Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor Prosecution On Life Support - From Pft

thebeast21

TAYLOR PROSECUTION ON LIFE SUPPORT

The lawyers for Redskins safety Sean Taylor have filed a motion to dismiss the felony assault charges pending against their client, based on allegations that the prosecution failed to disclose evidence that Taylor's alleged victims have been arrested for thefts, drug possession, and other crimes since June 2005, when Taylor allegedly pointed a gun at them, after they allegedly stole his ATV.

"Once this kind of information comes to my attention I have an obligation to turn it over," prosecutor Mike Grieco said, "but only once that information comes to my attention. And it was never brought to my attention. Somebody in law enforcement knew, but it's a big county and there are hundreds of arrests every day, and I was unaware of any of this."

Hang on a second, Mike. These subsequent arrests supposedly occurred within Dade County, not North Dakota. How in the world is knowledge of these arrests not imputed to the prosecutor's office in, um, Dade County?

Sure Grieco didn't actually know about it. He didn't want to know about it. And his office doesn't apparently have a system in place to funnel to the prosecutors information regarding arrests and other potentially significant developments involving the alleged victims of crime and other persons of interest.

But it should. Otherwise, guys like Griece could conveniently stick their heads in the sand and then hope that the defense lawyers never find out on their own that the victims have some unsightly warts on their butts.

Think of it this way. If Sean Taylor had been arrested on other charges since June 2005, Grieco's cell phone would have been playing the theme from 21 Jump Street within minutes.

Even if Taylor's lawyers can't secure a dismissal of the felony charges pending against the former Miami Hurricane, the fact that the alleged victims are of apparently questionable character will make it much harder to secure a conviction via the criminal standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. To meet that threshold, the jury must believe that the alleged victims are completely telling the truth and that Taylor is completely lying.

So even if the subsequent arrests ultimately aren't admissible to impeach the credibility of the alleged victims, our guess is that it'll be very difficult to coax a compelling performance out of them on the witness stand.

Hope this hasnt been posted... sound like good new though

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

I wouldn't be surprised if Grieco did know and sat on this knowledge. Too bad that would be nearly impossible to prove.

Well, I think it's safe to say that a plea bargain is in order. While I don't think this case will be dismissed, the prosecutor's witnesses are repeat felons. I don't think their testimony will amount to much. And, since I'm sure Taylor could handle a little probation instead of risking trial, they'll come to some agreement. I guess Taylor will be playing this year......Wait a second, this is PFT, isn't it?

I think he knew too. The trial is a week away, you don't think his office is gearing up to make this its top priority right now. It's a high profile trial and he's going up agianst heavy hitter defense attourneys. I can't imagine that he was ignoring his own witness list. He doesn't just come to the court, click on google when he needs some research, and say "let's get on with it"

How could he not know? Likely the biggest case he's sitting on, and one he's probably preparing on constantly, likely with the "victims," and he just happened to miss these? If he did, it's negligence of gross proportions. I find it hard to believe in a position important as DA with a case this big just happened to miss his primary witnesses getting arrested.

It was http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151425

But the fact that the punk got busted for stealing another atv is just toooooo ironic. :laugh:

I am pretty sure that is a different article. That was from the WP I believe and was talking about how they were GOING to do that. This is another article about them actually doing it and such. It is different.

He knew, but he can just act like he didnt and no one can really prove otherwise at this point. Unless they got someone to come forward but I doubt that is going to happen.

There is another post on WP about the same thing... I doubt it will go to trial now. And even if it makes it to trial, not enough evidence and the new arrests seem to favor Taylor....

Actually part of me does hope it goes to trial...so that Taylor gets cleared of all charges rather then a plea bargain to avoid trial but possibly costs him a minor suspension from the NFL.

I dont see where it says that they stole another ATV.

I saw drugs, and theft, in the other article however. But nothing specific.

"Sharpstein said that the three primary alleged victims have all had recent arrests that the defense uncovered during its own investigation, including one involving a stolen all-terrain vehicle"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/03/AR2006040300666.html

I am pretty sure that is a different article. That was from the WP I believe and was talking about how they were GOING to do that. This is another article about them actually doing it and such. It is different.

He knew, but he can just act like he didnt and no one can really prove otherwise at this point. Unless they got someone to come forward but I doubt that is going to happen.

Didn't mean to pick nits, sorry. And I agree, that sorry sack of knew it full well, or one of his staff will be looking for a new job. Hmmm, that may verifiable. We'll have to see.

For all you people talking about plea bargaining, why the hell would Taylor ever agree to that? If this is so damaging to the prosecutor's case that they would consider offering a plea, then it seems just as likely ST would be found innocent of all charges. I know it's always a roll of the dice, but when was the last time a jury convicted a star athlete or celebrity of anything?

I don't like hearing talk about pleading out. I want to hear "dismissal" or "innocent of all charges". This is the weakest case I have ever heard...

For all you people talking about plea bargaining, why the hell would Taylor ever agree to that? If this is so damaging to the prosecutor's case that they would consider offering a plea, then it seems just as likely ST would be found innocent of all charges. I know it's always a roll of the dice, but when was the last time a jury convicted a star athlete or celebrity of anything?

I don't like hearing talk about pleading out. I want to hear "dismissal" or "innocent of all charges". This is the weakest case I have ever heard...

A plea is just easier though. A trial could take MONTHS and who would want that hanging over their head. It MAY prevent him from playing, but a plea would allow playing time (unless the league suspended him). Who wants Sean Taylor in a court room come September 11th when he could be knocking the hell out of whoever Minnesota has left at WR.

i definitely think he knew about his clients. why would he want to divulge such information?? exactly. he's trying to save his case and now he knows it's over.

unless the jury is full of cowboys fans...:doh:

Or they show a slow motion replay when he spit on that scumbag...he he he

To the legal experts: Since the "victims" in this case are also the prime witnesses against ST, wouldn't the defense have the right to impeach their credibility by asking them about those arrests when they take the witness stand?

Archived