Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs giving up playcalling duties!

Spaceman Spiff

so what is Gibbs going to do? Stand on the sidelines and say good job?

Gibbs'll definitely have input when it comes to the offense. LIke I said a min ago, Saunders is an old "Air Coryell" buddy whose been around to adapt his offense to the way defenses have evolved while Gibbs was gone. The majority of his (JG's) input will be during the offseason and in practices, I would imagine.

EDIT: That wasn't a dumb post, BTW.

Yep, Gibbs will have nothing to do with the offense. :rolleyes:

Mort and ESPN said it so it must be true.................:rolleyes:

it is lies. People on this board can act so weird. GOOD JOB GIBBS! You are so humble! No coach in the world should that be humble. Why would he give up play calling when he has coached so many yrs and been to so many playoffs playcalling1

There are many coaches in the league that doesnt call plays. For example Bill Parcells. The Head Coach runs the football team. Make sure everything is in place and set and getthe team ready to play. U guys act like now that he isnt calling the plays that he is just there for nothing. Also he wasnt calling all the plays this year, he just made the final decision on it,

Pretty sure that things will be cleared up with the official press conference. Until then, everyting is speculation and that includes what Mort said as far as I am concerned. Sort of straight from the horses mouth thing.

it is lies. People on this board can act so weird. GOOD JOB GIBBS! You are so humble! No coach in the world should that be humble. Why would he give up play calling when he has coached so many yrs and been to so many playoffs playcalling1

Because he knows the reason we didn't advance is because of the playcalling. In the Seattle game we never took advantage of the momentum in the first half. Even though we were pinned deep we never took a chance unlike NE did in similar situations later that night.

Mort is reporting it and Gibbs will confirm it at the press conference. Why would Saunders come here if he couldn't call the plays :doh:

no you have the dumb post. If he was a offensive coach and he is not calling the plays what exactly is he going to do?

I do not think Gibbs approved this hiring at all.

If you don't understand the sport well enough to figure out an answer to this childish question, then, it is best to stay silent and hope others fill you in before you have to reveal such ignorance. Some head coaches call plays for whatever side of the ball they come from. Most teams don't have head coaches who call plays on either side of the ball. Some do, but most do not. Only one team in our division, as an example, has a head coach who's also the play caller. Gibbs wasn't the lead play caller this year. What do you think he did?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2301861

For the first time in his Hall of Fame coaching career, Joe Gibbs will turn over the offense and play-calling to someone else, ESPN's Chris Mortensen has learned.

New offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who, like Gibbs, has ties to former NFL offensive guru Don Coryell, will take over those duties for the 2006 season.

Team sources say Gibbs will embrace more of a CEO/GM mentality and turn his attention even more to the personnel side -- such as the big decisions as to whether to trade backup quarterback Patrick Ramsey and keep linebacker Lavar Arrington.

You know what I hate about ESPN discussing this? Next year during and after a successful season they will give the credit to Saunders and leave gibbs out of the picture. **** espn. I dont watch them no more.

They gave Gibbs all the credit for hiring (actually swooping down to snatch from the Raiders' clutches) Saunders.

Besides, any success only adds to his already very impressive resume as a HEAD COACH, right?

We know he's the man.

IT IS LIES. Gibbs never gets involved with the defense like other coaches do like Parcells , Bellecheck. So what would Gibbs be doing? Bottom line is Saunders and the other guys will be in the booth. Relay the calls to Gibbs and Gibbs has the final say.

He might as well quit , you guys are making him to be a moron. You want him to be a figure head like JOPA

IT IS LIES. Gibbs never gets involved with the defense like other coaches do like Parcells , Bellecheck. So what would Gibbs be doing? Bottom line is Saunders and the other guys will be in the booth. Relay the calls to Gibbs and Gibbs has the final say.

He might as well quit , you guys are making him to be a moron. You want him to be a figure head like JOPA

Did you fall out of your bed last night :doh:

is that all you live for? Insult people on a message board? Internet tough number 1,984,489,455,684,454,445 in the world

take it to PM. This is Spaceman Spiff's thread - you're dominating it and honestly, other than 'huh?', you're not adding to the conversation.

Yep, Gibbs will have nothing to do with the offense. :rolleyes:

Mort and ESPN said it so it must be true.................:rolleyes:

That's kinda where my thoughts were going as well. I don't doubt that some of it will be true to some degree, there's no doubt that Saunders will play a big role in the offense this season, but I do have strong doubts that many of the actual specifics have been worked out internally yet, much less leaked to the media. It looks more like the standard "professional journalism" nowdays of making assumptions and running with them as fact.

Writing on the wall for Cerrato???

I know there are some on this board that are fans of Cerrato but he is the only one in the organization that I am amazed still has a job. We have yet to have a decent day on the second day of the draft and most of the hits we get is not because of him.

yes he is becoming more like the manager out there, similar to when he was in Nascar, he realized that his offense may not be what it was, but there is no one better dealing with people

which is why Gibbs now is great as president/gm his experience in Nascar has prepared him for this

This is the best example of the explanation that I've been giving my non-Redskins friends who keep asking exactly just what JG is up to. Think about it, he would appear to be leaving his mark as more than just a HC, when it's clear he's operating at all levels of the organization. The ability to do something this innovative is yet another testament to the sheer genius of the man.

so what is Gibbs going to do? Stand on the sidelines and say good job?

Gibbs will have input offensively. It may be Saunders offense, it may be Saunders calling the plays, but Gibbs will be involved in gameplanning. The same could be asked of Belichick, What does he do? He doesn't call plays offensively and he doesn't call plays defensively either. I guess he was just along for the ride:rolleyes:. Holmgren and Shanahan call plays, but I can't think of many more head coaches that actually do.

Think, before you post.

Archived