Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP Comeback Player of the Year - It's a Tie!!!

PCRoughrider

Their teams surely enjoyed their contributions, which earned 18 votes each from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. That easily outdistanced Washington quarterback Mark Brunell with six; Tennessee defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch with five; Detroit receiver Roy Williams, Tampa Bay receiver Joey Galloway and Minnesota receiver-kick returner Koren Robinson, each with one vote.

Smith, Bruschi share AP comeback player award

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2280984

I posted earlier that if Mark Brunell didn't win CPoY, it would be the greatest slight this team has suffered this year.

A tie that doesn't include him is even more of a slight! :doh:

This is ridiculous. While I have nothing but admiration for Bruschi, typically the comeback award goes to a guy who had a horrible season the previous year, not someone who made the Pro Bowl. :mad:

This is ridiculous! Most comeback player awards don't go to a player that was injured and then just happened to play in the following season.

Smith had an awesome year, but he was injured the previous year.

Bruchsi astually played last year. What?...he had a better year than last year.

I'm sorry this is a joke!

It's not that big of a deal that Brunell didn't win. Smith severely broke his leg and missed all of last year only to put up the best numbers of all WRs this year. All Bruschi did was recover from a stroke only to turn a pretty bad defense into the typical Patriots defense that has won them 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls after his return. While Brunell did have a remarkable season considering the way he played last year, he isn't more deserving than them considering their situations. :2cents:

I don't want to take anything away from the life threatening stroke...but come the #$@% on...

This is like Jordan getting comeback player after he came back from retirement the first time.

Mark, go win the Super Bowl and shut the press up.

Steve Smith had a monster year coming back from a broken leg. He's been mentioned in MVP talk. The Panters are a 5-11 team without him.

Bruschi had a stroke. It's an inspirational story. I have no problem with him winning comeback player of the year award either.

Players come back from injuries and have great seasons all the time. This isn't 30 years ago when medical treatment wasn't as advanced.

And for Bruschi, give him some sort of inspirational award, not comeback player of the year.

Mark deserved to get, at least, a representative number of votes. And he didn't. :mad:

Bruschi only missed 7 games. Good grief. That's not a comeback that's coming back from the bathroom after an intermission.

I don't dismiss that he worked hard to get back to playing and his life was in danger but as far as football goes he was hardly even gone.

I don't think injuries should be allowed as a "comeback" status.

Hey at least Joe Theisman believes that Mark Brunell should be the comeback player of the year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2279043

Joe Theismann

Mark Brunell is easily the guy for this award after the season he had last year. He was written off by a lot of people as being too old to be effective, but this season has proven the naysayers wrong with another great season and a playoff berth. He might not be as fleet of foot as he was with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but Brunell makes up for his lost quickness with great field awareness.

The problem I have with players returning from injury is that it opens the door up to anyone who got hurt the previous year. Bruschi is obviously a sentimental choice due to the fact that he had a stroke, otherwise it's absurd that you can give this award to someone who missed half the season.

Brunell should have won the award for everything that Joey T said. It seems to define what a comeback is about. He was written off as being done and over the hill, and instead turned his career around, led his team to the playoffs, and threw the most TD's of his career.

Does anyone believe that if Michael Jordan had missed a season due to injury, that he would be named comeback player of the year the following season? I highly doubt it... As a matter of fact, I just checked and the NBA doesn't even have a comeback award, but a Most Improved Player award, which seems more fitting, rather than the NFL award which lumps everyone in one category, regardless of improvement.

Come on you all dont act suprised. Its the same way as with the Pro Bowl, Players of the week (although that has improved here lately) and the Hall of Fame. For some reason Skins get no media recognition. The team and its players always seem to be at the bottom of everybodys list for that past decade. Cant really tell you how it was before then cause I was still ****tin yellow, lol.

This is ridiculous. While I have nothing but admiration for Bruschi, typically the comeback award goes to a guy who had a horrible season the previous year, not someone who made the Pro Bowl. :mad:

Bruschi got it because he had a stroke, not because of his play on the field, it is a sympathy vote, Smith deserved this award though.

My opinion:

If you were a great receiver, got hurt, came back a still a great receiver - comeback player for sure...

If you had a stroke and came back after 7ish games.. Your IRONMAN award.. you never left to come back...

If you had crappy year after crappy year and then had a pro-bowl type year that is a comeback.

Archived