Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs giving up playcalling duties!

Spaceman Spiff

I know there are some on this board that are fans of Cerrato but he is the only one in the organization that I am amazed still has a job. We have yet to have a decent day on the second day of the draft and most of the hits we get is not because of him.

Careless statement booma. You should know better than that. Plenty of stuff posted in chats and news reports about how things are organized in the Redskins organization where that is concerned.

because said people are only interested in stirring up ****, instead of having legitimate questions

So, unfortunately, what else is new?

I'm more interested in how he uses our personnel.

Will he get to target guys in free agency/draft?

Would he be content with Brunell if his 2005 production were to carry over into next season?

Would he prefer Jason Campbell?

What does he think of Ramsey?

Would he be happy with Patten at the #2 spot?

Can he pry more than just practice greatness out of Jacobs or is he gone?

Will Portis catch more balls out of the backfield?

Those are a few questions I'll be looking to have answered. I'm pretty sure this will be the longest offseason ever in the history of professional football. :mad:

I'm sure he's still going to have input on the team.

You can call him whatever: Coach, GM, President, CEO, God, whatever you want it's still Joe Gibbs's team.

I'm gonna piggy-back onn this, Warhead ;)

Maybe this will also help the needy.

When you know enough about Wall Street to run a brokerage firm, it doesn't mean you are inadequate or superfluous because you hire the most effective people money can buy to help you get to the top. Get it? YOU already KNOW so much about the entire field that you know how to RUN the whole thing. And you know so much you know whose best in each area your fimr needs to address. So you hire them, let them do their jobs, and RUN the company. Which means you have "input" and "duties" requiring "expertise" somewhat similar to the way, oh...let's say EVERYBODY'S BOSS has input over their managers and other workers. Helpful? Don't swallow your tongue while reading.

I know there are some on this board that are fans of Cerrato but he is the only one in the organization that I am amazed still has a job. We have yet to have a decent day on the second day of the draft and most of the hits we get is not because of him.

So let him do the first day and Gibbs do the second ;-)

LOL, I know they all already share a lot of those duties and Gibbs and Snyder have the final say on most of it.

I'm gonna piggy-back onn this, Warhead ;)

Maybe this will also help the needy.

When you know enough about Wall Street to run a brokerage firm, it doesn't mean you are inadequate or superfluous because you hire the most effective people money can buy to help you get to the top. Get it? YOU already KNOW so much about the entire field that you know how to RUN the whole thing. And you know so much you know whose best in each area your fimr needs to address. So you hire them, let them do their jobs, and RUN the company. Which means you have "input" and "duties" requiring "expertise" somewhat similar to the way, oh...let's say EVERYBODY'S BOSS has input over their managers and other workers. Helpful? Don't swallow your tongue while reading.

Agreed. And well said. Though one has to get nervous when a guy named Jumbo says he's going to piggy back. :silly:

Will he get to target guys in free agency/draft?

As far as this is concerned, I think the operation will be similar to what it was before, everybody getting together and putting a Redskin grade on the player.

Also,

Joe Gibbs will turn over the offense and play-calling to someone else

As similar as the systems may be, I can't remember Gibbs using a FB anywhere close to the extent that Saunders did in KC. Did he do that because Richardson was so good, he had to involve him in the offense? Or because using a FB is a staple of his offense?

What on earth are you basing this on?

Maybe: history.

It's a well known fact that back in Gibbs I that even though Dan Henning was the OC and you had Breaux,Buges,Burns and the rest of the staff on board, they were all in the "submarine"(Buges' term for the late night/all night planning sessions) together,working on the gameplan for the week's opponent.

:2cents:

I Think this is another step in the right direction.

So what's your prediction of what they do with Mike Mularkey, since they brought him in to help with the offense last year?

Sounds like a lot of mularkey to me.

Sorry, couldn't help myself!:laugh:

He may be assigned to the practice squad.:silly:

Hail!:point2sky

dougwilliams.JPG

Maybe: history.

It's a well known fact that back in Gibbs I that even though Dan Henning was the OC and you had Breaux,Buges,Burns and the rest of the staff on board, they were all in the "submarine"(Buges' term for the late night/all night planning sessions) together,working on the gameplan for the week's opponent.

:2cents:

Absolutely, and not unlike the process that KC had, when Saunders was there. Each assistant coach having a say into what goes into the gameplan each week.

so is Gibbs still the Head Coach?

they said hes now more of a CEO or GM (does he still decide how the game is run on the sideline with timeouts, challenges, speaches in the lockerroom, all other things u associate with the head coah)

I don't understand why this is so hard for people to grasp. Gibbs is still the head coach. You people act like this is a brand new strategy. A defensive and offensive coordinator?? On the same TEAM??? :rolleyes:

Yes, folks, Gibbs is still the head coach. There is more to coaching a football team than calling the plays...

Does anyone know if Saunders called KC's plays from the box or the field?

If the former is true then it's probable that Saunders will radio the play down to Gibbs who will then call it to Brunell or whoever and things will look identical on the sidelines to last year.

If the latter is true then obviously Saunders will call directly to Brunell and we'll see a new face in B&G.

Whatever happens, Gibbs will be M.A.N.A.G.I.N.G. the game. Working the Ref's, watching the clock, calling time-outs and making all the punt, kick or pass decisions. Just as he does now.

The biggest difference I think we are going to see on the field is more motion and shifting. Remember in 04 Gibbs had to scale back this aspect of his offense because the players were unfamiliar with so much movement and we had problems getting eveyone set before the clock ran down. This year we had more shifting but still not we oldtimers remember from Gibbs 1.0

Saunders will want to take this staple of his attack and make sure the Redskins "get off the bus motioning and shifting".

We will undoutedly see a few new formations as well although I doubt many of us, myself included, will recognize them when they happen.

The real beauty in all of this is the improvment we should see in the vertical passing attack, the DANGER level we will be bringing. This is where I think Gibbs realized Saunders had a leg up on him and the one area we needed to improve the most, although the Cowboys might beg to differ! :laugh:

Clearly we were badly hampered by WR injuries last year but just as clearly we were predictable when it could hurt us the most. Unable to make 1 first down when the game was on the line!

That is why Saunders is here. And that is why I for one, wholeheartedly endorse this hiring and this decision to let Saunders call the plays. :applause:

And also why I love Joe Gibbs! :notworthy

HTTR.

:helmet:

Saunders called the plays from the box, I believe.

Yes this is the case. I applaud Gibbs for making the move to bring in Saunders. He has the team's best interest in mind here. A head coach's job is to oversee the entire team. Delegation of duty is a BIG part of that, and this should give him more time to look at the big picture.

I think he will still be VERY involved with the offense and it seems like a great idea to have a set of eyes both on the sidelines and in the booth.

Its on Saunders next year...just heard it on espn from Mort.

Joe Gibbs is as smart a coach as he ever was, but I dont believe he has the killer instinct and aggressiveness he used to have.

He also lacks 3 other things:

1. Ripiens/Williams arm

2. The hogs

3. The smurfs

IMHO< Brunell needs to be replaced at QB. He just doesnt have the field vision any more and he is not aggressive enough. I honestly have not seen so many balls either thrown away or run out of bounds on crucial third down in my life.

I mean, if we don't get the first we lose the game - just throw the damn rock!

come on folks. Brunell threw for 3,000 yards, Portis ran for 1,500 and Moss caught 84 passes for 1,483 :)

let's not pretend as if the Redskins offense all year reminded one of the Texans or the Jets for crissakes :laugh:

this offense was productive against division rivals Dallas, NY and Philly down the stretch (35,35,31) and also produced numbers in other games against the Seahawks, 49ers, Buccaneers and Rams.

this offense would be 'fixable' with or without Saunders. What Saunders brings is the opportunity to add some additional wrinkles to keep teams that know us off balance, but Gibbs was going to improve this team by getting a #2 receiver and some additional playmaking ability in the supporting cast.

come on folks. Brunell threw for 3,000 yards, Portis ran for 1,500 and Moss caught 84 passes for 1,483 :)

let's not pretend as if the Redskins offense all year reminded one of the Texans or the Jets for crissakes :laugh:

this offense was productive against division rivals Dallas, NY and Philly down the stretch (35,35,31) and also produced numbers in other games against the Seahawks, 49ers, Buccaneers and Rams.

this offense would be 'fixable' with or without Saunders. What Saunders brings is the opportunity to add some additional wrinkles to keep teams that know us off balance, but Gibbs was going to improve this team by getting a #2 receiver and some additional playmaking ability in the supporting cast.

That is very true. The problem this year, though, was that we discovered a few plays and formations that worked for a couple of weeks, than people caught on and we couldn't adapt and evolve fast enough. Hopefully, that's what Saunders will bring.

That is very true. The problem this year, though, was that we discovered a few plays and formations that worked for a couple of weeks, than people caught on and we couldn't adapt and evolve fast enough. Hopefully, that's what Saunders will bring.

What Saunders does best is catch people off guard. He runs in passing situations and passes in running situations. Two things the Skins barely did last season.

Archived