Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How much would you spend for an engagement ring?

gortiz

Well I spent about 300 bucks,she said a plain one was fine ;)

Lord ...Have I paid for THAT over these years :laugh:

Get her the Best you can and hope for the best. :2cents:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You fell for the whatever you get me is fine honey, just don't spend alot of money????

Well I spent about 300 bucks,she said a plain one was fine ;)

Lord ...Have I paid for THAT over these years :laugh:

Get her the Best you can and hope for the best. :2cents:

This is where I was helped out by letting her pick out the ring. I let her pick 3 she liked and I picked from them...she knew the price so she couldnt complain!

I don't know, I'll let you know when I finish paying for the thing....... Oh, sorry, let me give a tip to all would be suitors, DO NOT take your fiance to the jewelry store with you to buy the rings.

She picked out what I have to guess is the Hope Diamond on a platinum band. So I paid, after almost 10 years, about $8000.

I don't know, I'll let you know when I finish paying for the thing....... Oh, sorry, let me give a tip to all would be suitors, DO NOT take your fiance to the jewelry store with you to buy the rings.

She picked out what I have to guess is the Hope Diamond on a platinum band. So I paid, after almost 10 years, about $8000.

Ouch.:laugh:

Duly noted sir.

One thing I would definitely suggest is to lay your hands on a jeweler's loupe and learn how to use it. There is a ridiculous difference in the actual quality of diamonds out there and it is not always reflected in the price. Go for the best quality you can handle, it will make a difference.

This is where I was helped out by letting her pick out the ring. I let her pick 3 she liked and I picked from them...she knew the price so she couldnt complain!

Well I let her pick out hers too....Didn't help, I should have insisted on a better one for insurance in the future :laugh:

I have seen dudes go out and drop $10g's on a ring only to find that the payments on the ring last much longer than the marriage does.

What if she leaves you because she starts banging some dude at the office? Now your marriage is over and you still owe $8gs on a ring that she probably won't give back to you because it was a "gift"....some "gift"....you're paying every month on a ring she has sitting in her jewelry box on the nightstand while office dude is hitting it...

Over half of all marriages end in divorce...something to think about before you drop major cash. My uncle bought his wife a very ordinary ring and told her that they would upgrade on their 10th anniversary. He started a business when they were first married and by their 10th anniversary he was rolling in cash and they had a wonderful marriage so bought her a monster rock....

I have seen dudes go out and drop $10g's on a ring only to find that the payments on the ring last much longer than the marriage does.

What if she leaves you because she starts banging some dude at the office? Now your marriage is over and you still owe $8gs on a ring that she probably won't give back to you because it was a "gift"....some "gift"....you're paying every month on a ring she has sitting in her jewelry box on the nightstand while office dude is hitting it...

Over half of all marriages end in divorce...something to think about before you drop major cash. My uncle bought his wife a very ordinary ring and told her that they would upgrade on their 10th anniversary. He started a business when they were first married and by their 10th anniversary he was rolling in cash and they had a wonderful marriage so bought her a monster rock....

Wow, some girl must have kicked you in the balls pretty good!!

If that's your mindset going into a marriage, then you probably should skate by as inexpensively as possible on the ring.

It's a combination of what you can afford and what she expects.

The thing I learned (I'm not a jewelry person and knew bupkis about diamonds prior to being engaged) is that this is a piece of jewelry that she'll wear with pride every day. It's a source of pride for her and you. There's no other piece of jewelry you can say that about.

If you think that's shallow, fine, but for some people it's the reality. Right, wrong or indifferent, people will take note of what you got your wife and will draw their conclusions about it.

My wife likes nice things and wears nice jewelry. She wanted something at least 1.25 carots. Rather than go for a low quality large stone, I got her a very nice 1.25 carot stone that really shines because it's well cut and high quality. I spent my entire first bonus of $7500 on that stone and ring (I bought them separately). The ring looks nice and always will. Not a bad investment for what I hope to be a lifetime with her.

Wow, some girl must have kicked you in the balls pretty good!!

If that's your mindset going into a marriage, then you probably should skate by as inexpensively as possible on the ring.

Actually, I have been very happily married for 7 years and purchased my wife a moderately priced ring since we decided together that we'd rather spend the money on our new home that we were purchasing. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone.....just pointing out the follies of a few friends of mine. By the way........can you give me directions to your world where divorce doesn't exist?

Actually, I have been very happily married for 7 years and purchased my wife a moderately priced ring since we decided together that we'd rather spend the money on our new home that we were purchasing. I wasn't trying to discourage anyone.....just pointing out the follies of a few friends of mine. By the way........can you give me directions to your world where divorce doesn't exist?

:laugh:

Sure, you turn left at reality and then...

I didn't mean to come off like that and I apologize that it sounded like a personal attack.

I guess I just don't see why one would go into something as serious as a marriage with that mindset. I realize that wasn't you're situation as you two agreed to spend the money elsewhere (that is a much different scenario than the one you described in your initial post). However, to skimp on the ring because your wife might run off with her co-worker seems a bit jaded to me. :2cents:

It seems a lot of women forget what the rings represent and are more about showing it off to their friends. Kinda the female equivalent of "my **** is bigger than yours"!

I still stand by this statement. I've sat around and watched women compare and talk and such. It is a source of pride that their ring is bigger and they are with someone with more money. (Or more money than sense) I don't love my wife less than someone with a 2ct. diamond...and that is all that should matter!

Plus some jewelry stores markups are higher than others. You need to know where to look.

Example:

These stores mark up their jewelry 7 times keystone:

Zales

Friedmans

These stores mark up their jewelry 3 times keystone:

Reeds

Carlyle

most independant stores

I went with a tanzanite instead of a diamond. After working in a jewelry store for years I was tired of seeing guys buy the same exact ring diamond solitaries. I wanted something different.

A couple xmas's ago I bought my wife a tanzanite ring. They are very pretty stones.

Somebody please, tell me, WHAT PURPOSE DOES A DIMANOND RING SERVE? I am specifically talking about an expensive ring. Think about it? What does it bring of any real value?

For someone to spend more on a ring then they did there honeymoon is crazy!

Somebody please, tell me, WHAT PURPOSE DOES A DIMANOND RING SERVE? I am specifically talking about an expensive ring. Think about it? What does it bring of any real value?

For someone to spend more on a ring then they did there honeymoon is crazy!

I'm with you ... and I am lucky that my wife didn't see the value in a very expensive rock she might lose - more of a liability than an asset.

She picked the ring she wanted and I spent about a quarter of one months salary when we got engaged.

The most solid advice is to spend an amount that you are comfortable with...don't go into debt.

I'm with cuddles on this one. If you know your getting married save up some. I wouldn't want to incur a huge debt for a ring.

:laugh:

However, to skimp on the ring because your wife might run off with her co-worker seems a bit jaded to me. :2cents:

Not advising anyone to skimp because their wife might run off...I was just presenting a scenario where one might be pissed if they spent over their head to impress their wife and/or her girlfriends.

The most solid advice is to spend an amount that you are comfortable with...don't go into debt. As you spend your married life together you will find that how much spent for the ring will become insignificant.

Archived