Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm sick of people telling me...

#98QBKiller

Every week I refer to the latest Skins' game using phrases such as : "Man we really stomped Dallas this weekend."

or

"If we beat Philly it'll get us in the playoffs,"

and it always seems that someone wants to argue that I am not a part of the team and that I should stop referring to the Redskins using the word "we."

Who cares? I love this team so much that I feel like a part of it. There is nothing like going to FedEx field and terrorizing the opposing offense with relentless noise and waking up hoarse the next day from screaming your lungs out, bloody with support.

The fans are called "the 12th man" for a reason...because we have an impact on the game.

Anyone who is a true sports fan knows that they are part of their favorite team regardless of whether or not they have even had the opportunity to make it to one of their home games.

Do I get paid by the Washington Redskins to go to the games and heckle fans of the opposing team?

No, but I remain a part of this Redskins tradition.

I've been a Redskin longer than anyone on our team minus Joe Gibbs and there are thousands of fans out there that have been a part of this tradition for a long-ass time as well.

So, next time some idiot wants to whine about you referring to your favorite team in first-person. Tell them to shut up and that you aren't interested in a debate about semantics.

Go Skins!

Go Raiders! (for this one game anyway)

And no I won't be referring to the Raiders in first-person.

:eaglesuck :cheers:

Yes some people on here stress that we are not a part of the team. But I think that the difference between us who say "we" when referring to our favorite teams is because we live and die with our teams. It's called being a diehard. I say "we" and I see no problem with it.

i have never heard this contested, and i always refer to the Redskins and this board as "we." Sorry if anyone has said somthing like that, but i agree with you, i feel the same way

I'm with TOG. I use that type of expression all the time and no one's ever called me out on it. Use it! Live it! Love it!

It isn't often that I advocate this, nor do I think it should be undertaken with anything but great consideration and vengeful enmity--but have you ever conceived of murder as being a proper response to these self-righteous, snobbish sticks-in-the-mud?

As much $$$ as I've spent on Skins merchandise and memorabilia I feel I have a small stake in this team.

better yet, as many times i've lost my voice, or how many time's my Mondays have been ruined because of the game. WE ARE THE SKINS, and there's nobody that can tell me different.

I've always said We when referring to the Skins. It's just natural.

I don't think the OP was referring to this board, more referring to people he talks football with. I've had people, and family member make fun of me. I don't care though, I love the skins and they can kiss it.

WE will beat philly tomorrow!

Guest sith lord

We as fans, has every right to say "we" when refering to our favorite teams. Us fans are the reason these multi million dollar teams are in existance.

Ahh, the "we" issue...

Personally, I try to avoid it. However, I do consider myself part of the team's extended family, so to speak. Therefore, I don't get upset when people say "we". I DO get upset when people say things like, "we shouldn't be celebrating last weeks win anymore, it's time to turn our attention to next week's opponent." The PLAYERS have to focus on next week's opponents. We, the fans, have no such obligation and to pretend that we do or that OUR mindset has the slightest effect on the way our players perform, crosses the border into Fantasy Land.

Not that anyone cares, but my personal feelings on the use of we is:

it's appropriate when you're talking about something that is organizational. e.g., "we need to get a wide receiver this offseason" or "we've got a really tough schedule this year." Winning championships is an organizational accomplishment.

it's inappropriate when you're talking about something that is strictly player or coach orientated, as in "we blocked really well today" or "we came up with some really clever schemes to contain Barber." If you wanted to say "our O-line blocked well" or "our coaches schemed well", or even, "we got some good blocking from our offensive line", that would be different.

Not everything is so cut and dry, and it's hard to say where the distinction is sometimes, which is why I don't care too much when other people use "we" indiscriminately. In the case of your two examples, I try to avoid saying things like "we stomped Dallas" but I have no problem with saying "we need to beat Philly to get into the playoffs."

But that's just me.

PS...none of this should be construed to imply that I NEVER use we in a way I just described as inappropriate. As many here have said, it is a natural sort of thing to say. But I do try to avoid it.

What would happen if none of us considered ourselves part of the Redskins nation? Or, any other fans for any other teams for that matter? We wouldn't have rivalries......there would be no emotion.......what about this website, would it be necessary? Say "we" all you want people, WE deserve it!!!! GO SKINS, we love you!!!!!!!!!

I've always said We when referring to the Skins. It's just natural.

I don't think the OP was referring to this board, more referring to people he talks football with. I've had people, and family member make fun of me. I don't care though, I love the skins and they can kiss it.

WE will beat philly tomorrow!

Exactly. I wasn't referring to anyone here just some local idiots that I talk football with. :D

I say "we" as well...

What i'm sick of is when i see threads/posts on here saying that WE HAVE TO FOCUS ON THE PHILLY GAME INSTEAD OF THE PLAYOFFS!!!

What, the "we" on this board isn't strapping on the pads and playing...WE don't have anything to do with the philly game, except those going to the stink to cheer on the team..all WE can do is watch the game tomorrow...but they act like if WE don't just focus on that, we'll somehow help the team lose....i dont get it.

I say "we" as well...

What i'm sick of is when i see threads/posts on here saying that WE HAVE TO FOCUS ON THE PHILLY GAME INSTEAD OF THE PLAYOFFS!!!

What, the "we" on this board isn't strapping on the pads and playing...WE don't have anything to do with the philly game, except those going to the stink to cheer on the team..all WE can do is watch the game tomorrow...but they act like if WE don't just focus on that, we'll somehow help the team lose....i dont get it.

Now that one is an exception to the rule...I'd only feel it was weird if the philly game was treated as some sort of non-issue or foregone conclusion and it certainly hasn't been to any real degree...

What, the "we" on this board isn't strapping on the pads and playing...

Yeah, those are my favorite, as if Mark is scanning the threads and saying to himself, "Yeah, we got this on lock! I'm going to take it easy in film study this week."

And I'm not so sure about people on the board not playing. I can picture more than one cat oufitted in full pads and uniform, strapping on that helmet and throwing the football to himself in his backyard. Making diving catches, playing to the crowd, all of that.

Archived