Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Long distance relationship, anyone?

dks1240

I had one long-distance relationship. I lived in DC and she lived in NYC. Lots of talking on the phone and periodic visits by me up to NY. Interspersed we occasionally met somewhere in between (e.g., at a B&B in Cape May or in PA). After a year and a half she moved down to DC. We have been happily married now for 10+ years. :)

I've never attempted one. I have broken up with two guys because they were moving to other locations (one moved out of the country). Why keep the relationship going if you are moving and not planning on coming back and I don't plan on moving to be with you? Anyway, I have a friend now who is doing it...he lives here and his girlfriend is in Florida. They've been 'together' for almost a year. In that year, they have only spent a couple of weekends together (here and in Florida) and various holidays. They've broken up twice, but are now back together. If things work out, he is planning on moving down there in September.

I guess it just depends on your level of commitment, history with your sig. other and future plans. I hope everything works out for you.

I was in one for 4 years. Basically all through undergrad. The longest we didn't see each other was 3 months. That 3 month period also caused our split up. I think we both realized that we weren't ready for anything more and decided to go our separate ways. Ha, I've been married for 8 years and she's working on her third marriage. I ruined her. :)

So my boyfriend and I are toughing out the longest we will have ever been apart (about 7 weeks) and I was just curious as to if any of you have ever been in or are in a serious long distance relationship? What's the longest you've been apart from your significant other? How'd you two make it work? ...or maybe you couldn't make it work?

I had a two year long distance relationship while I was in Law School. She was in Boston and I was in Michigan. It was hell. We got together as often as we could for weekends, and lived toegther during the summer in between, but it still sucked. Most of my friends who had such relationships didn't make it.

On the other hand, we have been happily married since 1992, so it can work out. :cheers:

Archived