Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[A Rams Fan's Take on] Adam Archuleta

ramsrams

How do you figure? The cap will likely be $15-$20 million higher than it is now in two years. The deals we just signed are going to be prorated over 6-7 years meaning a cap hit of ~$2MM for each year - how does that equate to being $40 million over the cap?

Because some people take what the sports analysts' say as gospel.

Cap hell for us every year!

First off - I hope you don't lump me into this group you refer to (easy to call everyone who didn't agree with ramsrams a hater - why not call out the specific members?). I haven't seen many posts insulting "ramsrams". Secondly, many of us disagree with his assessment - doesn't make us haters, makes us Skins fans. Why do we need to be so polite and cowtow to every non-Skins fan who seeks out this site and decides to post? I don't jump on Cowboys or Rams fan sites - if I did, I'd expect some fans to disagree with my take. I appreciate this guy (ramsrams) making his opinion known but I'm not going to call out other Skins fans for disagreeing with him - on a Skins fans' board!

What the hell is wrong with people on here lately? Everyone is so damn sensitive.

It was so many inflammatory remarks toward the guy I didn't feel the need to point out every single member who insulted him, nor did I care to because they all know who they are and I didn't even bother to look at the usernames to see who was posting what. So why would I need to point them out?

I wasn't calling out other Skins fans for disagreeing with him, I was calling out the idiots for completely dismissing his point and namecalling. The point of this board is to incite discussion about the Redskins, this guy came here to do that and instead he got flamed.

Furthermone, since we're on the topic of 'calling out members', why did you point me out, when numerous other members made similar comments?

Furthermone, since we're on the topic of 'calling out members', why did you point me out, when numerous other members made similar comments?

I guess I got a little tired off all of the posts calling other Skins fans out and yours put me over the edge. Humor me and go back and count how many posts on this thread insulted ramsrams vs. those that kissed his rear apologizing for all of the terrible Skins fan responses. I personally couldn't count one that personally insulted the guy for posting - yet counted many that called other Skins fans to the carpet. Unacceptable in my book.

Anyway - my apologies to the mods for getting off topic..... On to another thread!

Is Adam Archuleta better than Ryan Clark? Yes.

Did the Redskins overpay Adam Archuleta? Yes.

I personally would have passed on Archleta and targeted a Safety in the 2nd round considering there are basically no good pass rushers that late...

10 million is too much for a guy of his caliber, period...

But his name is Joe Gibbs and............... read the screen name... :notworthy

How can you dispute the success of our approach over the last two seasons? I'm sure there are plans in place to handle the other pieces. Carter can play in the back 7 or front four. Besides how can you not address 7 of the 11 positions on defense when building a team? It's not like our DL was horrible last season. We could use some depth (but so could the other 31 teams in the NFL). GW likes lots of DB's and the flexibility it provides - what better way to defend the WCO? My faith rests with him.

I'm not disputing the success of our overall approach, I'm just disputing whether this particular player is worth the price he commanded in free agency. If you can't make that distinction then the faith that you referred to is blind.

When I posted what I did I did not realize that we'd signed Carter. That's great news, but it still doesn't negate my concerns about Archuleta's overall value to us. For example, what exactly is the difference between Archuleta's talents (and limitations) and those of Matt Bowen, who we've let depart in FA? Both are blazing fast, injury prone strong-safety types who are poor in pass coverage. One's just a hell of a lot more expensive than the other.

While we've done a remarkable job maximizing the return on our talent (for a change), particularly on defense, I'd remind you that nobody is perfect. I continue to question this acquisition.

To all the posters taking a "holier than thou" attitude because a couple people called this guy out, please relax a little bit. The post can be construed as a tad trollish, so people responding in kind are not in the wrong (imho).

Lighten up, people. Its supposed to be Skins fans vs. everyone else....relax.

Decent post.

Its a damn good thing we have Sean Taylor to cover the TE and lock down pass coverage.

You have to look at this from our perspective. $10 million to you is NOT the same as $10 million to us. Sad but true. The Dan wipes his arse with $10 million. You look at this move as a waste of money. We look at it as simply an upgrade at the strong safety position.

How bout 40 million over the cap in 2 yrs..hey we can go round and round all day but the bottom line is we're going to end up paying players who are not on our team in 2 yrs...EL won't see the end of his contract and the Adam Bomb won't either.

skins defense AWESOME!:notworthy

rams defense ..uh....what defense:doh:

kind of funny ramram ...talkin about archuleta not being that great..when all along its your whole defense that sux. archuleta was only good player you all 'had' and we took him.:silly::silly::silly:

SCOUTS INC. has him listed as the best FA Safty available!!, I think I'll trust GW on this one . Thanks for your imput though, don't forget to come back at end of year to talk about how his season went.

Adam Archuleta | S Complete player profile

Full Name: Adam Jason Archuleta

Born: November 27, 1977

Chandler, AZ

Height: 6-0

Weight: 223 lbs. Age: 28

Pos: S

Experience: 5 years

College: Arizona State

Drafted: Year:2001 Round:1 Pick:20, Rams

Insider Analysis

Grade 75

Expert's Take He is an undersized SS who makes a lot of plays. He is not the same type of player, but the Rams try to do a lot of the same things Pittsburgh does with Troy Polamalu. He has very good straight-line speed for the position. He can come up on the line and match up with the TE in man-to-man situations. They will walk him up over the TE and he gets a nice jam, not allowing the TE to get a clean release. He plays more physical than his size. He flashes the foot quickness to align over a receiver in the slot. He is a solid zone safety -- has very good instincts. He closes well forward and to the sidelines in Cover 2. He is a smart player -- excellent instincts and can distinguish quickly between the run and pass. He anticipates well and shows excellent route recognition. He plays bigger than his size as a hitter -- can blow up ball carrriers and receivers when he gets them lined up. He did not play as well down in the box last season. He tends to get out-sized when blockers are able to reach him. He is not quick to shed blocks in run support. Because of his aggressiveness he does get out of position at times. He will overrun the ball in run support. He is more of a drag-down tackler -- better hitter than wrap-and-finish safety. Though he is fast, he can take some poor angles in coverage. He struggles in coverage as the deep safety. He does not have great ball skills in deep coverage. Overall, he is a high-energy player who flies to the ball. He loves football and plays with passion. He is a good Cover 2 SS and is effective enough dropping down in the box. He has the ability to make a team better in the back end.

Player Pos. FA Type Ht. Wt. Exp. 2005 Team 2006 Team Grade Comment

Adam Archuleta S UFA 6-0 223 5 Rams Redskins 75 Expert's Take

Chris Hope S UFA 5-11 206 4 Steelers 74 Expert's Take

Will Demps S UFA 6-0 205 4 Ravens 73 Expert's Take

Lawyer Milloy S Released 6-0 190 10 Bills 73 Expert's Take

Corey Chavous S UFA 6-1 206 8 Vikings Rams 72 Expert's Take

Tank Williams S UFA 6-3 223 4 Titans 71 Expert's Take

Marlon McCree S UFA 5-11 202 5 Panthers Chargers 70 Expert's Take

Ryan Clark S UFA 5-11 205 4 Redskins 69 Expert's Take

Marcus Coleman S Released 6-2 206 10 Texans 69 Expert's Take

Dexter Jackson S UFA 6-1 203 7 Buccaneers Bengals 69 Expert's Take

Tebucky Jones S Released 6-2 218 8 Dolphins 69 Expert's Take

Marquand Manuel S UFA 6-0 209 4 Seahawks Packers 69 Expert's Take

Shaun Williams S UFA 6-2 218 8 NY Giants 69 Expert's Take

William Bartee S UFA 6-1 200 6 Chiefs 68 Expert's Take

Deke Cooper S UFA 6-2 210 4 Jaguars 68 Expert's Take

Terrence Holt S RFA 6-2 208 3 Lions 68 Expert's Take

Matt Bowen S Released 6-1 203 6 Redskins 67 Expert's Take

Keion Carpenter S UFA 5-11 205 7 Falcons 67 Expert's Take

Derrick Gibson S UFA 6-2 215 5 Raiders 67 Expert's Take

Joseph Jefferson S UFA 6-1 202 4 Colts 67 Expert's Take

Player

I guess I got a little tired off all of the posts calling other Skins fans out and yours put me over the edge. Humor me and go back and count how many posts on this thread insulted ramsrams vs. those that kissed his rear apologizing for all of the terrible Skins fan responses. I personally couldn't count one that personally insulted the guy for posting - yet counted many that called other Skins fans to the carpet. Unacceptable in my book.

Anyway - my apologies to the mods for getting off topic..... On to another thread!

I was one who appologized to him. I'd hardly call that "kissing someone's rear" though . . . part of that reason was because I had questions for ramsram too. I wanted to discuss his question, not just post "what I think" and get into a contest of whitty one liners, as there are hundreds of those threads on the board.

As the mods asked us yesterday I was trying to do my best to make this an interesting topic of discussion - and not just completley dismiss the guy because he is a fan of another team. Guess I just didn't feel like joining another message board to get another perspective so i wanted to hear more from him.

So, my aplogies if I offended anyone.

Thanks.

Next time you have some bitterness to offer... wait till someone asks for it. :ciao:

Oh yeah and not everybody's really excited about him in town..except maybe the women ;)

Ummm no, not this woman. Ryan Clark is so much hotter!

I hate this move. Money would have been better spent somewhere else. Unless it was spent here in anticipation of Taylor going to jail. But if that is the case, then they need to spend time wooing Clark in. Give him the reassurance he needs. It just seems like a slap in the face to Clark to bring this - no personality, no press conference dressing, 'jealous' (his words) - man in.

When he said yesterday that he would watch the films and was jealous to see safeties having fun and flying through the air hitting people, I could have gone right through my computer screen. If he had gone on to Chicago and turned us down, that would continue to be the case. And then he said he couldn't wait to work with Taylor - just totally dissing Ryan like he didn't exist or was already gone.... Just made me so mad!

Well Mr. Wiseass, I offered my opinion on one player.

Coaches make mistakes. Accredited writers make mistakes. Fans make mistakes,

I'm betting I haven't made one here.

And I'm betting that 99.9% of this Board doesn't care what you think. ;)

Well Mr. Wiseass, I offered my opinion on one player.

Coaches make mistakes. Accredited writers make mistakes. Fans make mistakes,

I'm betting I haven't made one here.

Well I assume you are not a coach, a writer, or even a fan as you claim because you are infallible. Which leads to only one logical conclusion, you are Pope Benedict...

On the other hand, if you are a fan, and fans make mistakes, then by the transitive property you make mistakes. And so I ask you, who should we believe; Lovie Smith, Gregg Williams, Joe Gibbs, Scouts, Inc. or ramsrams?

Let me re-introduce myself. I participate at the best Rams board in existence www.realramsfans.com., under the same screen name.

I had a good discourse with some of you prior to the Skins/Rams game last year.

I was judged objective at that time. You can look it up.

I find it somewhat humorous that a player judged so expendable by one team can be knighted by another. Yes, you will read that new coach Haslett wanted him back. Kind of. He was convinced otherwise.

As one who has watched AA ever since he has come into the league, I unfortunately have to suggest that Mr. Snyder just blew $10 million plus this year's salary. Not that that matters.

If a first down safety was that important, then it's a decent move. Archuleta is good at directed plays in front of him. Unfortunately for the Skins, that's all he's good at. Some have suggested he's also good at blitzing, but he's not. He runs by the pocket with very few change of direction skills.

Adam can't cover a TE if his life depended on it. The Rams have been consistently burned by mediocre TE's like Campbell and Johnson on AA's watch.

When AA is in space, he has few football instincts. Running backs can set up Arch with one move, and he's out of the play. I'm sure you've heard of the bad angles he takes.

I'm sure the better coaching will allow Arch to play at a higher level, but at the end of the day, here's a guy you gave beaucoup dollars to who I didn't want anywhere near a starting spot for the defensively challenged Rams next year.

Strange.

With all do respect to your football knowledge and all.

Our coaching staff knows more than you about football. I gurantee you we didnt just run out and sign him. We study the FA's we go after and get. We are very familiar with AA's strengths and weaknesses and still felt like he was a guy we wanted.

I trust that.

Shawn Springs also was supposed to be trash, suddenly once our staff got a hold of him he was a top CB again.

Let me re-introduce myself. I participate at the best Rams board in existence www.realramsfans.com., under the same screen name.

I had a good discourse with some of you prior to the Skins/Rams game last year.

I was judged objective at that time. You can look it up.

I find it somewhat humorous that a player judged so expendable by one team can be knighted by another. Yes, you will read that new coach Haslett wanted him back. Kind of. He was convinced otherwise.

As one who has watched AA ever since he has come into the league, I unfortunately have to suggest that Mr. Snyder just blew $10 million plus this year's salary. Not that that matters.

If a first down safety was that important, then it's a decent move. Archuleta is good at directed plays in front of him. Unfortunately for the Skins, that's all he's good at. Some have suggested he's also good at blitzing, but he's not. He runs by the pocket with very few change of direction skills.

Adam can't cover a TE if his life depended on it. The Rams have been consistently burned by mediocre TE's like Campbell and Johnson on AA's watch.

When AA is in space, he has few football instincts. Running backs can set up Arch with one move, and he's out of the play. I'm sure you've heard of the bad angles he takes.

I'm sure the better coaching will allow Arch to play at a higher level, but at the end of the day, here's a guy you gave beaucoup dollars to who I didn't want anywhere near a starting spot for the defensively challenged Rams next year.

Strange.

If he's that bad, how in the hell did he ever get into the NFL? C'mon man, you can do better than that.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck :ramsuck: :ramsuck: :ramsuck: :ramsuck: :ramsuck: :ramsuck: :ramsuck: :ramsuck: :ramsuck:

It would be interesting to here your take on Lloyd and Carter? My buddy is a niners fan and said you guys used to run the ball down carters throat when he was a End. He also said it was a good pick up though and he is really explosive. He was really dissapointed in losing Lloyd. Whats your opinion since you saw these guys twice a year.

Archived