Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Draft Day conversation: Talk about the REDSKINS draft here.

Art

Boss Hogg i'm not speaking of portis i'm saying champ had great value too! cerato should have not gave a 2nd rder denver would have made the deal corner was their biggest weakness Portis is great and also they drafted him with a 2nd rd pick take everything into account he wasnt extremly proven then i knew he was great but they should have down played it
Champ wanted to leave and made it public. Kinda makes it difficult to get fair value in a trade.

I keep hearing past injuries mentioned, I found...

2003: Suffered a knee sprain during August camp, missing the season opener vs. Louisiana Tech.

2004: A shoulder sprain forced McIntosh to sit out the Wake Forest (11/13) game and the Peach Bowl vs. Florida.

2005: Limited during spring drills by lower back spasms.

Doesn't look to fragile to me, am I missing something?

Rocky McIntosh..... anyone see the change in organizational philosophy? They've moved out Arrington and a huge cap number and they're bringing in smaller guys who can run but that cost WAY less... the emphasis now is up front and in the backfield - the cap numbers say so. You can find a LeMar Marshall or a Rocky McIntosh and the cap hit isn't catastrophic.... games are won or lost up front... Cornelius Griffin and Joe Salavea are the bread and butter of this defense - all starts there.... a far more intelligent way to go about it...

Gibbs says he was targeted and they thinks he can play 3 lb positions and play all 3 downs

I'm remembering the Doonsberry in which it's announced that their star player, Lava-lava Lenny, has gone pro.

BD: Darn! He was the best front four we've ever had.

Zonker: Five! He was up to five!

This thread is where you should talk about the Redskins draft. Make your guesses here, talk about the pick here, say we should have taken someone else here. When the pick is defined, some smart member will create a, "Everything you need to know about X" thread and put all draft profiles of the guy into that thread and you can talk about him there too.

Please do not branch off 100 different, "I hate this pick," "Cerrato sucks," "This is great," "Wow, I'm impressed," threads after the pick. We expect there will be four or five legitimate conversations that may spawn from today's draft. If we start getting 30, we will be sad and weeping mods are a pathetic thing to behold :).

who will be next to draft or will we trade again

Gibbs lied.

He said we were going for BPA...but ignore Lendale White, Chad Jackons, Winston Justice, and Chad Jackson.

Hey, it's OK to say things like that about our President, but if you want to say that about Joe Gibbs you'd better bring some more to the table.

:)

I like the choice of a linebacker, but what about the lack of depth at cornerback? I think that a DB would have been a better fit for this team, especially with all the good recievers in our division. Dallas has Owens and Glenn, New York has Toomer, Burress, and now Sinorice Moss, i don't see how our undersized corners are going to be able to slow down and stop those guys.

I like the choice of a linebacker, but what about the lack of depth at cornerback? I think that a DB would have been a better fit for this team, especially with all the good recievers in our division. Dallas has Owens and Glenn, New York has Toomer, Burress, and now Sinorice Moss, i don't see how our undersized corners are going to be able to slow down and stop those guys.

We will take a Corner with teh 5th rounder i think. That will give us a good enough guy to turn into a 4th corner and develope into a Nickle back for the future...

Our undersized corners? We don't have a single CB on the roster under 5-11.

Strengths

Roger has good size and an excellent burst to the ball. He is a very good tackler, takes advantageous angles and is smart. He shows very good ability in coverage as well as strong leadership skills. He has played all three LB positions and has done a good job at all of them. Roger will be an excellent LB at the next level for the team that drafts him.

Needs to Improve

First, Roger needs to stay healthy to impact at the next level. Then, he has to settle on one position. He has been moved around so much that he hasn't been able to show what he can really do if they had just left him at one position.

Bottom Line

Some scouts are suggesting that Roger is a MLB, but I think that he's had enough injuries and really would impact as a WLB. At this position, he could really showcase his speed, quickness and cover abilities as well as freelance a little more than you can at the middle or strong side LB positions. He just needs to stay healthy, get repetitions at one position and he'll impact as much as any LB in this draft. I like this kid's leadership skills and his ability to make impact plays, but at the college level, he's been moved around so much it was hard to get a fix on him. I have to say that moving him around has matured him on the field and made him better for the next level. As soon as he stays at one position, I think you will see him settle down and become an outstanding LB. This kid is going to be one of the steals of this draft. He has first day talent, but I think it has been hidden because of injuries and all the position changes over the years.

Here is the ESPN Insider info on Rocky... and yes I pay for that.. :laugh: I like all the Fantasy Football info :silly:

Rocky McIntosh

OLB | (6'2", 237, 4.63) | MIAMI (FLA.)

Scouts Grade: 86 Selected by: Washington Redskins

Round: 2

Pick (Overall): 3(35)

Strengths: A physically gifted and versatile LB prospect that peaked as a senior. Possesses a very good combination of height, weight and speed. Has adequate bulk and room left on his frame to get bigger. Has long arms, a wide wingspan and impressive agility for his size. Also has very good straight-line speed for his size. Is at his best working in space versus the run. Does a good job of slipping blocks and pursuing. He is a sideline-to-sideline run supporter who also makes a lot of plays in the backfield. Shows very good initial quickness and closing burst. He is a solid wrap-up tackler in space. Shows good speed and closing burst as a pass rusher. If he can improve his pass rush moves he can be an impact pass rusher in the NFL. He has upside in coverage because of his wingspan and speed. He has a great work ethic and is an intense player. Excellent production and experience on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal overall strength and plays with too narrow of a base. Does not show explosive upper-body power, either. He does not like to take on blocks and will occasionally take himself out of position by running around blockers. Takes too long to disengage and must improve his hand usage. Still has room to improve in terms of his recognition skills in coverage. Better in man-to-man than he is in zone coverage. Has had some durability issues in the past. Knee in 2003 (missed opener vs. La. Tech) and shoulder in spring of 2004.

Overall: McIntosh redshirted in 2001 and was a part-time starter the next two seasons (2002-'03) before taking over as the team's starting SLB during his junior season in 2004. McIntosh finished second on the team with 111 total tackles as a junior. He also has 13 tackles for loss, four sacks and three passes broken up. McIntosh started all 12 games as a senior in 2005 and finished with 89 tackles (team-high), 10 TFL, 5.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries and on forced fumble. McIntosh is a versatile prospect with experience at all three linebacker positions. He was bothered by a lingering shoulder injury in 2004 but still had a productive season and he continued to make positive strides as a senior in 2005. McIntosh still has room to improve in terms of his upper-body strength and ability to take on and disengage from blockers. However, McIntosh has the physical tools to develop into a solid starter in the NFL. He played more SLB than any other LB position in college but he has the frame, athletic ability and speed to play any or all three spots in the NFL, and we think his best fit will be at the WLB position. He also played a great deal on special teams while at Miami and shows a lot of promise in that facet as a pro. In our opinion, McIntosh warrants second-round consideration as one of the top-10 overall linebacker prospects in the 2006 class.

Some scouts are suggesting that Roger is a MLB, but I think that he's had enough injuries and really would impact as a WLB. At this position, he could really showcase his speed, quickness and cover abilities as well as freelance a little more than you can at the middle or strong side LB positions.

ESPN agrees with you:

"McIntosh has the physical tools to develop into a solid starter in the NFL. He played more SLB than any other LB position in college but he has the frame, athletic ability and speed to play any or all three spots in the NFL, and we think his best fit will be at the WLB position. He also played a great deal on special teams while at Miami and shows a lot of promise in that facet as a pro."

Hopefully he'll be good enough to win the starting WLB job by opening day and regardless, he will be solid on special teams.

Here is the ESPN Insider info on Rocky... and yes I pay for that.. :laugh: I like all the Fantasy Football info :silly:

...Is at his best working in space versus the run. Does a good job of slipping blocks and pursuing. He is a sideline-to-sideline run supporter who also makes a lot of plays in the backfield....

What a shock - he's the anti-Warrick Holdman. :D

Archived