Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Draft Day conversation: Talk about the REDSKINS draft here.

Art

Based on this chart ( http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html ) here are the values:

Pick #35 - 550 points

Pick #53 - 370 points

Pick #189 - 15.8 points

That leaves the trade approx. 165 points short. 165 points in this years draft equals the 85th pick.

I would think a third rounder (85th) this year equals a 2nd rounder next year. Just based on the numbers this is logical.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I read somehwere that a pick in next years draft is worth a round less than a pick this year. So, next years 2nd is worth a third this year.

Gibbs lied.

He said we were going for BPA...but ignore Lendale White, Chad Jackons, Winston Justice, and Chad Jackson.

Well, Vinny did say we were almost in the position to do that. I don't have the exact quote, but it's on skinstv. I do believe that they kinda led the fans to believe that. Hopefully Rocky will actually turn out to be the best player available.

Gibbs lied.

He said we were going for BPA...but ignore Lendale White, Chad Jackons, Winston Justice, and Chad Jackson.

Lendale Whte: RB is arguably the strongest position for us.

Chad Jackons: Don't you mean Chad Jackoff?

Winston Justice: LB more of a need.

Chad Jackson: How many receivers do you want?

Jesus, you people need to ctfo. A 6-spot is almost worthless. The possible utility of a 6th--let's say, the graded average of the 10 best 6th round draft picks in our franchise's history multiplied by the statistical likelihood that we would find a legitimate keeper--is extremely low. As far as giving up a 2nd next year? We are a playoff team maneuvering for a championship run. We had the 21st pick of each round this year, and in the offseason, we indisputably improved our talent level. The way our front office sees it, our picks next year (should things go reasonably according to plan) will be even lower per round. So we basically traded our late 2nd rounder and an anticipated even-later 2nd rounder next year, for a watershed 1st round pick this year, to get the coveted player at a need position that we wanted all along.

Does that sound about right? I dunno, call me silly, but that doesn't sound like shabby reasoning.

While I guess I can't really knock the pick of McIntosh, it's a little bit of a head scratcher that we would move up that far to get him. I was absolutely certain we were going to take Winston Justice or Jimmy Williams and if not them then Thomas Howard. I keep forgetting trade value is no object when it comes to Gibbs getting his man.

I agree NorthEast Skin. I just posted on the other thread. I think we got better value than the Patriots. I used the Dallas Chart from ESPN. Here's the cut and paste of my post:

Looking at the draft chart the Skins may have gotten better value than what the Pats' gave up.

Jets' pick #35 = 550 points

Skins picks #53 = 370, #189 = 16.8

Difference in 2006 value = 161 points. 3rd round #86 overall = 160

Based on this trade, the value of next year's 2nd round pick is roughly equal to the #86 pick this year (two spots down from the #84 pick we gave SF)

Packers #36 = 540

Patriots #52= 380, #75 = 215 Total of 595

Patriots lost 55 points in value.

It's amazing that the media will continue to say we overpaid and the Patriots made a good move. They are just lazy since I know they have more access to information than we do. If they want to critique the pick that is fine but the numbers do not lie, this was a very logical trade from a "pick/value" perspective.

Time will tell on whether Rocky excels but I trust the man with the three rings!

Since we seem to like proven players, why didn't we make it a priority to sign a free agent linebacker if the position is such a huge need? Why give away the farm.
Give away the farm? :laugh: You mean a 2nd rounder next year to move up 18 spots?

Maybe there wasn't a FA LB we wanted.... Giving away the farm would've been signing Jullian Paterson to a monster deal.

Boss Hogg i'm not speaking of portis i'm saying champ had great value too! cerato should have not gave a 2nd rder denver would have made the deal corner was their biggest weakness Portis is great and also they drafted him with a 2nd rd pick take everything into account he wasnt extremly proven then i knew he was great but they should have down played it

The 3rd rounder rumor started because I believe Sportsline STILL hasnt noticed we traded 2 picks, not one, for Brandon Lloyd.

Without knowing anything about this guy before the draft, I have to say, I think this was a brillaint pick. They moved up just in time to get him, and he will compete immidietly for that starting spot. Everyone says this guy is a very good linebacker, very talented, and very smart, his downsides are just his lack of size(ill take another Marshall anyday) and his past injury problems. Provided he doesnt still have injury problems, he will work great.

He is a great special teamer so he will start on teams right away. The one kind of Linebacker that you can get who can start right away is a smart linebacker. The physicaly gifted smart linebackers go at the top of the board(Hawk). The not smart but physicaly gifted LBers may be good down the line, but dont have the smarts to play as a rookie. This guy is of the mold of guys who can play as a rookie. He is very smart, he just lacks a little in the size department. Hes exactly what we need to compete for that job IMO.

Giving up next years second isn that big of a deal to move up from where we were... We were near the end of round 2. We moved up to the begining of it. Next years pick would be worth near the end of round 3. Not that big of a deal, someone should check the draft chart.

Boss Hogg i'm not speaking of portis i'm saying champ had great value too! cerato should have not gave a 2nd rder denver would have made the deal corner was their biggest weakness Portis is great and also they drafted him with a 2nd rd pick take everything into account he wasnt extremly proven then i knew he was great but they should have down played it

He did run for 1500 yards each of his first two seasons, right? And I'm sure that if they could have made the deal for a 4th or a 5th, they would have done it. See, they do these funny things called "negotiations" prior to trading. What happens is, one team makes an offer, the other team makes a counteroffer and then they work it out until a deal is made.

Archived