Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP Comeback Player of the Year - It's a Tie!!!

PCRoughrider

Sorry, but coming back from having a subpar season is nothing in comparison to what Smith and Bruschi went through. Some of you need to take of those burgundy glasses every once in a while.

Bruschi missed 7 games, being an emotional leader doesn't count in the statistics column. I'm not saying Mark should have won hands down, I think Steve Smith deserved the award by himself. Bruschi got a sympathy vote.

For those who buy into the Bruschi hype, you DO realize that Comeback Player Awards always went to people who were once good who became good again or those who missed most or all of the previous season with injuries.

I don't think ANYONE has received the award after playing great the year before and having an OFFSEASON issue and missing games coming into the season.

Worst award EVER.

So a former pro bowl QB goes from the worst year of his career (and maybe the worst year Ive ever seen out of a QB) to arguably the best year of his career and a playoff berth? Unbelievable.

Tedy Bruschi?? Ugh. He's a good guy and all, but ESPN needs to get off his jock. If he wasnt a Patriot he wouldnt have even been in the top 5 in votes...

When you so completely dismiss what Mark Brunell accomplished this season, and at his age no less, you completely dismiss what this team accomplished this year.

How many 35 year old quarterbacks throw for the most touchdowns in their careers?

Not to mention the best TD to INT ratio of their careers. Total horse****. Brunell deserved this award big time, considering he lost his job two years in a row, first to Leftwich, then to Ramsey, to come back and play the way he did this year was phenomenal.

Eff Tedy Bruschi...I'm so sick of the Patriots and the media love-affair with them...such crap. Him and whiny-ass Tom Brady should go jump off a bridge. Ugh.

I always wondered if any player ever really wanted to win this award--too much of an acknowledment that your previous season sucked than a true pat on the back for THIS season. So altho I don't think it really belongs w/ a player who simply returned from an injury, on one level I'm glad Brunell didn't get it.

I cant believe people are dissing Bruschi because he "only" had a stroke.... Ok he might not deserve this award but to come back from something like that (a potentially life threatening illness) does deserve some recognition. I agree on the Brunell thing however, the guy has had a stellar season but please dont beat up on someone else out of a fit of jealousy.

What no votes for Jon Jansen???

Offensive linemen are generally ignored for all of these awards with a few exceptions (Orlando Pace as ROY comes to mind). Sportswriters want good stories, and unfortunately the masses are not football intelligent, so would rather see a WR or LB get votes than a "boring" offensive lineman.

Of course, Brunell deserved it more than Jansen, but I agree...Jansen should have at least gotten some votes.

This is ridiculous. While I have nothing but admiration for Bruschi, typically the comeback award goes to a guy who had a horrible season the previous year, not someone who made the Pro Bowl. :mad:

Yeah, He only had a stroke. That's nothing. Brunell had a lot more to overcome....

Seriously forget your bias and open your eyes. Bruschi came back and contributed after suffering a stroke in a season that he probably shouldn't of even come back. Smith came back and had his best year ever after missing 15 games last year. Smith meant a heck of a lot more to his team than Brunell did. Even Kyle Vandenbosch a guy who teared both ACL's (or had some sort of knee injury on both legs) came back and was fourth in the league in sacks. Brunell was horrible the past two years, but he deserved to be fourth as his comeback was nowhere near as remarkable as the three guys.

Sorry, but coming back from having a subpar season is nothing in comparison to what Smith and Bruschi went through. Some of you need to take of those burgundy glasses every once in a while.

I agree. Brunell's season/performance pales in comparison to Bruschi's and Smith's. Any other year, Brunell wins this award. Bad timing.

Besides, who cares about individual acomplishments when as a team, we can possibly achieve the ultimate- A Lombardi Trophy ? :2cents:

I know Brunell is 35 and everything, but why is he getting so much flack for his age? I mean I know plenty of QB's who retired 37 or 38, and left at the top of their game? Wasn't Brunell's contract with the Redskins for like 7 or 8 years? Why did they sign him for such a long contract if they figured he was on his way out? Please don't laugh at me for asking a question like this, but I have always wondered this ever since I started hearing the comments about Mark Brunell's age.

I'm not going to argue that Mark Brunell deserves this award. I'm obviously biased. However, giving it to Brusci is a joke. They're redefining comeback player of the year, so they can give it to Brusci. I guess just because he's been in the news all year, and it's sentimental and stuff. That's ridiculous.

Comeback player of the year has always meant a player who was good at one time, had a couple of bad seasons, and then was suddenly playing well again. Teddy Brusci had a great season last year, and then came back from an injury. No disrespect to Brusci, and given the fact that he came back from a stroke, I'll admit that what he did was extremely impressive. But that's not what the award means, so he doesn't deserve it.

It's not that big of a deal that Brunell didn't win. Smith severely broke his leg and missed all of last year only to put up the best numbers of all WRs this year. All Bruschi did was recover from a stroke only to turn a pretty bad defense into the typical Patriots defense that has won them 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls after his return. While Brunell did have a remarkable season considering the way he played last year, he isn't more deserving than them considering their situations. :2cents:

I have to agree with that. :applause:

I'm not going to argue that Mark Brunell deserves this award. I'm obviously biased. However, giving it to Brusci is a joke. They're redefining comeback player of the year, so they can give it to Brusci. I guess just because he's been in the news all year, and it's sentimental and stuff. That's ridiculous.

Comeback player of the year has always meant a player who was good at one time, had a couple of bad seasons, and then was suddenly playing well again. Teddy Brusci had a great season last year, and then came back from an injury. No disrespect to Brusci, and given the fact that he came back from a stroke, I'll admit that what he did was extremely impressive. But that's not what the award means, so he doesn't deserve it.

You are wrong on so many levels here. First off it's Bruschi. 2nd off look at 1997 (Robert Brooks), 1999 (Bryant Young), 2000 (Joe Johnson), 2001 (Garrison Hearst) winners. All guys who won the award coming off of injury seasons. You can even say that your belief isn't valid when you look at 2003 winner Jon Kitna, and 2004 winner Drew Brees. Those guys won the award despite coming back from nothing because they were never very good in the first place. Brees had one average season followed up by a horrible season and then the next season he was tremendous. Kitna was benched so many times during his tenure in Seattle and was nothing but a below average QB up until his great MVP type year in 2003.

Comeback player of the year is meant for a guy who plays at a high level and for a period of time and then for whatever reason, be it injury or something else has a period of bad play or inability to play and then comes back and is able to play at a high level once again. This is why Jon Kitna and Drew Brees didn't deserve the award in their respective years and this is also why Brunell defintely didn't deserve it over Smith, Bruschi, or Vandenbosch.

Archived