Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Draft Day conversation: Talk about the REDSKINS draft here.

Art

What does us drafting a linebacker have to do with Jason Campbell?

We gave up three draft picks to move up and draft who? What it shows that the move to get Campbell was not as much a sign of some great confidence in him on the part of the staff, but rather an extremely loose willingness to give away draft picks.

We gave up three draft picks to move up and draft who? What it shows that the move to get Campbell was not as much a sign of some great confidence in him on the part of the staff, but rather an extremely loose willingness to give away draft picks.

Or maybe its a sign that we have confidence in both players? I have no problem with giving up draft picks if our coachs feel like we need him.

Or maybe its a sign that we have confidence in both players? I have no problem with giving up draft picks if our coachs feel like we need him.

What it shows is that they are as willing to overpay in draft picks for a player as they are to overpay in money.

This is fallacy. In both cases the coaching staff saw players they loved and did what was necessary to get them. I really dont understand how you came to this conclusion.

This is fallacy. In both cases the coaching staff saw players they loved and did what was necessary to get them. I really dont understand how you came to this conclusion.

The value of a draft pick to the Redskins is nowhere near the value of a draft pick to other teams, so they throw them away to get what they want, even if they overpay in the process.

The value of a draft pick to the Redskins is nowhere near the value of a draft pick to other teams, so they throw them away to get what they want, even if they overpay in the process.

Go find the draft pick value chart & read through it.

Actually that's pretty ignorant. The Skins have basically mastered the cap and the ability to navigate free agency to fill needs so they can be more aggressive targeting draft prospects (i.e. giving up multiple picks for players) who fit perfectly.

They traded picks for the following players - all being key contributors except for the QB of the future: Brunell, Portis, Cooley, Campbell. Jury is out on Llyod and McIntosh. Who has failed so far?

All pick for pick trades worked out in the Skins favor on the value charts. All veterans contributed. Really sounds like "throwing away" picks. :doh: :rolleyes:

Go find the draft pick value chart & read through it.

I completely agree. I really dont think you understand how the picks are valued AJ_Skins. We actually came out ahead on the trade to get Rocky McIntosh in terms of points. the FO is playing the game as it is meant to be played.

This is what I say LEON WILLIAMS 2 backers from the U rocky mcintosh with leon for the middle potentially anyone know when lemar is in a contract year? betts is next year i'd resign him good rb and spec team player to have---Lemar could be an issue financially hopefully not hes a good guy to have brunell should continue to restructure so he can retire a skin and a backup to campbell when the transition's made Buffalo took youbouty another clements? dallas and philly arent scary the giants panthers could cause problems but i feel we are the best in the nfc if rocky can play up to his potential! we are solid everywhere else I still would have added youbouty i really liked him and we have a 1st next year to fill a need we are young at the skill positions which is huge if the guys like lloyd and randle-el do what they should---personally they will---and taylor thing works out HEY SEAN TAYLOR IF YOU READ THIS GROW UP DONT THROW AWAY YOUR FUTURE DROP THE GUYS GETTING YOU IN TROUBLE AND STAY OUT OF THOSE AREAS! YOU ARE IMPORTANT TO THE TEAM YOUR FAMILY AND US FANS MOST OF ALL YOURSELF! we are a little old with springs and behind are starters and maybe jennings? if a starter gets seriously injured it could be a huge problem we need another corner d-line is very good could have been better if abraham was added--i was disappointed i wanted carter too! i would have let renaldo go and moved daniels to DT joe-s backup DT and we have backup DE's also daniels could have played de while joe s played dt giving carter a rest or abraham if we got him We are VERY STRONG next 2 yrs schedules favor us too! i would've traded next yrs 1st to add the rookie this year for training and chemistry factor so our soft schedule years we be even better and this year we'd have even more depth! Hail DAN SNYDER THANK YOU FOR SPENDING FOR THE GREATEST COACHING STAFF KEEPIN GREG W OF COURSE HC GIBBS AND WELCOME TO AL ALSO THANKS FOR GETTING THE GUYS WE NEEDED IN FA AS YOU ALWAYS DO YOU TRUELY ARE THE BEST FOOTBALL OWNER THANKS AGAIN!

I just got home, honestly don't feel like reading this entire thread to see if this has been discussed....but the first thing I would do tomorrow morning when the draft starts is find a way to trade up and pick Max Jean Giles to add depth to the O-Line. Maybe also find a way to draft Orien Harris as well. One of the 2 would equal a successful draft considering what little picks we had to work with.

Lavar jersey thing is great i'm pissed at him he's money driven and selfish! all he wanted was another huge contract with guaranteed money hey lavar look at what we gave you that huge contract so you got hurt its football! and so what if you were benched and were asked to play the system and practice hard! you were probably the most talented LB in the league adn for that matter the most disappointing i was a fan of yours at penn st and was so happy you were a skin now i'm upset with you will miss your exciting play but i think the team as a whole is better off without you so as gibbs did i wish you well i guess but hope you suck againist us!

This is what I say LEON WILLIAMS 2 backers from the U rocky mcintosh with leon for the middle potentially anyone know when lemar is in a contract year? betts is next year i'd resign him good rb and spec team player to have---Lemar could be an issue financially hopefully not hes a good guy to have brunell should continue to restructure so he can retire a skin and a backup to campbell when the transition's made Buffalo took youbouty another clements? dallas and philly arent scary the giants panthers could cause problems but i feel we are the best in the nfc if rocky can play up to his potential! we are solid everywhere else I still would have added youbouty i really liked him and we have a 1st next year to fill a need we are young at the skill positions which is huge if the guys like lloyd and randle-el do what they should---personally they will---and taylor thing works out HEY SEAN TAYLOR IF YOU READ THIS GROW UP DONT THROW AWAY YOUR FUTURE DROP THE GUYS GETTING YOU IN TROUBLE AND STAY OUT OF THOSE AREAS! YOU ARE IMPORTANT TO THE TEAM YOUR FAMILY AND US FANS MOST OF ALL YOURSELF! we are a little old with springs and behind are starters and maybe jennings? if a starter gets seriously injured it could be a huge problem we need another corner d-line is very good could have been better if abraham was added--i was disappointed i wanted carter too! i would have let renaldo go and moved daniels to DT joe-s backup DT and we have backup DE's also daniels could have played de while joe s played dt giving carter a rest or abraham if we got him We are VERY STRONG next 2 yrs schedules favor us too! i would've traded next yrs 1st to add the rookie this year for training and chemistry factor so our soft schedule years we be even better and this year we'd have even more depth! Hail DAN SNYDER THANK YOU FOR SPENDING FOR THE GREATEST COACHING STAFF KEEPIN GREG W OF COURSE HC GIBBS AND WELCOME TO AL ALSO THANKS FOR GETTING THE GUYS WE NEEDED IN FA AS YOU ALWAYS DO YOU TRUELY ARE THE BEST FOOTBALL OWNER THANKS AGAIN!

Drinking while posting is baaaaaaaaaaaad.

aj, i completely agree with you. even if rocky and jason campbell are the best players fit for our system, i'm sure we could have drafted them without throwing away so many picks.

most of the people disagreeing with you are in the same mentality as the Redskin organization is and its so frustrating. checking the board to see if points add up doesnt justify common sense. simply put, i'm sure its very possible to draft jason campbell and rocky mcintosh while trading picks fair enough to get to them. its like the redskins are giving away extra picks as a thank you present for doing business with them. weird.

i'm not bashing gibbs' crew's picks. the redskins are one of the top teams finding skilled players in drafts. so just think what they could do without going into every draft without missing a first rounder here, and a 3rd rounder here etc.

....dude....I hope you don't work in the communications industry, or you're gonna get canned before you can say "i would've traded next yrs 1st to add the rookie this year for training and chemistry factor so our soft schedule years we be even better and this year we'd have even more depth!"

What it shows is that they are as willing to overpay in draft picks for a player as they are to overpay in money.

What it SHOWS is the Redskins KNOW who they want and what holes to fill it with while your approach is to sit on your butt and just take whatever shows up at some random time in the draft.

The GOAL is to make your team better...not just pick from whoever is around when your assigned draft position arrives.

somebody please help me here, why am i the only one who sees how lackluster our drafting skills have become. whatever happened to rebuilding through the draft, or patience is a virtue. this is ridiculous.

i'm young, but the first real screwup i can remember is trent green. i went to this game at rfk against the cardinals, i was about 12, redskins we're losing 35-7? at half. trent green organizes an amazing comeback to lose 42-45 in the last minute. so alright, we've found our quarterback, no more gus, no more heath, quality trent green. no. organization throws him away, great move guys. trent was definitely a washup.

we decide not to bring in a quality quarterback after that until brad johnson, first guy to lead us to the playoffs since the joe gibbs era, great, we've found our quarterback. no, dan snyder likes jeff george better, bye bye brad.

okay, i'm rambling about stupid mistakes in the past, but things are different now, gibbs is back, theres focus, and promise, right?

last year, gibbs lies to ramsey about startin position, always wanted brunell in there, stevie wonder could have seen that coming, but getting jason campbell, what the heck was that about? we traded this years first round, a 3rd round, and a fourth round pick to get a late first round. denver owns us in trades.

as mad as i was last year that we wasted so many picks on an unproven auburn fellow, by this years draft i was over it. i said, alright, i can survive no first round pick on draft day. fine. we have lots of picks later, could be fun, gibbs drafts well. and he wants the best player available, i trust him.

so we run lavar out of town to the point he'll pay us to leave, thats nice of us, and he decides to go to new york with a vendetta on his mind, makes those division matchups even nicer. but to replace him, according to espn, we traded our 53rd pick, some 6th rounder, and next years 2nd rounder. all to move up 20 spots??!?!? come on. if the organization wanted a quality linebacker, they shouldnt have made lavar leave. instead, they force the best linebacker in the league out along with 2007's 2nd round pick and two picks this year for the 5th/6th/7th best overall linebacker?!? i hope youre worth it rocky.

the players gibbs draft are always quality, however, we get bullied in these trades to the point where its sickening. that fact that scrolled across espn "redskins have had the least amount of drafts in the NFL since 2000" is no coincidence. we have no patience, let trent go, let brad go, let smoot let lavar go, let our picks go. you know if you and your buddies ran this organization, we could be so much better right now, i have faith, but the faith just makes this decisions so much harder to endure...

p.s. someone pleeeeease give me justification for the madness

Uh....what was our record this year....Oh, yeah...10-6.

Did we make the playoffs for the first time in six(?) years? Uh....yeah...I think we did.

Uh did we fill virtually every hole we had in free agency? Uh....yeah, we did.

Uh, did we fill our last remaining hole in the draft? Uh, yeah, we did.

So your complaint is what?

Try looking at what has happened over the past two years instead of looking at what happened in the distant past or about things that had no effect (e.g. Smoot and LaVar). Results count. So what if you do it from free agency instead of the draft? So what if you throw in a 2nd day draft choice that 90 percent of the time is camp fodder and NOT a player that makes the squad? So what if you trade a draft choice NEXT YEAR to get the team to the Super Bowl THIS YEAR?

People need to focus on the TOTAL PICTURE and not individual transactions. Just because you (or any other fan) thinks a trade is unfair doesn't make it so)

Gibbs had holes to fill after a very successful year....he went out and filled those holes.....so again....what is your complaint? Would you rather have more "fair" trades and a crappy team? Or perhaps hold onto draft choices and get stuck with whoever happens to be around instead of filling a critical need with one of the top linebackers in the draft like some others have suggested.

Trust in Joe....he has a plan and knows what he is doing....he has THREE Super Bowl Trophies to prove it....something none of the wannabees on this website have.

By the way, the Skins had a great draft day...

1st Pick -- Jason Campbell

2nd Pick -- Rocky McIntosh

3rd Pick -- Brandon Lloyd

THAT first day stacks up just fine against any other team today. :applause:

Uh....what was our record this year....Oh, yeah...10-6.

Did we make the playoffs for the first time in six(?) years? Uh....yeah...I think we did.

Uh did we fill virtually every hole we had in free agency? Uh....yeah, we did.

Uh, did we fill our last remaining hole in the draft? Uh, yeah, we did.

So your complaint is what?

Try looking at what has happened over the past two years instead of looking at what happened in the distant past or about things that had no effect (e.g. Smoot and LaVar). Results count. So what if you do it from free agency instead of the draft? So what if you throw in a 2nd day draft choice that 90 percent of the time is camp fodder and NOT a player that makes the squad? So what if you trade a draft choice NEXT YEAR to get the team to the Super Bowl THIS YEAR?

People need to focus on the TOTAL PICTURE and not individual transactions. Just because you (or any other fan) thinks a trade is unfair doesn't make it so)

Gibbs had holes to fill after a very successful year....he went out and filled those holes.....so again....what is your complaint? Would you rather have more "fair" trades and a crappy team? Or perhaps hold onto draft choices and get stuck with whoever happens to be around instead of filling a critical need with one of the top linebackers in the draft like some others have suggested.

Trust in Joe....he has a plan and knows what he is doing....he has THREE Super Bowl Trophies to prove it....something none of the wannabees on this website have.

By the way, the Skins had a great draft day...

1st Pick -- Jason Campbell

2nd Pick -- Rocky McIntosh

3rd Pick -- Brandon Lloyd

THAT first day stacks up just fine against any other team today. :applause:

i completely agree with you lavar, i do, we're all redskin fans here, in retrospect, i am complaining about nothing, and we are finally good, and i dont have any superbowl rings and joe gibbs does has 3 more than me right now but heres the thing, do you know how much better we SHOULD be right now? honestly, if gibbs doesn't mess around with quarterback controversy for 2 years, or bring in a real offensive coordinator when he came in, we woulda been your wonderful record of 10-6 2 years ago. the best move he has done is bringing in al saunders to call the plays and i commend him big time for that. just one game, all they had to do was stop calling that santana moss screen, but instead make him fake the screen, corner bites, and make him go deep, so many times it coulda worked, never done.

i do feel we'll make the super bowl in the next two years, but if you can fix the missed opportunities here and there, we could be a dynasty, not a one year and done.

as you said, you care about winning the super bowl THIS YEAR, well once THIS YEAR passes you by, and a quarter of the team leaves, you look to the draft to fill those voids, thats when you'll start caring about havin no draft picks, you gotta be thinkin two steps ahead, not in the moment. thats how dynasties are made bro. hail to them skins

I would like to see the skins trade up to get a few picks early tomorrow. I think they need to add depth to the corner position and offensive line. Darnell Bing is an intriguing pick and so is Gilles. I would also like to see Baylor's safety Willie Andrews in a skins jersey next year. He can play corner or safety and seems to fit the team's focus, and getting to play in Greg Williams defense would really improve him.

Question, :gaintsuck

With uncertainty of kicker Hall, are we considering selecting a kicker as one of our early late round picks, especially since there are only three kickers listed on NFL.com (the guy named Stephen Gostkowski ) is at the top and has kicker type name. What do you think?

Archived