Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Long distance relationship, anyone?

dks1240

So my boyfriend and I are toughing out the longest we will have ever been apart (about 7 weeks) and I was just curious as to if any of you have ever been in or are in a serious long distance relationship? What's the longest you've been apart from your significant other? How'd you two make it work? ...or maybe you couldn't make it work?

Don't do the long distance thing unless you're positive you can do it. The reason I have my girlfriend now is because she goes to school with me, and she wasn't able to stay in a relationship while her boyfriend was at UMD. I actually know another girl here who has sucessfully maintained a relationship through this school year, though.

By the way, are you at SU?

Both my roommates are in long-distance relationships and so is my sister. All three relationships are doing fine. Talk often on the phone, and save up money to visit once in a while seems to be the trick. I have no personal experience with it, however.

Don't do the long distance thing unless you're positive you can do it. The reason I have my girlfriend now is because she goes to school with me, and she wasn't able to stay in a relationship while her boyfriend was at UMD. I actually know another girl here who has sucessfully maintained a relationship through this school year, though.

By the way, are you at SU?

just graduated from salisbury and still here working.

and i'm pretty postive my boyfriend and i will be fine, we've lasted a year apart thus far and only have 3 more months to go till he finishes school.

I was in a long-distance relationship once.

She was in Dallas, Texas.

I was in Raleigh,NC.

It was an AWESOME long-distance relationship.

It was awesome because at the time, we BOTH worked for the airlines, so we could each fly for free, back and forth, to see each other.

And sometimes we'd even meet halfway between.

But that probably doesnt help you :doh:

Ah yes, the "Great One" of my past was semi-long distance. We started off in HS and then the summer after graduation, of course.

Then college came and things were actually good for awhile. I can't even say really that it was DISTANCE that did the relationship in. It was probably just age (19.5 when it was 'over.') I don't like to counsel people on those types of relationships because I feel that often there are other factors at work. There are people all over who have had successful long distance relationships or worked for some time before bringing their wife and kids over to America.

So my boyfriend and I are toughing out the longest we will have ever been apart (about 7 weeks) and I was just curious as to if any of you have ever been in or are in a serious long distance relationship? What's the longest you've been apart from your significant other? How'd you two make it work? ...or maybe you couldn't make it work?

Yes, it can work. My parents live in different states because of their jobs, and they still have a happy and loving marriage.

You'll be seeing him in a few weeks, and it will make your relationship stronger in the longrun when you go through something like this. :)

look down west college ave, cape cod house with the giant skins flag. that's me. :D possible party this weekend, ill keep you posted :cheers:

back to thread...

isnt that kind of dangerous for a girl to advertise her residential address on the world-wide web ?.....just watchin out for ya ;)

isnt that kind of dangerous for a girl to advertise her residential address on the world-wide web ?.....just watchin out for ya ;)

anyone who put in about 2% of effort could find out where i live with instant messanger and facebook...not too worried about it, plus im moving out shortly.

but just to clarify, my boyfriend and i are doing fine (sorry to disappoint some of you :D...kidding, kidding) :)

I met my wife in August of 1999. Faith is from Boston and I was living in Bethesda, Md. at the time. We were engaged in January 2000 and in July we got married. For 11 mos we were flying back and forth. We saw each other as often as possibe, however it did help that US Airways had a shuttle between the two cities that was around 120 round trip. Of course nowadays you can find Air Tran rates at $39-59 (one way).

oops, sorry. I thought that was an invitation. :D

Seriously though. I had one. It didn't work so well. After a while talking on the phone a lot gets kind of old.

I was in one and I'll never do it again, nor will I recommend it to anyone. She was in Texas going to school and I was in the Army out in Hawaii. We'd see each other once a year and talk on the phone alot. We did that for about 2 1/2 years. Once I got out of the Army, I moved to Texas to be with her. A few days after I got there, she told me she had screwed around on me. I on the other hand had been 100% faithful.I was stupid and stuck around trying to make it work, but the relationship was damaged. The trust was gone and she did nothing to try and earn my trust back. We were on again off again for about two years until we called it quits. I stayed in Texas for a few more years until one day I told myself to get the hell out of Austin and moved back to Pa. When I left we both realized there were still strong feelings for each other. This time she said she was moving to Pa as well, so we did a long distance thing again becaause she was supposed to be moving and we'd be starting over away from Texas, a place filled with bad memories. She started lying again, she wasn't going to be moving to Pa, instead, tried to get me to move back to Texas. I called it quits for good after that.

in college senior year we were apart except for the breaks.

you will realize that being so young (21) has more to do with these types of relationships. as you get older you don't do long distance.

it gives a false sense of reality because everytime you see each other is a vacation and not the day to day drudgery of marriage.

in your case since you knew each other before it won't be as bad. but the truth is the younger you are the greater chances of divorce- don't rush into anything :cool:

My wife and I spent a year and change apart before we were married. She stayed in Ohio to finish college and I moved to Florida due to a job transfer. It wasn't always easy but we trusted each other and it made all the difference. She would fly in once a month or every 6 weeks or so and then before we knew it, she graduated, moved down here and got hitched. It worked because we wanted it to work and that's what really counts.

Good luck with your relationship Dana.

Personally it wouldnt work for me.

One thing I think will change is obviously the amount of time you spend together, that may be a good thing, or it may change your relationship too much (being that your me time is somewhat diminished). Only time will tell.

Pez and I had a long distance relationship for awhile. I lived in SC and he lived here. It was hard at times but it worked out as you can see since we are going on our 7 year anniversary. It depends on how much both parties want it to work and how much effort you are willing to put into it.

For me it didn't work.

My wife and I dated for 3 months and then I moved away, where we did the long distance thing for an entire year.

We never doubted that it would work... even though everyone we talked to said it was impossible.

If you love the person and you are truly meant to be together, it will happen. Don't worry what anyone else says. :2cents:

Archived