Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much would you spend for an engagement ring?

gortiz

I'm with cuddles on this one. If you know your getting married save up some. I wouldn't want to incur a huge debt for a ring.

Go with what you're comfortable with. And if you and your fiancee have different values on what is appropriate to spend, your marriage isn't off to a good start.

My wife and I are coming up on 15 year anniversary. Gave her choice of new ring or kitchen floor. Floor won... :D

Seriously, gave her the 3 diamond ring at 10 years. The one that represents

yesterday, today, and forever.

The only ring or piece of jewelry she's asked for is something that has the birthstones of all the kids, her, and myself.

I love jewelry. Pez has it good and bad. The bad is I am certified in gemology so he can't pass off crap to me. The good is I still get my discount at a jewelry store in SC.

It is not about the $$$ but the thought behind it! That is they way I looked at it. My ring is actually from Mexico as we got engaged on a cruise boat there.

For our 5th wedding anniversary, I surprised my wife with a 3.1 ct round cut diamond in a platinum setting to replace the one I got her when we got engaged. Not bragging, but I spent a whole lot more than any suggested figure so far in this thread.

Yes its superficial and ostentatious.

But she loves it, and it makes her feel good when she wears it. She is constantly complimented by her friends and other women.

And, it's my permanent "get out jail free" card.

I still stand by this statement. I've sat around and watched women compare and talk and such. It is a source of pride that their ring is bigger and they are with someone with more money. (Or more money than sense) I don't love my wife less than someone with a 2ct. diamond...and that is all that should matter!

That's a sign that something's wrong with the woman, not the ring.

For our 5th wedding anniversary, I surprised my wife with a 3.1 ct round cut diamond in a platinum setting to replace the one I got her when we got engaged. Not bragging, but I spent a whole lot more than any suggested figure so far in this thread.

Yes its superficial and ostentatious.

But she loves it, and it makes her feel good when she wears it. She is constantly complimented by her friends and other women.

And, it's my permanent "get out jail free" card.

That ring cost more than more rides. Ask her how it feels to be wearing a 330ci on her hand.

I would spend about $8,000 to $9,000 for a good A/B clarity 1-1.5 carats...

The scale starts at "D" and that's color :laugh: and 1.5 carat D vvsI is an "investment grade" certified would run $25-30K.

I'll bet one of NY mods could you hook up with a wholesaler, and get a brilliant 1.25 carat I-J color vsII cert for $3500 and that would be very good looking ring that would appraise for $8k. If you can afford it, I wouldn't give any less than a 1 carat rock.

My wife wears on nice one and you'd be surprised at how nice her girlfriends and female co-workers are to me :laugh:.

I love jewelry. Pez has it good and bad. The bad is I am certified in gemology so he can't pass off crap to me. The good is I still get my discount at a jewelry store in SC.

It is not about the $$$ but the thought behind it! That is they way I looked at it. My ring is actually from Mexico as we got engaged on a cruise boat there.

Okay let's see here, you love jewelry and you love Coach purses.

Poor Pez. :laugh:

The scale starts at "D" and that's color :laugh: and 1.5 carat D vvsI is an "investment grade" certified would run $25-30K.

I'll bet one of NY mods could you hook up with a wholesaler, and get a brilliant 1.25 carat I-J color vsII cert for $3500 and that would be very good looking ring that would appraise for $8k. If you can afford it, I wouldn't give any less than a 1 carat rock.

My wife wears on nice one and you'd be surprised at how nice her girlfriends and female co-workers are to me :laugh:.

This man know his jewelery. :applause::applause::applause:

What do you think a 2 to 2.5 ct round I-J color vsII cert would run?

:laugh: Let's see, my experience with Wedding Rings.

My long-term ex, (5 years together) originally told me that she wanted a platinum band, with a marquise cut stone, and she wanted the stone to have a low setting.

So that's what I bought her....the first time. Due to outside influences, she ended up wanting to put the wedding talk off for a while, so I took the ring back, and bought a tread mill with the money. ( :laugh: she hated that ) About 1 and a 1/2 years later, we start talking marriage again. The second time around she had TOTALLY switched gears, and said she wanted princess cut stone, on a white gold band, with maybe some other stones on the ring. Also, she wasn't worried about the setting anymore. A high setting would be fine. :laugh:

The first ring cost me 2,000 dollars and I spent 6 months working overtime to get it, so I could pay cash. The second, I never bought but I had put away about 3 grand for that one. Thankfully, we broke up before I bought it. For the right girl, or the one I perceive to be the right girl...I'd be willing to spend up to 3 grand on a ring. No more than that though. Anything more than $3,000, IMHO is ridiculous, unless you have money to burn, and most of us don't. Personally, I'd like to find a woman who would be happy with a 1,500 dollar ring, and then we splurge the other 1,500 on our honeymoon. (along with whatever else we saved, plus the contributions from the bank of mom and dad :) )

This man know his jewelery. :applause::applause::applause:

What do you think a 2 to 2.5 ct round I-J color vsII cert would run?

I could only guess, $10-20k wholesale-retail? That would be one heluva-nice rock. I've seen allot of big diamonds on my customers wife's hands, but most of them are dull looking (low quality). It's better to go for a 3/4 carat that will light up the room, then a 1.5 carat smoked quartz looking thing.

I may be young and naive, but I only plan on getting engaged and married once, so I'd would like to do it right and go all out...Get the ring she wants the way she wants, as long as it's reasonable. My ex from last year that we had actually started discussing it not seriously, but discussing it wanted a platinum band, with 3 stones totally about 2 carats, and I didn't see anything wrong with that at the time.

OMG...

I spend more on a few dates which don't end up anywhere- than some of you did on engagement diamonds..

I am checking out monasteries now.

:doh:

:laugh: So freakin true, I just spent almost $400 last Saturday night :doh: Hell, you's spending a couple of grand for your trip to the Bahamas, and you're not even getting anything. . . We're effin' screwed when the time comes, lets hope we BOTH find a cheap ass wife that doesn't know the difference between a E & H diamond. . . somehow I don't think that is going to be the case :laugh:

I may be young and naive, but I only plan on getting engaged and married once. . .My ex from last year that we had actually started discussing it. . .wanted a platinum band, with 3 stones totally about 2 carats, and I didn't see anything wrong with that at the time.

I don't know if it is young and naive, or just blinded by love, but you're lucky the "discussion" was just that :laugh:

You have to go with what you feel is right, many of my friends spent a fortune on a ring and when they would sit around comparing :rolleyes: I am sure it had to hurt my wife's feelings. That part is my only regret(although she obviously held different values,as do I ) in allowing her to pick a inexpensive ring.

Of course she had no clue how much I made and wisely chose a modest one.

Almost 23 yrs of marriage later it still amuses me she paid more for my ring than I did for hers :laugh: , but she did get me and all I have with it . ;)

You have to go with what you feel is right, many of my friends spent a fortune on a ring and when they would sit around comparing :rolleyes: I am sure it had to hurt my wife's feelings. That part is my only regret(although she obviously held different values,as do I ) in allowing her to pick a inexpensive ring.

Of course she had no clue how much I made and wisely chose a modest one.

Almost 23 yrs of marriage later it still amuses me she paid more for my ring than I did for hers :laugh: , but she did get me and all I have with it . ;)

It's all what you and your wife are comfortable with and your priorities. My wife feels better we have plenty stashed away in savings for either early retirement, or some unforseen emergency because of such choices early in our married life.

It meant we could drop almost $10,000 on a special family vacation last summer without a second thought.

After all $8-10,000 on a ring over 20 years at 10% per annum adds up. :D

A really good diamond (internally flawless, not even flawless) runs about $35,000 to $40,000 per carat.

I'm not crazy about asking or expecting or even allowing a man I love to spend some big sum of money on me for a ring I probably wouldn't even wear every day. For instance I would never parade expensive jewelry in front of a jury. And I'm sure not wearing them to crime scenes.

And what does the woman get her man as her present to him? And in light of the fact that the price and availability of diamonds is artificially controlled - along with the horrible history of diamond mining - perhaps it's best to start some new traditions. I guess I would feel differently if he had tons of money to burn but even then I might feel guillty about it - it seems so frivolous even though I think diamond rings and, even more so, diamond earrings are just beautiful. After having said all that, I have always been very grateful for the jewelry I have received as presents. Especially if the guy didn't have much money - I always felt the sacrafice made was touching.

Perhaps a really fine diamond after a long time together or some great achievement is more appropriate.

Just one women's opinion.

I'm just curious, of course if your rich a 10k ring will not be as big as deal as it would be to the average joe, but it is still a lot in anyone's book for a ring.

Is it me, or do people go crazy when it comes to wedding rings? Or am I the one that is crazy. I've been married 7 years, and I spent a grand total of 400 bucks on my wifes and my ring. :silly:

Also, would it bug you if your finance knew exaclty what kind of ring she wanted? And then told you . . . How about if she wanted to go shopping for it with you? :doh: Your thoughts. I work with a lot of women and their views/attitudes/expectations of wedding rings is quite disturbing. I never really got the other side of it. . .

There is nothing wrong in that.

I would say do not overspend on a ring, there are many more important things you can purchase such as a home that I think your wife or husband would care more about.

It is not smart to get in debt before you get married.

Archived