Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Please explain this fasion statement to me

NASMTrainer

my personal favorite is the guys walking around with pants on, but one leg is rolled up, i have been dying to have this one explained

It used to be the sign of a drug dealer, like a pair of shoes thrown up on the power line.

Now it's just played out, but if you're wearing pants in the summer, at least one leg would be cool.

So, I'm driving north on 13 out of Salisbury today and I see this guy walking along the side of the road. He's has on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt with the sleves cut out, long hair and a FREAKING beanie on. I mean, it was 91 at the time. This can not be comfortable. I put a baseball cap on in 91 degrees and I'm sweating like a mother. Please explain this to me.

same reason people wear ties

So what did you guys call them??? I grew up calling them beanies or skull caps...:whoknows:

this is funny.....this was an on-going debate with my college roommates. it varied depended on where you were from.

we called them toboggans (yes, i know that's a sled, the "woolie" or "skull cap" crowd reminded me of that millions of times.)

same reason people wear ties

That made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

that is usually a drug thing... left leg up you're buying right leg up you're selling

Not always...I think that is a myth, actually. Its an LL Cool J thing, and has nothing to do with drugs.

this is funny.....this was an on-going debate with my college roommates. it varied depended on where you were from.

we called them toboggans (yes, i know that's a sled, the "woolie" or "skull cap" crowd reminded me of that millions of times.)

Toboggans??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: WTF???

Its widely considered as professional attire. Thats why.

Correct. However I still argue that it's stupid. A dumb piece of over priced material that gets in the way and is a major pain in the ass to deal with in the morning makes no sense at all.

Its widely considered as professional attire. Thats why.

My favorite fashion is wearing sandals/flip-flops with socks or with jeans on. Totally goofy.

Someone somewhere decided that it looked cool, and people started to wear it to look also cool (or the equivalent of). It has no useful purpose, like Destino said, try and figure out fashion, it just depends on the POV.

They are fundamentally the same.

Someone somewhere decided that it looked cool, and people started to wear it to look also cool (or the equivalent of). It has no useful purpose, like Destino said, try and figure out fashion, it just depends on the POV.

No, not really....formal neckware has been around for a long time....beanies in the summertime are relatively new. One is socially accepted and ingrained into society, one is not.

So what did you guys call them??? I grew up calling them beanies or skull caps...:whoknows:

I grew up in western MD and we called them beanies too. I never knew it was called anything different until I attended a Skins game 2 years ago.

I take my Dad to a 4pm game in Oct. First thing I wanted to do is get a beer. Second thing I wanted to do is buy a Skins beanie cause I know that when the sun goes down it's gonna get too cold for my hawaii blood.

So I walk up to the stand and there are 2 really cute girls, a 90lb little white punk with his hat twisted to the side and a mid 30's black lady doing some paperwork.

So I tell the Seth Green clone, let me check out one of those Skins beanies.

Blank stare from this kid.

So I look at one of the girls and repeat myself.

They tell me they don't know what I'm talking about.

By this point my 8mm long anger fuse is getting periously close to me snatching Eminem over the counter and snapping his chicken neck.

But right before I go Bruce Lee the manager lady looks up laughing and says hold on brother I know what your saying. She walks over smiling and gives me some dap over the counter.

6. dap

A form of greeting in which two people slap and grasp hands briefly. Similar to a high five, except dap is given chest high.

She sells me the beanie, looks at the kids and says, ****ing rookies. Then we both cracked up and homeboy looked all mad that we we're clowning on him.

Then I drank about 26 beers and watched the Skins lose to the Bengals. :mad:

A couple of hundred years ago people only changed their shirt once a week (sometimes less). To prevent too many stains from getting on the shirt, the neck cravat was invented. As wealthy people began to change their shirts everyday, the neck cravat was no longer needed as a bib but became a mark of aristocracy, was narrowed and became a decoration. In America, since we have what is called a 'natural aristocracy' (read businessmen), the 'tie' became the mark of that class.

A couple of hundred years ago people only changed their shirt once a week (sometimes less). To prevent too many stains from getting on the shirt, the neck cravat was invented. As wealthy people began to change their shirts everyday, the neck cravat was no longer needed as a bib but became a mark of aristocracy, was narrowed and became a decoration. In America, since we have what is called a 'natural aristocracy' (read businessmen), the 'tie' became the mark of that class.

how did a bib become a sign of aristocracy, you would think only the poor would keep on using the bib. Did poor people just use different types of shirts?

Archived