Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New group. You should read :).

Art

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It is a dumb idea and it is even worse because it is enforced arbitrarily and without adequate notice. But BFD, I just created an alternative screen name from my work computer. Who has the last laugh?

Congrats. You've just gotten your entire office banned. :laugh: <----Last laugh. :)

Mods. Can I please change my vote. I voted for this "no new threads". But I think I made a serious error. What about the comedic value of these repetitive posts. I mean, when there are 3 T.J duckett threads on the first page. And someone comes long and starts a thread about Dissecting the trade. Then Iheartskins, or TK, will come along and rip them. I find it really funny, and is my favorite part of this site. The mods are petty damn funny, and if this works, everything will move much smoother, thus a bit boring. I for one will never post a new thread, cause i'll probably get ripped, and it will cease to be funny. Some of the worst repetitive posts, end up with 3000 views and 200 posts. Someone is enjoying them. Doesn't matter anyway. Westbrook36 already gave Art permission to institute this group, making this poll moot.

Well, I'm glad this got bumped. I missed out on the first go around.

Why is this even being proposed? Is it a question of bandwith and server issues or moral judgement?

If too many posts are causing a serious server issue then I would agree.

If it is for ANY other reason I would oppose.

I noticed something after reading all 20 some pages of responses.

1) Most of the people not all that voted "yes" are older members!

2) This was a very intresting response that no MOD or older member on this board cared to respond too.

Instead of "blocking" people that do not behave the way you would like, why not go the other direction???

Create an "Elite Members" forum. It would be similar to the Stadium forum, but would be by invitation only. And membership could be revoked if the specified ground rules were not adhered to. I would LOVE to see this type of forum here for serious fans, so we can have intelligent discourse without having to endure the issues you are concerned with OR the foul personal attacks that some make on our front office, coaching staff, or team members. Criticism is fine, but inane posts, repetitive threads, and personal attacks are so annoying it would be great to have a place to go that is free of all that.

I'm guessing there was no response to this because you realize the conversation would become very redundant and isolated?:whoknows:

Has any of the mods really thought about what makes this a GREAT Site! If so why the consideration for this idea? Why is there a need to do something that WILL affect the participation on this board? What is wrong with the way you are handling things now?

I went to hogs.net I believe and they had a rule like this in place. Guess how many times I have been bacK? ZERO!

There is no such thing as a perfect world and there will never be a perfect message board either! Perfection is a ideal that has never been defined! The mods are very smart on here but I doubt if they will be capable of perfection either and a over zealous attempt at it will lead to the downfall of this board!

Lets talk about rules also. They SUCK! Period! Nobody likes them and as you mods have pointed out you have even broke your own rules on this board to give people another chance. This is one of the things that makes this board what it is! What I am saying is less is more! If it aint broke why fix it?

I vote NO!:peaceout:

There is no such thing as a perfect world and there will never be a perfect message board either! Perfection is a ideal that has never been defined! The mods are very smart on here but I doubt if they will be capable of perfection either and a over zealous attempt at it will lead to the downfall of this board!

I vote NO!:peaceout:

They know there is no such thing as perfection, as they have stated. I think it was nice that they let us give our input, it shows, that they are trying to make the right decision based on how the majority would want it. And the vote shows, that the majority would like this rule. You can't please everyone, but you can please as many as you can. I wanted to vote no as well, but majority rules. Oh and I think they did address the elite posters group question.

Pro - You know you're free to leave & start your own board, right? Let me know when you do so that I can give you my free critique of your work. I won't even offer to help you write your boards rule, as you already claim that no one likes rules. Sounds like a kickass foundation for you to build on. Good luck with it. Again, send me a link when it's up & running. I can't wait to see it so I can critique it.

:peaceout:

They know there is no such thing as perfection, as they have stated. I think it was nice that they let us give our input, it shows, that they are trying to make the right decision based on how the majority would want it. And the vote shows, that the majority would like this rule. You can't please everyone, but you can please as many as you can. I wanted to vote no as well, but majority rules. Oh and I think they did address the elite posters group question.

One of the most profound statements I have heard in my life was "A majority is not always right. It just means all the fools are in agreement."

I'm not taking a shot at anyone but it's a true statement in my opinion.

Pro - You know you're free to leave & start your own board, right? Let me know when you do so that I can give you my free critique of your work. I won't even offer to help you write your boards rule, as you already claim that no one likes rules. Sounds like a kickass foundation for you to build on. Good luck with it. Again, send me a link when it's up & running. I can't wait to see it so I can critique it.

Hey hey hey. Where are you going with that. If you read everything I wrote I said I think what your doing right now is perfect! Sorry I chimed in on this. Later!

I think this is an excellent idea. I personally know from experience that if you mess up a little bit, the swift sword of justice is not as fast as some would make it out to be. I believe that if you overstep the boundaries enough to get punished under these guidelines, you deserve it.

There's been a recent huge boom in active posters, myself being one of them, and I know from my time lurking that page one wasn't this crazy a couple years ago, not even close. As a result of this population increase, the occasion is very rare that someone hasn't already posted what you're about to post. Hell, even in threads that are already posted, I almost always find my exact words two or three times over, and end up just stating that I agree.

Bring on the new group, says I.

Art, it seems to me that you're being a little touchy. Pro's entire thread was full of praise on how things work well here on this site, yet you picked the one dumb dumb statement he made about rules suck and nobody wants to follow them and used that against him in your reply. No offense :D

Maybe he should have offered solutions instead and that was your gripe?

Either way, I think the group is a good idea and I personally like how things are run here which is why I keep coming back. This is the best site out there, period.

Just a thing of note: This is something, by reading through this thread, a lot of the people that are against the 'No New Threads' group are the ones that are classified under that very title. Cowinkydink? ;)

Bingo!

(And don't forget the new board policy where every Tailgate Forum posting earns you a double avatar post count award.)

Art, it seems to me that you're being a little touchy. Pro's entire thread was full of praise on how things work well here on this site, yet you picked the one dumb dumb statement he made about rules suck and nobody wants to follow them and used that against him in your reply. No offense :D

Maybe he should have offered solutions instead and that was your gripe?

Either way, I think the group is a good idea and I personally like how things are run here which is why I keep coming back. This is the best site out there, period.

Did TK and Art morph into some crazy double powered super admin?

I'm new to the board...what is the big problem with the way people are posting?

It is not about posting but about 50,000 members starting the exact same thread over and over. It does get old quick. There has been a few situations where the same topic thread was started by two members at the exact same time and I doubt the mods have an issue with that but when you have 50 threads on how such and such sucks, or this or that it is not only pointless but annoying.

2) This was a very intresting response that no MOD or older member on this board cared to respond too.

I'm guessing there was no response to this because you realize the conversation would become very redundant and isolated?:whoknows:

Actually, it may be because this isn't the first time this issue has been addressed.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121368&highlight=ASF

You may find some answers to other questions there as well.

It's a good idea, but not allowing people with less than 100-250 posts to start threads would solve all ills on this board.

:2cents:

That is a good idea, so that new posters don't make simple mistakes. They would have the chance to get the lay of the land so to speak. Also not a bad idea but a bit laborous(On Labor Day, can you say that?)would be to have a review of thread starts when re-entering the thread starting community. I hope that was not too confusing, but in general it would be alot clearner board with less redundant threads.

Everybody started out as the avatar's you mentioned. How would you feel if you knew you could contribute worthwhile threads, but weren't able to do so because of a few boneheads?

O'Connor was right. Dictatorship in the US, here we come. :D J/K

Then a Mod should be assigned to that group, and the new poster with the "great thread" would contact them and run it by them. This would prevent repitition which I think is the intention of this thread.

-----Quality posts can be made by people with 1 post or a million. Same with bad posts. A simple post count measure is not effective for long time lurkers who post rarely, or bright newbies.

Then a Mod should be assigned to that group, and the new poster with the "great thread" would contact them and run it by them. This would prevent repitition which I think is the intention of this thread.

The point isn't that a thread topic is good or bad per say. It's the point that people just don't look to see if the topic is already on the board. We've also been fairly nice about letting some stuff slide for first time offenders, by not placing them in that group. We've more often merged or closed threads, and have spoken to the member.

The one thing the staff doesn't have the time to do is have thread ideas run by them for approval. The ammount of PM's and mail we get each day is enough to deal with in the off season. Come 9-11, it's going to be off the wall busy for the staff.

I'm not complaining in any way about the job as a mod, but we need to chose carefully how to use our time for site.

Archived