Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Whitlock on Dan Snyder, Other Stuff

stwasm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060105

Marty Schottenheimer was black, the Chargers would've fired him after Saturday's loss to the Broncos.

I'm joking about the racial angle.

But seriously, why does Marty still have a job after ruining Drew Brees' career and hamstringing the Chargers organization? There was no reason to play Brees against the Broncos. Schottenheimer and the Chargers had the perfect opportunity to take a long look at second-year quarterback Philip Rivers.

Marty didn't even give Rivers any additional snaps in practice before the game. The Chargers went with Brees, and now Brees will have to undergo offseason shoulder surgery thanks to Broncos safety John Lynch.

The injury damaged Brees' contract leverage and now takes away San Diego's freedom to trade Rivers.

Marty might be the worst, widely respected coach in all of sports.

Memo to Nick Saban: Do not think for one minute that Gus Frerotte can lead the Dolphins next season.

Yes, the Dolphins finished the season with six straight victories, and Frerotte almost looked like an NFL quarterback in those six wins. But Frerotte is not the answer. The Dolphins need a veteran QB and a rookie draftee for next season.

Gus has a career completion percentage of 54 percent. He is not the answer.

Bill Cowher needs to turn Ben Roethlisberger loose in the playoffs.

Big Ben is beginning to look like a fraud playing in Cowher's ultra-conservative offense. In a must-win regular-season finale against the Detroit Lions, Ben completed 7 of 16 passes for 135 yards with two interceptions.

The Steelers are not going to make it to the Super Bowl with those numbers and totally relying on their running game and defense. Pittsburgh's defense just isn't that good. The Steelers can be gashed through the air and on the ground.

If the weather is halfway decent in Cincy this weekend, Roethlisberger should throw the ball at least 25 times.

NFL owners have to be irate with Daniel Snyder because of the contract he gave defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Snyder escalated coaching salaries a few years ago when he paid Marvin Lewis a million dollars to babysit Steve Spurrier. Now Williams is going to collect $2.6 million a year to carry Joe Gibbs' inconsistent offense. Wow.

NFL position coaches will soon be earning $500,000 a year thanks to Snyder's spending.

Vince Young should turn pro, and Jerry Jones should do everything within his power to make sure Young is a Cowboy.

You put Young in a Cowboys uniform next year and Dallas is a Super Bowl threat. Now I'm not convinced that Young is a can't-miss NFL prospect. He's not. His throwing motion might get him in trouble in the league.

But if you put Young with Bill Parcells and the Cowboys next year, I see that as a surefire winning recipe. If the Cowboys had a mobile, big-play quarterback, the Dallas defense would do enough for the Cowboys to win 12 games next season.

The Cowboys need to move up to No. 3 in the draft so they can select the UT quarterback. If Young isn't the third pick in the draft, he can blame Michael Vick.

Tiki Barber is the Marcus Allen of the new millennium.

Everyone is trying to figure out what to make of Tiki, the King of New York. Is he a Hall of Famer?

Yes, Tiki makes the Hall as long as he plays another four or five years at a high level and as long as he wins one Super Bowl. Tiki doesn't need any more 1,000-yard seasons. All he needs to do is continue to average 4.2 yards per carry and remain a steady contributor. This past season was his signature season, which was very similar to Allen's 1,759-rushing-yards, 1985 campaign. Now Barber just needs a signature Super Bowl moment, like Allen's zig-zag run against the Redskins.

Speaking of potential Hall of Fame running backs, it's strange that I have a greater appreciation for Jerome Bettis' body of work than Curtis Martin's.

I'd put The Bus in the Hall ahead of Martin, even though Martin has a few more rushing yards and way more receptions and receiving yards than Bettis. Martin is the league's fourth all-time leading rusher. Of all the backs in the top 15, only fullback-types Bettis and John Riggins averaged fewer yards per carry than Martin's 4.0 career average.

You knew the Texans were serious about drafting Reggie Bush when Tony Banks took the field to lead Dom Capers' final loss.

Another Cowpuke lover that hates the skins. Inconsistent offense? Maybe he can tell us how this inconsistent offense is ranked 11th in the league after playing some of the best defenses.

Did this idiot also try to suggest that Gibbs needs babysitting? Sure thing a-hole. Btw what did most so called experts say last year when the Cowpukes went on a 32 million dollar FA spending spree? Dallas to the SB that’s what. Now if Young becomes a cowboy Parcells will take this team again in the SB. Memo to all the idiots out there. Anyone care to guess what Parcells has done in his career without Bellicheck? I guess he needs babysitting also.

Honestly how the hell these people get these jobs.

Someone called it. I forget who, but somebody in the Williams signs extension predicted nearly word for word how this would be spun into more Dan Snyder Hate. I guess not surprising, but whoever you were take a bow.

Somehow, you just knew it would be twisted around or we'd see headlines like "Greedy Danny "Boy" Snyder keeps his coaches from seeking other jobs" or something like that... :laugh:

If I were an NFL owner I would be irate with Danny too. He's doing what it takes to win, and fans are going to demand that of their owners. If they are going to copy his marketing ideas, they better copy his spending too. No free lunches fellas.

I cant really feel bad for an NFL owner that is forced to put money into the hands of hard working coaches instead of buying one more ivory ass scratcher. $2.5 million a year salary? Some NFL teams made profits in the mulitple hundreds of millions of dollars last year. $2.5 m is nothing.

Actually, I thought the dumbest thing he said by far was that Big Ben needed to throw the ball 25 times or more for the steelers to win.

I can't remember the statistic exactly, but I know that the steelers are something like 1-5 when Big Ben throws more than 20 times, and like 23-0 when he doesn't.

This doesn't make any sense. Snyder has been bashed in the past for creating instability. Now when he makes a move that will keep the core coaching staff together for three more years he again gets bashed. What does he have to do to get some praise?

Win a Super Bowl or 2.

No matter what positive thing Snyder does, it always seems to be turned into a negative with the media. :doh:

All I can say about the Williams signing is...........

Snyder, U da MAN!!!!!! :notworthy

Well it always poilicy for the lazier and less perceptive writers to take a shot at Snyder whenever possible, or stir old pots as often as opportunity presents. It lightens that there "thinking before I write" burden.

Inconsistent offense? Granted, we're no 16-game machine and there has been some variance. But the last five games we've outscored our oppnents by a lot of points, we're currently ranked 11th in total offense out of 32 teams, and we have two guys who this season set the two biggest offensive records you can get (running/receiveing) in the franchise's history. That hardly seems like the ax to grind.

And I'm no marty-lover personally, but I respect the guys skills and record. I think that was a very cheap shot, to use low-brow hindsight, with something as unfortunate as the injury to Brees just to make yourself look smart at marty's expense. His decision to play Brees to that point is as defendable as it is questionable.

And I'm no marty-lover personally, but I respect the guys skills and record. I think that was a very cheap shot, to use low-brow hindsight, with something as unfortunate as the injury to Brees just to make yourself look smart at marty's expense. His decision to play Brees to that point is as defendable as it is questionable.

I agree here, this guys a writer not a coach. Just because your team in not making the playoffs doesn't mean you don't put the best players in position to win the game.

It sucks that Brees got hurt, but to blame Shottie is a low blow.

I am also tired of writers saying that SD in the best team not in the playoff's, if they are a good team they would have made the playoffs.

On Marty. I am no Marty lover either, even when he was here. But he has done an awfully good job out there. 2 years ago they were the worst team in the league and so bad that the #1 pick in the draft wouldnt even sign there.

Last year they were awfully good.

Now they are one of the better teams in the league, and did so with 0 production from the player they got out of that draft (Rivers).

Like I said, I dont like Marty, never have. But i respect what he has done out there. Its almost as good a job of franchise building as Gibbs has done here.

I said almost.

Whitlock is a hack.

Archived