Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Just in case you weren't sure how big of a douchebag Travis Lutter is:

“… I got caught – I haven’t watched the fight yet but some of my buddies told me I got caught with a pretty good punch about 18 seconds in…. I thought I had him. I was really surprised when he was able to roll out. It’s pretty rare for somebody to get out. It’s just one of those things. Golf clap for Rich for getting out…. I was probably a half-inch, maybe even a quarter-inch, from breaking Rich Franklin’s arm. If we played that fight again I think I’ve got a real good shot at beating him. How close was I to getting my arm raised in both those fights? Sometimes luck is … And, I’m not saying that Rich got lucky. I don’t want people sending me hate mail saying I was saying Rich got lucky. I’m just saying I got unlucky.”

Franklin said the armbar was loose just like they scouted it would be and he was never worried about it.

Why would a BJJ guy like Travis have a loose armbar like that? To scared to actually break his arm?

Here is Franklin's quote on mmajunkie.com

"I was never really concerned about that (arm bar)," Franklin said. "We watched the tape on Lutter and looked at his arm bars, and some of the arm bars he was executing from the mount were a little loose... so I was somewhat letting the right arm (free), feeling I could escape."

Yeah, he gassed in like 30 seconds. When he stood up from their first roll on the mat, he was done. From there it was a matter of time.

I just don't see how someone can neglect their cardio knowing they have a 15-minute fight coming up. You're supposed to train to fight one more round than you're scheduled to have that night.

Obviously Lutter trained for 1 round...maybe he thought he could just finish Franklin quickly?

Here is Franklin's quote on mmajunkie.com

"I was never really concerned about that (arm bar)," Franklin said. "We watched the tape on Lutter and looked at his arm bars, and some of the arm bars he was executing from the mount were a little loose... so I was somewhat letting the right arm (free), feeling I could escape."

I know what Franklin said, but seems like a rookie mistake a BJJ like Travis should not make.

I just don't see how someone can neglect their cardio knowing they have a 15-minute fight coming up. You're supposed to train to fight one more round than you're scheduled to have that night.

Obviously Lutter trained for 1 round...maybe he thought he could just finish Franklin quickly?

Most of you guys actually participate in MMA. I'm a 41 yr old weakling who sits back and judges with no experience. I just know that dude was toast after the first takedown. His face was screaming, "Kill me now!"

New Main Event for UFC 85

Matt Hughes vs. Thiago Alves

It is on all the sites now so take your pick for a link.

I'm not that excited about this. I think Hughes is a bad matchup for Alves.

Hughes gets Serra next regardless of the outcome here.

Also, Cro Cop vs. Jerome LeBanner is booked for DREAM on June 16th.

Cro Cop will have his hands full and we will see if he still has it.

Just in case you weren't sure how big of a douchebag Travis Lutter is:

“… I got caught – I haven’t watched the fight yet but some of my buddies told me I got caught with a pretty good punch about 18 seconds in…. I thought I had him. I was really surprised when he was able to roll out. It’s pretty rare for somebody to get out. It’s just one of those things. Golf clap for Rich for getting out…. I was probably a half-inch, maybe even a quarter-inch, from breaking Rich Franklin’s arm. If we played that fight again I think I’ve got a real good shot at beating him. How close was I to getting my arm raised in both those fights? Sometimes luck is … And, I’m not saying that Rich got lucky. I don’t want people sending me hate mail saying I was saying Rich got lucky. I’m just saying I got unlucky.

Was anyone confused about Lutter's d-baggedness in the first place? I've always disliked the idiot. He's a complete slob and lazy-ass with his training and never shuts his trap...perfect combo to get me to hate you as a fighter.

Why would a BJJ guy like Travis have a loose armbar like that? To scared to actually break his arm?

Because he's lazy.

seemed like he was fighting lazy to me.

Correct. As per his usual routine he didn't train for stamina.

Sorry, I'm a bit harsh, but I seriously can't stand lazy people. I watched how hard my boyfriend and some of the other wrestlers trained and sacrificed to become All-Americans in college and came to appreciate how difficult their training regiment was. They worked hard to perfect every move, they busted their butts to maintain their cardio level to ensure they could make it through multiple matches a day, etc.

When I see an "elite" fighter like Lutter give a sloppy-ass performance in the octagon it really pisses me off. There are guys who aren't pro or trying to work their way up the pro standings who would die to have the opportunity to fight in the UFC...so when I see someone who's already there perform sloppily then blame it on his "unluckiness" it really steams me.

Not familiar with LeBanner. Got any info, Bowski?

a premier K-1 fighter for the last few years. great striker, who's had mixed results transitioning to MMA.

i think he'll KO CroCop though

as for the new UFC 85 main event:

it all depends on Alves' takedown defense. if it stays standing, Alves will KO hughes. Alves has some of the most brutal leg kicks in MMA. he has shown a poor takedown defense though.

this fight ends one of two ways, Hughes by decision, or Alves by KO/TKO

Not familiar with LeBanner. Got any info, Bowski?

Like SU said he is a premier kickboxer, and K-1 vet. He called out Sylvia a couple years ago, but never got the fight.

This is Cro Cop's game. It should show us if he is still an elite kickboxer. If he is no longer that, than he is finished. He struggled with Knogo, he can't afford to do the same against LeBanner. On the other hand, if he knocks out LeBanner he has to be considered a feared striker again.

Lebanner is 6-3 265

Here is a highlight vid

I like these fights. I think Cro Cop will take out LeBanner, with a little help from Mr. HGH. LeBanner is a big mother fo, and I love watching his kickboxing training videos on youtube, but he hasn't done that well in MMA. If Cro Cop returns to form, he has this one. Tis a very good matchup of strikers.

Hughes and Alves is another goodie. I'll have to really think about this one. Hughes has had a good amount of time off, but has he been farming corn the whole time with his new John Deer? Hopefully, he comes in looking like the tank he once was. I think he has a few more big pushes in him if he really wants it. Alves isn't a pushover, but I think it's a good matchup for Hughes.

I like these fights. I think Cro Cop will take out LeBanner, with a little help from Mr. HGH. LeBanner is a big mother fo, and I love watching his kickboxing training videos on youtube, but he hasn't done that well in MMA. If Cro Cop returns to form, he has this one. Tis a very good matchup of strikers.

Hughes and Alves is another goodie. I'll have to really think about this one. Hughes has had a good amount of time off, but has he been farming corn the whole time with his new John Deer? Hopefully, he comes in looking like the tank he once was. I think he has a few more big pushes in him if he really wants it. Alves isn't a pushover, but I think it's a good matchup for Hughes.

if i was Alves i would immediately come out with leg kicks to try and kill some the power in Hughes drive-through takedowns. if i was Hughes, i would practice catching leg kicks for the takedown.

Alves has improved his takedown defense, but this is still Matt Hughes.

if it stays standing, Hughes could be embarrassed, as his standup has not improved at all over the years.

if i was Alves i would immediately come out with leg kicks to try and kill some the power in Hughes drive-through takedowns. if i was Hughes, i would practice catching leg kicks for the takedown.

Alves has improved his takedown defense, but this is still Matt Hughes.

if it stays standing, Hughes could be embarrassed, as his standup has not improved at all over the years.

I see a lot of clinching in this one. Hughes will get this to the ground. I think Alves would like to prove himself against Hughes down there. A few leg kicks before that happens might tip the scales to Alves. I don't think Hughes will put his head down to shoot against a young kid with lively legs, unless Alves misses with some big shots and opens himself up. Hughes will want to stall this against the fence and drag Alves down or do a pattented slam.

It will be interesting to see who wins a ground battle between these two. I think Hughes got his confidence armbarred also, in his last fight. We will certainly see if Matt has a second wind in his career.

Woo! Man, UFC 85 is looking amazing right now. Bisping is matched up against Leben!

Chris Leben vs. Michael Bisping

Marcus Davis vs. Mike Swick

Rashad Evans vs. James Irvin

Brandon Vera vs. Fabricio Werdum

How is that for a main card???? The undercard isn't bad at all, either.

Woo! Man, UFC 85 is looking amazing right now. Bisping is matched up against Leben!

gotta give Joe Silva credit for throwing a card like that together on a relative short notice. not a weak fight on the main card.

since there aren't any 5rd title fights, they should be able to show more than the guaranteed 5 fights. They definitely should show Marquardt/Leites, that should be a great fight

New Main Event for UFC 85

It is on all the sites now so take your pick for a link.

I'm not that excited about this. I think Hughes is a bad matchup for Alves.

Hughes gets Serra next regardless of the outcome here.

Also, Cro Cop vs. Jerome LeBanner is booked for DREAM on June 16th.

Cro Cop will have his hands full and we will see if he still has it.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: to both, especially the Hughes/Alves fight.

Most of you guys actually participate in MMA. I'm a 41 yr old weakling who sits back and judges with no experience. I just know that dude was toast after the first takedown. His face was screaming, "Kill me now!"

Never too late to start man. Training any branch of MMA will whip you into shape quickly :whip:

Rashad went from the main event to the least interesting fight of the night. Either way he still going to get his ass kicked. First it was going to be by Thiago Silva, then by Chuck Liddell. Now Irvin is going to kick his ass.

Rashad went from the main event to the least interesting fight of the night. Either way he still going to get his ass kicked. First it was going to be by Thiago Silva, then by Chuck Liddell. Now Irvin is going to kick his ass.

Rashad will finish Irvin in the 2nd. Irvin has a very poor takedown defense and is not really a threat to submit anybody. Rashad will take him down at will. i expect to see Rashad finish this fight similar to the way he finished Jason Lambert, ground and pound.

Like SU said he is a premier kickboxer, and K-1 vet. He called out Sylvia a couple years ago, but never got the fight.

This is Cro Cop's game. It should show us if he is still an elite kickboxer. If he is no longer that, than he is finished. He struggled with Knogo, he can't afford to do the same against LeBanner. On the other hand, if he knocks out LeBanner he has to be considered a feared striker again.

Lebanner is 6-3 265

Here is a highlight vid

Thanks to both of you. I had seen that one LeBanner KO where the opponent got up and got in his face after the ref stopped it and LeBanner dropped him for good measure. :)

Cro Cop sure doesn't get a break in the dangerous opponent department. He should warm up to a bout like this but he just keeps taking the big fights.