Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The SAVE RYAN CLARK -Movement

Paavo

Anyone ready to picket? The one I most care about keeping is Ryan Clark. He is the heart of the defense and the lockerroom. Add anyone you want, but KEEP RYAN CLARK!!!!!!!!!!! :helmet:
lets do it.im glad i not the only one who thinks ryan is a great team guy who may become a star.

lets do it.im glad i not the only one who thinks ryan is a great team guy who may become a star.

He's a SUPERstar! :point2sky "Superstar!" Not one of the big flashy names or guys but staple of the team- dependable, humble guy always making the big plays and coming through. A guy who's absence is felt like a deep hole. Where do we go to picket?

Full Name: Adam Jason Archuleta

Born: November 27, 1977

Chandler, AZ

Height: 6-0

Weight: 223 lbs. Age: 28

Pos: S

Experience: 5 years

College: Arizona State

Drafted: Year:2001 Round:1 Pick:20, Rams

Insider Analysis

Grade 75

Expert's Take He is an undersized SS who makes a lot of plays. He is not the same type of player, but the Rams try to do a lot of the same things Pittsburgh does with Troy Polamalu. He has very good straight-line speed for the position. He can come up on the line and match up with the TE in man-to-man situations. They will walk him up over the TE and he gets a nice jam, not allowing the TE to get a clean release. He plays more physical than his size. He flashes the foot quickness to align over a receiver in the slot. He is a solid zone safety -- has very good instincts. He closes well forward and to the sidelines in Cover 2. He is a smart player -- excellent instincts and can distinguish quickly between the run and pass. He anticipates well and shows excellent route recognition. He plays bigger than his size as a hitter -- can blow up ball carrriers and receivers when he gets them lined up. He did not play as well down in the box last season. He tends to get out-sized when blockers are able to reach him. He is not quick to shed blocks in run support. Because of his aggressiveness he does get out of position at times. He will overrun the ball in run support. He is more of a drag-down tackler -- better hitter than wrap-and-finish safety. Though he is fast, he can take some poor angles in coverage. He struggles in coverage as the deep safety. He does not have great ball skills in deep coverage. Overall, he is a high-energy player who flies to the ball. He loves football and plays with passion. He is a good Cover 2 SS and is effective enough dropping down in the box. He has the ability to make a team better in the back end.

Full Name: Ryan Clark

Born: October 12, 1979

Marrero, LA

Height: 5-11

Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 26

Pos: S

Experience: 4 years

College: LSU

Insider Analysis

Grade 69

Expert's Take Clark has above average athletic ability and good quickness. He is an active player who is a better run stopper than a pass defender. He has good recognition skills vs. the run. He is instinctive locating the ball and does a good job of supporting the run both inside and outside. He takes good angled to the ball, will slip and avoid blockers and is a good technique tackler who breaks down and wraps you up. He has good overall defensive back skills and techniques. He has good foot quickness, is low in his back pedal and has good balance and agility. However, Clark is best when he can keep everything in front of him. He is a much better zone player than is man-to-man player. He does a nice job on his drops and planting and driving to the ball. He has decent change of direction skills, but not great. He is not fluid in his hips and will lose speed in transition when he has to turn and run in man coverage. He lacks good catch up speed and you do not see a burst. He is sometimes too aggressive on his run support. He lacks ideal size, strength and bulk and will get bounced around some at the point of attack vs. the run. Overall, Clark is good against the run, is a good hitter and is not afraid to mix it up. He plays hard, has a good work ethic and does not take plays off when he is on the backside. He is an adequate starter but his lack of man-to-man cover skills keeps him from being a good starter.

Gibbs and Williams know what is best if they want Archuleta then he is best for the team, root for the jersey not the name on the back of it.
Archuleta can be a better SS than Clark

IMO if Clark re-signs HE is the insurance policy on Sean Taylor

i agree adam archuelta gives another big safety that can play cb and safety. Trust Gibbs and CO. , also people have u noticed that ryan clark wants to test free agency and the team has yet to give him a contract.

I'm not sure why you guys think we are set at safety if Sean Taylor gets locked up. Most of our guys are SS, not FS. Archuleta is not a FS. He's more in the Roy Williams mold. Good against the run and good blitzer, but Texas toast in coverage. It actually makes me feel good that we aren't going after a safety with coverage skills. Makes me believe that Taylor will be here next season.

Archuleta's no "superstar name" either and I think the Skins might be able to get him for a minimal cap hit. He was making 1.6 mil last year, but his previous 4 years made about 500k or less base salary - wouldn't be surprised to see him sign the same kinda deal here, when all is said and done, he might count around 1.5 - 2 mil against the cap.

Also, Ryan Clark really thrived in our system. Think about who he was before he got here - a backup safety for the Giants with 22 total tackles over 2 yrs. If the Skins were trying to acquire him now with that resume, we'd really be freaking out. Wouldn't you guys like to see what Adam could do in this defense?

Now, I'm all for keeping Ryan around for depth - he more than deserves it. But Archuleta's a good pickup if the money's right. And that's not too big an if, IMO.

I didn't see much weakness in Ryan Clark's play last year. And with the talent of our coaches, he's only about to get better. He's a humble guy, hard worker, core locker room guy and one of the leaders of the defense, and he will eat your soul when he hits you.

I have no animosity towards Adam Archuleta, but I want Ryan Clark back.

Invest in Ryan. In the midst of guys like Terrell Owens et al terrorizing the league, Clark is exactly the kind of guy I want to see represent the Washington Redskins.

Say YES to Ryan Clark in 2006.

I didn't see much weakness in Ryan Clark's play last year. And with the talent of our coaches, he's only about to get better. He's a humble guy, hard worker, core locker room guy and one of the leaders of the defense, and he will eat your soul when he hits you.

I have no animosity towards Adam Archuleta, but I want Ryan Clark back.

Invest in Ryan. In the midst of guys like Terrell Owens et al terrorizing the league, Clark is exactly the kind of guy I want to see represent the Washington Redskins.

Say YES to Ryan Clark in 2006.

AMEN! :point2sky

Oh, and RYAN CLARK FOR PRESIDENT. :helmet:

I'm definately on the Ryan Clark bandwagon. He hits with force & he has been all over the field in some games where it saeemed his name was getting called almost every other defensive play. He seems like a real humble "core" Redskin. Why would we NOT re-sign him? Clark & Taylor are a force to be reckoned with!

I agree with everyone else that Ryan Clarks NEEDS to be resigned, he's a hardworker, doesn't point fingers, spotless off the field, not expensive, and a core guy. Let's face it, ST is not going to jail, if OJ and Ray Lewis can get away with murder, ST can get away with some alleged gun charges. So there it is, we don't need Adam Archuleta, we should spend the $ somewhere else besides safety.

One more thing... everyone is having amnesia about Ryan Clark getting busted by LT in overtime.

I think Archuleta is better against the run and pass than Clark. St. Louis was top 10 in the league at defending against tight ends...much of that has to do with Archuleta.

I love Clark as much as the next guy and want to see him in B&G... but I'd love to have Archuleta on board.

Most of our guys are SS, not FS. Archuleta is not a FS. He's more in the Roy Williams mold. Good against the run and good blitzer, but Texas toast in coverage. It actually makes me feel good that we aren't going after a safety with coverage skills. Makes me believe that Taylor will be here next season.

Ryan Clark can play FS. Obviously, he's no Sean Taylor but he can hold his own in coverage and can still pop wide receivers trying to make the catch.

One more thing... everyone is having amnesia about Ryan Clark getting busted by LT in overtime.

How many times did Earl Campbell run over a great defensive player?

Exactly. I find it hard to believe you're bringing up one missed tackle as a reason for anything.

Archived