Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking your free agent bubble, Gibbsian style.

rvan1

I don't see how we can say a big name would ruin the chemistry of the team. For all we know they could help the chemistry of the team. Just because one guy might be more pricey than another means nothing. Joe Gibbs is our coach, and as of right now we have the best coaching staff surrounding him. I think any player can be handled on the skins for the better. So lets hope for the best, and that we can obtain a big name guy that can make us unstoppable

I got some news for ya, Art Monk was the #1. Clark and Sanders were #2 & #3.

Monk was great and deserves to be in the Hall. He probably would be a #1 WR on most teams back then, but in Gibbs' offense, he was the #2 WR.

Please check out the following link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011601456.html

Another source:

http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/100/91.html

Monk was great and deserves to be in the Hall. He probably would be a #1 WR on most teams back then, but in Gibbs' offense, he was the #2 WR.

Please check out the following link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011601456.html

Another source:

http://archive.sportingnews.com/nfl/100/91.html

I hear ya, but who was the first option? Monk. That = #1 to me. Where you line up or what routes you run don't mean jack. Moss is the first option right know, that = #1 reciever. Monk use to be the first option 75% of the time, which = #1 receiver in my book.

fred smoot left us b/c of $100,000 difference between what we offered him and what sota offered,not b/c he didnt wanna be a skiz,it is all about $$$$$ now:2cents: ,not team loyalty anymore.

Please get your facts straight. The difference in signing bonus was indeed small, but the difference in salary over the first 3 years was around $5 million. Smoot asked us to match the offer, and we refused.

I hear ya, but who was the first option? Monk. That = #1 to me. Where you line up or what routes you run don't mean jack. Moss is the first option right know, that = #1 reciever. Monk use to be the first option 75% of the time, which = #1 receiver in my book.

I think we're talking along the same lines. Monk was the first option then, but Clark was the "Moss" on that team; the guy that stretched the field. I just think we need a #2 now that is a lot like Monk -- has great hands, goes across the middle, runs precise routes. I think Moulds, Lloyd, Jurvecius all fit this mold.

When I read this about Monk, it brought a tear to my eye:

Big (6-3, 210) and physical, Monk was a wide receiver in a tight end's body. Unable to dazzle anybody with his speed, he became a route-running technician who would go outside or inside with fearless defiance. Nobody was more consistent on medium routes over the middle, football's no-man's land of broken ribs and shattered careers. Third down and other key situations belonged to Monk..

Eric Moulds is garbage. Maybe a couple years ago he wasn't, but these days he's lost too much. Why not just get Jimmy Smith? He's old, but at least he's used to playing with Brunell.

To no one in particular I say: no more old guys - go Randle El or Brandon Lloyd. Oh, and no fat chicks. I'm just sayin'.

Man haven't we learned anything? Size does not matter. Steve Smith and Santana Moss Ring a bell? This notion of a big possesion receiver is a joke. that is what Cooley is here for. We need someone who can

1. run precise routes

2. got reliable hands

3. is a "gibbs" guy

4. is quick, no so much fast

Everyone slept on Moss big time, all he needed was a chance and the damn ball, sound a little similiar to what Randle El is going through in Pitt doesn't it? He has the hands you know that, developed by returning kicks, god knows he has the speed, I say he would be good pick ... plus you know he has great ethic and pedigree coming from a team run by Bill Cowher. ..

I agree. Great points.

I think Randel-El would be a great fit here in Washington. The guy just needs a chance. All 4 of those features you listed, bro, fit Randel-El to a tee, in my mind.

Plus Gibbs can get the inside scoop on Randel-El by talking with Russ Grimm over there in Pittsburgh.

I agree. Great points.

I think Randel-El would be a great fit here in Washington. The guy just needs a chance. All 4 of those features you listed, bro, fit Randel-El to a tee, in my mind.

Plus Gibbs can get the inside scoop on Randel-El by talking with Russ Grimm over there in Pittsburgh.

I would like to think that about Randel-El. I like him overall. He is a playmaker but I don't think he is the answer. I know he needs a chance but he runs too hot and cold and he does not meet the criteria for "reliable hands". He dropped some sure balls this year.

He was barely on the radar screen when Hines Ward was out with injury. He should have been the go to guy (in all fairness Rothlesberger was hurt too then).

That being said I would love to have him on our team as a playmaker on KR/PR and as a WR for sure. But we need a much more sure #2 receiver and there are others IMO.

No go on Wayne. He will demand too much dough and Im not willing to take a chance on a guy who has produced on such a stacked team. Harrison across, Edge running, great o line, peyton throwing...while hes made some great plays, you have to give a lot of credit to his supporting cast. Not worth the risk IMO.

There are 4 WRs I would put long before Randle El. Joe Jurevicius looked pretty sweet streaking down the sideline against the Skins on that key 3rd down. A return to Washington for KEenan McCardell wouldn't be all bad. Heck even Jabar Gaffney would be a better fit than Randle El.

I can't competently argue with you about that because truthfully I haven't seen Randle El play enough, but I do know he had certain characteristics that moss ha. And this guy has played on real good football teams under a real good coach. Another plus is his age, he still very young, 26 years old ...

As popular as Wayne is right now I am pretty skeptical aobut him as well, how could you not be? Sure those two catches in that Pitt game last week were amazing but he has had Marivn Harrison across from him and Peyton Manning throwing him the ball, as well as a dominant RB in Edgerin James demanding attention from the secondary ... he is pretty big gamble in book ...

fred smoot left us b/c of $100,000 difference between what we offered him and what sota offered,not b/c he didnt wanna be a skiz,it is all about $$$$$ now:2cents: ,not team loyalty anymore.

Not true at all. Last year Smoot had no good reason to be loyal to the skins. We were a loosing franchise and the Danny would have sold smoot for something he though was better in a second. The difference this year is that we are a club on the upswing. We have a great atmosphere and we proved all of our critics wrong. Guys will want to come here to be a part of what we are doing. Last year there was no evidence that we had our act together (unless you are a Gibbs homer like myself and many others on this board).

How much would you want to bet Smoot wishes he were a Redskin still?

by gaging previous FA signings by Gibbs & staff, the next FA will be

1. under the radar, talented but needs a chance to excel

2. 24-29 in age

3. Some experience in the NFL

4. Good character, hard worker, self motivated

5. hungry to succeed, not just money hungry

Bubba, you bless us with your wisdom once again. During the past two offseasons, with the exception of CP coming here for Champ, the majority of our free agent pickups have been small names that at first have us going, "Why did he pick up that bum?" and later praising the FO for the move. With that said, I think that it would be nice if we had Wayne wearing the burgundy and gold next year, I'll be comfortable with the whoever Gibbs decides to go with.

Eric Moulds is garbage. Maybe a couple years ago he wasn't, but these days he's lost too much. Why not just get Jimmy Smith? He's old, but at least he's used to playing with Brunell.

To no one in particular I say: no more old guys - go Randle El or Brandon Lloyd. Oh, and no fat chicks. I'm just sayin'.

Explain to me again how a guy who caught 81 balls this year is garbage? Is it the whopping 0 fumbles he had in the process, or is it just the fact that he doesn't fit our #2 WR because he doesn't drop passes?

Bubba, you bless us with your wisdom once again. During the past two offseasons, with the exception of CP coming here for Champ, the majority of our free agent pickups have been small names that at first have us going, "Why did he pick up that bum?" and later praising the FO for the move. With that said, I think that it would be nice if we had Wayne wearing the burgundy and gold next year, I'll be comfortable with the whoever Gibbs decides to go with.

I agree! It has been painful to watch over the last several years. We agonize throught the regular season, then hope for great things in the offseason, only to be left scratching our heads (or banging them against the wall). At least now, with the Gibbs machine back, and a year's worth of reminding, we can rest easy knowing that the masterminds are at work.

I love the feeling of having our team back!!!! So which, small-names will it be this year?

We can also scratch off Koren Robinson (Vikings have the opportunity to match any offer), and Brandon Lloyd (he's definately going to be resigning by San Fran, and we can't afford him anyway).

It won't be the apparently obvious choice.

The Vikings have Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson, Troy Williamson, and Nate Burleson on the roster. Even though he returned kickoffs for them, what is the pay scale for a #4/#5 receiver/kick returner. He'd have a chance to be a #2 here and be closer to home. Rumor has it that he is PO'd at the new owner for firing Tice and wants out.

I'd LOVE a veteran #2 "garbage" receiver with these stats, especially knowing who was throwing him the ball in Buffalo the last 2 years:

2005: 81 catches, 816 yards, 5 touchdowns

2004: 88 catches, 1,043 yards, 5 touchdowns

Moulds hasn't lost much as far as I've seen (if you're talking about speed), and has always had great hands. We need him as a #2 RECEIVER, not a #1; he'd be a perfect fit opposite Moss.

I think we're talking along the same lines. Monk was the first option then, but Clark was the "Moss" on that team; the guy that stretched the field. I just think we need a #2 now that is a lot like Monk -- has great hands, goes across the middle, runs precise routes. I think Moulds, Lloyd, Jurvecius all fit this mold.

If we're looking for a big, possession receiver for the #2 then why is Brandon Lloyd in the discussion, he is small and fast with great hands, more of a #1, he is only 6'0" 190 Lbs. , not close to as big as Moulds or Joe J., he doesn't fit the "mold" you are talking about

Archived