Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

If you don't have a horse in the race, soccer is the most tedious, frustrating sport on the face of the Earth. It makes you appreciate the skill it takes to play it, but every time there's a near miss on a shot, it makes you want to tear your hair out.

2 things about watching international soccer:

1- As bluefood said, you need to have a horse in the race to start off with it. Whether it's the U.S., or a foreign team of some choice.

2- You need to watch it with other people, to help you get into it and explain some stuff that happens that you might not understand.

I've always been indifferent towards international soccer, but I had a roommate in college who was 100% Turkish and another roommate who was 100% Croatian, and a couple of years ago both teams had great runs in the Euro Cup (especially Turkey- they were a huge underdog and made it to the semis after beating Croatia in a big upset). We'd get a ton of beer and watch the matches with maybe 6 or 7 other people and it would just be a really good time.

If you don't know anything about international soccer and you don't know anyone who cares about it, you're not going to get into it. It's extremely contagious in the right setting though.

Ok, I admit I don't know alot about soccer. But I find it pretty stupid that they showed Americans in the stands waving the flag after the game. Newsflash, idiots, you didn't WIN the game! And I don't give a crap that England was the favorite. You don't celebrate a freaking TIE!

Ok, I admit I don't know alot about soccer. But I find it pretty stupid that they showed Americans in the stands waving the flag after the game. Newsflash, idiots, you didn't WIN the game! And I don't give a crap that England was the favorite. You don't celebrate a freaking TIE!

From what I understand, the celebrating is warranted for two reasons:

1.) We get our point in round robin play, which is nice. Granted, we'd prefer the 3 points for the victory, but you take what you can get.

2.) We were supposed to get our asses handed to us and we walk away with something to show for our effort.

I hate ties, too, man; but with a sport like soccer, you gotta take what you can get.

See, stickboi, I'm learning. :D

LOL Were you aware of this

TLHoUx-TVj0

Go Hammer!

^^^ granted I had the sound off but what they were cheering about is the entertainment most likely. I doubt they were screaming USA, I didn't see a flag at all.

EDIT: I turned the sound on and I was correct. Is this supposed to be some backhanded attempt to make a connection to NASCAR ?

From what I understand, the celebrating is warranted for two reasons:

1.) We get our point in round robin play, which is nice. Granted, we'd prefer the 3 points for the victory, but you take what you can get.

2.) We were supposed to get our asses handed to us and we walk away with something to show for our effort.

I hate ties, too, man; but with a sport like soccer, you gotta take what you can get.

See, stickboi, I'm learning. :D

Yeah, I get that they got a point. But the object is still to win the game. You don't celebrate a friggin TIE! Furthermore, if not for the idiot England goalie giving them their goal, the US wouldn't have even scored. And it wasn't just the fans in the stands celebrating. The doofus US players were acting like they had won. Like I said, just another reason why soccer sucks. For the few minutes I watched today, I was literally bored to tears.

No I just randomly referenced the Braves inning entertainment at Turner Field

Has nothing to do with USA or the soccer game

Not sure what the mascot race has to do with what I posted. But, whatever. That sort of thing goes on at alot of ballparks. And its quite entertaining. They even have the presidents racing at Nationals Park haha. Btw, did you hear the dude in the stands go "Hammer time" as the Hammer is about to take the lead on the power drill? lol...Good stuff!

Yeah, I get that they got a point. But the object is still to win the game. You don't celebrate a friggin TIE! Furthermore, if not for the idiot England goalie giving them their goal, the US wouldn't have even scored. And it wasn't just the fans in the stands celebrating. The doofus US players were acting like they had won. Like I said, just another reason why soccer sucks. For the few minutes I watched today, I was literally bored to tears.

Well, it's like I said earlier, if you watched it by yourself and either didn't care at all (or already had your mind made up about it sucking) then you didn't have any chance of enjoying it.

The only way someone's going to get introduced to soccer and come away appreciating it is if they watch it with other people to get them involved. It's not a sport you can just pick up on while watching it alone or without any genuine interest.

Pertaining to NFL Sunday Ticket:

"Every NFL SUNDAY TICKETâ„¢ game in HD With NFL Sunday Ticketâ„¢ can you see every juke, every breakaway, every toss-sweep in breathtaking, heart-pounding, high-definition detail. Every NFL SUNDAY TICKETâ„¢ game. Now in HD! You no longer need to add a separate package to get every game every Sunday in crystal-clear HD*. It's now included with NFL SUNDAY TICKETâ„¢. See every bead of sweat. Feel every bone-crunching hit. Hear the crowd like you're right there on the sidelines. Experience it all like never before in HD."

Spartacus, I'm glad you now understand and enjoy soccer. But im never coming around. To me, everything about the sport sucks. From the stupid horns blaring all game long. No scoring. Foreigners calling the games. Ties. How can I forget about those. Pretty sad when the very first game of the tourney ends in a tie. Yeah, that gets me excited. No game should ever end in a tie. And worse, fans (and players) that celebrate a tie. UGH.

Spartacus, I'm glad you now understand and enjoy soccer. But im never coming around. To me, everything about the sport sucks. From the stupid horns blaring all game long. No scoring. Foreigners calling the games. Ties. How can I forget about those. Pretty sad when the very first game of the tourney ends in a tie. Yeah, that gets me excited. No game should ever end in a tie. And worse, fans that celebrate a tie. UGH.

There are many great things about the WC. The fact that it is truly a world championship, and not an American league only is one of them.

Every 4 years, as opposed to every single year also makes it more important. There is no next year.

That game today was fantastic. Lots of action, nice goals, even cleats to the chest.

I have no idea how you could possibly find weekly Nascar races anything but boring, yet have a hard time enjoying the WC.

There are many great things about the WC. The fact that it is truly a world championship, and not an American league only is one of them.

Every 4 years, as opposed to every single year also makes it more important. There is no next year.

That game today was fantastic. Lots of action, nice goals, even cleats to the chest.

I have no idea how you could possibly find weekly Nascar races anything but boring, yet have a hard time enjoying the WC.

It should be every 40 years. Not 4.:)

Lots of action? If not for England's goalie basically handing the US their goal, they don't even score. Nice "goal", is more like it. And sorry, but any sport where you play a few hours and only score once, twice if you're lucky, is beyond boring.

And I know you just didn't compare Nascar to soccer. Nascar venues regularly draw 100,000-200,000 fans, weekly. They get great ratings. Its probably the most watched sport, outside of the NFL. Soccer is only talked about once every 4 years in this country. And then its how "this is the year the US breaks out", etc. Bunch of nonsense. The US has always sucked in soccer, and always will. Its because the best athletes here couldn't care less about playing the sport. And its way too boring for most sports fans to get into. Hell, there was more excitement AFTER last weeks Cup race at Pocono then there is during an entire World Cup game.:pfft:

Spartacus, I'm glad you now understand and enjoy soccer. But im never coming around. To me, everything about the sport sucks. From the stupid horns blaring all game long. No scoring. Foreigners calling the games. Ties. How can I forget about those. Pretty sad when the very first game of the tourney ends in a tie. Yeah, that gets me excited. No game should ever end in a tie. And worse, fans (and players) that celebrate a tie. UGH.

Well, I don't really understand it. I get some of the simple aspects of it, but not the finer details.

Trust me, watch a big game with a group of people, especially while drinking, and it's a different experience.

I don't get the appeal of NASCAR at all, but I'm sure if I went to huge race, tailgated, and watched it live, I'd probably be hooked.

It's all a matter of perspective.

And I know you just didn't compare Nascar to soccer. Nascar venues regularly draw 100,000-200,000 fans, weekly. They get great ratings. Its probably the most watched sport, outside of the NFL.:pfft:

In this country, sure.

On earth, not even close.

Nascar doesn't come close to soccer. Either in attendance, or in ratings.

Neither does the NFL.

And newsfash: Very few people on earth care about Pocono last weekend.

Not sure what the mascot race has to do with what I posted. But, whatever. That sort of thing goes on at alot of ballparks. And its quite entertaining. They even have the presidents racing at Nationals Park haha. Btw, did you hear the dude in the stands go "Hammer time" as the Hammer is about to take the lead on the power drill? lol...Good stuff!

I am random like that.

Really had nothing to do with what you posted, was just Braves stuff.

3860626573_78ae153d70.jpg

The drill never wins :(

Archived