Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Negative fans suck and now will shut up :).

Art

I specifically stated in the game thread, down 17-7 against an absolutely atrocious Eagles team, that the season was over. That certianly falls under the later category. I was venting. Frustrated. Trying to shake the NORVousness. I just don't think it's fair to label me, and others, as "trolls" for being emotional.

Anyway, congrats fellow 'Skins fan. Here's to the end of the Dark Ages!!

:cheers:

Venting is one thing, but those who posted the same negative thought over and over are fairly called trolls.

Just a few questions and an analysis on what some of the problems are:

So is this what some posters were talking about 6 months ago when the Redskins took over ownership here? Is it going to be a police state on posting from here on out and all must agree with keeping a player like Brunell in the game even though he can't throw the ball 15 yards effectively, which is what a lot of members were claiming?

I am all for having guidelines, such as newbie posters can't start new threads more than once a week/day or something to keep good threads from being on page 10 after an hour. Or having a separate forum or several forums for talking about players/trades/draft or other things besides the actual Redskins.

What I don't see is banning people for being the idiots that they are given access to be around here. Day in and day out there are members starting 5-10 threads one right after the other on BS, but its allowed therefore all we see are 1000s of complaints about it all day, 24 hours a day. I started a thread earlier today and 1-2 minutes later it was on page 3 or 4. If there was a limit then people would save their thread until they really had something to say. If not then they couldn't start another one for whatever timeframe the setting is set to.

I don't get to watch the games, and didnt get to see the one today. The game thread used to serve a purpose for people like me who can't watch the game. I used to come here, read the game thread and I could pretty much follow the game from start to finish. Not anymore. I saw several requests in the thread if others could give us some information on what is going on other than "Goddamed Brunell" or "Hell Yeah my broski ST". A few seemed to be trying to make it an actual game thread while 500 others made it seem like I was in the stands with a blindfold on.

It would be appreciated by more than just a few members if there could be an actual game thread dedicated to the game from here on out. I am sure that there are people watching the game who wouldn't mind giving us a sort of play by play with some "hell yeah ST just picked up a fumble and ran it in for 6" and "Portis ran behind Jansen for 5 yards" type posts.

The way the game thread is now I can tell when something big happened in the game because when I'm on page 53 reading through all the bs and i click refresh suddenly the last page is 57 and it takes a couple minutes to read through all the "Ramsey should be in the game" and "Gibbs is an idiot for playing Brunell" and "Why didn't he throw it away that time" and "Bull****" and "Why the **** did he do that" posts to finally get foxsports to refresh and see that Brunell threw an Int.

I think the board needs to change certain things before it starts just randomly banning people for not being the type of fan certain others prefer. Otherwise you risk there being an even greater elitist attitude which is unwarranted for the most part. The noobs could just not have access to every function or be limited in how often they start the same old stupid threads. If they don't like it then there are about 50K members here anyway so no biggie. :2cents:

Friendly suggestion:

Part time fans, pay attention to full time committed fans during games. We might show some disappointment but we still support the team.

I have a 12 year old daughter that's a die hard fan. She watches the game with me and understands the game quite well. I have never heard her say "we're going to lose" or "put Ramsey in" by the way the Redskins are playing a game. Instead, she'll say "get the ball to Moss, Cooley or Sellers" or "give it to Portis!"

I know watching the game sometimes can make you disappointed but always support the team, always.

Just a friendly suggestion!

Thank you,

Smooth :)

I don't get to watch the games, and didnt get to see the one today. The game thread used to serve a purpose for people like me who can't watch the game. I used to come here, read the game thread and I could pretty much follow the game from start to finish. Not anymore. I saw several requests in the thread if others could give us some information on what is going on other than "Goddamed Brunell" or "Hell Yeah my broski ST". A few seemed to be trying to make it an actual game thread while 500 others made it seem like I was in the stands with a blindfold on.

It would be appreciated by more than just a few members if there could be an actual game thread dedicated to the game from here on out. I am sure that there are people watching the game who wouldn't mind giving us a sort of play by play with some "hell yeah ST just picked up a fumble and ran it in for 6" and "Portis ran behind Jansen for 5 yards" type posts.

The way the game thread is now I can tell when something big happened in the game because when I'm on page 53 reading through all the bs and i click refresh suddenly the last page is 57 and it takes a couple minutes to read through all the "Ramsey should be in the game" and "Gibbs is an idiot for playing Brunell" and "Why didn't he throw it away that time" and "Bull****" and "Why the **** did he do that" posts to finally get foxsports to refresh and see that Brunell threw an Int.

I'll take this part of your post & let Art answer the rest of it cause 1) I think you're way off base in what you were understanding & 2) It's Art's thread & he can speak for himself better then I can.

As far as a seperate, no comment game thread, we've done that in the past. Or we've at least tried it. The last time someone mentioned it, I asked for a volunteer or two. One guy said he'd run it & keep it updated. Come game day, the guy never even showed up online to do it. There hasn't been a seperate game thread since. I believe most people wanting that seperate thread just go to nfl.com or cbssportsline.com or somewhere where the same info can be found.

The non-fans predicting doom just because we didn't jump out to a 20-point lead at the start of this game need to avoid this team from now on. This time is for fans of this team who love this team and hope for the best, not worst. If you are such a jerk as to attempt to ruin the feeling of finally STARTING to achieve as a team, go ahead and root for someone else.

And do it somewhere else.

This board has no room for homers like you.... :silly: :notworthy

The non-fans predicting doom just because we didn't jump out to a 20-point lead at the start of this game need to avoid this team from now on. This time is for fans of this team who love this team and hope for the best, not worst. If you are such a jerk as to attempt to ruin the feeling of finally STARTING to achieve as a team, go ahead and root for someone else.

And do it somewhere else.

Art your original post here seems to have morphed as this thread has gone on.

Now it is being stated that negativity is fine as long as you do it in a mature and factually way.

I believe this the example you agreed with.

Originally Posted by Joe Gibbs II

Some people are dense here. There's a difference between

"Brunell is struggling and can't seem to move that well, Ramsey would give us a better chance"

and

"Gibbs is an idiot for having Brunell in, now we're going to lose because of his knee"

Things like this were said, those are the kind of statements being addressed.

No where in your thread starting post do I see any of this explained. All I read is you being tired of the doom and gloom posters.

I've already posted a quote from "Die-hard" where he was very much predicting doom and gloom.

He stated Brunell was finished (this was after the Arizona game) and that the Cowboys were going to kill us.

Odviously I consider Die-hard someone that I and others should follow and learn from as far as how to act on this message board.

So I hope you can see how if I just read your starting post for this thread for what it exactly says that I might wonder if you were calling out post like Die-hards, someone like I said that I try to learn from.

What I don't appreciate is being called dense and you agreeing with that statement because I questioned who you were exactly calling out.

I think you can admit your post says nothing about ligit negativity post, that idea seems to have evolved throughout this thread.

I think you would have been better served to explain the complete meaning of this thread yourself rather than letting other posters do it for you and agree with them as they do.

DING for the newbie.

It ain't hard.

Actually it is hard when you don't make your view clear in your initial post.

You were calling out doom and gloomers, you said nothing about people that use the word, "sucks" and "idiot" too much when posting their negativity.

Just my :2cents:

Art, I don't want this to be a personal battle here, i'm really just reacting to the statement where I and anyone else that questioned who you were exactly calling out, are dense. I hope i've explained my position.

The official game thread is the internet equivalent of being at home and drinking and cursing at the screen.

I never got the condemnation of negative posts on the the game thread. No one curses at the screen and yelps in excitement within the space of a few seconds at home?

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

The gloom and doomers who actually appear ONLY to be happy when things are not going as well as you'd like and who almost never show up otherwise are those I'm addressing. They arrive with GLEE when things are down and disappear when they aren't. It's because they aren't actually fans of THIS team.

i have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. you'll be hard pressed to find a more dedicated 'skins fan than me (i know, we all think that). but i don't come here after a loss. is it because i'm not a true fan? no. it's because it takes me 2-4 days to get over a loss. i take a few steps back from football after a loss so that i don't go crazy. there is so much emotion involved in being a die hard fan of this team. just because i don't visit this site and rah-rah, rally the troops after a loss doesn't make me a non-fan.

blah blah blah. I will root for the team as I see fit.
lol..who made you God? I watch the Redskins and have the ups and downs of every normal fan. When the Skins look bad, I get pissed. I've been known to boo, throw the remote control at the TV, and kick dogs (of this, I am kidding). When they look good, I am elated, cheer, hug friends and family, etc. I have been watching the Redskins for over 30 years and don't need YOU to tell me how to root for the team.
There's something about these two posts that, in light of the original post and who originated this thread, is kind of like watching the petite, attractive, unathletic and unarmed woman go up the stairs in a horror movie. Or watching someone slip and fall face-first into a huge mud puddle in slow motion.

Before anything else, Congrats on the win, guys! You're in! It has been quite a ride. I hope you make it to Seattle (consider this an invitation :D)

Re. the topic: There was a guy on the Seahawk message boards in the preseason and into the season that kept insisting the Seahawks wasted their draft picks, Holmgren was an idiot, no way were the Seahawks going over 8 wins this year, etc. I haven't seen him (I haven't been looking, actually) for the past few months, but he served as a window into the soul of these kinds of "fans".

Common denominators:

They are very knowledgeable people. They have "contacts", they know more about football than most people. They know more about football than you do. They know more about football than the coaches. They display their brilliance brilliantly, and if you can't recognize their superior knowledge/experience/contacts/reasoning skills, then you're a moron.

They are realists. Optimism bothers them because it's a sign of stupidity and a lack of ability to deal with the facts as they are. And if you can't see that, then you're just an idiot.

They have sophisticated senses of humor and dry wit. And if you can't tell when they're being sarcastic, then you're just stupid.

[Oh, man! Someone on CNN radio just announced the firing of head coach "Mike Rice"! LOL!!!]

Originally Posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

The official game thread is the internet equivalent of being at home and drinking and cursing at the screen.

I never got the condemnation of negative posts on the the game thread. No one curses at the screen and yelps in excitement within the space of a few seconds at home?

that pretty much sums it up, don't get why people don't understand that.

The people that are still complaining after a win though, (ie "we don't deserve to be in the playoffs") those guys are real haters.

Art,

I stopped going to the "game thread" after the third game and subscribed to the NFL ticket so I could hear what was going on. As an avid diehard living in Florida, I found it very frustrating to scroll thru page after page of:

"great play", "damn", "@%$#", etc. with little real information on what was happening. A number of us who don't get regular telecasts or local Washington area radio repeatedly asked for meaningful updates with very little response. To call it a "game thread" is really a stretch.

I love this site and visit several times a day and really enjoy and appreciate the vast amount of news and information provided by most of the members but the "game thread" is nothing more than a cheer or vent forum. Whether it is positive or negative really should not make any difference. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Art,

I stopped going to the "game thread" after the third game and subscribed to the NFL ticket so I could hear what was going on. As an avid diehard living in Florida, I found it very frustrating to scroll thru page after page of:

"great play", "damn", "@%$#", etc. with little real information on what was happening. A number of us who don't get regular telecasts or local Washington area radio repeatedly asked for meaningful updates with very little response. To call it a "game thread" is really a stretch.

I love this site and visit several times a day and really enjoy and appreciate the vast amount of news and information provided by most of the members but the "game thread" is nothing more than a cheer or vent forum. Whether it is positive or negative really should not make any difference. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I think it may be a good idea not to even have a game thread, just threads on certain topics like the offense, defense, or special teams. That way the posts are more than just gut reactions. Or atleast they are more organized gut reactions.

Negativity Intervention 101:

If you begin to feel slightly negative towards the B & G, simply remeber to follow these steps.

Step 1: Do Not Believe Everything you read in the papers or sports sites. These resources are chock full of negativity towards the Skins. They produce praise once in a blue moon.

Step 2: Joe is right. Say it with me..."Coach Gibbs knows way more about football and the Skins than I ever will." You may think you know what's going on, but you aren't anywhere close to having access to the team's strategy or present situation. The best method for getting as close as possible to the information is a daily dose of ES.

Step 3: Trust Joe, even when things seem dire. Remeber, this guy is a winner in everything he's attempted (except for a bad investment in the 80's). He's won multiple Super Bowls, multiple NASCAR championships, and was a world class raquetballer. For the past couple years, he's devoted countless hours to making the Skins better. It turns out that many of his off-season moves were simply genius.

Step 4: Good things are worth waiting for. Unfortunately for Gibbs, he timed his return after a season in which a returning Parcells went 10-6 with the Boys and set the bar high for Gibbs. For some reason, it seemed like everyone measured Gibbs' success based on how he'd compare with Parcells' first year with the Boys. Well, when the Skins went 6-10 (despite many close games and an injured QB), the doubters had a field day. Lesson learned: team rebuilding can take more than a sinlge season. And it looks like Joe is building a foundation made of stone, not sand.

Step 5: When in doubt, just ask Art (and many other veterans of ES). This site can usually provide "the other side" when it comes to a Redskin moment. Just take note of the clarity and cognizance demonstrated by Om and others when it comes to relating their perspective of the team. They truly are Skins fans first and can lead you to the promised land...if only you believe.

Step 6: Do your homework. Part of what generates negativity is a knee jerk reaction to something happening either on or off the field. Everything has a purpose. Do your research and follow the story. Maybe the situation is no big deal. Maybe there's much more to the story than you're seeing from the local rags. Be persistent in your pursuit of the truth.

Good luck.

I'm not sure I've yet to see someone here who's used the term realist to describe themselves has actually undertsood how that term is defined in the world of logical argument. Because that definition sure isn't well-represented by the posting styles or content I've seen employed by those I've seen to date. Yours is no exception.

A quick example: A true realist would never make the statement "the team doesn't always play at the level their capable of". The realist would state that each game played was done at exactly the level the team was capable of at that point in time and it could not be any other way. Real realists are literal and pragmatic. They don't engage in what-ifs or coulda/woulda/shoulda.

What you, and quite literally ALL the others I refer to, do is commit the ego pretention of awarding yourself a classification you think holds admirable value, just like saying "I'm being handsome". Actually, how the majority of other people label your communcation is much more likely to be objectively accurate than your perception of the same. Such announced "realists" here are usually just people whose speculations and theories are being given self-administered "special" status. There is such a thing as real realists though, so that could be a goal.

Do you feel better now? I hope so - because your response is unwarranted.

DCColes.

It isn't hard. The people I'm talking to know who they are and what they're doing. It's not a mystery.

AJ,

Glad you think so. Other places are much better. Enjoy :).

Game thread note:

No one here cares what goes on in the game thread. One person has been banned for a short period of time -- an Eagle fan being an idiot -- for comments in the game thread. Again, none of this is hard. Don't try and create boogiemen where they do not exist.

The symptom I'm addressing is easily identifiable.

Archived