Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What thoughts go thru your head when you see the Confederate flag?

Thanos

There is a HUGE difference....for the record it makes me think of the south, and it is NOT a symbol of racism, some just perceive it to be that way but at the same time people flaunt it in that way

There weren't many Blacks who lived in the South from the post-Civil War period up until the late sixties who would agree with you. It is very easy to dismiss the effects of living under the conditions created by the mindset that flag represented if you weren't targeted by it, or too young to appreciate the consequences from it.

You seem to mix up the two, although the klan was formed by an ex Confederate general, Nathan Bedford Forrest.

To a lot of folks in the war, the common soldier, it was just about someone coming to take over their lands or their way of life.

The Nazi analogy is off base

To the common German soldier of WWII, it was just about defending your perception of what you wanted your life to be. As with the Confederacy.

The Nazis were just more efficient in their methods.

The is not a single Black person who lived in the South from the post-Civil War period up until the late sixties who would agree with you. It is very easy to dismiss the effects of living under the conditions created by the mindset that flag represented if you weren't targeted by it, or too young to appreciate the consequences from it.

Then why did they March in support of the flag?

The is not a single Black person who lived in the South from the post-Civil War period up until the late sixties who would agree with you. It is very easy to dismiss the effects of living under the conditions created by the mindset that flag represented if you weren't targeted by it, or too young to appreciate the consequences from it.

Bold assertion Waldo. I mentioned earlier in here that while in the Army I had a soldier in my platoon. He was a Jim Beam drinking, Kodiak chewing, country music singing, Confederate flag flying.............BLACK MAN. If you can call a black man a redneck, then that is what is was.

Bold assertion Waldo. I mentioned earlier in here that while in the Army I had a soldier in my platoon. He was a Jim Beam drinking, Kodiak chewing, country music singing, Confederate flag flying.............BLACK MAN. If you can call a black man a redneck, then that is what is was.

And the Nazis recruited Jews to aid and assist in rounding up the victims for the gas chambers. Does that make the Nazis somehow less responsible?

There weren't many Blacks who lived in the South from the post-Civil War period up until the late sixties who would agree with you. It is very easy to dismiss the effects of living under the conditions created by the mindset that flag represented if you weren't targeted by it, or too young to appreciate the consequences from it.

Obviously, the all inclusive wording of the post is hindering some from the basic message. Edit.

Please point out the March of Blacks supporting the Confederate flag during the time period I mentioned. I obviously missed that.

I saw it with my own two eyes a few years back when they were trying to get rid of the flag in SC. People of all races and an equal number of each marched to keep it! Plus my neighbor from there signed the petition to keep it!

news1.jpg:(

Self-proclaimed 'black Confederate' walking 'path to peace, racial reconciliation'

By RICHARD WALKER, T&D Staff Writer and DONNA L. HOLMAN, T&D Correspondent

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Carrying his Confederate flag, one North Carolinian who passed through Orangeburg Tuesday says he has a vision that some day all Americans will be enlightened to the truth.

Having made marches across many sections of the country previously during his "March to the Sea" that has a dual purpose, H.K. Edgerton said he is proud to be a black Confederate American.

"On this particular trip, I am on my way to the burial (Hunley funeral) in Charleston," Edgerton said. "We are raising funds for heritage defense for the Southern Legal Resource Center, a non-profit civil rights law firm that fights heritage violations against the Christian Cross of St. Andrew."

The former president of the Asheville Chapter of the NAACP set out on March 13 for the nearly 300-mile walk from his mountain-region home to Charleston in an effort to honor the sailors who died aboard the H.L. Hunley, and to bring awareness to myths concerning the War of 1861.

More than 30,000 people are expected to converge on South Carolina's most historic city April 17 for what's being called the last funeral of the Civil War. Historians and Southerners alike will lay to rest the crew of the H.L. Hunley, the first submarine in history to sink a warship in combat.

Edgerton admits the sight of a black man carrying a Confederate battle flag generates plenty of chances for conversation. But the 56-year-old sees these discussions as opportunities for correcting myths currently being taught about the Confederacy and its causes.

"I can tell the complexion of any community when I walk through it by the reaction of its people, and I can tell you right now that here in Orangeburg, y'all need a lot of talking to," Edgerton said.

Terry Lee Edgerton says of his brother's crusade that the public at large has been educated by a biased Northern viewpoint to cover atrocities committed against a peaceful Southern people.

"There's a war in America that ain't ever been settled up on," Terry Lee Edgerton said. "There's a lot of ill feelings still out there. The Civil War, or the War of Secession, or the War between the States, is one war that we should stay home and get right before we go meddling in somebody else's business. Because until we get that right, we won't have the harmony. Once we get that settled up on and that taken care of, America can become great."

Of his travels through South Carolina, Edgerton says overall he's received a warm reception, but in Orangeburg in particular, he said he has recognized a definite passionate feeling about the flag. Edgerton says its "too bad that most of our babies don't know who they are and don't know who their families are and that's both black and white."

"Black folks earned a place of honor and dignity under this flag," Edgerton said. "Most Southerners have been beat down about their 'Southernness' and especially about the cross of St. Andrew that I carry very proudly here."

Two curious females along Edgerton's path on U.S. 178 questioned the reasons behind the march, to them a "shocking sight."

"I was concerned and needed to know why I am looking out my door and seeing a black man carrying this flag," Orangeburg resident Lynneze Thompson said. "I needed to understand what was going on, and he (Terry Lee Edgerton) enlightened me."

Agreeing with her neighbor, Loretta Bookard said "it piques your curiosity." Holding a newspaper pointing out Northern myths, Bookard added, "I'm interested in finding out more about our history."

Edgerton has rallied in defense of the flag in several Southern cities, including Atlanta and Columbia, where the flag atop the State House led to an NAACP tourism boycott.

However, the Confederate battle flag, Edgerton said, is a Christian battle flag patterned after St. Andrew, Jesus' first disciple, who when faced with crucifixion begged to be nailed to an X-shaped cross because he was not worthy of being crucified on a cross like that of Jesus.

Local members of various Sons of the Confederate Veterans camps accompanied Edgerton through Orangeburg County Tuesday. The trek is scheduled to end on April 12 or 13.

Of his recent 1,600-mile "Walk Across Dixie" from Asheville to Austin, Tex., Edgerton wrote, "I am convinced that we must come to terms with and learn from the past. White Southerners have a legacy of heroism from the war that should not be buried. Black Southerners earned a place of dignity during the war, and they have a legacy of honor that they need to reclaim. I found in my journey that while these lessons may be lost upon the cities of the New South, the path to peace and racial reconciliation still lies along the dusty back roads of Dixie."

http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2004/04/07/news/news1.txt

So check it out, one of my best friends was killed by a bunch of baggy pants wearing black thugs in DC. So I guess I should hate every black person who wears baggy pants? I'm sickened by your loss but the flag didn't kill your grandfather the idiots in the robes did. I don't hate every black person but I want the ones who did this to my friend to rot in hell.

No, if a bunch of black people wearing baggy pants killed someone, you do not hate all blacks wearing baggy pants.

But if people belonging to a certain organization, one that believes that your race is inferior, believes that they have the right to beat you for whatever whim strikes them, to seize you property, seize you belongings, kill you while forcing your family to watch as an example, to remind you on an almost daily basis that you existence, and the existence of your loved ones, will continue based on their sufferance, all under a symbol of a failed culture that once enslaved you, a culture they were willling to die for, then yes, one tend to have a great deal of hate for such a culture and it symbolism. Especially when you have seen the results of such a culture.

I saw it with my own two eyes a few years back when they were trying to get rid of the flag in SC. People of all races and an equal number of each marched to keep it! Plus my neighbor from there signed the petition to keep it!

Funny, but thought I mentioned the period from post-Civil War until the late '60s. You, know that period of burnings and lynchings and bombings, actual deaths and stuff.

You can't possiblity compare that to a bunch of nuts who view the flag as a pretty bunch of colors.

Again, based on my post, what march?

I grew up in the south- but when reading about the Civil War always rooted for the Yankees. To this day watching "Glory" or "Cold Mountain" I am happy when the Rebels are killed.

Not only because they nearly destroyed the United States- thus inalterably changing history.

But also because at heart the Confederacy was an evil institution. Not least because of slavery, but even the economic system regarding whites was evil as well. It is good that the rebellion was destroyed.

I can understand giving credit to southern feats of arms, they were an unbelievable army. At the same time, to glorify them as some kind of valiant gentlemen is to condone the egregious cause they were fighting for. It would be like celebrating the German Wehrmacht..

I grew up in the south- but when reading about the Civil War always rooted for the Yankees. To this day watching "Glory" or "Cold Mountain" I am happy when the Rebels are killed.

Not only because they nearly destroyed the United States- thus inalterably changing history.

But also because at heart the Confederacy was an evil institution. Not least because of slavery, but even the economic system regarding whites was evil as well. It is good that the rebellion was destroyed.

I can understand giving credit to southern feats of arms, they were an unbelievable army. At the same time, to glorify them as some kind of valiant gentlemen is to condone the egregious cause they were fighting for. It would be like celebrating the German Wehrmacht..

Wow, i agree with AFC. Now if only i could convince him to get rid of his gun. ;)

Well, the real problem is that there is another poster and who says the same thing to Chopper Dave all the time in between gratutitous insults. Dave reacted to you because of the history there. Hope you understand.

Actually, it's hokie4redskins, I think. I dunno. They're all the same at this point. Just childish fools who really have no place making contact with intelligent humans.

And the blacks that fought for the Confederacy?

And the blacks that fought for the Confederacy?

And the Jews that served as guards in concentration camps (The Grey Zone, I think the movie was called, presents that story in an interesting light)? Human history is filled with people that appeared to do things counter to their best interests. Its what makes us such a wacky species. Guess what, there were people in the American Colonies that "gasp" fought against their American brothers for the British. One group of blacks that fought for the Confederacy does not point to the lack of racism on the part of the Confederacy (not that the North was guilt free). But last time I checked, the North had a regiment of black soldiers... the South never had such a thing. Therefore, unless you can show in what capacity these blacks fought for the Confederacy, whether they believed in the causes of the Confederacy or were willing to swear allegiance to the state in case of victory, that the Confederacy was going to end slavery after the Civil War, then your statement is but kind of nothing more than a trivial fact, not some great illumination of wisdom pointing to the racial harmony of the Confederacy.

Archived