Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In defense of repeat threads.

neongel

I love seeing this kind of effort to keep this site's level of quality high, while still welcoming everyone and everyone still being here to have fun. If you have both those goals like I do, than responsibility for how you post on this site will be part of the package. Learn the rules, respect the forum, and respect all the work that went into making it so fantastic before we got here. Help keep the quality up, don’t campaign to lower it. Even the “Y” has rules to make it a better experience than just “anything goes, its all good.”

threads that are mega merged are a joke too. Its like posting for no reason. When is there are 20 pages full of replys nobody is even responding. What is the point of posting without a response?

20 pages of replies... but no responses. Gotcha.

20 pages.... I don't want to read other people's opinions on the topic.... I just want them to read and respond to mine. Gotcha.

What's the matter dude? Not getting enough attention at home?

I didn't leaf through the fifty responses this thread has gotten, but I will say that I agree whole heartedly with the original post! :)

This is the definition of obvious. They guy that doesnt bother to read a thread he jumps into agrees with the original poster on duplicate threads...

The problem with you seasoned members is not your arguments (well that's part of it) but how you present your argument to the people like this thread starter.... It's the nature of most of the freedom loving people in this world to rebel against overbearing control freak whinny bytches.....I'm not saying that you are those things....but reading to some of your arguments sure makes you come off that way....

Since you are senior members and should have the power to make things the way you want them..You all seem like a bunch of intellegent people, I would think that you could take some of the ideas floating around about fixing what you think is wrong and implement them..... Just a word of warning though....no matter what you do ....It's gonna Piss some one off....just be fair and in my opinion.....try not to limit our freedoms too much....Hail.

My suggestions/request: let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Apply common sense. :)

Scan the board before starting a new thread to see if it's already being discussed. Especially for "news" type evenst you've just read/heard/seen elsewhere. I think the average response time between event and its being posted on ES is 12.6 seconds these days. Meaning, if you're not actually AT your PC with a "new topic" window already open in blank and ready to go, chances are someone already beat you to it.

And there is no prize for being "first", btw. There really isn't. :)

If, after you've briefly scanned the board (can you give us, maybe, 12.6 seconds? :) ) you have a unique take/angle on something that you judge worthy of its own thread, start it. Then allow the community to do its thing. If its a good thread that stands on its own, it'll stand on its own. If its repetitive or unoriginal, it'll be called such. Yes, sometimes some members will "thread Nazi" you unnecessarily. Ignore them. But if several people do it, or a moderator does it ... maybe you should consider the possibility that maybe they are not the ones missing the boat.

And then ... bottom line ... if you find your thread HAS been merged, please also consider giving your friendly humble moderators the benefit of the doubt that we don't do it for no reason. We don't do it to embarrass or muzzle anybody. We do it to try to maintain the balance between allowing people the freedom to express themselves with the interests of the rest of the community's ability to have a front page or two that is not dominated by, well, repeat topics that probably could and should have been incorporated into a previously existing thread where discussion is already ongoing.

Common sense. If you folks use it, and believe that we're trying to use it ... we'll not have to repeat THIS thread too many more times.

Or maybe we'll just merge future ones here. :)

My suggestions/request: let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Apply common sense. :)

Scan the board before starting a new thread to see if it's already being discussed. Especially for "news" type evenst you've just read/heard/seen elsewhere. I think the average response time between event and its being posted on ES is 12.6 seconds these days. Meaning, if you're not actually AT your PC with a "new topic" window already open in blank and ready to go, chances are someone already beat you to it.

And there is no prize for being "first", btw. There really isn't. :)

If, after you've briefly scanned the board (can you give us, maybe, 12.6 seconds? :) ) you have a unique take/angle on something that you judge worthy of its own thread, start it. Then allow the community to do its thing. If its a good thread that stands on its own, it'll stand on its own. If its repetitive or unoriginal, it'll be called such. Yes, sometimes some members will "thread Nazi" you unnecessarily. Ignore them. But if several people do it, or a moderator does it ... maybe you should consider the possibility that maybe they are not the ones missing the boat.

And then ... bottom line ... if you find your thread HAS been merged, please also consider giving your friendly humble moderators the benefit of the doubt that we don't do it for no reason. We don't do it to embarrass or muzzle anybody. We do it to try to maintain the balance between allowing people the freedom to express themselves with the interests of the rest of the community's ability to have a front page or two that is not dominated by, well, repeat topics that probably could and should have been incorporated into a previously existing thread where discussion is already ongoing.

Common sense. If you folks use it, and believe that we're trying to use it ... we'll not have to repeat THIS thread too many more times.

Or maybe we'll just merge future ones here. :)

nice post....I had an Idea once about this topic...but never got an answer from anyone.... one of my beefs when using the search engin on ES is the 90 sec delay between search requests....is there any way that can be eliminated or shortened? that would make searching much easier....and probably heppen more often....Just a thought....:notworthy

I don't start thread that often (I think I have started 3 or something.) I just read the articles or posts that other people post and offer my opinion in that thread. The repition of thread doesn't make me want to throw my monitor out of the window like some of you guys. The threads are titled about what is inside, if someone already posted something like it in a different thread, I just go to the one I already read to see if any new opinions or information was added after mine. It seems like some of you search for the repeat threads just to point out that it is a repeat thread. That to me is unneccessary. The person who started the thread most likely had no intention to start the thread just to repeat it. He or she was probably looking for some insight or wanted other members' thought. To me, the repeat threads aren't worth getting frustrated over, if you know when you read the title that is a repeat thread, then don't go into that thread. I always try to find the new information first, the info that I may have missed on ESPN, NFL Network, or ESPNNEWS. I apologize if this post offends anyone, just offering an opinion.

Go Skins. :logo:

20 pages of replies... but no responses. Gotcha.

20 pages.... I don't want to read other people's opinions on the topic.... I just want them to read and respond to mine. Gotcha.

What's the matter dude? Not getting enough attention at home?

What do you mean not getting enough attension at home? You are here more then me. You are moderator arent you?

Archived