Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell is injured: 2004 all over again (merged)

Rodriggo

I'm surprised at our so called "loyal fan base" now has the nuts to second guess the coaching staff on any single decision.

I would have loved to see more offensive production from this game, but you guys realized that we won?

How about letting the coaching staff do their job and stop assuming we know an iota of football compared to them. No one can deny that virtually every single "controversial" decision from Gibbs and Williams has turned out just fine. Why surface questions now?

I must be crazy,but Brunell is making very good decisions and showing the heart that has always made me proud to be a skins fan.I guess in the prior games one wont count the scarmbles he made for first downs to keep the drive alive while on a bad wheel,after all it doesnt look well on the stats..sure some will say "well if he would complete passes,he wont need to run",im behind brunell all the way this year and he is doing the plays that are sent to him.First down,run,second down run,third down pass then "brunell sucks" when he doesnt make a 80yd bomb to moss,the coaching staff is behind brunell the whole way,so am i ,and if your not and want to flame him go ahead,its really productive to get down on a guy who plays with intensity and wants nothing more than to bring us back a championship.The QB controversy was over long ago its brunell or bust this year,so relax and get behind your team and coaches if not brunell

ay

I agree. I understand people want to critize Mark for the poor passing display yesterday but honenstly in the first half i thought Mark played fine. I mean come on guys there wasnt anything open in the passing game. Give the Bucs credit they game planned to stop the big play and after Cooley got open early you could tell that they really made an effort to keep him covered. IN the second half the Bucs d played great you could tell that they were trying to get a turnover for there offense and they did just that. Our o line broke down alot in the second half also i dont think many of the critics are looking at that. In my opinion ive noticed when Cooley dosent get some catches early the offense really sputters. They double covered Moss which is what teams have been doing since the middle of the season, but the fact we couldnt get Cooley going really takes moss away even more. I think we need to start Motioning Cooley more next week because what opposing Ds are doing is bumping him off the line and disrupting his routes. I think next are offense will do some things and prove people wrong.

I dont see what everyone is talking about. I know our offense sputtered throughout the game, but we were up against the #1 D in the NFL. The Seahags D is no where near as fierce as TB's so I think our Offense will be able to kick it up a notch or two next week.

GO SKINS!!!

...because that's our job as fans? We sit here, we analyze thinks, we express how we feel, we argue etc. It's all part of being a fan. If you're happy with just sitting on your hands that's fine. Some of us like to talk about the things they see and experience.

That doesn't make us any less supportive or loyal than other fans.

Okay.. I understand the concerns.

We won ugly. I'll take it. We were up against the #1 defense.

But.... Gibbs and Co. gets paid the big bucks. When he benched Ramsey for Brunell... while I stated that I didn't 100% UNDERSTAND... because Ramsey had been promised the starting job... I also said to anyone who would listen that I have faith in Joe Gibbs and his decision making.

That decision making has gotten us this far. I'm not going to lose my faith now.

This is a team. Players have bad days. If the rest of the team bucks up and we come out with an ugly win, albeit ugly, hey... whose to call for the QB's head... he's a leader, he has class... Ramsey is one of his biggest supporters (he's handled the situation so well).

Keep the faith. Joe Gibbs is bringing that "special something" back to Washington.

I'm not following the reasoning that MB's hurt. He intially sustains a knee injury in the Giants game, plays fine last week vs the Eagles, has a bad game against the Bucs, and people say it's because he's hurt? That makes no sense. I say the only logical explination is the Buc's D just played a dam good game.

I agree, hes done great all season and these guys are whining b/c he hasnt done well in 2 VICTORIES!! keep the faith, brunell is the man.

Wow, 200 yards...you may be right and I hope so, but it is sad that 200 yards has now become something of great surprise and something that would show that Brunell is probably playing well.

When did 200 yards become a milestone for a great offensive performance by a quarterback?

That's pretty sad.

Brunell has one more week to get his knee better. With that, I think hes going to play better. With teams doubling on Moss, putting their best LB on Cooley, Taylor has got to get open.

Jacobs needs a ticket out of town. Thrash imo is far and away more reliable that Jacobs. If it was Thrash, Brunell was going to over the middle it would have either been caught or broken up. In that situation the WR has to become the defender and Jacobs didn't appear experienced enough to recognize that.

Wow, 200 yards...you may be right and I hope so, but it is sad that 200 yards has now become something of great surprise and something that would show that Brunell is probably playing well.

When did 200 yards become a milestone for a great offensive performance by a quarterback?

That's pretty sad.

200 yards is an average day for a good qb. 350+ yard days are few and far between for most QB's. Brunell didn't throw well today against a great defense it's understandible. I think he'll have better luck against Seattle's defense.

I'm not following the reasoning that MB's hurt. He intially sustains a knee injury in the Giants game, plays fine last week vs the Eagles, has a bad game against the Bucs, and people say it's because he's hurt? That makes no sense. I say the only logical explination is the Buc's D just played a dam good game.

Good job and not over complicating the game. That's all that happened the Bucs D is just that good, that's it, end of story.

Wasn't it Brunell's HAMSTRING that was hurt last year, not his KNEE? I think he is fine physically. His performance yesterday was dictated by our defense get us out to an early 14 point lead. As far as that throw that came up way short late in the game, he has been doing that all year...he gets tight as a drum in the 4th quarter. We will win on the ground and with defense. Brunell will not do it for us late in the game, but he won't lose it for us either (though the Jacobs pass was uncharactaristic).

I see your point Bang, but what are you trying to tell us next, that all those overthrown, underthrown and awful reads were all part of an ellaborate plan to lull the Bucs to sleep?

I sat in the endzone and had a chance to watch Brunell operate from behind center for 2 quarters. He had no zip on his passes and made some pretty awful reads missing wide open receivers on the right half of the field.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gibbs pulls him going into the third quarter next week if he continues to struggle like he did.

What puzzles me is most of the reasoned people here are not referring to the playcalling. I can see calling a conservative ball game when two defenses are playing as great as they were today. But for anyone who is honest with themselves to be watching the game and blame Brunell's obvious ineptitude on the conservative gameplan, has to have their heads buried firmly in the sand. It is not that Brunell threw only 15 times, or that he completed only 7 of those passes, or that he only threw for 40 yards. It is the manner in which he did those things that should be a concern.

People say we played it safe, yet in playing it safely Brunell skipped a bounce pass to an open Moss that would have kept a crucial drive alive. Part of the gameplan Bang? I think not.

On a perfectly executed(by all save the QB) fake screen to Moss in which he abused Barber with the spin move and was wide open in between the CB's and the safety deep, Brunell couldn't hit him and threw it out of bounds. Part of the gameplan? I think not.

In a critical situation, one of the times you would rather have him throw it away! Brunell rolled to his left and dumped it off to Portis for a loss of 5 yards. Must be part of the gameplan.

In an even more critical situation, Brunell rolls left, appears to panic, trying to make something happen instead of his "playing it safe" mantra, throws it across the field, telegraphing it to Taylor Jacobs, and if that was not bad enough, the pass was low. There was no way Jacobs had a shot at that ball. Should have thrown the ball away and allowed Frost to punt. But I'm sure that was part of the gameplan.

The fact is, if Brunell's knee is fine as he said, and I seriously doubt it is with this errant play he has been showing, then he must have hit the veteran wall. There comes a point in everyone's career where they just aren't good for a full season of productive play anymore, and it would appear Brunell has hit that point.

Brunell needs to find the fountain of youth against Seattle, because our defense is going to be tired, playing on a short week after a tough, physical game against Tampa. I say we need to score at the least 24 points, and I'm not even sure about that. And really, who is confident about that?

I'm only still pumped because I think we match up well with Seattle. Thank God we're not traveling to Chicago.

He's not hurt, he's just gone up against a couple of good defenses the last 2 weeks. Offensive players tend to not play as well when they go up against good Ds. If you can't grasp this concept, watch Brunell throw at least 2 TDs and 300 yards against the Seachickens.

Jacobs needs a ticket out of town. Thrash imo is far and away more reliable that Jacobs. If it was Thrash, Brunell was going to over the middle it would have either been caught or broken up. In that situation the WR has to become the defender and Jacobs didn't appear experienced enough to recognize that.

It was a terrible throw to begin with, and not only that but it was a low throw right into the defenders hands. Yes, Jacobs should have cut his route shorter when he was coming back, but it was a terrible throw. A veteran QB like Brunell should throw the ball away, which ironically he didn't do when that's his M.O. that everyone loves him for.

OK, to answer the many responses,

I know Brunell threw a pick, just because he's asked to run conservatively doesn't mean he's going to be perfect. It's his 11th INT of the season. It was a big one, but we survived it. Overall, it's hard to hold that one throw against him based on an entire season's worth of good decisions. PLUS, the Bucs ARE the #1 defense in the league, they are going to be able to dictate the game to just about anybody.

As to Brunells' ducks and overthrows, when you get a 14 point lead, there's no reason to try to squeeze one in and maybe get it picked and give the Bucs a short field.. when in doubt, throw it out. Punt, play field posision, and rely on your lights-out defense to hold your lead. Put the pressure on winning the game on the young QB who's never played in a playoff game.

It just COULD be his overthrows are on purpose to avoid a potential disaster. Not to lull an opponent to sleep, but to give them nothing to build on like a turnover.

Against Philly, he was gimpy going in, so they play it tight then, but also, the eagles were clearly inferior,, a group of 2nd and 3rd stringers,, special teamers playing pre-season ball in December. Completely overmatched. the ONLY way the Redskins were going to lose thatr game is by making mistakes and turning it over. There is no need at all to try to force things, you use your D and make that collection of benchwarmers turn the ball over.

Lo and behold, they did.

In yesterday;s game they adapted to the game, suddenly being handed a 14 point lead. Question is, how many points does our defense need to beat Chris Simms? Yesterday all they needed was 11, and got 17.

Prior to this winning streak, the Redskins were -13 in turnover differential, practically the worst in the NFL over that span. Since the win streak began the Redskins are +16 in turnover differential, #1 in the NFL over that span. This kind of defense gives you the luxury of being able to play conservatively. When you're working on short fields, and you have a defense that can make 17 points stick against a team that finished 11-5... why open it up and take chances against their top ranked defense?

In another game, had they not gotten that quick lead, I think you'd have seen more stops pulled out. But two quick turnovers that convert to points like that changes what you're going to do.

~Bang

If he's not hurt then he's hit the wall. I think you're somewhat delusioned if you can't see the decline in play since the middle of the season.

And you're delusional if you think Brunell had nothing to do with 101 points the Skins scored in their last 3 regular season games.

So you're calling Brunell a liar?

There have been numerous instances where athletes have downplayed the extent of the injuries or covered them up in order to play. "I'm fine" does not equal to "I'm completely healthy". Fine just means well enough to play, but not necessarily well enough to execute, which Brunell has not done the last two games with the exception of the deep throw to Moss against Philly.

Archived