Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New York Post: Arrington will re-do his contract

Mark

http://www.nypost.com/sports/59428.htm

Interesting tibid on the Skins in NY Post. (Click link for the whole article although it mostly about NY teams.)

I guess if LaVar wants to stay with this coaching staff it means he realized that coaches weren't all that wrong when they benched him and/or limited his playing time and the team moving in the right direction. Better later then never.

Oakland and D.C. sources tell The Post that there were two big reasons Al Saunders shocked the NFL world and took the Washington offensive coordinator job instead of the Raiders' head-coaching vacancy that was his for the taking. Avoiding working for Al Davis was a bonus, as was the $2 million annual salary that Washington paid him. Saunders wasn't likely to get much more than that to run the Raiders.

The Post also has learned that linebacker LaVar Arrington is willing to do anything within his power to remain a Redskin. He's already told the club that he'd re-do his contract, if necessary.

Multiple Skins players believe they're a "tall, No. 2 receiver" away from being a big-time Super Bowl threat. They clearly need to give dangerous former Jet Santana Moss a little help.

The Skins are going to be more than $15 million over the cap, meaning defensive backs like Matt Bowen and Walt Harris and kicker John Hall are all in jeopardy of being cap casualties.

Avoiding Al Davis. :laugh: Good one. And a good reason to go along with having the opportunity to coach with Joe Gibbs and the 2 million other ones. :)

Arrington. Hmmm. All kinds of back and forth on that one. Did he say that or didn't he? Sigh. Going to be a long offseason.

Ah. There we go. Wouldn't be the offseason, ( Redskins), without the obligatory Redskins will be in cap hell this year story.

That's good information, if it's accurate. If we can keep Lavar, and if he really busts his butt this offseason, I'd like to see what kind of year he could have next year. I remember how awesome Wilbur Marshall was for us during the third Super Bowl year. Just imagine if Lavar could play that role for us next year. A healthy Arrington, Daniels, Taylor, Washington, Rogers, Springs, Griffin, Salavea......add a player or two, and we are scary to play against.

No real scoop here ... Arrington has been saying that on Comcast and on the John Thompson show for several weeks now. The ball is in the Redskins' court to determine what they want to do with him. I still figure it would be cheaper to keep him and have him redo his contract to make his roster bonus a signing bonus than it would be to cut him, even after June 1st. I truly doubt any team would trade for him given his current contract and the NFL rules that say that a player can only renegotiate a contract if the terms end up better for the player.

It also shows that Arrington is smart because he stands to earn more by being with the Redskins than he does going elsewhere because there are questions regarding his knee and his overall willingness to play within a defense. If the Redskins cut him he doesn't get any $$$ and must sign somewhere else based on his current market value. The Redskins get hit with huge salary cap dollars.

If we keep him, he is still earning money based on how he played pre-injury (pro bowler) and his image pre-Gibbs (face of the Redskins).

No real scoop here ... Arrington has been saying that on Comcast and on the John Thompson show for several weeks now. The ball is in the Redskins' court to determine what they want to do with him. I still figure it would be cheaper to keep him and have him redo his contract to make his roster bonus a signing bonus than it would be to cut him, even after June 1st. I truly doubt any team would trade for him given his current contract and the NFL rules that say that a player can only renegotiate a contract if the terms end up better for the player.

I disagree Bnacpa a little bit. My question to Arrington is what is the definition of restructure? If the skins want to eliminate the roster bonus altogether from the contract would Arrington agree to that restructure? Simply spreading the same money out over more years (or something similar) is not the answer. His overall contract needs to be reduced. Money needs to taken from the contract (not given back of course). The roster bonus is the perfect amount. I like Arrington and hope he stays, but he has not earned the money the skins are paying him. What is Arrington willing to sacrifice is the real question.

I agree with Fred Jones. The question is, what is LA willing to give up? to remain part of a team that may very well be SB contenders for years to come. I know that 99% of the time it's all about the $$, but the $ will still be there for him one way or another..and winning 2 or 3 Lombardi's would probably put a couple of bucks in his pocket..no?

http://www.nypost.com/sports/59428.htm

Interesting tibid on the Skins in NY Post. (Click link for the whole article although it mostly about NY teams.)

I guess if LaVar wants to stay with this coaching staff it means he realized that coaches weren't all that wrong when they benched him and/or limited his playing time and the team moving in the right direction. Better later then never.

Here we go. More Lavar controversy. Lets wait and see how it plays out in the off season.

LA has been through so much... he's never given up on the Skins and I hope the Skins don't give up on him. Sure, he's over paid in light of his performance. But he was paid that money for good reasons. Unfortunately, injuries kept him from performing.

I know and can see in his face that LA knows this team is on to something BIG. He wants to be a part of it. And since he's stuck it out through some tough times--terrible seasons, coaching staff changes on a yearly basis, Loss after loss after loss--he deserves to be a part of this team when it starts to get better.

No matter what anyone says, he IS a part of the positive changes going on right now. His attitude is great and he keeps everyone's morale up.

Like the whole "Gregg Williams Might Leave" BS we went through, I hope that the Redskins put this issue to rest very soon and say that LA is staying.

I disagree Bnacpa a little bit. My question to Arrington is what is the definition of restructure? If the skins want to eliminate the roster bonus altogether from the contract would Arrington agree to that restructure? Simply spreading the same money out over more years (or something similar) is not the answer. His overall contract needs to be reduced. Money needs to taken from the contract (not given back of course). The roster bonus is the perfect amount. I like Arrington and hope he stays, but he has not earned the money the skins are paying him. What is Arrington willing to sacrifice is the real question.

I see what you are saying. If you came down with an illness and missed a year of work, then came back and couldn't perform at 100% until you were fully healed, would you rework your salary? Lavar doesn't have to do anything. He could continue his career on another team and take what the Redksins owe him. Instead he is willing to make it work for both sides. In these days of hold outs and lockouts it is refreshing to see a player with an old school mentality. One who knows he is a part of something special and is willing to work to stay. The fact that a player wants to win more than make money is astounding in today's sporting world.

The Post also has learned that linebacker LaVar Arrington is willing to do anything within his power to remain a Redskin. He's already told the club that he'd re-do his contract, if necessary.

As others have said, his BASE salary has to be reduced not the impending massive cap hit being pushed back for another x amount of years.

Multiple Skins players believe they're a "tall, No. 2 receiver" away from being a big-time Super Bowl threat. They clearly need to give dangerous former Jet Santana Moss a little help.

Deja va all over again. Sounds like the 2005 offseason :doh:

The Skins are going to be more than $15 million over the cap, meaning defensive backs like Matt Bowen and Walt Harris and kicker John Hall are all in jeopardy of being cap casualties.

At 2 mill base salary, Bowen is quite expendable. Considering the fact that with Taylor (if he isnt in jail), Clark, Prioleau and Stoutmire (if resigned) we are in good shape at Safety. Not to mention the fact that there are a few good prospects at that position in this years draft that will fall to the 2nd round and beyond.

Harris' base salary is 2.75 mil but depth at that position is lacking.

Archived