Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Make Football an Olympic Sport...please...

RedskinPryde

I play rugby with alot of people from other coutries. They'd never be able to play American football. The reason...too boring, and not enough action. Too much start and go ;) . Those are their actually words btw.

The same Brits who gave us Cricket say these things. :doh:

The same Brits who gave us Cricket say these things. :doh:

Actually, they were from New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, South Africa. Only have had 3 Brits on my team. One from England, the other 2 from Scotland.

And don't forget, Football is americanized Rugby. Brought over from England from a student who went to Bath University over there.

Funny thing about that, I read it in a rugby program in Whales when I visited friends.

No, I'm not comparing football to war. Perhaps you should go back and read. What I am saying is that there are soldiers representing America risking their lives over somewhere, for real... No games, no fun, nothing. They are over there protecting our rights, and defending the very foundation of America...

So why is it that when it comes to athletes we don't want them to COMPETE overseas because they may get hurt? It's ridiculous. It's okay for a soldier to die in a war, but it's not okay for an athlete to injure themselves and miss three weeks time? a months time?

There is no comparison, but the analogy is completely and utterly valid. Soldiers die for our country, but athletes can't play a SIMPLE game for theirs?

Actually, they were from New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, South Africa. Only have had 3 Brits on my team. One from England, the other 2 from Scotland.

And don't forget, Football is americanized Rugby. Brought over from England from a student who went to Bath University over there.

Funny thing about that, I read it in a rugby program in Whales when I visited friends.

I hear it from europeans / foreigners all the time... about how American Football is boring. Pauses in action, etc.

What it boils down to is an ignorance about the sport. For us die-hard fans, the pace of the game is frightening. An offense has just over 30 seconds to assess their situation on the field, the down and distance, the defensive strategy, current personnel, and game setting... call the play, break the huddle, line up in a correct formation, make pre-snap motions and reads, then hike the ball. Then gauge the effectiveness of that play -vs- the defense that was called and compare it to past play calls... then get up and do it all over again.

And the defense has an entire set of it's own challenges and problems to overcome between plays.

To the untrained eye it looks like 11 guys standing around with their thumbs up their :censored:

It is just like when I watch a baseball game, I'm struck by how boring it is. That is because I don't know the intricacies of the sport, and just how complicated it is and how much action is happening between pitches, etc. :2cents:

For a european... if it isn't a sport of perpetual motion i.e. soccer, it's boring and stupid. I call them ignorant and misinformed. :2cents:

I hear it from europeans / foreigners all the time... about how American Football is boring. Pauses in action, etc.

What it boils down to is an ignorance about the sport. For us die-hard fans, the pace of the game is frightening. An offense has just over 30 seconds to assess their situation on the field, the down and distance, the defensive strategy, current personnel, and game setting... call the play, break the huddle, line up in a correct formation, make pre-snap motions and reads, then hike the ball. Then gauge the effectiveness of that play -vs- the defense that was called and compare it to past play calls... then get up and do it all over again.

And the defense has an entire set of it's own challenges and problems to overcome between plays.

To the untrained eye it looks like 11 guys standing around with their thumbs up their :censored:

It is just like when I watch a baseball game, I'm struck by how boring it is. That is because I don't know the intricacies of the sport, and just how complicated it is and how much action is happening between pitches, etc. :2cents:

For a european... if it isn't a sport of perpetual motion i.e. soccer, it's boring and stupid. I call them ignorant and misinformed. :2cents:

I half agree with you. There is alot of strategy involved, but in rugby, that planning which is equally important takes ohh about 3 secs and sometimes quicker. I don't think it's ignorance with alot of them. Also, it wasn't that they didn't like watching it, they just felt playing it would be boring. It is definitely hard going from a sport where you are constantly moving, planning, hitting, etc. to a sport where you plan, hit, then go huddle and plan some more. I've played both, and I can speak first hand on this. I love both, and love playing both, but there is a valid point there. The stop and go thing can get tense and annoying sometimes in a game. But that's what helps add to the charm for some of us.

No, I'm not comparing football to war. Perhaps you should go back and read. What I am saying is that there are soldiers representing America risking their lives over somewhere, for real... No games, no fun, nothing. They are over there protecting our rights, and defending the very foundation of America...

So why is it that when it comes to athletes we don't want them to COMPETE overseas because they may get hurt? It's ridiculous. It's okay for a soldier to die in a war, but it's not okay for an athlete to injure themselves and miss three weeks time? a months time?

There is no comparison, but the analogy is completely and utterly valid. Soldiers die for our country, but athletes can't play a SIMPLE game for theirs?

Ok. Heres why. Football is just a game.

NFL players are playing for millions of dollars and college players are hoping to earn that in the future. They have a limited amount of time to set themselves up for life. Playing in a meaningless game jeopardizes their future income potential. Players are injured every game, sometimes seriously, and injuries affect their future contracts. It is their job. Soldiers dont put their lives in danger for no good reason do they? (Even if you say yes, im just going to come back and say that soldiers are a lot more selfless than pro athletes.)

Ok. Heres why. Football is just a game.

NFL players are playing for millions of dollars and college players are hoping to earn that in the future. They have a limited amount of time to set themselves up for life. Playing in a meaningless game jeopardizes their future income potential. Players are injured every game, sometimes seriously, and injuries affect their future contracts. It is their job. Soldiers dont put their lives in danger for no good reason do they? (Even if you say yes, im just going to come back and say that soldiers are a lot more selfless than pro athletes.)

Football is a game?! No way!

Rugby should be a sport in the Olympics before Football. Rugby used to be an event, but got taken out for insurance reasons I believe. Not to mention EVERY country has a team. Time to let it back in. Besides it's better then the others that have been brought up like...bowling, chess, and golf.

Here, here!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Football is a game?! No way!

Find me a sport where the best athletes are running to compete in the Olympics and I'll show you a sport that doesn't have a lucrative professional league to compensate those athletes.

The Olympics is no longer about the experience. These athletes get paid for winning medals. They get sponsorships by performing on the big stage. It's their chance to make it big. Take away all the glory, all the media, all the sponsors, all the TV coverage and all the prestige and see how many want to go to the Olympics just for the purity of sport. :laugh:

It's not so!

There is no such thing as an untainted amateur. Pure, innocent, and knowing only the high of athletic competition. Please, they're there to try to get paid.

I play rugby with alot of people from other coutries. They'd never be able to play American football. The reason...too boring, and not enough action. Too much start and go ;) . Those are their actually words btw.

Cheers, man! I'm a rugger as well.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was one day at practice at the end we got everyone to play (or attempt to play) American Football...it was so friggin' funny to see these Kiwis and South Africans running around not knowing what the hell was going on!! :laugh: :laugh:

Rugby should be a sport in the Olympics before Football. Rugby used to be an event, but got taken out for insurance reasons I believe. Not to mention EVERY country has a team. Time to let it back in. Besides it's better then the others that have been brought up like...bowling, chess, and golf.

:applause: :applause:

I do not understand rugby like that but I love to see them play it is fun but hard to watch. Bowling should be an event but that is for a different topic.

I would watch Rugby over 3/4 of the games currently in the Olympics, as long as the US was competitive.

Right now, US Rugby is very political in that its kind of an old-boys network and people get selected to the Eagles not because of talent but because of connections. Its a shame, really, because the US could be competitive if they fielded the best team possible, which they don't. As rugby gets rooted more firmly in US culture (its growing at a very fast rate, there are already over 400 college programs nationwide) the team will become better and better. There are just under NFL-caliber atheletes who would dominate on a rugby pitch. They just have not been introduced to the game.

Most fun I've ever had playing a sport...

Find me a sport where the best athletes are running to compete in the Olympics and I'll show you a sport that doesn't have a lucrative professional league to compensate those athletes.

Well, the NBA for one...;) I guess that has kind of dropped off, but for awhile the NBA in the Olympics was a big deal...

The Olympics is no longer about the experience. These athletes get paid for winning medals. They get sponsorships by performing on the big stage. It's their chance to make it big. Take away all the glory, all the media, all the sponsors, all the TV coverage and all the prestige and see how many want to go to the Olympics just for the purity of sport. :laugh:

It's not so!

There is no such thing as an untainted amateur. Pure, innocent, and knowing only the high of athletic competition. Please, they're there to try to get paid.

That's not the case anywhere but the US.

The international stars all choose to play in respective tournaments all the time. They think representing their country is an honor. Examples would be the foreign players in the NBA, NHL and MLB...

I was watching a rugby tournament at Huntington Beach this summer, and god damn, that was fun to watch.

I would love for this to be an olympic sport, but doubt it would be as fun as watching these amateur guys who just wanted to knock the crap out of each other

Well, the NBA for one...;) I guess that has kind of dropped off, but for awhile the NBA in the Olympics was a big deal...

The NBA was a big deal in one Olympiad. Plus, those Dream Teamers got paid to play on the team. ;)

The novelty wore off after the 96 Olympics where the legend wannabe's went just to say they did what Jordan, Barkley, Pippen, Magic,etc did.

I was watching a rugby tournament at Huntington Beach this summer, and god damn, that was fun to watch.

Over the summer -- was it 7s rugby? Or 10s maybe?? Normally they only play 15s in the spring and fall, and play 7s over the summer (a much faster form of rugby with only 7 people per side as compared to 15 in normal rugby).

I would love for this to be an olympic sport, but doubt it would be as fun as watching these amateur guys who just wanted to knock the crap out of each other

Man...watch some pro-rugby...they hit hard as hell!!

Sure football would be fine with me. Just get rid of all those "sports" that need judging. If you can't come up with an objective system to determine a winner, I don't want "judges" telling me who is better. I'm also not thrilled with racing against a clock. Let 'em go mano - mano. Or for that matter womano-womano. Same course at the same time.

OK. After watching the winter olympics so far this year, some of the stuff in there is actually pretty cool and interesting. But, I think the world needs alot more competitive sports then Sleding and Curling. Jeez. I mean Curling is the most ridiculus thing ive ever seen in the Olympics. People can actualy win gold medals for doing that stuff. You slide a rock to a target and have your teammates scrub the floor infront of the rock while its moving. It sounds more like a punishment to me. The Winter Olympics are running out of sports and they need to put Football in the Olympics, The Real Sport. :logo:

It would most likely be a summer olympic sport

Isn't there already a football competition in the summer version of the Olympic Games? Most call it soccer, and from what I understand, it is only open to players 21yo and younger, with an exemption to allow three older players to provide some experience.

If this isn't the case, then I wonder what our Olyroos kids really train for.

Sure football would be fine with me. Just get rid of all those "sports" that need judging. If you can't come up with an objective system to determine a winner, I don't want "judges" telling me who is better. I'm also not thrilled with racing against a clock. Let 'em go mano - mano. Or for that matter womano-womano. Same course at the same time.

Football refereeing is not objective and we all know how that can effect the outcome of a game.

Actually watching the "pros" is AWESOME. Some of the hardest hits, and most heart I've ever seen in a sport. Plus, limited substitutions, so many players have to get bandaged up and sent back on the field.

Archived