Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kerwin on Ramsey: Joe Gibbs should not settle for less than a 2nd round pick

kingdaddy

Am I the only one who remembers that both Brees and Culpepper went down with serious injuries last year? Brees on his throwing shoulder and Culpepper completely shredded his knee. Lavar tears a meniscus and is out for essentially two years, Culpepper tore EVERYTHING. As for Pennington, that guy had a rag arm to begin with and he's had two surgeries on his throwing shoulder in two years. I don't see why Ramsey, a guy with an absolute cannon and no major injuries in his career, is that far behind these guys. A dumber move by the Phins would be to use their cap room on a guy who just tore his labrum. A dumber move by any team would be to give up the farm for Culpepper, who may never be able to move the way he did before the injury. I don't think a third is unreasonable, and a package deal for a second may even be possible.

I'm with AJ here.... I think a team ponies up a 2nd or 3rd or we simply keep him. There is a reason Gibbs said he'd accomodate Ramsey seeking a trade... but that ANY trade would have to make sense for both of us. That's the cushion right there.... that we'd trade Ramsey if it made sense for us. Well... if it's not a 2nd or 3rd.... which is what we think the FO thinks "makes sense"... than we simply keep him.

Additionally, Ramsey hasn't been told he'd be given the starting job anyway. Reports are that both the phins and the jets consider him a backup. Well...why would he demand to be traded to be the backup somewhere else when he could simply stay here and be the backup. Whether it's Campbell's or Brunell's what difference does it make?

No... Ramsey is smart and has the tools to be a starting QB. If someoone wants him, they'll pay our asking price. If not... well then we tell Ramsey it didn't make sense and start preparing to compete for the job in late March.

Ramsey's gumption to look for Moss downfield in the Giant game propelled us to the win. If Ramsey clams up and the offense sputters.... the G-men could have gotten on tract and beaten us...essentially knocking us from playoff contention. Can we risk not having someone like that backing up our starter? Could Ramsey over time become the starter, potentially due to injury at first and then simply not relinquish the job due to his performance on the field? I think those are valid questions..... worth either getting a 2nd or 3rd for him or keeping him.

End of story...

let's see which teams suffer injuries or don't get the player they want in the draft. then we will see what we can get for Ramsey. I would be loathe to take the first deal that comes along if it is for a pick lower than round 3.

The idea of trading #11 for a #5 pick is a joke. #5 picks are developmental players with about a 50/50 shot of being able to make an NFL roster.

We know that Ramsey is an NFL player and can make an NFL roster as a backup and serviceable starter.

A 2nd round pick is not a bad idea. PR throws darts, has guts and can be dangerous. Provided he's throwing in rythm, that is, the ball is leaving his hand just after he plants. He has problems, it seems, with plays that take a time to develop. But when he can set and let it go, he's fine. Moreover, his arm-strength is better than most in the NFL. Hopefully, he can get his confidence back.

Pat Kerwin from Sirius Radio just went over all of the QBs in the draft and concluded that Ramsey is the equivalent of a 2nd round pick. He added that the Skins should put a condition on the pick that if Ramsey has a 3000 yd. year, we should get an additional pick as well. He was using the Jets as the example of a possible trading partner. They mentioned that Ramsey has thrown over 30 td's in the NFL and that NFL experience is valuable in trade considerations.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm.........

music to my ears

If AJ feeley can be traded for 2nd round then ramsey should also go for a 2nd. Starting qb's with 30 starts on their resume with no injury problems are not that easy to find. Plus Ramsey is still thought of as not having reached his potential so he is likely to get better with playing time. Also the fact that Ramsey won't have to given a monster contract should be appealing to teams.

IMO he will turn out to be a great pickup for some team just like Delhomme was a couple of years back.

I have been saying all along that the Skins should not give Ramsey away.He has to much upside.

He still could turn out to be a better than average NFL qb in my opinion.A lot of his weaknesses can be improved with good coaching and the right situation.I don't think you can question his arm strength,toughness,or charachter,qualities that are not that easy to come by.How can he not be worth more than a 4th rounder that might never make any team?As stated before Pat at is at least a very solid #2 qb.Shouldn't that be worth more than a 3rd or 4th rounder?

Gibbs has said he does not want to have a player that does not want to be here. I think the one thing everyone seems to agree on is that PR is a great guy. That opinion might change if Gibbs doesn't trade or cut him - i'm sure they will not see him until he absolutely has to report in August. Forget all the off season camps and workouts.....

Why don't the Skins ask for a CONDITIONAL 3rd round pick, that can become a 2nd round pick based on his playing time? :D

I'm all for getting a higher pick even it means waiting a year to get it. Regardless of where the Jets draft next year, a second is always higher than a third. The one problem is that he's not guaranteed to play there, so Chad Pennington could take them to the Superbowl next year(not saying its likely) w/o Ramsey ever seeing the field next year and we'd be stuck with a pick late in the third round(almost a fourth rounder) in the 2007 draft. It's a risk I'm not sure I'd be willing to take if I was the Redskins FO, plus I'm not sure I'd want to wait.

I definitely agree with others that we should package Ramsey with other picks to get something of real value in return like lets say for instance- the Raider's #7 pick in the first round(Vernon Davis=#2WR/BEAST) for Ramsey, our second rounder this year and our first and third round picks next year-(that's the lowball offer we'd send Al Davis). Just a random example there....:).

Gibbs has said he does not want to have a player that does not want to be here. I think the one thing everyone seems to agree on is that PR is a great guy. That opinion might change if Gibbs doesn't trade or cut him - i'm sure they will not see him until he absolutely has to report in August. Forget all the off season camps and workouts.....

Posts that make you go "hmm ..."

Thanks, 318. Confirms my thinking on this one.

Archived