Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Pete Rose be in the HOF?

Cdowwe

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

pleaseblitz, i'm with you.

and i wasn't on this side of the fence for a VERY long time. but after his self-serving book where he backtracked on almost 20 years of lying, not to mention all the proof that he bet on REDS games, i say no.

i say no on bonds, too. and mcgwire. and sosa. they should all be purged from baseball history. this era will go down as the darkest in history of baseball, imo.

If you're going to lump those guys into a no HOF category then most all ball players from this era should be banned as well. Steroids weren't illegal to use at the time so why single out three guys. You think pitchers, outfielders, shortstops, who am I kidding, every position in the game wasn't using steroids? I posted in a different thread about Bonds that Canseco guesstimated that 85% of baseball was either on or had been on steroids at one time or another. Ban three, ban them all. It's simply not right to single out the three guys at the top. Especially since MLB made a killing off these guys and are now turning their backs on them. You think MLB was oblivious to the steroid use? Please.

On a football note, how many Pro Football players are on the cream or the clear? How many used it before there was a test for it? I'd be willing to bet there's probably a big percentage of HOF inductee's that used steroids, probably some of our Redskins. Ban them all damn it! Come on, let's take ourselves out our self righteous bubble for a minute. Most of these guy's "use" to put on a show for the fans. To earn our approval, to put our asses in the seats. These guy's do worse things to their bodies than steroids to get out there game after game to win for us, ban them all!

Just to name a few: Cortisone shots, perscription drugs, pain killers, alcohol all just to put a damn show.

Oh yea, Pete should be in because of his on the field play, not his off the field antics. You think TO isn't getting in the HOF? He's the biggest ass to ever play the game and he'll still get in. On the field, off the field.

Its still cheating. Cheaters shouldnt be in the Hall of Fame.

To say Bonds would be in without the roids is a tough argument to make IMO. Who's to say he'd even be playing past the age of 30-31 without the roids? He didnt even start putting up those big stats until then.

Yeah, but until there is 100% proof that Bonds took 'roids, you can not keep him out. It would be pretty odd to say he doesn't qualify for the HOF if he was never even suspended. Like i said, as of right now the only modern (past 10-15 years) players i say keep out are Sosa and Palmero.

Yeah, but there is only going to be about a 7 year period where steriods became mainstream, and this year, where testing is going to be rampant.

Of you put up your big numbers during those 7 years AND you are under suspicion of using the juice (most players) then sorry. Deny it with a lie detector, fine, but for me, this whole era is guilty.

Yeah, but there is only going to be about a 7 year period where steriods became mainstream, and this year, where testing is going to be rampant.

Of you put up your big numbers during those 7 years AND you are under suspicion of using the juice (most players) then sorry. Deny it with a lie detector, fine, but for me, this whole era is guilty.

All i know is my boy Donnie Baseball wasn't on the juice - and he deserves to be in the hall.

Mattingly for HOF!!

Bottom line is Rose signed his life away. He agreed to a lifetime ban and now he's paying for it.

My sentiments exactly. What good are the rules if they are ignored when it really matters. It sends a bad signal.

As for Bonds and the rest of the raisin nuts, I think they should be eligible for the hall (since it wasn't technically against the rules) but their records should have that asterisk they always talk about. :2cents:

Does not deserve it and here is why. . . He is BANNED from baseball. All he has to do is say hey, I effed up, and they'll let him in, he doesn't even have the balls to do it. Then this weasle whines about not being in the hall, he's a pos who is getting what he deserves. Until he acts like a m,an and owns up to his mistakes, he should be banned.

:2cents:

Does not deserve it and here is why. . . He is BANNED from baseball. All he has to do is say hey, I effed up, and they'll let him in, he doesn't even have the balls to do it. Then this weasle whines about not being in the hall, he's a pos who is getting what he deserves. Until he acts like a m,an and owns up to his mistakes, he should be banned.

:2cents:

I tought he did all that in his book

Truth. But given that almost every slugger in baseball was on steroids at the same time as Bonds, it's kind of a wash. In other words, his stats are inflated, but so are everyone else's, and he was still clearly the best of our time.

True he is the best out of the roid freaks, but you can't hold him aloft over other players that do not use steroids. IT is hard to believe that every player in MLB is on roids... I just don't buy that. I would rather celebrate the best of the worst than someonbe who uses an obviously illegal performance enhancing drug.

No on Pete Rose. He knew what he was doing was clearly against the rules, and he accepted the punishment of a lifetime ban from baseball. It serves as an example for all baseball players that might think about betting on their games.

I would say yes on Bonds because even if he was using steroids, the punishment would not be a lifetime ban from baseball. The rules against gambling were clear when Rose egregiously broke them, he was caught, and he received a lifetime ban. The rules against steroids were very unclear and were not enforced when Barry was (allegedly) taking them ... in fact, at the time we were celebrating a home-run chase between Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. Barry was actually never caught, and ever if he was caught, he would have simply served a suspension - there would never have been a ban from baseball or the Hall of Fame.

Without a doubt, Bonds deserves asterisks by his name every time he's in a stat book.

Big gigantic enourmous * asterisks.

Edit: above asterisk not big enough.

Asterisk.jpg

There ya go.

Also, Southpark right now is showing the episode where Jimmy takes roids to win the special olympics. Coincidence?

And every other slugger in the past 10-15 years, and half the pitchers too. It was epidemic. It makes no sense just to ban Bonds and McGwire (not ot mention Sosa against whom there is no direct evidence), but it's not practical to ban everybody.

agreed w/ you about every other slugger and so on.

but it's not that impractical to ban them all. they just don't get into the HOF. not hard.

If you're going to lump those guys into a no HOF category then most all ball players from this era should be banned as well.

my post wasn't worded correctly, but after naming those three, i said purge them all, and i meant what you said here. i agree.

As for Bonds and the rest of the raisin nuts, I think they should be eligible for the hall (since it wasn't technically against the rules) but their records should have that asterisk they always talk about. :2cents:

i think that this is a valid point. not a bad idea at all. but my opinion is still no.

True he is the best out of the roid freaks, but you can't hold him aloft over other players that do not use steroids. IT is hard to believe that every player in MLB is on roids... I just don't buy that. I would rather celebrate the best of the worst than someonbe who uses an obviously illegal performance enhancing drug.

I don't think it was every player. Just the majority of players, and almost every slugger.

To say Bonds would be in without the roids is a tough argument to make IMO. Who's to say he'd even be playing past the age of 30-31 without the roids? He didnt even start putting up those big stats until then.

According to the book, Bonds starting taking stroids in 1989, when he got jealous of the attention McGwire and Sosa had gotten. At that point, Bonds already had 3 MVPs, six Golden Gloves and was a lock for the HoF.

Archived