Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'll do a sig bet with you just b/c I really think this fight could go either way, so why not some friendly competition.

Breaking down the fight I have it dead even:

Striking-BJ

Power-Even: BJ hits harder but Sherk is much stronger in the clinch/control/takedowns

Wrestling- Sherk

BJJ- BJ

Cardio-Sherk

I think it really comes down to two things. How crisp will Sherk look after the layoff due to suspension, and will BJ have any cardio?

Some people are phenoms. Some are so good that they think they don't have to train hard. They just go off of their raw talent. BJ Penn is one of these people. He was great before, but once he realized this fact and started ACTUALLY training hard he became amazing. If his cardio sucked before it's because he thought that he would submit or KO the guy before he got tired...This was true most of the time. He knows that his only losses are because he had no cardio and he hired a strength and conditioning coach so that it would never happen again.

How crisp will Sherk look after the layoff? More like how crisp will he look without THE JUICE?

99killer, dude i LOVE the sig!!!

here's how i see some fights ending up.

bj over sherk.

lesnar over coleman

wandy over jardine

machida over tito ( too bad, i love tito. but he will lose)

Thanks dude, I knew you would like it! SU hooked me up with the gifs.

Let me throw down my quick picks:

Sherk over BJ: My brain says BJ but my heart says Sherk, I'm going with the heart.

Lesnar over Coleman: Coleman hasn't had a match since 2006 when he got subbed by Fedor, Lesnar is still a rook to MMA, but his wrestling is superior and I thought he would've take out Mir with strikes on the ground if it wasn't for Mazagatti's questionable penalty.

Machida over Tito: I'm going to say that Machida actually TKOs Tito and doesn't just eek out a decision...putting him in the title picture.

Wandy over Jardine: Wanderlei gets a stunning early 2nd round KO reminiscent of his Pride days to get his career back on the right track...otherwise he's going to have to drop to 185 or retire

"If his cardio sucked before it's because he thought that he would submit or KO the guy before he got tired...This was true most of the time. He knows that his only losses are because he had no cardio and he hired a strength and conditioning coach so that it would never happen again."

Will it happen again is the question. Did you see his post fight interview after his fight with Jens Pulver at the TUF finale? He was completely gassed and that fight was a joke. You can't really draw anything as far as cardio is concerned from the Joe Stevenson fight. BJ looked great in that fight and dominated start to finish, but the huge cut and all the blood ended that fight long before we got to see what BJ's cardio was like.

Sherk without the juice will be interesting. A lot of people still believe he didn't juice in which case we know what he'll fight like. If he did and is off now will he still be the same muscled up cardio freak we're used to seeing? I doubt it.

My picks are:

BJ over Sherk

Silva over Jardine- Silva will be way too aggressive for Jardine who prefers to fight counter punchers like Liddell. When you in his face he has a hard time (see Houston Alexander)

Machida over Tito- Tito hasn't looked good in 6 years. 3 blow out wins over a 500 year old Ken Shamrock, 2 losses to Chuck, 1 to Randy, a draw with Rashad Evans, split decisions over Forrest Griffin and Vitor Belfort, and a much smaller Patrick Cote took him to a decision

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=12541

Arizona Governor Signs Bill on MMA

12541.jpg [5/1/2008] A bill regulating mixed martial arts in Arizona was signed into law Monday by Gov. Janet Napolitano.

The law will direct the Arizona Boxing Commission to adopt rules for unarmed combat consistent with the unified rules for MMA, which means the commission will be able to allow closed-fist punches and elbows on the ground in addition to other regulations.

The law takes effect 90 days after the legislative session ends.

"I am extremely pleased that we were able to agree on a bill that will effectively promote commerce and bring a very popular sport to the state," said the bill's sponsor, Rep. Jonathan Paton, in a news release.

The Arizona Daily Star described Paton as a "mixed martial arts enthusiast who first learned about the sport as an Army reservist and continued to follow it while stationed in Iraq."

Ken Shamrock (Pictures) offered his support through the legislative process.

"Arizona becomes the next state to welcome mixed martial arts, the world's fastest growing sport," he said in a statement. "I was very fortunate to work with the Arizona Legislature, including Rep. Jonathan Paton and Senate Chief of Staff Victor Riches, as well as with John Montano, the associate director of the Boxing Commission on this bill. Now the fans can enjoy, and the fighters can participate in MMA events in their home state, and I am extremely excited about the prospect of bringing professional MMA events to Arizona." news_box2_b.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif Copyright © 2008, Sherdog.com - All rights reserved.

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Wow, you guys are laying down your predictions VERY early.

Some are even picking the August Lesnar-Coleman match. :laugh:

...I'll take Lesnar too.

I like the early hype. I hope BJ destroys Sherk. Sherk is terrible for the sport and very annoying. This is a huge fight for BJ. If he can't beat Sherk I'm not sure what is next for him. He needs to win this one and start dominating. If Sherk manages to lay on him for 5 rounds I will be one mad MoFo.

Franklin is willing to move to 205. I think it would be great for him and the UFC

From his manager Monte Cox:

“Rich has to make a decision. We’ve certainly considered going to 205 and seeing how he does up there. He’s fought almost everybody in the 185-pound division. There are some guys that he could fight, but if he beats them it knocks them out of title contention. And nobody is looking to see Rich and Anderson Silva 3 right now, including me. He’s not helping the 185-pound division right now by beating everybody up in it. We’ve talked about going to 205 and how would he match up with some of those guys, with a Forrest Griffin or a Keith Jardine. There’s a whole bunch of 205’s that I think would be interesting. In the end, we do what the UFC wants. If they want us to try 205, we’re up for it. If they want to keep us at 185, then we’ll do that too.”

I just mean that you shouldn't mess with BJ Penn.

Or Chachie, really. Doesn't he own you in these bets :laugh:

Yes but I've been taking the underdog in almost all of them, so it's not that big a deal. The only toss up one was hendo/silva. It's all in good fun, Penn's last fight was good but Sherk is crazy good keeping people on the ground and I'm still not sure BJ has the cardio to go the distance.

Chachie I'm taking Sherk, you sticking with your boy Penn.

You got it, Lando. :cheers:

If I win this time I demand a pic of you so I can enlist some photoshop assistance. :)

BTW, everyone else- This is the only time I've ever really crowed about it because it's not my style at all, but SkinsOrlando has been sporting Chachie sigs for at least 6 months now. :laugh:

(Yes. I realize that by talking trash after all this time I have finally killed my good karma and the mystical pendulum of good fortune now swings in Lando's direction. It's almost worth it to lose a sig bet to the man simply to be free of this snoozer of an MMA ES sig bet rivalry. I'm 3-0.)

You got it, Lando. :cheers:

If I win this time I demand a pic of you so I can enlist some photoshop assistance. :)

BTW, everyone else- This is the only time I've ever really crowed about it because it's not my style at all, but SkinsOrlando has been sporting Chachie sigs for at least 6 months now. :laugh:

(Yes. I realize that by talking trash after all this time I have finally killed my good karma and the mystical pendulum of good fortune now swings in Lando's direction. It's almost worth it to lose a sig bet to the man simply to be free of this snoozer of an MMA ES sig bet rivalry. I'm 3-0.)

Hey I had the option to take it down after the first bet since it was 2 weeks, but being the man I am,I cannot do such until my honor is redeemed. Hey and if I win then people might stop referring to me as "That guy whose got Chachie in his sig".:laugh: Snoozer, now it's on, I will be praying to the sig bet god's for your demise.:laugh:

Hey I had the option to take it down after the first bet since it was 2 weeks, but being the man I am,I cannot do such until my honor is redeemed. Hey and if I win then people might stop referring to me as "That guy whose got Chachie in his sig".:laugh: Snoozer, now it's on, I will be praying to the sig bet god's for your demise.:laugh:

:laugh:

Okay, so I SUPPOSE I didn't mention that Skins always takes the underdogs and the sigs are self-imposed after the standard 2 week limit.

Time to scan the ES photo threads... :silly: