Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking your free agent bubble, Gibbsian style.

rvan1

Forget the big names on the market (Freeney, Wayne), none of them will be in B&G next year.

These players are going to be in bidding wars with a lot of other teams, and the Skins arent going to win those bids. In fact, they may be the first team out.

Remember how didnt keep smoot because we didnt want him paid more than springs? Same with Pierce over Marshall? Thats going to happen with Reggie Wayne. Gibbs isnt going to slap Moss in the face by bringing in a guy with a bigger paycheck. This isnt madden-- players get mad at this stuff. Why ruin that chemistry. Look for a cheaper guy (quite possibly Randle El) to take the #2.

Supposedly now with Edge on the market, Colts will resign Freeney. So scratch him off your list. If they dont, I bet the skins will stay in the chase for him longer than they would for Wayne, but do you think they have the cap space to sign draft picks/other free agents if they sign Freeney to an estimated 5 yr, 35 million dollar contract? Thats what teams will pay for him, they will make him their franchise guy.

Instead, the Redskins should spend their money wisely on developable talent and stable/consistent players. Forget the big names. Afterall, before this last season, Moss was considered a bust.

el fumbles kr's too

Moss can return. All we really need for the WR spot is somebody who is a big, solid receiver, good hands, credible threat in his own right. We need a guy who is going to make the opposing team's safety to take that extra half a second to decide which side he's going to help out on. That will provide the opening to Moss or whoever the other WR is.

Randle el is too small to be #2 WR. We need a tall, possession receiver. Moulds is perfect at 6'2", 210 lbs.

Man haven't we learned anything? Size does not matter. Steve Smith and Santana Moss Ring a bell? This notion of a big possesion receiver is a joke. that is what Cooley is here for. We need someone who can

1. run precise routes

2. got reliable hands

3. is a "gibbs" guy

4. is quick, no so much fast

Everyone slept on Moss big time, all he needed was a chance and the damn ball, sound a little similiar to what Randle El is going through in Pitt doesn't it? He has the hands you know that, developed by returning kicks, god knows he has the speed, I say he would be good pick ... plus you know he has great ethic and pedigree coming from a team run by Bill Cowher. ..

fred smoot left us b/c of $100,000 difference between what we offered him and what sota offered,not b/c he didnt wanna be a skiz,it is all about $$$$$ now:2cents: ,not team loyalty anymore.

Not exactly, MN front ended the contract. We did not have the cap room to spare in the first couple years of the contract. MN did that because they knew we could not match the offer. Smoot is getting a lot more money upfront from MN than the skins would have given him.

Man haven't we learned anything? Size does not matter. Steve Smith and Santana Moss Ring a bell? This notion of a big possesion receiver is a joke. that is what Cooley is here for. We need someone who can

1. run precise routes

2. got reliable hands

3. is a "gibbs" guy

Everyone slept on Moss big time, all he needed was a chance and the damn ball, sound a little similiar to what Randle El is going through in Pitt doesn't it? He has the hands you know that, developed by returning kicks, god knows he has the speed, I say he would be good pick ... plus you know he has great ethic and pedigree coming from a team run by Bill Cowher. ..

Yes, yes I understand...in Gibbs we trust. But remember, size isn't important for the #1 receiver, speed is. The #1 WR streches the field vertically (Moss is going to be huge in a Saunders offense). The #2 WR traditionally has great hands, has size, and can make a grab in traffic (think Art Monk). The job of the #1 is to make the huge play, while the job of the #2 is to get first downs (a job Garnder or Jacobs couldn't do, given they lacked the great hands and catching a ball in traffic elements of the #2 WR). The #2 WR is critical in the red zone. Moulds and Loyd fit this description better than el.

Well, if the Colts are stupid enough to not re-sign Freeney . . . we better go get him!!

You know something abotu Wayne though? He's from Miami. He was part of that 2000 team that just didnt' lose. He has played for the Colts, who have a tendancy to win as well, but falter in big games.

If Wayne wants to win, he'd play for less money. That coupled with the fact that he has a few old teamates here in Washington, he might be willing to play here for less money than he could get else where . .. maybe . . . .

I like Moulds, Loyd, and Jurevicius (I'd really like to have him, especially in the red zone :D )

What Bubba said.

Last year, no one saw the Moss of Coles trade and when it became more than a rumor, most people lost their minds that we would trade Coles for Moss since everyone believed that Coles was better.

So don't go looking for what seems like the obvious route or obvious WR that everyone wants.

Look below the surface and stop talking about Reggie Wayne or for that matter Brandon Lloyd.

Look deeper...

I like Moulds, Loyd, and Jurevicius (I'd really like to have him, especially in the red zone :D )

If this team does nothing in the FA market but sign Jurevicius, I would be a happy camper. He's a perfect #2 WR and should be relatively cheap. He's old but still has a couple good years left in him, and Lord knows, he's a Gibbs-type player.

Yes, yes I understand...in Gibbs we trust. But remember, size isn't important for the #1 receiver, speed is. The #1 WR streches the field vertically (Moss is going to be huge in a Saunders offense). The #2 WR traditionally has great hands, has size, and can make a grab in traffic (think Art Monk). .

I got some news for ya, Art Monk was the #1. Clark and Sanders were #2 & #3.

Randle El, Moulds, Wayne would all be great here. :2cents:

1. run precise routes

2. got reliable hands

3. is a "gibbs" guy

Moss' situation was far diffrerent. Moss was a 1st round pick that failed to live up to the hype because of injuries. He got a change of scenery as well as some health and bam he is what he is supposed to be.

Randle El was a QB/WR/KR 2nd round gamble by the Steelers a few years back. He isn't the kind of reliable receiver most would want to put next to Moss. He's a slot receiver, #3 option at best. Also, his hands can't be all that, he's fumbled 4 times this year and lost 3 of 'em. Also between Patten, Thrash, and Jacobs I'm sure that slot receiver will be filled with a player of equal ability to get open and catch the ball...

The guy I would look at as a possible addition, if NE doesn't do everything in its power to keep him, is David Givens. Can make the tough catch in traffic. He has experience in big games. Plus you know he has great ethic and pedigree coming from a team run by Bill Belichik. Givens >>>>>>> Randle El. There are 4 WRs I would put long before Randle El. Joe Jurevicius looked pretty sweet streaking down the sideline against the Skins on that key 3rd down. A return to Washington for KEenan McCardell wouldn't be all bad. Heck even Jabar Gaffney would be a better fit than Randle El.

Archived