Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I did dance and soccer growing up...and honestly, the dance I took (tap and jazz) helped with soccer. When I got close to my teen years, I dropped the tap and jazz and focused on soccer and track.

Doing 2 at once does not take away from your kids play time. It only contributes. I think you are underestimating alot of things here and being biased by what you want

When it comes to some things, yes you decide, but others...like sports or recreational activites...it's their choice...otherwise you may become one of "those " parents who is trying to live your dreams through your kids.

You encourage them to do various physical activities, and expose them to as many as they are interested in. But as for forcing them to choose one over the other because you would rather they play soccer? That won't fly

I did dance and soccer growing up...and honestly, the dance I took (tap and jazz) helped with soccer.

I'll buy that

Doing 2 at once does not take away from your kids play time. It only contributes. I think you are underestimating alot of things here and being biased by what you want

When it comes to some things, yes you decide, but others...like sports or recreational activites...it's their choice...otherwise you may become one of "those " parents who is trying to live your dreams through your kids.

There's a fine line between living out your dreams and providing guidance. I think we're observant enough to know the difference. Because something she likes to do has a correlation with an activity, doesn't mean it has to be formalized. She loves to swing, should she become a trapeze artist? She loves to paint and draw—and wife is not advocating for putting her in art classes. She loves to sing but wife is not advocating for voice lessons? I believe, more than anything, my wife is pushing her toward dance because it's a preconception about what little girls should do and wants to go to dance recitals. 

You encourage them to do various physical activities, and expose them to as many as they are interested in. But as for forcing them to choose one over the other because you would rather they play soccer? That won't fly

You're advocating for a laissez faire attitude in this regard. Which doesn't exist in any other aspect of their (at least our kids') lives. We regulate what they watch, what they eat, and even how they play (safe and unsafe). You're creating a distinction that doesn't exist "guidance" is not "forcing". 

I think children should have some say in the activities they want to participate in after school.  Did I really want my daughter in dance?  No, but she wanted to try it.  So we signed her up for it and she loves it.  She wanted to take gymnastics, so we signed her up for it.  Swim lessons are a must, considering that is survival skills.

I'm not one to judge others use of time, nor do I know E's schedule/his wife's schedule.  But, these activities don't occupy that much time per week to be perfectly honest.   She has dance one day a week for 1 hour (was 45 mins when she was a beginner), gymnastics class one day a week for 1.5 hours and swim lessons one day a week for 30-40 mins.

Now when she mentions trying something else, we tell her that she will have to drop an activity or two (excluding swim) depending on what it is and how often it is.  So far, she has not wanted to give up gymnastics or dance to try other stuff.  I just want her to do what she wants to do and be happy.  

We also explained to her that as she gets older and more advanced in these classes, she will need to make a decision if she wants to put the time into it and she would most likely have to drop one.  The advanced gymnastics classes, they train like 3-4 days a week for a couple of hours.  Granted that will be when she is a lot older if she is still doing it.

I do see E's point though, we don't want to be those parents always on the run with 10 different things going on each week, never at home either.

The lower mouth of the Columbia River (my home turf the last 5 years--OR and WA side) is always a beautiful vista, and there's the cool sight of tankers and cargo ships and cruise ships and the big Coast Guard cutters---even a big paddle wheel like so common (at least in the past) on the Mississippi & Missouri---coming and going. And it's very cool when all the fishing boats of various types show up for the big salmon catch days during the season (8-24-28 this year for Chinook salmon--closed early as they set a record this year of over 35,000 caught).

I be eatin.

My wife wants to put our daughter in dance classes, because she likes to dance. I coach soccer, so I want her to play soccer. 

Dance classes are pretty useless. If a 5 year old wants to dance, put some music on in a room and let them move around. Why does it have to be formalized? IMO, her enjoyment of moving around and expressing herself is going to be diminished by some stupid **** telling her what to do. 

Not to mention that those high school dance teams are just like pre-whore training. Might as well put up a pole in the basement like Nelly at that point. 

My wife is a dance teacher, and both my kids dance  :(

It's a shame you can't see past your horrible bias.

Hey, if a kid wants to play soccer, just toss 'em a ball and let them kick it around. why does it have to be formalized?

respect lost.

Hey, if a kid wants to play soccer, just toss 'em a ball and let them kick it around. why does it have to be formalized?

respect lost.

I don't think E meant to be disrespectful and his comment about dancing in high school/stripper pole was him just making a joke.  

I'm sure a lot of dads of little girls don't fully understand how dance classes work at that early age and think it's as simple as turning on music and them wiggling around and shaking their arms and legs.  I know I didn't know what to expect until we signed Tazette up.

At that age, they teach them basic moves and two simple dance routines for the recital.  Which really helps with a lot of their motor skills, memory retention, etc.  Which I know you already know that based off your post.

Structure, discipline, routine, social interaction, following instructions, etc.....a lot of benefits in helping the child develop mentally, socially and physically imo.

respect lost.

look at your horrible bias... Defending something because your wife teaches it and therefore must have redeeming value. ;)

let's defend stamp collecting next. 

I don't think E meant to be disrespectful and his comment about dancing in high school/stripper pole was him just making a joke.  

I'm sure a lot of dads of little girls don't fully understand how dance classes work at that early age and think it's as simple as turning on music and them wiggling around and shaking their arms and legs.  I know I didn't know what to expect until we signed Tazette up.

At that age, they teach them basic moves and two simple dance routines for the recital.  Which really helps with a lot of their motor skills, memory retention, etc.  Which I know you already know that based off your post.

Structure, discipline, routine, social interaction, following instructions, etc.....a lot of benefits in helping the child develop mentally, socially and physically imo.

I know the pole dancing thing was a joke. But i also don't think he understands the training a lot of the girls on dance/cheer teams go through. A lot of them take gymnastics training to learn to do some of those moves. Watching my daughter learn to do a back handspring is nerve wracking. Do it wrong, you could seriously injure yourself.  

Outside of the things you listed, I feel like dance also gives a lot of the girls a boost of confidence. It's not easy to get up on the stage in front of a bunch of strangers. Even more so when there's less than 5 of them.

I always say, if i had a boy, I'd make him take dance. That would give a lot of confidence come middle-school and high school.

he even says :"Fitness, team work, empathy, cause/effect decision making. Not to say those things aren't in dance, but I don't really see it either."

it's simple ignorance.

I know the pole dancing thing was a joke. But i also don't think he understands the training a lot of the girls on dance/cheer teams go through. A lot of them take gymnastics training to learn to do some of those moves. Watching my daughter learn to do a back handspring is nerve wracking. Do it wrong, you could seriously injure yourself.  

Outside of the things you listed, I feel like dance also gives a lot of the girls a boost of confidence. It's not easy to get up on the stage in front of a bunch of strangers. Even more so when there's less than 5 of them.

I always say, if i had a boy, I'd make him take dance. That would give a lot of confidence come middle-school and high school.

Gymnastics does scare me, she's not to the level of doing all that flipping, bars, etc. yet.  No doubt about having to stand up in front of a crowd at recitals.  

Like I said, Tazette was with maybe 8-9 other girls (like 9-10 total in her group) and they are standing on stage in front of about 1200 people watching them.  I think it will help her in the long run.  

The lower mouth of the Columbia River (my home turf the last 5 years--OR and WA side) 

we visited Tri-Cities several times while living in Washington.  Beautiful area there along the Columbia.  I miss the PNW.  Portland is one of the coolest cities I've ever been to.  I liked it better than Seattle, honestly.  Though it's a 1a, 1b type of deal.  We must've driven down to Portland for the weekend at least 6-7 times while living in Seattle.

With ay all the way, young. A lot about Seattle is very cool, but for a smaller city it has big city traffic and other issues, and I really prefer Portland. Seattle is still a jewel though.

I know I'm powerfully influenced by growing up in AK, but I can't get myself to move out of the PacNW though I love traveling when I can (happened much more in the past) and find scenic beauty of one form or another almost everywhere I go.

If I survive long enough to see certain little family members grow up and move elsewhere, my plan is to move to Portland (awesome music and food) and be the old (hopefully) cool guy hangin out at all the cool places and doing jack **** otherwise. 

On another note---very jazzed about seeing how Sesame Street will do with HBO as their home.

my plan is to move to Portland (awesome music and food) and be the old (hopefully) cool guy hangin out at all the cool places and doing jack **** otherwise. 

oh man, I miss them eats!  Have you ever been to Grilled Cheese Grill?  NW Portland, I think.  best grilled cheese I've ever had.  period. ::drool gif::

No but am writing it down. May go tomorrow.  :)

It'll change your life.  make sure you get the tomato soup for dipping.  and just so you know, Grilled Cheese Grill is run out of an old school bus converted to a permanent (it doesn't move) food truck.  So if you pull up looking for a fast food joint and see a bus parked on the corner, you're int he right place   ;)

GCG is "so Portland."  What a weird, interesting city.  

the-grilled-cheese-grill-review-2.jpg

Loving that avi, btw.  Burton is one sick dude.  Banshee is severely underrated.  

oh man, I miss them eats!  Have you ever been to Grilled Cheese Grill?  NW Portland, I think.  best grilled cheese I've ever had.  period. ::drool gif::

Not saying it isn't the best grilled cheese ever.........but I do have to ask.  What makes it the best ever?  What do they make it with, etc.?  That makes it the best.

Thinking traditional grilled cheese sandwiches, it's two pieces of bread, cheese, then toasted on a skillet with butter.  

Archived