Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Respecting The Rings

RiggoReincarnated

Riggo, all due respect, your constant use of warrior codes, battles and so forth are getting very old. Now maybe you're trying to draw a philisphophical similarity between that and football, but it's still way the hell off base. Football is a game. Plain and simple. It's competetion at a very high physcial level, but it is still, at its core, just a game. These men lay it on the line as competitors and teammates. There is no correlation between actual battle on any level and what these guys do.

You want warriors? True warriors who do what you say football players should do,look no further than Zoed, Airborne, Tarhog, and many others on this board who have and are currently engaged in true battle. As "warriors". As "gladiators" as you say.

Football players are athletes. Those considered the best are amazing athletes. Football is their way of life. How they support their families. That makes it a job. hey do one thing that you and I can't, and that's play football. For that they are paid well. Cool by me. I respect the hell out of what they do and the training they put in to do so. They play hard and through injuries. If you've ever met or known any of these guys, you'd know how much of a test it is at times just to get up in the morning. This does make them brave. This shows strength, but it is still not the same thing by any means imho. So how about lightening the hell up a little and take all this for what it is. Sport.

Park, of course its not the same thing, I was just making an analogy. But, in terms of mental preparation and toughness, I see a similarity between the two. The major difference is that I think in football, the positive tension/adrenaline can be enhanced by mental preparation. When you're literally fighting for your life, that's another story.

You think its fair to say that anybody that makes it in the NFL is better then 999 out of 1000 (or more) at their respective positions?

If so, I believe the mental aspect is what separates the champs from the chumps. Who truly is willing to lay it all on the line both in the offseason and inseason? Who will truly buy into the program? Who is going to be a primadonna and wreck team chemistry if given the chance?

Why do you think it hurts players, coaches and fans worse when a team comes into Fed Ex and wins? Because Fed Ex is our home, and it hurts worse when we lose here. Of course its not the same, but do you think its an accident we are tougher to beat at home then away? Of course not.

Its the offseason, during the regular season I'd never start a thread like this, because theres too much else to talk about X's and O's wise.

And like I told jrockster, you have my word that I won't start any new threads for two and a half months if I'm deemed wrong tomorrow.

Park, of course its not the same thing, I was just making an analogy. But, in terms of mental preparation and toughness, I see a similarity between the two. The major difference is that I think in football, the positive tension/adrenaline can be enhanced by mental preparation.

And who says it isn't presently? Think about it. Think of all the stories of what you have read in the past about about how football players, ( and all athletes for that matter), spend time mentally preparing for the upcoming game. All the game films and the studying of them that the players do. The attention given to the players that they will lining up across from them. The "getting to know" that player. Then the mental preparation before the games. In other words, it has and already is being done. By one technique or other, they have been and continue to do so. They and the coaches.

When you're literally fighting for your life, that's another story.
Okay. Glad you can see that one.
You think its fair to say that anybody that makes it in the NFL is better then 999 out of 1000 (or more) at their respective positions?

If so, I believe the mental aspect is what separates the champs from the chumps. Who truly is willing to lay it all on the line both in the offseason and inseason? Who will truly buy into the program? Who is going to be a primadonna and wreck team chemistry if given the chance?

Another statement of the obvious. It's long been stated by many athletes that it's not just the physical talents that seperate them from others, but the drive they have to succeed. That's the mental aspect. Also, the NFL, ( and sports in general), are flooded with stories of athletes who who were and are not as gifted as their contemporarys who succeeded anyway. Why? That mental aspect thing again.

Why do you think it hurts players, coaches and fans worse when a team comes into Fed Ex and wins? Because Fed Ex is our home, and it hurts worse when we lose here. Of course its not the same, but do you think its an accident we are tougher to beat at home then away? Of course not.

You're kidding right? Safe to say that this is true of just about all teams in all sports.

Parcells believes in browbeating and humiliating his players into working harder. He's very very good at it, and he's probably going to the Hall of Fame.

Gibbs motivates his players in other ways. He's better at it. He IS in the Hall of Fame.

Gibbs is not Parcells. It would be ridiculous to ask him to become so now.

Can we sticky this thread? This is the ****ing funniest thing I've read on here in a long time.

Here's what I picture:

Gibbs in a dark film room surrounded by a pentagram. With a dark black robe on. With his trademark "R" hat and glasses. Each player is summoned by one of the assistants. Probably Bugel because he's kind of cool enough to be a sidekick. He walks into Randle El's locker.

"He's ready.."

He leads Randle El into the room. Gibbs is muttering in Latin. Randle El gets on one knee and Gibbs says "Do you understand why you're here?"... "Yes master" ... "Do you understand the MISSION" ... "Yes master" ... Gibbs sticks his hand out "Respect the Ring." And Randle El kisses it. Then Gibbs places his hand on his head and Randle El faints.

and shortly after everyone breaks into son.......

Who controls the British crown?

Who keeps the metric system down?

We do! We do!

Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?

Who keeps the martians under wraps?

We do! We do!

Who holds back the electric car?

Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?

We do! We do!

Who robs the cave fish of their sight?

Who rigs every Oscars night?

We do! We do!

followed by the ritual of the Unblinking Eye.

and shortly after everyone breaks into son.......

Who controls the British crown?

Who keeps the metric system down?

We do! We do!

Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?

Who keeps the martians under wraps?

We do! We do!

Who holds back the electric car?

Who makes Steve Guttenberg a star?

We do! We do!

Who robs the cave fish of their sight?

Who rigs every Oscars night?

We do! We do!

followed by the ritual of the Unblinking Eye.

...then concluded by the Padding of the Swollen Ass.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I contend that if Joe Gibbs had made the players respect the rings, particularly the new free agents coming into Redskins Park...things would be different this season if he had run a more disciplined and rigorous camp.

At the very least your threads are different.

In a time of redundency of ES threads I find this refreshing.

Keep um coming.

If you can't hack what I have to say, ignore me. But don't question my loyalty to the Skins boy, they are fighting words. Don't try and bait me either, its not going to work.

I just think we need to train harder, and we need more respect from the get go for the coaches of the team, so we never have any future occurances of the problems we had with Lavar and ST getting with the program.

Get'em, Riggo...get'em! I'm taking all bets...I got my money on Riggo!

• 8 months later...

Archived