Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What thoughts go thru your head when you see the Confederate flag?

Thanos

None at all. That is exactly my point.

Some people that fly the flag are racists. Others are not. Some who see the flag as a symbol of racism are themselves guilty of bias and prejudice towards southerners, and use the flag as a way to demonize and belittle them without regard to the real reason they may be flying the flag.

That's a pretty fair assessment of the situation. I mean, when I see the flag, I think of slavery and racism, but I know not all Southerners believe in those things. I can just see how pride in that flag would propogate an image of the Racist South.

None at all. That is exactly my point.

Some people that fly the flag are racists. Others are not. Some who see the flag as a symbol of racism are themselves guilty of bias and prejudice towards southerners, and use the flag as a way to demonize and belittle them without regard to the real reason they may be flying the flag.

And some people who fly the flag are racists and use the flag as a symbol of their ideology.. So really what's your point? Some people can be anything at all.

And some people who fly the flag are racists and use the flag as a symbol of their ideology.. So really what's your point? Some people can be anything at all.

Some people who fly the american flag use it to promote racism, as seen with pic posted within this thread.

The point is, you really don't know what anything means to an individual unless you ask them.

Its' a shame that the KKK uses the rebel flag for their purposes, but as shown, they also use the american flag for the same purpose.

If I walk into FedEx waving a white flag with a blue and silver star in the middle of it, people will assume that I am a Dallas Cowboys fan. It is likely that they will react accordingly and I will not like the reaction.

They may be wrong in their assumption, but that is simply reality. It will not help much if I try to explain to the handful of people around me that I went to a high school in Paducah that was called the "Stars", that I'm just proud of my high school, that in Paducah no one associates the Stars flag with the Dallas Cowboys, and that I'm really a die hard Redskins fan. The other 89,995 people are going to going to think what they think.

So - I have to decide if I am comfortable with the message that ACTUALLY is going out to those people, not just whether I am TRYING to send that message. If I can be proud of my highschcool in other ways, it may not be necessary for me to use this particular symbol that is clearly subject to misinterpretation by many.

ps - of course this is an exaggerated example. Don't bother to point that out.

I think it's a bit funny why people get so worked up about what a symbol represents to someone else.

I wonder if you guys realize that you cannot change that type of thing.

In addition, who really cares if there are people in any region of this country who are ignorant enough to still be racist? If they want to live that type of life, F them...who cares about 'em?

I think it's a bit funny why people get so worked up about what a symbol represents to someone else.

In addition, who really cares if there are people in any region of this country who are ignorant enough to still be racist? If they want to live that type of life, F them...who cares about 'em?

You could be right, you could be wrong - either way my problem has nothing to do with racism.

Go ahead, you're obviously a skins fan too so it wouldn't make much sense. Just leave the late, great Hedberg alone.

And it was really more of an insult of Chopper Dave than the late, great Hedberg...all I did was quote him.

And it really wasn't an insult of anyone. Apparently some members have a thin skin and a short fuse...perhaps they should relax!

Some people who fly the american flag use it to promote racism, as seen with pic posted within this thread.

The point is, you really don't know what anything means to an individual unless you ask them.

Its' a shame that the KKK uses the rebel flag for their purposes, but as shown, they also use the american flag for the same purpose.

And people also realize that historically the American flag did not represent the KKK/Racism/or the breaking of the Union. Since when are symbols defined by the specific individual circumstance rather than the history of them(and not revisionist history) as a whole?

We're in this thread to argue. You're not. Why are you here?

And it was really more of an insult of Chopper Dave than the late, great Hedberg...all I did was quote him.

And it really wasn't an insult of anyone. Apparently some members have a thin skin and a short fuse.

I'm not really that upset - just talking ****.

But, don't let it happen again.

And it really wasn't an insult of anyone. Apparently some members have a thin skin and a short fuse.

Well, the real problem is that there is another poster and who says the same thing to Chopper Dave all the time in between gratutitous insults. Dave reacted to you because of the history there. Hope you understand.

Well, the real problem is that there is another poster and who says the same thing to Chopper Dave all the time in between gratutitous insults. Dave reacted to you because of the history there. Hope you understand.

Excuse me? When do i always say the same thing to Dave? We agree on a few things, including Hedberg, so sometimes we have a dialogue. When did i EVER insult ANYBODY on this board? Please point it out.

Earlier in this thread i referred to people who wave the rebel flags as rednecks - i was called on it. I apoligized - twice.

So check it out, one of my best friends was killed by a bunch of baggy pants wearing black thugs in DC. So I guess I should hate every black person who wears baggy pants? I'm sickened by your loss but the flag didn't kill your grandfather the idiots in the robes did. I don't hate every black person but I want the ones who did this to my friend to rot in hell.

Based on this line of thought, no Jewish person should ever be offened by a Swatiska, because it wasn't the symbol that sent them to the camps, it was the Germans.

Excuse me? When do i always say the same thing to Dave? We agree on a few things, including Hedberg, so sometimes we have a dialogue. When did i EVER insult ANYBODY on this board? Please point it out.

Earlier in this thread i referred to people who wave the rebel flags as rednecks - i was called on it. I apoligized - twice.

Not you, doofus. :silly:

Dave blew up because the drifting comment was eerily similar to a nelms diatribe.

Everybody love you , sugah ;)

Based on this line of thought, no Jewish person should ever be offened by a Swatiska, because it wasn't the symbol that sent them to the camps, it was the Germans.

Yeah, but going by the 'the Rebel flag symbolizes are heritage' line of thought, you could argue that a German wearing a Swatiska is just celebrating their heritage.

Here's the question I have-

If a person flies the flag on the Confederacy, do THEY get to decide what it means to them? Or is that decision making power designated to those it may offend?

And if the latter, does that rule apply across the board?

For certain symbols, it is obviously with those it may offend. Very few would disagree or at least fail to sympathize with emotions raised in Jews and modern society by any representation of Nazi symbols. And yet many would insist that the Confederate flag, used for many of the same purposes that the Swastika was used for, is somehow separate from the minds that use and endorse it.

As for a common rule, the Confederate flag and its supporters would seem to violate it. Most civilized countries, and even a majority in this country, would not support a symbol of a dead ideology based on so much death and destruction. Yet the Confederacy is not only tolerated in the US, it is supported and praised in certain areas.

We're in this thread to argue. You're not. Why are you here?

Mostly to learn something about other peoples' beliefs and maybe pick up a history lesson or two (which obviously won't be happening it appears).

I only "argue" on here when there's a point and/or I have a strong feeling one way or the other.

Thanks for the post though. :laugh:

These are the pics I think code is refering to that I posted earlier in the thread. The first two are from 1923 & 1925. I don't know when the kkk went to the Confederate flag, but they obviously did so hoping to get under more people's skin. It has obviously been a huge success for them. Everybody who allows there chosen symbol to get to them is conceding defeat to a bunch of spineless maggots who deserve nothing more than to be taken out and shot.

I'm sure they appreciate it.

klan1923.jpg

klan1925.jpg

klanpat.jpg

klan1960.jpg

QUOTE]

Archived