Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Whitlock on Dan Snyder, Other Stuff

stwasm

If Snyder had let Gregg Williams leave, morons like Jason Whitlock will see it as another example of how Snyder doesn't know how to own a football team. Instead, Snyder got the deal done thereby removing potential distraction and he's still done wrong? oh please. If the Patriots' owner had pulled this move, all these writers would see it as a savvy move. But done by snyder and it's the end of the NFL.

"Yes, Tiki makes the Hall as long as he plays another four or five years at a high level and as long as he wins one Super Bowl."

That ticks me off. Winning a Super Bowl does NOT determine whether or not a player is HOF worthy. Pure crap!

While I can understand the other owners point of view when it comes to paying Gregg Williams so much I don't think it is wrong on Snyder's part. The owners know that the contracts of the players and coaches is going to constantly go up, however they want to control the rate at which it goes up. Snyder basically ignored that idea and now other coordinators with similar track records are going to expect Gregg Williams type money. With that said Williams definitely wanted to stay with the Skins, but how much money was he going to risk losing just to stay with them when he could be a head coach? Snyder did what he had to do in order to keep Williams from becoming a head coach (which was definitely going to happen.)

For someone like Snyder who made a lot of bonehead decisions his first few years as owner, he has defintely stepped it up in the last couple of years and made a lot of wise decisions. One thing that I like about him is that he really doesn't give a damn what the other owners think about him.

Purely aside from other front offices being mildly frustrated that the price of an in-demand coordinator just went up, I would honestly think the reaction to Snyder's move would be 100% positive -- he simulataneously kept one of the best young D coordinators in football on the sideline, helped ensure that the team has first crack at him if Gibbs retires after year 3 and gave the team a nice shot in the arm going into wild card weekend. Everything about it makes sense and since it's his money and has no effect on the cap, what could there possibly be to hate? He's not only fostered short-term stability, but potentially maintained long-term stability if Gibbs retires after next season. D'uh.

To be fair, he did formerly play for Ball State in college...

uh... lol

Oh, c'mon! Don't be hatin' on Ball State and all those NCAA football titles it's claimed over the years. That's a virtual pro factory, there! :jk: :jk: :jk: :jk:

Some of you guys are so biased towards the Skins that you can't even see the light of truth.

Whitlock is 100% right to say that other NFL owners are mad at Dan Snyder. The situation isn't much different as when Texas Rangers owner Tom Hicks paid $252 million for Alex Rodriguez -- an overzealous owner is artificially raising the salary bar. What is there to disagree about?

And second, why are you guys jumping on Whitlock for saying the Skins offense is inconsistent? Sure, it's been better lately, but we couldn't beat Oakland, we didn't do much against Chicago, or the first meeting with Dallas, or Arizona. It's not a stretch to say that the offense has been, at times, inconsistent.

Go ahead and flame me, but some of you guys need to wake up.

Me either. Kinda like Scoop Jackson.:rolleyes:

Ugh, Whitlock isn't close to the same league as that closet racist. Everything with Scoop is "black this" and "black that." Ty Willingham didn't get the praise that Charlie Weis did because he didn't energize the troops like Weis did. How is Notre Dame racist because of that? :violin:

Some of you guys are so biased towards the Skins that you can't even see the light of truth.

Whitlock is 100% right to say that other NFL owners are mad at Dan Snyder. The situation isn't much different as when Texas Rangers owner Tom Hicks paid $252 million for Alex Rodriguez -- an overzealous owner is artificially raising the salary bar. What is there to disagree about?

And second, why are you guys jumping on Whitlock for saying the Skins offense is inconsistent? Sure, it's been better lately, but we couldn't beat Oakland, we didn't do much against Chicago, or the first meeting with Dallas, or Arizona. It's not a stretch to say that the offense has been, at times, inconsistent.

You can call this a flame if you like.

To me, it's odd you'd ask those questions if you actually read all the posts prior to yours. Unless you did but somehow didn't notice, or ignored, the comments that directly rebut your talking points.

" cant really feel bad for an NFL owner that is forced to put money into the hands of hard working coaches instead of buying one more ivory ass scratcher."

HAAAA--that's awesome. Yeah, screw em. Dan figured out you can buy the best coaches, just not the best team. The damn NFL is so much about coaching now, why not spend an extra million or two. These guys are worth sometimes over a billion dollars (owners), why not spend the money???

Snyder isn't trying to raise the market value of assistants. He owns the team and can pay whatever he wants to. If other assistants think they deserve what Snyder pays that is fine and dandy. But they don't work for him.

With Turner, Haslett, Capers, Tice, and Martz getting fired there will be coaches who want these guys as coordinators. That is one thing they can all do well. These are names that will command top dollar in the coaching market, even before Williams was given his raise. Sorry up and comers your time is going to be later rather than now.

Gregg Williams' new contract will probably have an impact on the DC and OC positions, but not on position coach's salaries. There are so many qualified candidates that are just aching at a shot to coach in the NFL that there's no way position coach's would ever be in demand. :2cents:

I agree 100%.

This doesn't qualify as a Snyder bash to me. It just says that the new Williams deal is going to make other owners mad. So what?

He doesn't say it was a bad move. He doesn't say that Williams doesn't deserve the money. He's just saying that Williams' contract has raised the bar on the salaries of assisstant head coaches. And it has. And as many people on this thread have said, that's other owners' problems.

And yes, the offense has been inconsistent this season. Even during the winning streak, it wasn't able to do much against Arizona. And it certainly wasn't doing much before the winning streak.

As for the racial issue...read the whole column. The very FIRST thing he says is, well, here's the quote...

When Herm Edwards can follow up the Pittsburgh playoff meltdown with a 4-12 season and still have a half-dozen NFL franchises interested in his services, it's safe to say the minority coaching issue is dead in the NFL.

Seriously, NFL owners want to win, and they don't care all that much about the color of their football coach anymore. If anything, with a league that boasts rosters dominated by African-Americans, the owners probably feel black head coaches might have a better chance at reaching the players.

Given the success of Lewis, Dungy and Smith, and given the fact that the NFL is a copycat league, I'm not sure the league will need the rule requiring owners to interview minority candidates.

Honestly, I wonder if anyone has written a column, for ESPN.com or NFL.com or any other high traffic sports site where they wrote anything that could be in any way interpreted as the slightest criticism of the Redskins without having their article flamed on this site.

Some of you guys are borderline fanatics.

I mean, I love you guys, but you're nuts...

I will be concerned about the other owners in the NFL when they begin to be concerned about me and other fans...I'm not counting on having to be concerned too soon. The Redskins owner and Head Coach/President decided that their Defensive Coordinator was too important to their current success and future to let mere money get in the way...as a 46 year Redskins fan I am gratified they want to win for us. Many teams try and do coaching on the cheap and spend huge money for individual players. I've always believed teams win championships and that role players stepping up when needed often make the most critical difference in the big games. Coaches help prepare them and I don't begrudge Coach Williams his money...he earns it every day.

As far as some of the other thoughts from the ESPN "expert" Mr. Whitlock, it appears he is more interested in "shock" sportswriting rather than thoughtful sportswriting, but this perception could be because I'm an old guy out of step with today's trends.

Our owner was a first time owner who had to learn on the job...he may have made a few detours along the way but it looks to me like he's got us on the right road once again. We may not win it all this year, but you can't win the Super Bowl unless you get to play in the playoffs and look out Bucs...our Redskins are on the way down to the Bay!

All Hail! :helmet:

Archived