Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What thoughts go thru your head when you see the Confederate flag?

Thanos

Hey bro I don't fly that flag because it offends too many people.

You live in FLA, right? You don't get sick of people associating the South with racism?

Not really. I'm not from FL originally, and the part of FL I'm from isn't really the South, per se.

And honestly, even though you don't fly it, some people still do, so you know what? I really don't care if people associate the South with racism. That flag is vile in what it represents.

Just an assumption. Probably not far off considering the position of the people posting on this thread. Good job picking out 1/50th of that post. Any thoughts on the rest of it?

My assumption is that there are alot of people on the other side of the fence that aren't willing to get into this discussion, thus it seems like one side is overwhelming.

Im not making an assumption about their motives. Read my last sentence.

Seems to me that most people that I know, and most of the people posting on this thread see the rebel flag as being associated with racism.

Hey, if you want to fly the rebel flag, go right ahead. Just understand that SOME people are going to automatically label you as a racist. (Is "some" an acceptable number?)

Im not making an assumption about their motives. Read my last sentence.

Seems to me that most people that I know, and most of the people posting on this thread see the rebel flag as being associated with racism.

Hey, if you want to fly the rebel flag, go right ahead. Just understand that SOME people are going to automatically label you as a racist. (Is "some" an acceptable number?)

Your second paragraph is perfect. Just understand that SOME people (specifically those who automatically associate a person flying the flag with racisim) are themselves guilty of prejudice.

Your second paragraph is perfect. Just understand that SOME people (specifically those who automatically associate a person flying the flag with racisim) are themselves guilty of prejudice.

Well, if you are going to use the word prejudice so literally - you are prejudice to if you feel people are flying it to support their southern heritage.

In that case prejudice isn't such a bad trait, just human nature. Racism on the other hand is an ugly, ugly thing - idiotic too.

True. But as evidenced in this thread, I'm not the only one that feels that way. Tons of people do.

I'm sure tons of people do, but as I posted before, I know there are tons that don't.

It's a very slippery and controversial topic, but I think many within this thread have been talking about absolutes and I don't think there are any.

Is Zakk Wylde a racist and proponent of slavery because one of his guitars has a rebel flag on it?

Fair enough.

Maybe its just my experiences that are coloring my opinions. I went to school in West Virginia. And a much as that places rep is far worse than the reality I did meet a handful of people that were honest to god racists. They thought that since im white, they could spout off about it and they assumed i would agree. I mean, really vile, hateful stuff, N-bombs, Sand N******, all that ignorance.

Invariably these individuals sported the rebel flag proudly, often in the form of tatoos.

But hey, thats just my experience.

I'm sure tons of people do, but as I posted before, I know there are tons that don't.

It's a very slippery and controversial topic, but I think many within this thread have been talking about absolutes and I don't think there are any.

Is Zakk Wylde a racist and proponent of slavery because one of his guitars has a rebel flag on it?

No. I'm not saying that the people who fly the flags are racist, even. I'm just saying that racism and slavery are what I and many people think of when we see the flag, and therefore the stigma of the Racist South won't die until that flag does.

Then I'll rephrase.

People assuming that others flying the flag are racists, are themselves bigots and prejudicial and racist.

Not necessarily. Or do you happen to know the circumstance and background of every individual who feels that way?

In others words, as you like to say:

Do you have any evidence to back that up?

I went to school in West Virginia. And a much as that places rep is far worse than the reality I did meet a handful of people that were honest to god racists. They thought that since im white, they could spout off about it and they assumed i would agree. I mean, really vile, hateful stuff, N-bombs, Sand N******, all that ignorance.

Hanging out around the KA house, it sounds like. :)

No. I'm not saying that the people who fly the flags are racist, even. I'm just saying that racism and slavery are what I and many people think of when we see the flag, and therefore the stigma of the Racist South won't die until that flag does.

I certainly agree that many people do have negative thoughts when they see the rebel flag, however, understand, there are many, maybe just as many who don't.

Fair enough.

Maybe its just my experiences that are coloring my opinions. I went to school in West Virginia. And a much as that places rep is far worse than the reality I did meet a handful of people that were honest to god racists. They thought that since im white, they could spout off about it and they assumed i would agree. I mean, really vile, hateful stuff, N-bombs, Sand N******, all that ignorance.

Invariably these individuals sported the rebel flag proudly, often in the form of tatoos.

Sounds like you were either around the KA House or the bouncers at Lady G's. :)

Fair enough.

No, they were just racists who happened to also be proud of their heritage. Two mutually exclusive things. Neither one had anything to do with the other.

Not necessarily. Or do you happen to know the circumstance and background of every individual who feels that way?

In others words, as you like to say:

Do you have any evidence to back that up?

None at all. That is exactly my point.

Some people that fly the flag are racists. Others are not. Some who see the flag as a symbol of racism are themselves guilty of bias and prejudice towards southerners, and use the flag as a way to demonize and belittle them without regard to the real reason they may be flying the flag.

Archived