Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In defense of repeat threads.

neongel

i for one cannot understand the frustration with repeat threads. anyone who takes time to get their panties in a bunch bout some threads needs to reevaluate themselves. I could care less if someone posted the same thing every day, just dont read em.
OK, here's the breakdown. My screen is set up to show about 45 threads on page one. If there are two topics that have 4 or 5 threads on page one, (A) that's 10% of available space consumed by people who can't be bothered to post on someone else's thread, and (B) that's 8 or 9 threads on other topics that I might be interested in reading or contributing to that are NOT on page one because of self-centered people.

It's one thing if one of the threads has a substantially different spin on a topic, but usually they are making the same points using different verbiage.

Oh, it also is really unhelpful when such people pick thread titles like "Have you heard this" and "Ya know what?" and similar such things.

i for one cannot understand the frustration with repeat threads. anyone who takes time to get their panties in a bunch bout some threads needs to reevaluate themselves. I could care less if someone posted the same thing every day, just dont read em.

The problem is you have to wade through a bunch of garbage to find something worth talking about.

Some people crack me up too.

They post here that it doesn't matter to them that people start 45 different threads on the same thing because this is a message board and its to discuss stuff.

As if the only way to discuss stuff is to start your own personal repeat thread.

And in reality it doesn't matter if thats the way they feel, and that they don't care because the rules are that you have to post in similar threads instead of starting a different one.

Also, I don't think it is necessary to post a repeat thread just to get people to see your thought or idea. Just because people choose not to respond to your comment on page 5 of another thread, it doesn't mean they aren't at least reading it.

So while you may not see your lovely post in "lights" in someone's quote box, it is being seen. We can't always all be in the limelight, you know.

Also, I don't think it is necessary to post a repeat thread just to get people to see your thought or idea. Just because people choose not to respond to your comment on page 5 of another thread, it doesn't mean they aren't at least reading it.

So while you may not see your lovely post in "lights" in someone's quote box, it is being seen. We can't always all be in the limelight, you know.

Very good point tizzod.

The Stadium's intent is less for each person to speak his or her mind, and more for people to read, and post where approrpriate, the prevailing wisdom and thoughts about the 'Skins.

why start several threads of the same discussion?

it's basically, over egarness, to lazy to search, or too big an ego, wanted credit.

many times there are multiple same topic threds just a few threads apart.

I have a few main problems with limiting the number of threads that can be started on a particular topic.

If person X makes a thread about how we should cut Lavar, and that thread gets into a productive debate, but maybe has a spin of negativity. Then when I come in and post my opinion of keeping Lavar, I'm argueing in retaliation as opposed to in aggression. And my post is just another part of the discussion, but not a critical part.

And in particular, when I have a thread I want to start on Lavar, I want people to read the discussion. The first post in a thread is normally the most important because that kinda directs the flow of the conversation. So whoever reads my post, its like they've got to first read the starting post and decide that they want to continue reading.

I remember when I got accused of this when I was making stuff about Monk going to the HOF. There were a million threads about it, and everybody was talking about how great Monk was and how the media disrespects the Redskins, etc. Well I said that I'm gonna defend the media's argument. I could have posted this argument inside one of the other posts, but why should I have to? I think my ideas are good enough to stand on their own, and is particularly disturbing when I'm told to "try to find a topic the same as mine"

I mean, I even went and made a new topic after that that compared Monk to Tim Brown, and while it was discussing the same thing about Monk going to the HOF, it was a completely different argument.

My personal opinion of these redundant posts is that instead of complaining about the repeat posts, why don't we encourage more converastion amongst the good topics. If you post a good topic about something that gets pushed to page 2 or 3 really quickly, part of the problem is the new posts; but another part of the problem is that people are not replying to your topic. And maybe you need to face the reality that your topic isn't that good, and people just don't want to talk about it.

The message board operates to keep the most active topics at the top. So so long as you've got a good topic, then you should be fine. If not, well....

To take what I just said a step further, when I post those "todays news" threads, they aren't really threads that are due for conversation. So they can quickly get pushed to page two or 3. But people normally respond and say something like "Thanks", or "nice work", and that keeps my thread on the front page and in the active discussion.

I've always found it interesting that people who have all these wonderful suggestions for maintaining a message board community... never creates their own board.

Or as a coach, it's always the parents who don't contribute anything that are the ones that complain about the way fundraising is done or how the football team is run.

Do you know why I created a message board community? To be in an environment where I tried the things the things I believed in... and to see if it works. Funny how it worked out to where it has.

Same reason why I got into coaching. I wanted to try things my way.

If you aren't willing to "do" something about your values and principles.... then you agree to live in the environment and abide by its rules. Real simple.

Pete and Repeat went out in a boat and Pete fell out.

Who was left?

LMAO.

The general rule of thumb is.... DO A SEARCH. ALWAYS. NO EXCUSES. If the last discussion on the topic is over 72 hours old... and there isn't a SINGLE discussion on the topic within that time stamp.... then feel free to post a new topic.

There's no need to resurrect an old thread of a month ago... to talk about how you think the Redskins should trade LaVar.

Of course, that would be ideal. Just like if you went to a search engine and wanted to search a particular topic... and instead of having 300,000,000 results... it was all compiled nicely in a single Word document or webpage.

That's the purpose of keeping the same topics within the same threads. It adds value.

Most people don't think of the bigger picture unfortunately.... they think the POST NEW TOPIC button is a microphone for "the Stadium" (ie. podium).

Posted this in the Technical/Feedback forum, but thought it might be appropriate here.

Was over at one of the Seahawk's message boards, http://mb17.scout.com/fseahawksinsiderfrm1 , and they had a great feature that might help us out here.

When starting a new thread; and as you start entering the title of that thread, threads that have already been started with the same word you just typed are shown in a drop down to let you know if there is an existing thread that already is on the board so you can join in without having to start a new thread.

I like the feature because it does the search function automatically.

Perhaps you can check it out. I thought it might help alleviate all the repetitive thread starting here.

I dunno, my thoughts are #1. Its in the rules. #7 if you dont have time to read them all.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/announcement.php?f=24

I figure if you dont have the time or are too lazy to use the search function, then you probably dont have the time or are too lazy to read the rules. The rules were established before any of you (and I) got here, and we are guests, to be booted whenever the mods feel it is necessary to perserve the site. Guests should follow the rules. Its really that simple. Follow the rules.

#2, Extremeskins has been around for a long time, and there is a reason it is the most popular Skins MB. Not cool to come in right away and question its operation to fit your needs. There are 50,000 people on here now, why are you going to force the site to conform to YOUR wants. Thats selfish. You dont like it, start your own board. Seriously, its been done by several people.

#3, Your thoughts ARENT so important that they cant go in an already established thread. They just arent. Yeah, I know, everyone thinks they are the Smartest Man in America, we actually have a member who uses that name, but you arent. You just arent. So post your thoughts next to others' and see if they hold up.

Heh. I've been on this board since its founding five and half years ago. Just recently I surpassed 10,000 posts. Somewhere around post 5,700 the owners of this site noticed my writing to such an extent that they asked me to be a moderator.

You know how many threads I've started?

Using the search function is a good idea, but I really don't need it anymore. I always log on assuming whatever subject I'm thinking about has already been brought up. Chances are, if you've thought of it, heard it, read it or seen it, someone else on here has too. Most of the time a simple glance of the main board is all it takes to see. That doesn't mean you have nothing to offer. If you see a thread HAS already been started on a subject of interest to you, post in that thread. People DO actually read them. In fact, I'd say people read the bigger threads more often, as they are more likely to contain a lively debate or interesting discussion.

Newbies, hang out. Read the board. Learn it's ways and get used to posting here first, and this stuff will all work itself out. Shaking your fist at The Establishment armed with little to no familiarity of our community is not the way to go about exacting change here.

Newbies, hang out. Read the board. Learn it's ways and get used to posting here first, and this stuff will all work itself out. Shaking your fist at The Establishment armed with little to no familiarity of our community is not the way to go about exacting change here.

I agree. Too many new people pop in and say "i hope SA gets hurt this weekend." or, "Whats going to happen to lavar?" Hell I might have done that myself when I first joined.

While I understand the purpose of these guidlines and feel that they have value to the community, I don't understand the amount of energy people invest in complaining about repeat posts etc. Is it a pain to search though 10 posts on Lavar to find something new? Sure, but that's just the nature of the beast. With such a large and active community there will always be newbies who don't understand or simply won't follow the rules. Trying to change that is admirable, but unfortunately a lost cause. That's just my opinion. I simply don't feel that it's worthwhile to gripe at everyone that infringes on the guidlines. I don't see the benefit in it.

One thought I had concerning easing forum crowding etc, would be to add several sub-forums under the stadium. As it is now, the stadium sees by far more visitors than any other forum, and there are a wider variety of subjects dicussed here than I have seen almost anywhere else on the net. Would it not make sense to keep the original Stadium forum, which is esentially all things team related, and then add subforums to help guide the conversation and make it easier for a user to find subjects he wishes to converse with others on? Things like offense, defense, roster moves, etc. It would be a difficult decision what exactly to put in there, but I trust that the brain trust could find a solution that would work.

I think the news forum and league wide forums being linked into the stadium are a great idea, why not take it a step further? Would that be difficult to implement or monitor?

Hey everyone, follow the damn rules, or go somewhere else. I am sorry if your feelings get hurt when a staff member has to remind you about the rules you should already know. Quit you crying, and do what is requested of you, or look forward to being banned. Is it that hard to understand?? It is requested for a reason. In order to keep a well maintained web site, it is critical to keep the clutter to a minimum. There is absolutely no reason to have 50 threads related to the same subject matter, you can analyze it all you want. It is a priveledge to be a member of a community that is second to none in the NFL. Look at other teams sites if you disagree.

Not sure if this was ever discussed (at least I didn't start a new thread!!!)...

if a new feature was built into the Post Thread function that made you identify

the category & topic being posted, we could automate the policing of new threads

a little more easily.

i.e. Topic: LaVar Category: Sucks or Trade

OR Topic: ST Category: Spitting

I realize this concept would need some work, but an autosearch could take place

prompting the poster to select a thread that is close to their topic.

If none is selected, the poster could still be trusted to Add as New.

Just a thought.

Not sure if this was ever discussed (at least I didn't start a new thread!!!)...

the category & topic being posted, we could automate the policing of new threads

a little more easily.

Just a thought.

I was thinkina along these lines as well. The problem comes because it means we're trying to make the list of topics pretty discrete, which in reality its not. I may start a thread about Sean Taylor and Officiating, but the flow of the conversation could go towards "what it means to be a good head coach" or "how good is University of Miami" or a million other topics that wouldn't quite fit into any category we put the threads into.

Of corse I may be being too particular. Yahoo categorizes its sites discretely, and the site-maker just has to decide which category to put it into. Something like that may work here, but I'm not in favor of it.

Why don't members here just read more than the first page? If you read stuff from page 5 to page 1 then we wouldn't be worrying about how many new threads there are cuz a thread doesn't get off page 5 for at least 24 hours.

In a large community there are gonna be a lot of ideas, and if everybody says, "hey lets discuss this", then people will discuss the things they like and what they don't like will waste away.

a little more easily.

Just a thought.

There actually is a hack that does that. It might be worth looking into. I'll bring it up to the staff.

4,000 posts thread till seattle. are you kidding, these kinds of posts are started by members with 50 some odd thousand posts to thier name....

Agree, a bit arbitrary to say the least. However, I'm guessing that some of those meaningless threads started by "senior members" have become a bit of a tradition here over the years.

i do not get why moderators on these fan forums do not get it

no idea is original. Of course something has been probaly discussed earlier. If i want to start a thread on how Ramseys arm strength might be better for the offense, moderators will get mad and say " put in Brunell sucks". The point of these message boards is to have conversation not to bring something new to the table. If so

you might as well close down every fan forum. Everything we say has been repeated 20,000 times, every minute at all times of the day. You can basically MERGE every thread. And who wants to discuss something in a thread that is 20,000 pages long?

If you want something new and do want people to post new things you have to be basically a redskins insider .

Archived