Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In defense of repeat threads.

neongel

I can understand the frustration with repeat threads and how the forum gets cluttered with conversations that have already been had. I can also understand that it's easy enough to do a search and find the topic that you want to discuss, already discussed.

But that's not necessarily good enough. If the purpose of this site is purely informational, then no problem. But if this is meant as a forum that enables conversation among people that may not otherwise know about each other, then insisting on no repeat threads is an obstacle.

It is not the same to go back and read through the transcript of a conversation that you want to have. Your participation in the conversation is perhaps more important to you than the actual information discussed. It's the sense of belonging to a community that I think a lot of people seek when coming here. Information is everywhere. Conversation is less common.

And though personally I'm not interested in hearing any more about the media's lack of respect or Sean Taylor's spitting, these conversations are easy enough to avoid - the titles are clearly visible.

Just a thought.

Wrong Bubba. What he is saying (and what I am agreeing with) is that people want to have a discussion with other fans so they can express their thoughts an get some feedback on what they are saying. It is not always fun to just read pages of everyone else's thoughts.

Why would you post a response or try to add to a conversation that was discussed yesterday when you know not a single member is going to look at it again.

If you want people to be happy reading other folks' conversation, why not just turn this into a team news site??

:2cents:

Just add a post in the thread about the subject if thats what you want to talk about.

If you feel the need to be special and be a part of the discussion then have something to say, if not then dont post. You don't have to start a new thread on the same subject just to feel special do you? LOL!!

It's pretty simple.

Be here for a couple months before you tell us you know how things should be done too. Just a thought.

Wrong Bubba. What he is saying (and what I am agreeing with) is that people want to have a discussion with other fans so they can express their thoughts an get some feedback on what they are saying. It is not always fun to just read pages of everyone else's thoughts.

Why would you post a response or try to add to a conversation that was discussed yesterday when you know not a single member is going to look at it again.

If you want people to be happy reading other folks' conversation, why not just turn this into a team news site??

If its a subject worth talking about then people will.

No need to start 20 different threads on the same thing unless you want an attention whore avatar.

If you feel the need to be special and be a part of the discussion then have something to say, if not then dont post. You don't have to start a new thread on the same subject just to feel special do you? LOL!!

It's pretty simple.

Be here for a couple months before you tell us you know how things should be done too. Just a thought.

It's not a matter of feeling special, it's the desire to be part of the discussion. I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing.

And I'm really not concerned with seniority here - it's not relevant, regardless of what the avatars might suggest.

Lets see how this is done: I'll do up the Standard Operating Procedures Document based on my experience this morning:

On the way to work at 6:35am I heard Mike and Mike in the Morning predict the Redskins will beat seattle and meet N.E. in the Superbowl. You can imagine my surprise...

So I get to work, fire up the computer and go straight to the Extrememskins.com site.

First thing i do is click on the Search button. It is slightly to the left of and below: Welcome: (Your Name).

I typed in Mike Mike pick (I did this because they said they started this yesterday and finished it this morning I believe).

In going through the page of returns I found nothing that described my lil nugget of information so i then hit the back button till i was on the thread and proceeded to type what I heard and my opinion on it guilt free.

why start several threads of the same discussion?

it's basically, over egarness, to lazy to search, or too big an ego, wanted credit

4,000 posts thread till seattle. are you kidding, these kinds of posts are started by members with 50 some odd thousand posts to thier name....

i agree with the origional poster because i have been banned for not using a search. i had very good information but because some "vet" of this forum reported it to a moderator. if its a good topic then talk about it. not everyone has the same exact info as a previous thread, not only that but unless you can change the title everyone will think its the same ex: if i wanted to talk about how bad Lavar sucks (example you Lavar lovers) and i have stats, i should be able to start a thread that says Lavars stats and why he should go.

Hopefully it won't Mad Mike b/c I think this topic raises some interesting questions. I understand if a thread is 2 spaces down and someone creates a duplicate, but a few pages back is a different story.

Not to mention....if someone disagrees with your opinion on this board you get called a "whore." HAHAHA I am one, but still....

4,000 posts thread till seattle. are you kidding, these kinds of posts are started by members with 50 some odd thousand posts to thier name....

i agree with the origional poster because i have been banned for not using a search. i had very good information but because some "vet" of this forum reported it to a moderator. if its a good topic then talk about it. not everyone has the same exact info as a previous thread, not only that but unless you can change the title everyone will think its the same ex: if i wanted to talk about how bad Lavar sucks (example you Lavar lovers) and i have stats, i should be able to start a thread that says Lavars stats and why he should go.

The 4000 posts thread is one thread with a million replies.

Not a million threads with 4 replies... HUGE difference.

And if you want to talk about how Lavar sucks why not just add it to the Lavar Sucks thread that is on page 1? Or are you feeling that you being in his inner circle have just got to have everyone read your post first?

:doh:

WRONG

within the threads, you can have individual discussion simply by addressing your party, or using the quote feature, if you want simply one on one ... use the PM feature

We have 50,000 members and usually 500-800 during the day at a time... if everyone wanted to have a little private thread about the same subject... many other worthy posts are quickly lost, buried several pages back. Besides it causes more confusion and more difficult to follow the discussions.

At one time we had about 12 Sean Taylor spitting threads, many had the same people arguing the exact same points.

again, it boils down to 3 simple points, some one is over eager to look to see if a news item has been posted, and posts, or is too lazy to bother to search, ("the Sorry if this has already been posted" posters), and "the look at me... my idea is more important so it deserves it's own thread people"... which the so called original thought has been made many times over.

Trust me we have had several long lasting threads, with people having individual debates with in, and allowing other to join in or add to the discussion. It works just fine.

besides it is a board rule, the mods of the board have been doing this for over 6 years now, and have some pretty good basic rules that work well in this informant. Repeated topics will be merged or closed, they provide an easy to operate search feature, simply scanning the front page can tell you if it has been discussed.

No one wants to lump all basic topics together, but how many ESPN disrespects us thread do we need???

Hopefully it won't Mad Mike b/c I think this topic raises some interesting questions. I understand if a thread is 2 spaces down and someone creates a duplicate, but a few pages back is a different story.

Not to mention....if someone disagrees with your opinion on this board you get called a "whore." HAHAHA I am one, but still....

Your not getting it.

SEARCH is at the top of the page between member list and quick links.

It doesn't matter if the topic you want to feel special about bringing up the 35th time today is on the 3rd page or the 35th.

:rolleyes:

First off the 4000 post is simply a good karma thread, that little or no real discussion, just a good nature team spirit thing... totally different than what is being discussed.

How do you know your idea is orginal if you don't read the other thread about the same topic? Trust me if you have a worth while idea or thought, you will get responses directed to you with in the thread, easy to follow discussions.

No one is banned for merged threads, unless they have been warned or something else happened to warrent such actions.

That was actually explained well and was well put, Bubba. Youre post changed my opinion a bit. :applause:

Definitely much better than saying those people are just lazy, illiterate, ego-maniacle weenies. HAHAHA....should have just called them Cowboy fans.

Squashed.

Got to agree with this post. Kind of like being at a party....just because one faction of people have discussed a topic should not preclude others from discussing it later.

Just my .02

I think you make a good point. For example: you haven't been to the site for a few days and want an interactive discussion on a certain topic. To continue your analogy, you don't want to listen to a recording of previous discussions at the party. When I returned from a month of working on the Katrina Relief effort, I was relegated to just a reader of old threads.

I think the keys are:

Is it still an active thread (on the first 3 pages)? Probably doesn't need new thread.

Do you have some new information or insight? Probably should have new thread. (Although, I got slammed when I started a breaking news thread when Vick was charged with brandishing a weapon).

All in all, I trust the Mods.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks for initiating a good, reasonable conversation as to this topic.

There's really no hard and fast rule we have when it comes to this. If a topic has died off and someone brings it back a few days later, that's probably going to be fine. If a topic is being discussed but you offer a fairly unique viewpoint, that's going to be acceptable. The problem comes when people start six different threads asking whether Taylor should be suspended, or suggesting demanding Arrington play or whatever, having them all cobbled within four or five posts of each other on the front page.

The community has a number of people who may wish to have thoughts others discuss. Having some faction dominate the board with repetitive discussions on the same topic winds up limiting other topics -- say this one -- which have merit but can't get seen fast enough due to the nature of the repetition at certain times.

I think it's pretty much common sence. If the bulk of your thoughts are already expressed in a thread on this board, especially on the front where you can't miss it, then, contribute them there. If you don't see anything like that go ahead and initiate a discussion even if it JUST fell away as a disussion and you might get a little ribbing depending on the time that topic has dominated the board, or you might not.

Seniority here in the form of post counts and avatars isn't a reflection, necessarily, that a person knows more about the topic than someone with fewer posts. However, our senior members who've built this place over the years are to be trusted when they offer you up guidance as to a better way to express yourself here. Their thoughts do matter more than yours because THEY know the rules, have survived how they are implemented and have contributed to the forum for a period of time.

Yet, I'm addressing this post by a newbie because it has merit as well. Just don't discount the importance of taking the advice of your community leaders, which, ARE those who've been here a while and proven their value. Everyone starting this month can be in that group too.

It's not exclusive, though we feel it is special. It is important. We want everyone to be part of it. :).

I think we all agree that a cluttered forum is no good to anyone, and I appreciate the responses (at least the good natured ones) to my original post. I certainly don't expect the people that have been here for years to all of a sudden change the way they do things, nor should they. I guess my main point was to suggest that maybe jumping on someone who happens to repeat a thought is not helpful, and certainly not welcoming. Plus, a thread will die on its own relatively quickly if people just leave it alone -- criticizing it just bumps it up to the top (kind of like T.O.).

Enought said, at least by me.

Bubba's been a big contributor to this site for a long time. You've been a member for a few weeks. Listen to Bubba.

I think we all agree that a cluttered forum is no good to anyone, and I appreciate the responses (at least the good natured ones) to my original post. I certainly don't expect the people that have been here for years to all of a sudden change the way they do things, nor should they. I guess my main point was to suggest that maybe jumping on someone who happens to repeat a thought is not helpful, and certainly not welcoming. Plus, a thread will die on its own relatively quickly if people just leave it alone -- criticizing it just bumps it up to the top (kind of like T.O.).

Enought said, at least by me.

And THAT is precisely right.

One aspect of the Swarm we have here is some bit of a limit on self-control :). When you guys SEE a thread you KNOW doesn't belong, simply report it to us, we'll lock it, close it, move it, whatever. But, don't BUMP it so it stays in full view forever. That's why we are taking to locking threads hoping to train people if you aren't commenting in them, they'll go away. :).

If someone else has already told the person he's a troll, or the thread is worthless, or is a duplicate or redunant, just walk away and if someone or you took the time to report it and we agree we'll get rid of it for you :).

I hardly ever use the search function myself, and I started the 'moron thread' that is still popping up on this subject.

I agree that no one wants to rekindle a discussion that is days onld by resurrecting a thread on page nineteen.

My gripe stems from multiple threads on the same topic made within minutes of each other forcing other conversations off the board. I don't mind discussing anything, but when you look at the front page and there are 6 threads about Sean Taylor spitting, it's a LOT redundant.

Conversation and debate gets lost within all of that.

truly, the search function is great, but you can be just as conscious of the problem by simply taking twenty seconds and scanning page 1 to see if your thought can join into a discussion that is already there.

Its frustrating to vet and newbie alike to try to participate in a thread only to see it mega-merged to the point that all continuity of conversation is lost, or to see it disappear entirely in a matter of minutes, pushed off the front page by numerous threads on the same topic. It may even foster a "why bother" attitude, which would be an ultimate failure for all of us.

For example, this is a fine topic revisited with a new point of view. I am sure the starter thought about what he wants to say, spent time to write it out with the intent of folks reading and commenting or debating on his thoughts. It would be disappointing for him to see that cast into the oblivion of page 3 before 9AM due to a cascade of duplicated threads about Taylor spitting, or "i got thrown off the seahawks board". (Not that there's anything wrong with these discussions,, but it's just as easy to go into an existing "i got tossed out" thread and add your "me too" story. It makes it fun for all, the threads become more lively and last longer.)

Me, I like Blondie's threads (4000 posts to seattle!) Cheerleading is good, it's part of the comraderie of being a group of fans of the same team. Besides, since she's been making these types of threads we haven't lost. She's got the mojo!

What she has also done is make one big giant rah-rah thread for everyone to be pumped up in and hoot and holler, rather than have every person who felt like going "woohooo we're going to kick ass!" start a new thread.

I don't think any vet here wants to discourage anyone from participating. Folks just want the place to be a little more tidy is all.

~Bang

And if you want to talk about how Lavar sucks why not just add it to the Lavar Sucks thread that is on page 1?

or page 2, or the couple on page 3, or maybe try pages 4, 5, 6, or 7. Then there are those on page 8, 9 and 10. :doh:

If you look really hard, you'll even find that topic beyond page 10.

i for one cannot understand the frustration with repeat threads. anyone who takes time to get their panties in a bunch bout some threads needs to reevaluate themselves. I could care less if someone posted the same thing every day, just dont read em.

Archived