Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ironic Cliches/Popular Sayings

iheartskins

As I'm grinding away in billable hour 11, the thought occured to me how ironic and/or inane some popular sayings are.

For example, take "Indian Giver." Whoever came up with that has an excellent taste for irony. I like calling people "Native American Giver" to make it politically correct. :)

Or consider "When push comes to shove," what does that even mean? When you push someone, is it really substantively different than a shove?

Some of them I can understand, like "kick the bucket" or "burning the midnight oil." Ok, I get it, you died or you're working late, but other ones, just don't make any sense.

My dad has literally hundreds (if not thousands) of these with which he constantly peppers his speech. I'd be curious if any of you have additional examples. Scratch that, I'm *sure* you have examples as these saying have thoroughly infected our culture. Post them in this thread, if you're interested.

And for G-d sakes, please keep this on topic. For once. Thanks in advance. :)

the long and short of it

That one I understand--you're basically referencing the materially important parts of the story.

had to go around hogans barn.

a stitch in time saves nine

Ok, you got me Bob. I've never heard either one of these. Hogan's barn? What is that even?

Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other

Another one that makes sense--equal parts on both sides.

Do you guys have any more ironic ones?

The term you're looking for is "idiom". ;)

I've always liked "hoist with his own petard".

I'm not really looking exclusively for idioms, as I'm also looking for cliched analogies and similies like "it's colder than a witches' tit."

Explain the entomology of a phrase like that? Was there some kind of NIH study examining the temperature of enchanted nipples? Am I right in assuming that they were particularly cold? I just don't get it.

Ok, you got me Bob. I've never heard either one of these. Hogan's barn? What is that even?

Here's how you would use the hogans barn one.

If somebody gave you directions and it was a complicated path that was 5 miles. The later you found a way to get there in 3 miles with no turns. You would tell someone that he sent you around hogans barn to get there the first time.

My parents are from the hills of VA (appalachia) I should be able to come up with some good ones if I can remember them.

red sky at night sailors delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning

crooked as a dogs hind leg

he's a brick short of a load

his elevator doesn't go to the top floor

straighten up and fly right

"A stitch in time saves nine" is another way of saying that "an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure". If you stitch up the rip when it starts, you don't have to do it later when the rip has become much bigger. It's better to address a problem early than to let it fester.

Phrase I once read in an Analog magazine:

Many popular phrases have come, over time, to have different meanings from those originally intended.

For example, the phrase "curiosity killed the cat" originally meant "I wonder what would happen to the cat if I . . "

-----

My dad has told me that when he was in college, a "jock" wasn't a college athelete. The term, back then, referred to the boosters. (Because they were athletic supporters.)

"it's colder than a witches' tit."

witches were believed to have a third nipple that was a gateway to the infernal places that all of their infernal magics were unleashed from. It was reportedly colder than anything on the planet.

appearantly the reason I thought it was that way was wrong, I double checked cause after I thought about it I had no way to justify my definition.

I found this http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/1/messages/2433.html

+++++

But there's some history behind this wisecrack. A witch's tit (or witch's teat, to use the older spelling) supposedly left a marking

that witch hunters and courts would look for on the body of an accused person. Supposedly, witches would suckle their

familiars, and sometimes the Devil himself, from this "unholy" body part. To find these marks, as well as insensitive spots on the

skin called devil's marks--caused by the Devil's claws or teeth--the suspects were stripped, shaven, then closely examined for

any blemishes, moles, or even scars that could be labeled as diabolical. To find marks invisible to the eye, the examiner would

poke the victim inch by inch with a blunt needle (called a bodkin) until they found a spot that didn't feel pain or bled. Discovery

of these marks or spots--one supposes they would be considered cold since they were a sign of communion with the

Devil--would be "proof" of the person's dealings with Scratch, so they would be shown in full court before the execution.

+++++

Re: Indian Giver:

Growing up, I'd always thought that was because somebody was claiming that Indians would give people things, then take them back.

(That was back when Indians, to me, were people on TV with feathers and paing who said "ugh" a lot. Among other things, before I found out that I am one.)

Now, I'm convinced that it references the way the US would give things to the Indians, and then take them back.

-----

I've also, myself, wondered if the noun "luggage" comes from "that which is lugged".

Here's a good one.

Your name is mud

This idiom means 'you are not popular'. While escaping after shooting President Lincoln, John Wilkes Booth broke his leg. The doctor that gave him medical attention was Dr. Samuel Mudd. At the time, Mudd had no idea that Booth had committed the murder. Dr. Mudd was unfairly convicted of being a conspirator to Booth.

Archived