub'd him. GSP has out wreslted arguably the best two wrestlers in the sport since then and of course that includes Hughes.

Machida would be a great match for Silva, he's big, strong, great striker and would most likely take Silva to the ground and out beat him up. I'd like nothing more than to see that matchup.

As much as there isn't any excitement about a title challenger at 185, there is some exitement about some contender matches.

I'd like to see Rich vs. Henderson or Leben

Okami vs' Marquartd

Really any of those 5 guys fight except Okami-Franklin.

If McDonald looked good last nigh you could throw him in there. I haven't looked up that outcome yet.

Franklin looks to be the gate-keeper at 185

Henderson/Franklin would be a great fight, Leben has a great chin and power but IMO he's just not polished enough to hang with these guys. Okami and McDonald I don't think are in the same league either. I'd like to see Rich keep training and fine tune his game enough to get the title back. You have to wonder though, will his head allow him to beat Silva. After getting beat up twice by a guy it's tough to see yourself beating him.

Just to add to the discussion, Serra is a tough guy. He lasted longer than Hughes and I'd really like to see that matchup. I think GSP should stay in WW and not look towards fighting Anderson for at least a couple years. It's one thing to win the belt, it's another to freeze it around your waist. I get the feeling GSP had a lack of "purpose" when he held the belt. He doesn't get comfortable with it as much as he gets nervous about losing it. When he's chasing something, he is a scary fighter.

Fitch should get the next shot at him, even though GSP would probably not be "impressed with his last performance". Fitch is on a huge streak and has earned the shot. I think GSP will be excited to prove himself against a streaking contender and TKO him.

The middleweight division finally has some real excitement about it. I think Bisping will be a very good middleweight. He had a fantastic thai clinch and busted the guy's arm with those smooth and quick knees. Guy is for real, he'd give Anderson a good fight if it wasn't a given that he'd get subbed. Rich and Nate had impressive performances as well. Rich looked to be finished with an armbar and did his pattented flip on the ground.

Speaking of flips, GSP didn't fall on his face last night with that backflip, 9/10.

A big thing I'm waiting for is to hear Kalib's story. Any sig bets for what his excuse is? Injury, lack of money he gets paid to take a punch, he had to take a huge #2? Whatever it was, that was by far the biggest avoidance-job in UFC history. I would've loved to have been around Dana White for that fight. Can you imagine how hilarious he was? I would have turned blue from laughing, much like Kalib's thigh today. By the way, Quarry wins the laugh of the year award, that contest is over. How FREAKING funny was that? Oh my god.

Henderson, Franklin, Okami, Bisping, Quarry, Silva. You can match all those guys up against each other, and I'm probably missing a few. Someone buy Lutter a treadmill and throw him in the mix, also.

Danzig is solid, but I fear that he'll get eaten up by someone with a really good standup. Anthony Johnson totally ravaged Tommy Speer, a guy Danzig had to sub, even with fresh wounds on Speers' face. Danzig is well rounded, but not at a high level. If the Far East LW's start coming to the UFC, he could be a welcome mat in years to come. I hope he starts showing some vengence in his game, he's almost relies on being too methodical. I will root for Danzig to climb to the top, I like the guy and hope he proves me wrong.

The middleweight division finally has some real excitement about it. I think Bisping will be a very good middleweight. He had a fantastic thai clinch and busted the guy's arm with those smooth and quick knees. Guy is for real, he'd give Anderson a good fight if it wasn't a given that he'd get subbed. Rich and Nate had impressive performances as well. Rich looked to be finished with an armbar and did his pattented flip on the ground.

Henderson, Franklin, Okami, Bisping, Quarry, Silva. You can match all those guys up against each other, and I'm probably missing a few. Someone buy Lutter a treadmill and throw him in the mix, also.

i agree with most of what you said.

Middleweight division certainly looks much better than it did even 6months ago. to the guys you listed i would add Ricardo Almeida and Demian Maia. should have some really great matchups in that division over the next few months.

i agree with most of what you said.

Middleweight division certainly looks much better than it did even 6months ago. to the guys you listed i would add Ricardo Almeida and Demian Maia. should have some really great matchups in that division over the next few months.

Looks like welterweight will be the new weakest division of the UFC now. Hopefully GSP isn't thrown any rematches, or it could get boring within the next few years. Fitch looks to be up next. I'd like to see Thiago Alves and Marcus Davis take on GSP. You'll probably be seeing Diego/GSP within the next 2 years. Although, Diego has transformed himself physically since those back to back losses...

If GSP holds it down, the WW division better get some young blood to give him a fight. And those lower-rung fights won't have any luster to them. I smell another WW TUF soon.

Looks like welterweight will be the new weakest division of the UFC now. Hopefully GSP isn't thrown any rematches, or it could get boring within the next few years. Fitch looks to be up next. I'd like to see Thiago Alves and Marcus Davis take on GSP. You'll probably be seeing Diego/GSP within the next 2 years. Although, Diego has transformed himself physically since those back to back losses...

If GSP holds it down, the WW division better get some young blood to give him a fight. And those lower-rung fights won't have any luster to them. I smell another WW TUF soon.

indeed, i actually think Koscheck if he improves has the best shot of any of the welterweight contenders to beat GSP. GSP walked through Serra & Hughes, and alot of people gave Koscheck a round against GSP. his decision loss to GSP looks pretty good right now seeing how dominant GSP has been recently.

i really like Alves, but GSP would never mess with his dangerous leg kicks and would just take him down all fight long. As great as Davis' run has been, i need to see him against somebody thats in the top10 before i give him a shot, he has a great and improving skill set though.

Diego doesn't seem to fare well against fighters who are physically stronger than him. i think GSP would control him and finish him in the 2nd.

i believe the next TUF is for light heavyweights & welterweights

You can't argue the fact that the GSP that got knocked out by Serra isn't the same GSP that handed Koshchek and Hughes their asses.

That is easy to say. You can say that the same Silva that lost his fights isn;t the same Silva that is tearing through the division.

I think you are vastly underrating Silva's ground game. You keep mentioning Lutter beating him on the ground. That fight ended on the ground with Lutter tapping out. I don't know what else you want from him. He is a black belt in BJJ from a very good camp. He knows how to stay safe on the ground and get back to his fight, or just sub you from his back.

Marquardt was suppose to be tailor made to beat Silva. Didn't happen. He took Silva down twice but ended up on getting swept and stopped before the first round.

Henderson was suppose to be a bad match up for Silva and Silva choked him out.

GSP might be able to get him down once or twice, but I doubt he'd be able to do any damage. Silva's guard is too good.

Keeastman, what weight class does your man fight in? Do we know him? My wife has a friend she went to school with who fights in the UFC @ 185.

Nah, you wouldn't know him. On the rare occasion that he does fight, it's at 145. He hasn't fought since 2006 though, he's focused more on wrestling and school.

Silva's guard is too good.

It's those ridiculously long legs. When you think about it's kind of sad because grappling and the ground game is supposed to be the equalizer for short vs. tall and it is in a sense (you're still better off on the ground vs. standing with someone who has a large reach advantage over your).

However, it still pays to have long limbs! Silva's mount escape against Lutter is a testament to this fact and so is the ease with which he throws up those triangles.

Just saw UFC 83 last night, I was out of town for it. Looks like GSP is up there with Fedor and Anderson as the best pound for pound fighters in the world...

Also, Rich Franklin is hands down,the #2 guy @ 185, he just can't beat Silva. Although, I'm not sure why it took him so long to finish Lutter, because he was seriously GASSED in round 2.

That is easy to say. You can say that the same Silva that lost his fights isn;t the same Silva that is tearing through the division.

I think you are vastly underrating Silva's ground game. You keep mentioning Lutter beating him on the ground. That fight ended on the ground with Lutter tapping out. I don't know what else you want from him. He is a black belt in BJJ from a very good camp. He knows how to stay safe on the ground and get back to his fight, or just sub you from his back.

Marquardt was suppose to be tailor made to beat Silva. Didn't happen. He took Silva down twice but ended up on getting swept and stopped before the first round.

Henderson was suppose to be a bad match up for Silva and Silva choked him out.

GSP might be able to get him down once or twice, but I doubt he'd be able to do any damage. Silva's guard is too good.

I'm not saying Silva's ground game is suspect. If you go back and read what I've written you'll see that I said I think it's the only way someone will beat him. The two fights where he's looked beatable was the first round against Hendo and against Lutter. Both times he was on his back. You're not going to stand with him and strike because he's too fast and he'll reach out and touch you with his lightnening quick legs. IMO it's going to take a strong 185 guy to out muscle/work him on the ground. The dude is beatable, you guys act like he's the second coming or something. Everyone is beatable.

Scenario #2, someone with a chin needs to withstand a few shots and get a couple of his own off. Since Silva's been on his tear who's tested his chin?

I'm not saying Silva's ground game is suspect. If you go back and read what I've written you'll see that I said I think it's the only way someone will beat him. The two fights where he's looked beatable was the first round against Hendo and against Lutter. Both times he was on his back. You're not going to stand with him and strike because he's too fast and he'll reach out and touch you with his lightnening quick legs. IMO it's going to take a strong 185 guy to out muscle/work him on the ground. The dude is beatable, you guys act like he's the second coming or something. Everyone is beatable.

Scenario #2, someone with a chin needs to withstand a few shots and get a couple of his own off. Since Silva's been on his tear who's tested his chin?

Of course he is beatable. Like you said, everyone is. I just think he is the least likely to be beat in the future. I expect him to beat everyone I can think of him fighting.

Chael Sonnen or Matt Lindland might be the best suited middleweights to beat him, but I would still pick Silva.

I'll admit I have never seen his chin tested (or at least can't remember).

Of course he is beatable. Like you said, everyone is. I just think he is the least likely to be beat in the future. I expect him to beat everyone I can think of him fighting.

Chael Sonnen or Matt Lindland might be the best suited middleweights to beat him, but I would still pick Silva.

I'll admit I have never seen his chin tested (or at least can't remember).

Silva's chin was tested against Hendo. in the 2nd round Hendo landed a clean uppercut, afterwards Silva taunted him with a "bring it on" move. After that exchange, Hendo landed a flush right hand directly on the chin of Silva and he walked through it.

his chin is solid

Captain Obvious reports tha Khalib Starnes has officially been cut from the UFC.

Here is the King, Dana "Good to be" White on the matter:

“He just doesn’t belong in the UFC and after his performance the other night, he should consider a new line of work.”

Captain Obvious reports tha Khalib Starnes has officially been cut from the UFC.

“He just doesn’t belong in the UFC and after his performance the other night, he should consider a new line of work.”

first time in a long time, but i completely agree with Dana on this one.

http://mmamania.com/2008/04/21/report-chuck-liddell-vs-rashad-evans-ufc-85-fight-scrapped/

Former light heavyweight champion, Chuck Liddell, has been forced to withdraw from his upcoming main event fight against Rashad Evans at UFC 85 in London, England, on June 7 because of an injury sustained during training, according to MMARated.com.

Here’s a snip:

“No word on the extent of the injury and how long he will be out but plans are for both men to face each other later in the summer.”

“Iceman” was originally scheduled to duke it out with Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at the O2 Arena; however, an injury to the Brazilian sidelined him and “Sugar” stepped in.

More on this breaking news in a bit.

not sure how true this is, but if it is, they are goin to have to scramble to make a credible main event.

Rashad was going to fight Thiago Silva until Shogun got hurt and he had to replace him to fight Chuck. Maybe they make that fight happen. I know Thiago has a new opponent, but this fight should take precedent.

probably won't happen for 2 reasons:

1. Evans/Thiago Silva just won't produce any decent ppv buys

2. its not really fair to either fighter to have them fight when they have been preparing for different style fighters.

not quite sure what Dana will do about this situation. right now the biggest fight on the card is Werdum vs. Vera, not exactly main event material to the masses.

Rashad was going to fight Thiago Silva until Shogun got hurt and he had to replace him to fight Chuck. Maybe they make that fight happen. I know Thiago has a new opponent, but this fight should take precedent.

You know, I don't know if they'd do a double-switchup between two fights. Thiago's opponent would need a new opponent, and gameplans would have to be totally revamped on pretty short notice. Granted Thiago isn't fighting a guy with a big name, so it might be able to be justified to send Thiago to Rashad and let Houston Alexander fight Thiago's current opponent. Houston really needs 3 months to shake off his 7-second loss?

I'd really like to see Thiago/Rashad.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Drrrrrrr. That was inevitable.

Another reason to love MMA. You get on your bike during a fight and you will ride into the sunset after. I really liked Khalib but he's just proven too soft too many times.

:laugh:

A) Franklin has no title

B) The main part of the story is about the GSP-Serra fight:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/other_sports/ultimate_fighting/view.bg?articleid=1088597&srvc=rss

Franklin retains title with TKO of Lutter at UFC 83

MONTREAL - Georges St. Pierre reclaimed his welterweight title Saturday night, dominating Matt Serra in a second-round TKO before a hometown crowd at UFC 83.

The 26-year-old St. Pierre was greeted by a deafening roar from the crowd of 21,390 at Bell Centre, filled with Canadian flags, fervour and more than a little testosterone. He wore black trunks with a fleur-de-lys, matching the tattoo on his right calf.

The boos started before the stocky Serra, from Long Island, N.Y., even started his entrance.

St. Pierre took Serra down right off the bat in the mixed martial arts bout.

The crowd sang "Ole, Ole Ole" as St. Pierre went about his business looking to improve his position on the ground. It took Serra four minutes to get back up and then St. Pierre took him down again.

It was more of the same in the second, with two takedowns and a standup exchange that St. Pierre won. The end came when referee Yves Lavigne moved in to stop a turtled Serra from absorbing any more knees to the body at 4:45 of the second round.

St. Pierre (16-2) did a backflip in the middle of the ring. A dazed Serra (16-5) regrouped and then the two fighters hugged.

Serra upset St. Pierre for the 170-pound crown one year ago at UFC 69 in Houston.

"It’s the most beautiful day of my life. A dream come true. And I couldn’t wish for a better scenario, honestly," St. Pierre said. "It’s like a dream, it’s amazing.<

"But I know what happened (when he lost to Serra). I’m going to work even harder to stay there."

In the co-main event, former middleweight champion Rich Franklin earned a TKO over Travis Lutter at 3:01 of the second round.

Franklin survived a stint on the ground with Lutter, a black belt in jiu-jitsu, in the first round of a fight that did not live up to its billing.

Lutter tried for an armbar but missed and he soon paid for that failure. In the second, Franklin’s Muay Thai strikes and knees eventually took a toll on a gassed Lutter as he tried unsuccessfully for a takedown.

Franklin improved to 25-3 in bouncing back from a second loss to champion Anderson Silva. Lutter, fighting for the first time in 14 months after back and neck problems following his own loss to Silva, fell to 12-5.

On the undercard middleweight Jason MacDonald pounded out a win in an all-Canadian grudge match with rival Joe Doerksen.

MacDonald (21-9) finished the mixed martial arts fight with a string of elbows to the head, then stood over his fallen opponent after referee Steve Mazzagatti stopped the bout 56 seconds into the second round.

The Canadian show ranks as the biggest _ and fastest sellout _ in UFC history. The previous attendance record was 19,049, set at UFC 68 on March 3, 2007, at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

Also, welterweight Jonathan Goulet of Victoriaville earned the first UFC win on Canadian soil when he survived some heavy punishment late in the rough first round to stop Kuniyoshi Hironaka at 2:07 of the second.

wow, thats pathetic. i know MMA is new to the mainstream but damn, thats just sad reporting on their part.

Earlier today the title said:

"Franklin retains Welterweight title with TKO over Lutter"

They fixed that but apparently were too lazy to fix the rest of it.