Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs giving up playcalling duties!

Spaceman Spiff

hahah, cool. I cant wait to see what Saunders does with our offense. I love Joe Gibbs and I respect him so much, but I was getting a little tired of the run, run, pass, punt offense. Saunders is going to fix all of our offensive woes and we are going to be UNSTOPPABLE next year.

so is Gibbs still the Head Coach?

they said hes now more of a CEO or GM (does he still decide how the game is run on the sideline with timeouts, challenges, speaches in the lockerroom, all other things u associate with the head coah)

yes he is becoming more like the manager out there, similar to when he was in Nascar, he realized that his offense may not be what it was, but there is no one better dealing with people

which is why Gibbs now is great as president/gm his experience in Nascar has prepared him for this

hahah, cool. I cant wait to see what Saunders does with our offense. I love Joe Gibbs and I respect him so much, but I was getting a little tired of the run, run, pass, punt offense. Saunders is going to fix all of our offensive woes and we are going to be UNSTOPPABLE next year.

I love the Saunders hiring, but I do believe that Saunders will actually play 0 downs for us next year. You still need quality players to be unstoppable. Here's to us filling the holes we have.

HTTR

I love the Saunders hiring, but I do believe that Saunders will actually play 0 downs for us next year. You still need quality players to be unstoppable. Here's to us filling the holes we have.

HTTR

Amen. Norv was suppossed to be the panacea when he came here, a great offensive genius as well. Have to have the horses to be able to execute.

When will people realize this...Gibbs wasn't calling the plays this year either. Burns was up top, and I believe Gibbs was confirming the plays. I really hope we dont change hte offense also, because that wud mean having to learn a new system which would take another year of learning

Learn a new system? What we've been doing hasn't exactly been rocket science thus far. The offense needs to become more diverse, and more complicated, if we want to win a superbowl. We need to learn a new system, or significantly tweak the old one, regardless of who is calling the plays.

I was going to post earlier that I was also worried that the number of coaches on the staff this year was pretty high. Did some quick research and surprisingly, of the "final four" only Carolina has significantly fewer coaches on the staff and Denver actually has one or two more.

Gibbs' new approach reminds me of Bowden's at FSU (without so much of the nepotism, of course). But it worked really well when he had Amato, Richt, and Andrews.

Additionally, the fact that Saunders was an "Air Coryell" colleague of his leads me to believe that Joe hasn't completely washed his hands of playcalling (which I think is a good thing).

Learn a new system? What we've been doing hasn't exactly been rocket science thus far. The offense needs to become more diverse, and more complicated, if we want to win a superbowl. We need to learn a new system, or significantly tweak the old one, regardless of who is calling the plays.

Good point...back in the glory days we could physically overpower teams. Now teams are more evenly matched and it will be interesting to see how we adapt to Saunders style of play calling.

Archived